Navin's sort-of-daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

navin

Navin's sort-of-daily check-in

Post by navin » Thu May 19, 2005 12:10 am

I doubt I'll update this daily... especially the next couple weeks while I'm on a road-trip vacation and only have sporadic access (at best) to e-mail.

I guess I've ben doing this for about X00 days, so I'll count this as Day X01.

It was near flawless. I did have one chocolate covered macadamia nut. A co-worker offered them, and I had never had one before so I had to try it. This is actually another side benefit of No-S... I only ate *one* to see what it would taste like, didn't eat a whole bag like I would have in my pre-no-S days. (for those who are interested, they are REALLY good! I'll definitely have more of those some fine S-day.)

Today and the next few days won't be stellar - I am eating out more than I normally would becuase I don't want to cook and have leftovers that will go bad in two weeks. But I should be fine over the road trip - as long as I don't buy snacks at gas stations I'll be fine. 8)

ida

Post by ida » Thu May 19, 2005 11:40 am

Weldone for just having the one of the nuts. I think not eating sugar most of the time makes you really appriciate it when you get it, and its very impressive you have such self restraint.

But more to the point: Enjoy your vacation! I hope the weather is beautiful and the roads are empty! 8)

Love Ida xx

navin

Post by navin » Sat May 21, 2005 2:43 am

Thanks Ida! Who knows what the weather will be like - there might even be snow in some of the mountainous areas!

But as for No-S, it really shouldn't be that difficult... in fact I started No-S on a road trip on a Monday, all I have to do is resist buying snacks at gas stations.

But I do think on this trip I may have a little extra tolerance for "screw-ups" - if there is something really good that would be difficult to obtain back home, such as some local specialty or something, I'm going for it!

Oh yeah, as for the daily check-in: Thursday, A-OK. Friday I made an S-day becuase of a wedding. Even still I did decent, had some cake of couse.. :D

gratefuldeb67

Hi Navin

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun May 22, 2005 6:35 pm

Remember Navin, stay clear of those Grizzely bears in Jellystone National Park! Hey boo boo buddy!!!!!!!
Also, make sure that you're S days don't stand for
SASQUATCH! :P
LOL...
Bring me back a giant pinecone from the great outdoors!
Love,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:44 am

Okay, I'm baaaaaack.

Days X04 though X17-
I did much better than I expected. I followed the letter-of-the-law perfectly. The problem I had though was that I ate out a whole lot more than I typically do. It's kind of hard not to on a road trip... the options are either eating out or buying groceries that won't spoil, which worked a few times but can be limiting (you get tired of PB&J after a while...)

(I did not have any sweets on any N-days, though had thouse Saskatoon berry chocolates found me during an N day, I think I still would have given in.)

The net result as far as weight was concerned was about what I expected - stayed about the same as I was two weeks ago. (Fortunatley, hiking probably helped offset the excessive portion sizes.)

gratefuldeb67

Hey Navin R. Johnson...

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:42 am

Did you eat any "Pizza in a cup" LOL... (that was in the Jerk, remember? LOL!)
So how was the road trip? Glad the grizzely bears didn't getcha!
Love,
Deb
Congrats on you willpower and habits!!!!!! Excellent!!!!!!!!!!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:25 am

Welcome back, Navin. That sounds great. Sticking to the letter of the law like you did in trying times is like digging impassable trenches and building impenetrable fortifications. You can't always be on the offense, and status quo is a victory for the defense. As for the fortunate timing of the chocolate berries (and to beat this military analogy to death), no general is so great that he disdains a little luck. Beyond the results, by resisting the temptations of all that irregularity around you, you've seriously buffed up your willpower and habit.

navin

Post by navin » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:54 am

Today: success. I made my own dinner tonight, and boy it feels good to eat real food after two weeks of restaurants and fast-food. (Crab quesadillas with mango salsa, if anyone's curious. Tasted good but presentation was not quite up to snuff - the top tortilla kept sliding off...)

navin

Post by navin » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:16 pm

Today: not so good... had a piece of ice cream cake as one of the guys at work just finished up a master's degree. I would have had no problem had I waited a little while to congratulate him... the cake would have been long gone. Well, tomorrow is another day, and hockey tonight will help me work off those extra calories anyway.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:16 pm

Social pressure is funny... it seems like such a convincing excuse. Until you realize two hours later how easy it would have been to get out of it without giving any offense whatsoever. But I can't speak from the heights on this issue: had the same problem myself recently.

navin

Post by navin » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:31 am

Well, the rest of the week was a success*. (And I'm down another lb. since last week.)

* Yes, I am counting today, even though the day isn't over. You might say that is overconfidence... and I know overconfidence was the weakness of the Sith and many others, but I'm still counting it. Friday nights are actually pretty easy for me, since I know I can have whatever I want the next morning..

