Help! fat

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mstevens

Help! fat

Post by mstevens » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:47 pm

So it all seems to be going wrong. And my weight is well on the way up, and I'm not following no-s. And I've stopped getting any exercise.

I'm pondering one of the more 'traditional' dieting options like Slimming World. Or I could go back to no-s. Or run around in a panic.

Any suggestions?

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:16 pm

I highly do not recommend running around in a panic.

You could do a traditional diet and then be in the same place three weeks from now (been there).

My rec is go back to No-S habits and stay off the scale for awhile, and get out of panic mode where you can think clearly.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:31 pm

gingercake wrote:I highly do not recommend running around in a panic.
I don't know; it'd be good exercise.

"Go back to No-S" is my advice, but then it would be.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

mstevens

Post by mstevens » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:36 pm

But running is good exercise! :wink:

I think the reason the more traditional diets appeal is that they seem to integrate "eating healthy food" which is an area I feel like I'm lacking.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

1. calm down. This is a slow process. There's no rush. The sense of rush is just going to push you to bad decisions.

2. you have 2, possibly three problems: overeating, under-moving, (possibly) suboptimal nutrition

3. you need to address all these problems with moderate, sustainable habits. Not some crazy magazine scam.

4. for overeating and under-moving, use the habitcal to get you back on track with nos and try 14 minutes of N-daily exercise (you don't have to specify exactly what kind). Make yourself stick with the habitcal even after you think you've got the habit down. It's very little effort and buys a whole lot of insurance against backsliding. Get a timer for the exercise. You don't have to make any heroic exertions. The key is to commit to a small, clear something.

5. if you feel anxious about nutrition and want to address it systematically, do so positively instead of adding more dietary restrictions (no-s is clearly hard enough). For example: resolve to stick a piece of bulky, healthy fresh fruit on every plate. And/or come up with some intelligent dietary default meals. I would try not to worry about this too much because I think overeating in itself is BY FAR the biggest nutritional problem most of us first worlders have. Most of the panic about nutrition comes from people who want to sell you something. See Michael Pollan's article on nutritionism:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magaz ... ref=slogin

6. Be patient. Focus on habit, on ticking off green little boxes on the habitcal. Don't feel like you have to up the ante if you don't see immediate results. Just focus on a regular minimum level of literal compliance with the rules. That compliance builds habit, and habit is what is really going to solve your problems for you -- and keep them solved long term.

Reinhard