Starting over

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

katie1980

Starting over

Post by katie1980 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:53 pm

Hi guys and gals.

I was "here" before, while I was posted in Malaysia for work, and the No S system really helped me. I have been diagnosed for a couple of years with impaired glucose tolerance, and not eating refined sugar during the week made a massive difference to my health. Not only was my weight slowly trickling down, but I was getting far, far less sugar "episodes" as my blood sugars were far more stable due to healthier eating habits. But coming home and living in hotels and the like while our house was sorted out threw it all out of the window.

You know, the No S was helping more than I knew - by eating badly all week, I was getting awful highs and lows, feeling the need to snack (which I'd kicked almost 100% while at work in the week), and generally not helping myself. So I've been thinking for a while (couple weeks plus) that I ought to start again on the No S, and get back into the habits - especially as I have to go for my Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) in a couple of weeks, and feel I'm slipping further down the path towards full-blown diabetes. Better to at least do one thing that I know helps, eh?!

And I'm really disappointed, but Amazon.co.uk have stopped stocking the No S book themselves - you have to buy it through a third party :( I knew I ought to have ordered it as soon as we got home, but it was difficult while we never knew where we'd be staying from one week to the next! Ah well, I'll just order it anyway, as it is a necessary addition to my bookshelf, I think.

I'll possibly be back lurking round here for a bit while I get back into the habit. I've only been working on this for 2 days so far, today is the third, and already I *really* want one of the donuts on the coffee bar outside this office! So far, I'm managing to resist by telling myself that I want the green square on my habitcal, and the sticky star in my Filofax more than the donut, but it's a close call! I'm glad I only have one more hour at work, then I can go home and the donut will no longer be within reach...!!!

Thanks for reading!
{{hugs}} Katie xxx
Last edited by katie1980 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:30 pm

Katie,

welcome back! Yes get the book, totally worth it.

I keep track of my blood sugars and have watched them steadily go up over the years [fasting 70s and low 80s into 90s], but finally with nosing they are starting to come back down again. [note: i do prefer to keep my fasting levels at 85 or below, when they get into upper 80s and 90s it is clear i am not going in right direction healthwise]

apparently for me, after years of binging on sweets my body cannot process sugar like it used to, i am really glad i have No S to help me steer clear of that stuff which is not a "food group" :D on N Days!

obviously it is doing a world of good for my body!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:06 pm

Welcome!

In the past, I used to go on "sugar fasts" periodically when I felt my intake had gotten out of control and was approaching "addiction" behavior. It usually took about 3-5 days for the cravings to go a way.

So you're CLOSE. Hang in there! :)

(With No-S, I don't need "sugar fasts" because a weekend isn't long enough to go out of control. A real benefit.)

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:02 am

KCCC wrote:Welcome!

In the past, I used to go on "sugar fasts" periodically when I felt my intake had gotten out of control and was approaching "addiction" behavior. It usually took about 3-5 days for the cravings to go a way.

So you're CLOSE. Hang in there! :)

(With No-S, I don't need "sugar fasts" because a weekend isn't long enough to go out of control. A real benefit.)
Thanks :) It's good to know it ought to stop soon - the temptation yesterday was immense! Funnily enough, when I started No S before, it was the snacking I was struggling with - I kept feeling hungry all morning before lunch, but I've been doing pretty well at keeping that habit, but my chocolate/ cakes/ sugar consumption was out of hand again. So it's not massively surprising that this is what I'm struggling with this week! I'm sure it would have been easier, though, if they'd had to donuts last week so I could have had one, instead of only bringing them back on the *day* I started having no sugar in the week again! :lol:

I definitely find it better knowing I can eat various things of a weekend, though - it's not anywhere near so far off as "when I get to target"!! At the rate I've been going the past couple of years, we could be talking decades before I'm "sorted"!! :wink:

I'm looking forward to this weekend *loads* - I'm really tired this week (probably linked to the sudden reduction of sugar highs keeping me "up"), and looking forward to making some gingerbread cake men as my treat.

Thanks for the support - it means a lot :)
Not eating sugar helps me stay "stable"

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:10 am

blueskighs wrote:Katie,

welcome back! Yes get the book, totally worth it.

I keep track of my blood sugars and have watched them steadily go up over the years [fasting 70s and low 80s into 90s], but finally with nosing they are starting to come back down again. [note: i do prefer to keep my fasting levels at 85 or below, when they get into upper 80s and 90s it is clear i am not going in right direction healthwise]

apparently for me, after years of binging on sweets my body cannot process sugar like it used to, i am really glad i have No S to help me steer clear of that stuff which is not a "food group" :D on N Days!

obviously it is doing a world of good for my body!

Blueskighs
I ordered the book yesterday afternoon - it ought to be with me in a week, maybe less. I'm looking forward to that.

I have no idea what the numbers are for my sugars - I just know how I feel when I eat too much of the stuff, or leave it too long between meals so I fall off the proverbial cliff. I'll see what the blood test says in a couple of weeks and if I'm not doing well but not yet diabetic, I might see f the docs recommend keeping an eye on the numbers. I'm just glad I've found a plan that I know I can stick to, even if I don't lose weight on it very quickly at all! It's soooo much easier to have black and white rules. I had to eat something before dinner last night, as I could feel "the cliff" rapidly approaching, but dinner was going to be a while for various reasons - I searched the kitchen high and low to find something that wasn't chocolate and didn't need cooking, as I needed some food but didn't want to sacrifice my green square for it! :lol: I managed it, too. I know it's classed as a snack, but this week at least I'm concentrating on the most important habit for me, which is the sugar aspect. Once that's there, I'll go back to working on snacking (as I said, snacking's no longer anything like the problem it used to be for me - that was the original reason I started with No S over a year ago!!).

Your support means a lot - thanks for replying :)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:07 am

katie1980,
The book is excellent, but I also have found a lot of additional valuable tips in the podcasts which are available on this web site. Good luck!
Kathleen

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:05 pm

Kathleen wrote:katie1980,
The book is excellent, but I also have found a lot of additional valuable tips in the podcasts which are available on this web site. Good luck!
Kathleen
Yeah, I keep meaning to go and listen to those (and more than likely download them!) when I'm not on a work computer. I ought to write myself a reminder!
Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

rose

Post by rose » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:09 pm

Hi Katie, how are you?
found back your habits already?
Started NoS Jan 07 at 74.5kg (164 lbs, BMI 26.7)
Stable since Jan 08 at 64kg (141 lbs, BMI 23)
My progress chart

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:18 pm

The sugar avoidance habit is back, but I'm finding I'm getting hungry mid-morning at the moment. The next thing to work on is getting the no snacking going again! I'm definitely feeling better with less sugar in my diet, though some days are difficult as I'd love to eat something "banned"!! :lol:

Thanks for asking :)