Of course, part of this success could be that I can't really afford any extra food, as the credit card bill containing much of my vacation just came in...
:shock:

navin

Post by navin » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:20 am

Monday - Thursday: all success! Now only Friday stands between me and a weekend of freedom....

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:04 am

Whoo-hoo! Friday! Go Navin!
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

navin

Post by navin » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:51 pm

Thanks, Click! Hope you have a great weekend too...

BTW, Friday: Success! I may have gone overboard a little with the Denny's fish and chips, but it was good....

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:47 pm

Hi Naaaayyyyviiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnn!
Thats all.
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:12 am

Okay, time for the mid-week checkin.

Monday: Success!
Tuesday: Success!
Wednesday: Er....

Well, Wed. wasn't too bad, but that lunch buffet did me in. Didn't have seconds, but I did have a piece of apple pie-like stuff. (Kind of like a mix between apple pie and a breadstick, if you can imagine that.)

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:47 pm

"Kind of like a mix between apple pie and a breadstick, if you can imagine that."

Yes, they do try to sneak those strange things in at restaurants, don't they? LOL My stepmom (who eats out probably 10 times a week) calls bread "the kiss of death". Dramatic? Maybe. I have been considering the bread a "snack" unless it can fit on my plate after the food has arrived.

Navin, is Navin your real name? I think it is really cool.

Have a great S weekend.

Dru

navin

Post by navin » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:17 am

Heh, not quite. My real name is Nathan, I just use "Navin" becuase it's the name of the main character in the Steve Martin movie, "The Jerk". :D

BTW, Dru is a pretty cool name.

Oh yeah, today: Success! Though face to face with some brownies and baklava-like-stuff at a Habitat for Humanity house dedication, I just took some of those home and they are in the fridge, awaiting the weekend.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:01 am

(Navin singing in the bathtub.......)
"I'm picking out a thermos, for you..... Not an ordinary thermos, for you...."
Hey!!! Good control at that Brownie crossroad!
Enjoy it this weekend! You get brownie points now!!!
:lol:
Love,
Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:08 am

Navin: from "the Jerk". Classic. Now you've got me thinking about what character name I'd choose. I'll have to get back to you on that.

I am extremely proud of you that you took those desserts home and are saving them for your S day. That is serious discipline. I took my kid to Cold Stone Creamery tonight and sucked on a water bottle so I guess I get a pat on the back too.

Cheers.

Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:26 am

Sorry Navin, Nathan, Steve Martin or whoever you are already!
But I'm writing to Dru now... :lol:
Dru! Water while watching your child eat ice cream must take nerves of steel! Major Kudos to you! For me, that would be total torture...
I take my S days with my son... I don't know how old your kids are, but if they are at all able to do this with you, on some small scale, maybe just the Sweets part of NoS, you might want to encourage them to join you and be you home support network... That would make them feel good because it's rare that kids feel that parents really need help with anything... I think a lot of parents feel the need to be the pillars of strength in the family so they don't tend to ask or expect their kids to help them... So it's a little bit of "role reversal" when you ask "could you be my supporter here, and do NoS with me" but who knows, they may just do it with you, like Richard does with me.
Then you can have "S Day" celebrations to look forward every week...
With us, it's really a highly anticipated day, and we enjoy sharing guilt free indulgences together! Plus, it's really important to start those healthy habits young...
Anyhooo, congrats again on your unbelievable water sucking abilities!
Keep on Truckin!
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:50 pm

Deb - even on "my" thread, you still have your First amendment right to say what you want, even if it not directly to me, so no need to apologize. :D

As for Friday: success! Dinner almost did me in... the catfish dinner with two sides wouldn't fit all on one plate by any stretch of the imagination. I ended up taking some of it home, it'll be lunch today.

Oh yeah, after weighing in Friday afternoon, I'm holding steady at 179. I seem to have hit a little plateau, though admittedly this last week wasn't the greatest. And also, the 20 lbs I recently lost had been put on in the last few years. Now I'm into the "old fat" - the stuff that's been around since high school.

Happy S-weekend, y'all.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:20 pm

Old fat dies hard buddy... We're with ya! And boy, I would feel happy to be your weight right now, so it's all relative...
Okay cuz'?
You should see the tractor tire I have hanging down in front of me these days... (or not! LOL...)
Just love yourself and you will make it! That's what we all have to do!
Oh, and do NoS very strictly too!
Yay us!

Fried Catfish... Yum!
Have a nice lunch of it :)
8) Peace
Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:38 pm

My husband and I got hooked on catfish when we were living in southern Louisiana. Now we get our fix at Famous Dave's, and it's a darn good meal. They sure do give you a lot of food, though! There's almost always enough for lunch the next day.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:51 pm

Hey Navin! I forgot to mention that your avatar is so cute and funny!
Very appropriate for you!
It looks so geeky/nerdy too!
Oh, btw, I guess your culinary subliminal suggestion weeded it's way into my mind from your last post..
We had fish and chips for lunch now! LOL...and it fit on one plate!
See you later
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:03 am

My avatar is "Wally" from the Dilbert comic. He is always able to find creative and novel ways to avoid doing work, so I can relate to him. :)

Oh yeah..
Monday: success!
Tuesday: success!

