Weight loss challenges

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Samurai

Weight loss challenges

Post by Samurai » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:16 pm

Well, maybe I finally found my motivation to stick with it for more than 3 days. :oops:

A friend and I have bet a day's treatment at a local spa, $100 value, on who will lose the most weight in 30 days. Weigh in is Sept. 1.

I am much heavier than she is, a large male where she is a petite female, so we're going to judge the winner by a percentage of weight lost. In other words, if I lose 10 lbs at 200#, which is 5%, and she loses 8 lbs at #125, she would win the bet at 6.4% of beginning weight lost. What do you think of this method for calculating the winner?

I realize there are other ways to lose weight quicker than NoS, like low carb or all-raw, but I want to take this opportunity to build NoS habits that will last after thirty days.

We were joking that, on the eve of Day 30, I am going to sit in a sauna for a few hours and have my sons carry me to the scale. :lol:

I'll let you all know how it goes, if you're interested.

Caveat: I realize that losing weight super fast isn't the way it's supposed to be done, yada yada yada, but like I said, this is a good opportunity, win or lose, to build long term habits that I have been struggling with on my own. Thats why I'm going to use NoS as opposed to one of the fad diets. So - wish me luck: not to win but to stick with it for 30 days! :D
One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness. - Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:33 pm

Sounds like a fun way to get yourself back onto the NoS path. Best of luck!!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:22 pm

Stick with it Samurai!
A massage is a great treat as a motivator!!!
(of course I am biased towards that being a massage therapist!)

No sweat boxes though!!! :lol:

I hope you have a great month!!!
Are you going to start posting on a Daily Checkin again?

Promise that after the contest you won't leave us though!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go for it!!!
I say if you both are good all month long, you should both get treatments to reward yourself regardless of who wins....
(But who get's the tab??? LOL....)

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Samurai

Good idea

Post by Samurai » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:01 pm

I say if you both are good all month long, you should both get treatments to reward yourself regardless of who wins....
(But who get's the tab??? LOL....)
Great idea, Deb, but like you said - who gets the tab? LOL

I had thought of 'days on habit,' like we do here, but she isn't a NoSser and eats snacks and stuff, so I didn't think that would work. :(
One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness. - Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

Justin

Post by Justin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:16 pm

Samurai,
I've been doing a similar challenge/competition. See my thread New Goal.

Good luck!

J

Samurai

Just read it

Post by Samurai » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:57 pm

Hey Justin
I just happened to read through your thread before I saw your post. Looks like you're having some success! How tall are you, by the way? I'm 5'10 and my GOAL weight is 185! LOL

Justin

Re: Just read it

Post by Justin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:22 pm

Samurai wrote:Hey Justin
I just happened to read through your thread before I saw your post. Looks like you're having some success! How tall are you, by the way? I'm 5'10 and my GOAL weight is 185! LOL
I'm 5'10" or so. I was hovering just above 190 and that seemed a bit too much for my body type. Really, it wasn't about the weight. More just that I felt badly about my body. Having pictures taken of you while at the beach in only shorts can be very humbling! Also, I went to a couple of family reunions in Ohio where I overate!

Anyhow, now that I've reached my goal, I'm going to try to go a little further. I just feel much more energetic and better about myself, in spite of the fact that my jobs ends in two weeks and I don't know how I'll pay the mortgage! :D

J

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:29 pm

Samurai, I think this is a great idea. Naturally, losing more weight quicker isn't the best goal, but:

1) money is a powerful motivator. This is the "secret" behind the fantastic bods of the hollywood stars: the seven+ figure diet.

2) even if it ain't quite seven figures, honor's at stake (especially compelling for a Samurai). I've seen astonishing things done (quitting smoking, etc), on bets for trifling, token sums.

3) you've done a smart thing in consciously selecting a long term solution for a short term goal. Even if you don't win on pounds at the end of the month, if you've stuck with it, and established the habit, you've won something much bigger.

Keep us posted. You're championing the whole system, not just yourself, in this!

Reinhard

Samurai

Contents under pressure

Post by Samurai » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:56 pm

Keep us posted. You're championing the whole system, not just yourself, in this!
WOW! THE PRESSURE! LOL!

Just kidding! Thanks for the support everyone. I like the three points that you listed, Reinhard. Very good. :!:

We'll be weighing in later, I'll post my (and my opponent's) weights and body fat percentage later.

See you at the scale! :wink:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:39 am

Ha ha ha!!!
Samurai, when I read what Reinhard wrote you, I immediately thought to post,,, "The pressure is on now!"

I think it's good pressure though...

Do not fail!!!!! :lol:
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

(whose BMI is way too messed up to even ever consider mentioning!!!)
You've got guts!

Samurai

Katrina

Post by Samurai » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:59 am

I really feel kinda silly calling anything a 'challenge', after watching the destruction hurricane Katrina has left in its wake, you know?

Contest weigh in:

Me: Wt: 210.2 BF%: 28%
Her: Wt: 123.6 BF%: 29%

Just to give you an example of how much your weight can fluctuate, we weighed in last night around 10 PM. Just for giggles, I weighed myself this morning, same scale: 207.6.

The scale uses electrical impedence to determine body fat percentage. Its usually over by about 4-6%, depending on the quality of manufacture. Your body fat percentage will also vary by a few points depending on how much water you're retaining at the time. But it still gives you something to go by, so you can tell whether you're going up or down.