The Return of the Samurai

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Samurai

The Return of the Samurai

Post by Samurai » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:22 pm

::: key cool hero music::: and.. action! :!:

Hey Everyone
Just wanted to let you all know that I am back. We survived hurricane Emily with nary a scratch to be seen. There were a few trees blown over here and there, but for the most part our area came away unscathed.

We only lost power very intermittently and even then only for a few brief periods of time.

As a matter of fact, we've had worse occur during regular thunderstorms this year.

Regardless, the impending arrival of Emily and work obligations curtailed both my diet aspirations and my computer time, so I have neither been Nossing nor posting to the board. I had times this past couple of weeks where I had time to only eat one meal, let alone three, so as you can imagine I ate a lot of fast food and convenience store faux-foods.

But things look like they're returning to normal, both weather and work-wise, so I'll be posting again soon to the daily check in thread. I need to hit the grocery store first, but for those interested who were following my progress I'll start posting again on Monday.

I look forward to being back on the board. I missed you all!

p.s. I crossposted this message on my daily check in thread, too. :D
One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness. - Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:43 am

Welcome back, Samurai. We missed you, too.

As excuses go, Hurricanes are pretty good. Glad you weathered it ok, and sounds like diet-wise it may have been a wash anyway. Looking forward to your check-ins again on Monday.

"Last samurai" has finally made it to my netflix queue, over many wifely objections...

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:28 pm

Hi Samurai Al! Hope you can find a burrito fast after all that skipping meals!!! Or at least some BBQ!

Reinhard!
Enjoy the movie... It's a fun one :D

8) Peace and Love and pretend cinematic violence,
Deb

JWL

Post by JWL » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:23 am

I'd be curious to hear what you think of that film. I have mixed feelings about it. I actually don't mind Tom Cruise as an actor (his best film, imho, is Magnolia, which is also one of my absolute favorite movies ever).

But keep in mind I hold Lord of the Rings as the reference gold standard for movies of that genre; while The Last Samurai doesn't compare to that level, it is quite enjoyable, though its treatment of eastern philosophies is somewhat lightweight.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:12 am

Well, I'm finishing up watching Last Samurai now... Yes it's late... LOL..
I think it's over all, pretty good, but lacks something... Jeu ne se quois???

But here's my favorites to go and get from Netflix, next, Reinhard et al..
Akira Kurosawa's "Rashomon" and anything else by him, with Toshiro Mifune...
And I love Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon....

But my all time favorite is,,,,,,
John Belushi!!

So Capt. Nathan Allen,
Have you cultivated a stillness of mind and mastered the sword yet? :wink:
Peace,
8) Deb

I guess I'll have to check out Magnolia now!

Samurai

Last Samurai

Post by Samurai » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:50 am

So Capt. Nathan Allen,
Have you cultivated a stillness of mind and mastered the sword yet?
Um...

No. :cry:
One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness. - Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

Samurai

Guess who's coming to dinner?

Post by Samurai » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:36 pm

Thought I would drop in and see how everyone is doing. I had to bring in my hip waders to slosh through all the fat lbs. that have been lost around here since I've been gone. :shock:

Looks like NoS has picked up some new adherents, too! Despite having been away, I still feel that Reinhard's got the most common-sense 'eating' lifestyle around. Notice I didn't say 'diet?' :wink:

And I've read practically every diet book on the Walden's bookshelf: Atkins and South Beach, raw, vegan, low fat, calorie counting, food combining, Fuhrman, Ornish, and the Warrior Diet; I've browsed the 3-hour Diet and Mastering Leptin, read Body for Life, tried alternate and intermittent fasting both, which have to be the surest way to gain fat that I've experienced, and experimented with all of them to one degree or another.

But Reinhard's methods still appear to be the most sustainable and practical of all. It doesn't require record keeping, it won't make you a pariah among your friends and family, and has built in mechanisms to allow you all your favorite foods.

The fact I haven't been around the boards here and haven't followed the NoS principles in awhile in no way diminishes what I think of the NoS program itself, or its efficacy.
:shock:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:47 pm

Hi Allen!!!
I like your new signature!
We miss you!!!!

I have often felt you can really tell what a person is like from the way they treat you when they have "no use" for you....

I encourage you to adhere to NOS even if it's only
"Half essed"...
You are a great guy! Don't give up on this "plan"!!!
You don't have to be perfect to make good progress!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:52 pm

Dude! Er, I mean, dude-san! Welcome back!

It's nice to "see" you again -- and also nice to know if I ever fall off the wagon & climb back on I'll be in great company!
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

Big Phil

Samurai

Post by Big Phil » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:08 am

Mi Samurai,
I have only been around for a little while so I didn't know you were missing, but welcome back anyway!
I just want to wade in here on the movie thing. When Deb recommended Rashomon to Reinhard I could no longer hold my silence. If you enjoyed "The Last Samurai" then you have to see "Seven Samurai" by Kurosawa. Possibly the greatest action film of all time! Last Samurai is quite a beautiful film visually, but Seven Samurai is one of those movies you have to see before you die!

Phil.

PS Deb, I can't mud wrestle you - you are obviously too scawny to offer any resistance to the Mighty PhiloSaurus!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:53 am

Oh rats!
I never get to have any fun!!! :lol:
(Though I must point out that you are far from accurate by describing me as "scrawny" LOL....)

Yeah, Toshiro Mifune just had that Samurai thing down pat!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:59 am

Hey there, Samurai, glad you're back!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:14 pm

Keep on returning, Samurai. We love your posts, and sometimes the right idea needs the right time to click. Keep one foot here and when the right time comes, all you have to do is shift your balance a little.