Wednesday I'm going to try to make this chicken and dumpling bake... we'll see how that goes.

navin

Post by navin » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:22 pm

The rest of the week was a success. Now I'm ready for the long weekend. 8)

As far as weight, I''m still around 179, which is where I've been for a while now. I think part of my problem this week was little things like cheese and crackers. Even though it was always part of a meal, it still ends up being like a snack, as I just eat more food at the meal.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:13 pm

Hey Nate!
Have a great fantastic and terrific weekend!!!
You are doing great, and kudos to you for really thinking out what is going on with your eating..... You are actually one of the reasons I have stuck it out with NoS... I don't know if I really told you that before, on or off list... You have stuck with it and I am sooooo impressed... Yaaaayyyy!

It sounds to me, since you've been on a plateau a bit, that, rather than freaking over a few crackers and cheese (although they do add up, so yes it's worth considering it), maybe it's time to add some cardiovascular stuff into the mix....
Are you exercising these days? Hockey? Nok Hockey?....
I believe that exercise is the best way to knock you off that plateau....
It tells your body, "I am not dying here... I can burn some fat and still live..."
I suggest a combo of Walking, SG, and my most favorite exercise ever...
Yoga... Check out if there's a class somewhere...
Who knows, you might just hook up with some very limber chick who likes Wally from Dilbert too!
Love and Best Wishes,
Your friend
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:53 pm

Hey Deb-

That's just the thing, I actually do exercise pretty frequently. Hockey is over, but I've been walking, biking and running some, plus strength training a couple times a week. I have not tried yoga but have tried pilates (which is kinda similar) and absolutely HATED it! It really hurt my back - not in a good, "wow what a good workout" type hurt. I think I'll avoid that kind of stuff. (And as for the women - they were all middle-aged married women. Since I'm not the homewrecker type, not much for me to work with there!)

I probably could exercise a little more - or at least a little more consistently.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:25 pm

Chac un a son gout! :lol:
Peace,
8) Deb

Good luck figuring this out!!!

navin

Post by navin » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:19 am

To each his own goo? :? :)

Obvisouly, being the patriotic American I am, I took July 4 as an S-day. I had some cookies left over in the evening, though I could have legally scarfed them down, I put them in the freezer. I have no idea what they'll taste like come this weekend when they thaw out, but we'll see...

Today was a rousing success of an N-day after the long weekend. Who would have though that some leftover potatoes, a mango, and some jalapeno poppers would make for a satisfying meal? (yeah, the "clean out the fridge and eat things before they go bad" meal.. :oops: )

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:01 pm

I have strange meals like that all the time!
It's something you should be proud of... Why be a wasteful person when there are so many people less fortunate?
Besides all those things sound yummy!
Have a great day and many more rousing successes!
Love,
8) Deb

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:46 pm

Sometimes those 'clean out the fridge' meals can be the most interesting and imaginative meals around. It sounded good to me! :D
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head".

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:15 pm

Nathan?????

Where are you????

Dru

navin

Post by navin » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:28 pm

Indeed, I've had some good cleaning-out-the-fridge meals. Often to use up veggies or mushrooms and stuff, I'lll just throw 'em into a pizza and it seems like it always works.

Oh yeah:
Weds: success
Thurs: success

Today is my weekly weigh-in, and, surprise, I'm sitll 179. But this week that's a very good thing after a gluttonous 3-day independence day weekend.

Another highlight - I've taken home some pumpkin roll and a piece of cake from work and will serve as a nice S-day treat this weekend.

navin

Post by navin » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:52 am

Friday: success

Now I'm getting ready to ride my bicycle to the post office, just for the heck of it (and yeah, gas really IS that expensive now).

navin

Post by navin » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:00 pm

Monday: success
Tuesday: success

OK- since posting photos is all the rage on this board, figured I'd follow suit. This is a very recent photo of me (don't be fooled by the snow, that was taken in June in Glacier Nt'l Park.) I probably have some better ones that are digitized, but not yet online.

This picture represents about the middle of my road to thinness. When I started this No-S schindig about a year ago, I was 20 lbs heaver, but I would like to drop another 20 lbs before it's all said and done.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:42 pm

Hey!!!
What's "Wally" doing on a Glacier anyways??? LOL...
I thought you looked like Steve Martin! LOL...
Gee that fresh air must have been something eh?
Great photo Nate!
You look really fit already :)
Imagine,,,
A normal person, on a normal glacier, doing a normal diet???
Pioneers are we! Born to be free! (sung to the melody "Rebels are we" from Bananas...)
ps.. Did you make it all the way to the summit?
We know you will with NoS!
There's no rush here... That mountain, like us, will be here for many years to come... slow and steady wins the race.
It will be said, and it will be done!
So speaketh the Deb!
See ya later on a glacier Nater!

(Lord, have mercy on me and forgive my silly irreverence here! Hee hee....)

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:41 am

Nathan:

You look pretty cute to me!!! :wink:

You should get that photo up on the wall it is really cool.

Take Care,

Dru

navin

Post by navin » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:13 am

Deb,
Hmm, Glacier Nater sounds like a Ben and Jerry's flavor or something. :)

Dru,
Thanks! If it were to go on a wall, I might have to take down my "Newfoundland Speed Bump" (a poster of a moose), and now I'd hate to do that.

Anyway, today (Weds): success. Made some pumpkin bread and had it with my pasta... good stuff. There is some sugar in the bread but not too much, probably no more than in regular bread, plus pumpkin is fairly nutritious in its own right.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:04 pm

Pumpkin bread = yum. Total yum. Or is pumpkin seed bread something different...?

Anyway, can't wait for Thanksgiving to make pumpkin bread :)

navin

Post by navin » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:36 pm

Hmm, not sure if i've ever had pumpkin seed bread. The stuff I made uses canned pureed pumpkin in it - the same stuff you use to make pumpkin pie.

But regardless, it certainly was good. :)

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:25 am

Riiiiiight. I do this a lot: when I read something, I somehow visually steal letters from another part of the document and incorporate them into the sentence that I'm reading, so that what read was "pumpkin seed bread" from "pumpkin bread" and "Speed Bump" from the line above. My bad.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:27 am

PS I repeat: pumpkin bread = yum.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:16 am

Blondie and Navin, you are making me laugh..
Pumpkins, bread, seeds, speed!??? I am so confused!!!!!
And this is making me want to invade a bakery soon...
And eat some pumpkin seeds!
:P Love,
Deb

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:00 am

Bump pumpkin speed bread. (say five times fast)

Navin ... what a cutie you are ;) . I think you are giving all the girls goose bumps!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:12 am

He is cute isn't he?

Goosebumps? No, he gives girls speedbumps.....
:wink:
(look as long as it's not something that requires calamine lotion...)

Who knew that Pumpkin bread could be such a powerful aphrodesiac?
"Go Figure!"
LOL.....

Love,
8) Deb

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:00 am

Nathan:

I'm not sure I'd call a moose a speed bump. More of a mobile car crushing machine. :lol:
Not that I've ever seen one in person - I've eaten moose but never seen one. My brother, on the other hand, has run across several (I was going to say "run in to" but then I don't think he'd survive).
I love that picture of you, but I confess I spent more time looking at the background. I'm a sucker for mountains and snow. :)
That pumpkin bread sounds yummy. I've never had that either - pumpkin cheesecake, yes, pumpkin bread, no. Did you make it yourself or was it a bakery treat?
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head".

navin

Post by navin » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:22 am

Y'all are crazy... but very entertaining. :)

Thanks for the kind words about my photo... women calling me "cute"... weird concept....

Sybil:
Aren't those mountains fabulous? That was off of the Road to the Sun in Glaier Nt'l Park.. which is really part of Glacier/Watterton international peace park. The Canadian side of it is pretty cool in its own right, but to see those big mountains up close, you have to come this side of the border.

I made the pumpkin bread myself. The recipe is in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (red/white checkered.) I'd recommend that cookbook to anyone - not only does it have good recipies but it also goes over a lot of basic cooking concepts. Like how to make plain old "cooked chicken" for like chicken salad and stuff.

And for the update:
Thursday, Friday: success. And finally, the scale moved off of the mark it's been on for a while, and it's registering a paultry 176. Now, admittedly that was after an unusually long walk, but it's probably not that far off the mark.

Have a great S-weekend.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:32 am

Good work Nathan!!! I'm so psyched for you that you broke your plateau!!!
Three pounds down is certainly not paltry....
(but "plain old chicken" is definitely poultry...)

You're right...We are crazy!!!
(But it takes one to know one! :wink: )

I've been thinking of trying to make myself start walking soon...
It's hot during the day, but really nice after dinner....
Anyone else do early evening walks?
I need to motivate on this fast...
Have a great evening!
I am very happy for you!!!
Love,
8) Deb "your crazy friend" Feder

navin

Post by navin » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:18 am

Walks are great... it definitely helps though if you have company (another human or a dog). For me it can be tough becuase there are no sidewalks on my street - but I have been taking advantage of this week as I'm dog-sitting for my parents' dogs while they are travelling, so I've been getting plenty of walking in.

Parks, of couse, are also good places to walk. Deb, you got any good parks nere where you live? Sure, there's Central park, but that's probably a bit out of the way for you...

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:45 pm

Deb -- yes, I do early evening walks! Try to do them every night ... right about when evening begins, and the late afternoon sun has gone behind the buildings and trees. I walk for about 45 minutes and wrap up when it's almost dark.

I live in the city, so I just pick different routes and use the sidewalks.

I broke my leg last year and got really unfit while I was laid up, so I had to start from scratch ... with a walker! I worked up to a couple times around the block ... then longer and longer ... now I can walk as many miles as I want ...

(... except we are undergoing the Yearly Unmentionable (our summer) for the next couple of months, so it's hard to motivate more than 2 miles right now. )

Anyway, it only takes about 3 weeks to work up from total couch potato to mile-or-more walker, so I think it's a great way to exercise. And it would be a great motivator for me while I'm out there in the heat to think of you walking in the evenings too!

navin

Post by navin » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:37 pm

Monday, Tuesday: success.

I was strangely inspired at work tdoay... there's this one guy who puts a weekly trivia question on the wall by his office door. Today's went something like this: The Metric unit of mass is a kilogram. The English equivilant , the pound, is really a measure of weight, not mass. So what is the English meausre of mass?"

OK, for those who aren't physics buffs, the difference between weight and mass is that weight takes into account gravity (force.), whereas mass is the amount of matter in something. For instance, here on Earth I weigh about 180 pounds, but on Mars I'd only be about 68 pounds. As cool as that sounds, I'd still be the same mass - same ol' fatso on both planets.

So really instead of losing "weight" we all want to lose "mass". So then, in answer to the question, what is the unit of mass in the English system, and why would I be inspired by it?

Yep, it's the "slug"!

Obviously I want to get as many slugs out of my body as I can. :) A slug is about 32 lbs (here on Earth), so once I've lost a full slug, I'll have to celebrate or something.

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:29 am

Navin, you are the king of geek chic, and I am about to get such a crush on you.

Betsy

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:21 am

I second Betsy. :wink:

Dru

navin

Post by navin » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:29 pm

Betsy's crush would be OK, but Dru, aren't you married with kids? With Deb's recent experience, I don't think this message board needs two homewreckers. :D :D

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:36 pm

Well Nathan, I meant the part about Geek Chic. Yes, I am already happily married to my own Geek. :lol: :lol: I will add however that you are not a "fat old slob" as you referred to yourself. Stop that negative self-talk. You are a very handsome guy. I can say that and still be married, so there :!: :!:

navin

Post by navin » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:40 pm

Nah, I enjoy poking fun at myself, hence the "fat slob" comment. I've found that life is much easier if you can learn to laugh at yourself (and it's usually more socially acceptable than laughing at others. :) )

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:00 am

Ha ha! Nathan T Cook! I'm gonna wreck you!!!!!!
Love,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:12 pm

Well, yesterday was a success. Today was a "successful failure", kind of like Apollo 13. The deal was, my boss had this elaborate plan to concoct a surprise birthday "meeting" for a co-worker turing 40. He thought it was just a regular meeting, but a bunch of us, along with his wife and kids, were lurking in the conference room with cake. :)

I knew about this ahead of time so I had a smaller lunch and a piece of cake (really GOOD cake, too). So, sure I had cake, but my intent was to make sure that was the *only* S I had that day.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:04 am

Houston, we have a problem...
A delicious problem!
LOL...
Good for you for only having a little S and not a lot!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:43 pm

Hey! What's your weight on Pluto?
LOL.....
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:04 pm

Well, Friday = success, though just barely. Friend and I tried out a new Mexican restaurant. It was good, but the portion sizes are huge... you know, you order one meal and it comes on two plates. I ended up taking home half of my enchiladas and the remainder made for at lesat a reasonable meal.

Friday weigh-in was about what I expected. I figured last wee's was a fluke (long walk last week right before weighing probably dehydrated me). So this week's stats:
178 lbs (or for Deb: 12 on Pluto :) )
Down one from two weeks ago. Looks like that stubborn 179th lb is finally gone for good.

This weekend has started off well, ran a 5k in just under 31 minutes.. best time ever. So I had to celebrate with some fudge. :) Have a great S-weekend, y'all.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:01 pm

Woo hoo Nathan!!!!
You rock baby!!!
I am proud of you boy...
Love,
8) Deb

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:58 pm

Run on, Navin! Way to go!!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:07 pm

What's happening Kentucky Fried Nathan???
Any marathons today???
Are you sore from the last one?
Thanks for letting me know how much you weigh on Pluto.. now if we could just get over the very long distance cruise to get out there, and the freezing cold, we'd all be able to be very very light! LOL...
I think I'd only weigh about 18 lbs! LOL...
Love,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:05 pm

Deb, no marathons today, except the life-long marathon of the No-S regime. Which, this leftover Monday, was a success. (In spite of my being in Kentucky, I had no fried chicken.)

Also, while Pluto may lower your weight, be sure to avoid Jupiter. On Jupiter I'd be 451 lbs. But that's a lightweight compared to what I'd be on a neutron star - a whopping 12460000000 tons. I don't think my doctor would be too happy about that one. :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:59 pm

What about on a white dwarf? LOL...
(poor dwarf!)
Glad today was a success! I had to watch my little sickie Richie eating a slice of sick-day cake... It wasn't too easy dude!
But I didn't even have one bite!!!
I kept hearing a naughty voice in my head (no I'm not paranoid schizophrenic) saying "Can I eat a small slice of this and chalk it up to 'caregiver to a sick person' S approved?" But I told myself,,, "Self",,,
"No Cake for YOU!!!"
Next time you feel like talking astronomy, go and pop in on Richards Special Updates thread... At five years old he was memorizing the names of at least 20 different nebulae and could tell you the speed of light as well as the size of the solar system in both miles and kilometers....
He loves numbers! I can see you guys have something in common!
Have a great evening, even if you didn't have any Kentucky Fried Chicken...
I'm about to have Chinese now... Let's see if I can control my seconds...
I'm bending the rules tonight a little though because I want soup and ribs... Not putting em in one plate!
Love and Peace and Chicken Grease,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:37 am

Astronomy is cool. I was much more into it as a kid than I am now... but even still, I keep up with some stuff.. such as reading my bi-monthly "Planetary Report" and so forth. I bet he's all over the images from Cassini/Huygens around Saturn. :D

As for midweek:
Tuesday: success
Wednesday: success
Thursday: failure! Co-worker got me with a nice, tempting piece of baklavah. Very tasty, but since I've made that stuff before, I know there's a WHOLE lot of sugar!

On an odd note, though I've No-S-ed for more than 1-1/2 years, I don't think I've ever made it a full 21 days strictly on habit. Stuff like the baklavah incident just comes up from time to time.. but yet this has still been wildly successful for me. Althoug many people (including all y'all here) swear by the 21 day thing, it's never really meant anything for other habits/activities in my life... I have to actually like or at least tolerate something. I can't form a habit doing something I just detest, even if I can put up with it for 21 days or more. So No-S works for me becuase it actually feels good to eat like a normal person... not just that I've been doing it for a long time.

Guess I'm just weird. :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:44 am

Hey if you're so weird, how is it that you can eat "normal"! LOL....

I agree with you about the enjoyment factor being a driving force here...
I love Baklava! Did it have walnuts or pistachios?
That has a lot of honey!!!! A definite S!
Send me some NOW!!!!! LOL....

So here's to not detesting this plan!!!!

And you Nathonator!!!!! :lol:
Love,
8) Deb

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:51 am

Hey Navin! I watched "The Jerk" last night...Hilarious! I thought of you.... :lol:

*Navin "He hates these cans! Stay away from the cans!"
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:08 am

Yeah and then he tries to drive away in a car with no tires on the wheels!
LOL.....
What about the scene when he runs out of the bath and holds up the dogs to cover his butt..." LOL....

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:12 am

That was so funny, Deb! and when he has the magazine and the drink and he says "Be Somebody!"

aaahhh...good times... :D
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:04 am

Navin! Another pound down and a new record time for your 5K run! Congrats and well done!

Here is a really neat website that you may already know of:

www.spaceweather.com

You can sign up for notice of sunspot activity and it will send you an email when the Northern Lights are coming to your neighborhood, and all that kind of thing.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:56 pm

Hi Navin,,, here's more "on topic" stuff to hog your space!!! LOL...

The Jerk Rules!!!!!! Definitely one of my top 5 favorite movies ever!!!

Tricia! I just thought of another classic Navin line...
At the beginning when his family invites him to come out on the porch and sing some "Blues" with them...
He says that he doesn't feel like it because there's "Something about those songs... They depress me!"......
Then he starts getting down and funky to that Lawrence Welk type music on the radio!!!
Ditto Trish...
"Ahhh good times" indeed!

Okay here's my favorite one...
When the three Chicano guys are riding around in the big blue Chevy two door, and they decide to hold him up at the gas station....
This Mexican guy gives him a credit card to pay and he looks at it and says "Will there be anything else Mrs. Nusssbaum...." LOL...
Then they offer him a hit off their joint and he says "What kind of a cigarette is that?" and then the guy says as he is choking the smoke down..."Joint"
Then Steve says
"Joint?????" and with a smirk, continues "They don't make em very good!

Ha ha... The old degenerate in me likes that scene! LOL.....

Okay, Nathan you can go back to talking about food now.... :wink:
P&L,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:51 pm

No problem Deb, I hijack other people's threads (especiallyl yours) enough myself that if you hijack mine no big deal. :)

Oh yeah, Friday was success, and I now I'm at 177 (down from 178 last week.) This S-weekend has been inordinatley gluttonous for some unknown reason... but oh well.

As for this thread - I'll probably start posting updates maybe once a week, or if I really have something interesting to say, such as reporting the sighting of a shrimp bee or something. Instead, I'll just be a parasite on other threads for the most part. :wink:

navin

Post by navin » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:53 pm

Well, here is my random, occasional check-in. This has gotten pretty routine, though things come up, mostly round, sweet things such as donuts. Though today it was because of somebody's promotion at work, so that's a good thing.

And I'm holding steady somewhere between 176 and 179 lbs (depending on which scale I use - the gym one or my home one). Haven't had any significant gain or loss for a couple months now. That's not terrible, I'm still much better than where I was before. But I think I can attribute it to less exercise. Fortunatley hockey and "spinning" will be starting up here soon, so I think I'll get back on track shortly.

Plus, while I'm not a marathon runner like Blondie, I will be running in another 5K coming up in a couple weeks - and apparently a sizeable contingent of people at work will be there (including my boss's boss's boss... so I can lose weight and brown-nose at the same time!)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:25 pm

I hope they don't have donuts at the finish line!!!
Good luck with the run and the "nosing"...(and I don't mean NoS, I mean the brown stuff... LOL... ew...)
Did you finish reading the Carnegie book yet??? LOL...
Love,
8) Deb

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:45 pm

Awesome, Navin!! Nothing like a little athletic camaraderie to get in with the boss...:)

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:04 pm

Sounds like a great idea. Have you been training for the 5K or do you feel pretty much ready as you are?

navin

Post by navin » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:37 pm

Hey Click - glad you're back... sounds like you had a good trip.

Anyway, I've been training some... I never really train too hard-core, but this week I'll go running a few times so I won't be coming in totally cold. I don't want to overdo it either, though... there's no way I could run a 5K two days in a row.

I ran this particular one last year too (and I think it was one of the first 5K's I actually was able to run the whole way through) and it's quite fun... it's downtown at night, they have the streets blocked off. There will probably also be some patrons of the downtown bars outside to cheer us on. :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:40 pm

When's your run Nate? Today????
Go Navin Go!!!!
Love,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:34 pm

Deb -

Nope, it's this Saturday. I'm looking forward to it... boy, I never thought I'd see the day when I'd be looking *forward* to running 3 miles. :)

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:50 am

Hey, You're doing well! I *still* can't even imagine a day when I might look forward to running 3 yards, never mind 3 miles!!! :lol:

I was definately built for comfort, not for speed. Urban ranger is great. Swimming is great. Running...? Forget it!

Good luck with it Navin. Hope it goes well for you.
C.
CaroleJo

navin

Post by navin » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:14 pm

Well, this week turned out all right. Ending weight: 177 (same as the week before). This Saturday though is the 5K I've been talking about... my goals are to (a) finish without injury and (b) not lose my car keys. Wish me luck! :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:33 pm

Hey Navin!
Good luck and kick ass!!!!
I hope your corporate hobnobbing goes well and you come back with all the same parts you started with!!!
Remember to do a pre and post nice stretch, which should help reduce any possibilty of strains...
As for the keys,,,
Why not just duct tape them to the inside of your wheel well, out of view..

I remember jogging up a 2.5 mile trail in Washington years ago (when I was still capable of such bouncing!)
I stuck my car key into the teeny little pocket of my shorts and when I finished I thought I had lost it and would never be able to get back home!!! I wasn't about to trace my steps for 2.5 miles of wilderness path, so I freaked out...
Strangely, the key turned up, though I can't remember how! LOL.... Too long ago...
Now my car is so old and such a non-temptation, I mean it runs, but an 18 year old Corolla ain't exactly screaming to be stolen, that I basically leave it unlocked all the time... unless I have something important in it ....
Hey, you and Kevin are exactly the same weight now.. Just read his thread before....
That's cool!

Have a great S day!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:52 am

Good luck, N! I like to prevent injury by starting out slower to warm up and finishing stong...!

navin

Post by navin » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:07 pm

Blondie -
That's a great idea, but I find it easier said than done! I tend to get exited and start fast, then wear down along the way. Even the compromise between the two approaches - a consistent, steady pace - I think would be better.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:47 pm

It's an individual thing, I guess.

Sooooo, how'd it go? Didja lose yer keys?

navin

Post by navin » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:45 am

Blondie, Deb, and whoever else it may concern: :)

Well, the race is over... and in case anyone was wondering why I'm sitting here posting messages instead of doing something social on a Saturday night - right about now I am DOG TIRED! The race was great, lots of fun, but it was quite a sultry evening. I felt like I was going to die after about the second mile..

But here is a quick run-down of the status of my goals for this run.
Primary goals:
1. Do not lose my car keys: success
2. Run the whole way: success
3. Do not injure myself: success

Secondary goals:
1. Do not injure anybody else: success
2. Beat 30 minutes: not sure yet - probably not but I'll see when they post the results either on the web or in the paper tomorow.
3. Schmooze with the boss-man: success. There were a lot of other people I knew there too, some of whom I hadn't seen in a while so that was good.
4. Hit on some attractive lady going about my pace: well, maybe next time.. :)

I fully intend to be present at church tomorrow since there is NO WAY I could have finished this thing without divine intervention!!

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:35 am

Congrats, Navin! Sounds like you feel pleased and deservedly so. Well done!!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:31 am

Yay Nathan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad you achieved most of your goals!!!
Hee hee....

Remember to take in extra water and calcium and potassium to stave off post exercise muscle cramping...

Have a nice time in Church! Put in a good word for me!

Congrats again!!!
You are the best!!!!!!!
Love,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:58 pm

Well, this week has turned out pretty good, I'm down another lb., to 176... I'm sure that exhausting race had something to do with it. :)

I've also been playing around a little with my breakfast routine... 90% of the time I have boring ol' cereal. Last Wednesday I had a smoothie.. as well as a glass of water (that way I feel a little fuller) so I think I'm going to deem Wednesday (and maybe Saturday too) as Smoothie Day.

Have a great S weekend, y'all.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:38 pm

Congratulations Nathan!!!!!!!!!!!
Inch by inch, pound by pound... The only way here is
DOWN!!!!
LOL... :lol:

Oh I had a smoothie this morning! Yay Smoothie day!!!
Mine was OJ plus half a frozen banana and one big frozen strawberry...
Cereal can get pretty monotonous sometimes, but cooking a meal can be a burden when you are in a rush.. I like the smoothie alternative!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Lethaltoenails

Post by Lethaltoenails » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:58 am

Navin - just read your posts from your 5 K - good going! I like smoothies too, I use some vanilla flavored protein powder (from the health food store) in mine which gives it some lasting power through the morning. I have to be honest though, my favorite b'fast is a PBJ on "lite" whole wheat bread - I have a 45 min. ride to work and I can take it on the road and enjoy it nibble by nibble down the big hill to the valley (I live in the mountains).

Have a good S weekend-

Karyn

navin

Post by navin » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:57 pm

Hmm, PB&J for breakfast is something I've thought about but never actually done. Does sound good, now that you mention it. I have had peanut butter on pancakes before... that's kind of similar I suppose.

Though really, one thing I learned from my college days and that will probably stick with me the rest of my life, is that the best breakfast ever is leftover pizza. 8)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:12 pm

When I have pizza there are no leftovers!

See you later Wally!
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:05 pm

Okay, might as well do one of these update thingies...

No-S: This week was relatively good, not a lot of funny stuff. At my "official" weigh-in Friday, I was still at 176. Very happy with that, considering it represents 24 lbs of saturated fat removed, and still at the lowest I've ever been in my adult life.

Exercise: well, this is the real reason I'm happy I stayed the same and didn't gain. Didn't seem like I did much... did get some walking in, no biking. Though I will make up for that today, as I attempt to bike to my parents' house to take care of their dogs while they are gone. The trip from my hood to the 'burbs is about 8 miles, eager to try out some new bike lanes on one of the roads.

Hope you all are having a good Labor Day weekend. Looks like they finally got some food, supplies and transportation down in New Orleans, so it's already good in that regard.

navin

Post by navin » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:18 pm

All right: weight on my official weigh-in day is 176, no change from last week. I considered this week a "defensive" week, as there were 3 S-days since last Friday (including some of Mom's homemade cookies...)

I think I'm going to start mixing up my breakfast routine a little. I made some banana nut muffins today and had two of those and some blackberries. That turned out to be a tasty and filling breakfast, and noticed no negative impact becuase of it on the scale. It's probably cheaper than cereal anyway, though more work..

I need to start preparing for the "Race for the Cure" 5K that's coming up next Saturday. I've done a lot of biking recently but not much running... and yes, the same boss-guy will be there. Always gotta look good in front of the boss!

See you all when this server gets upgraded and goes back up. :)
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

navin

Post by navin » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:10 am

Well, guess it's that time again. This week was reasonable. Exercise was moderate... biked to work a few times, and took one day off work to do some much needed clearing out of some brush and junk in my yard. That was tiresome.... much awaiting the weekend,when I can eat the cake that's sitting in my fridge.

Weight for this week is estimated at 175. (Used my home scale, not the "official" weigh-in device becuase I didn't make it to the gym after work today.) Next week ought to be a good week, doing the "Race for the Cure" 5K Saturday. Again, same goals as last time: to finish without injury, and to not lose my care keys. :)
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.