People for whom even No-S may be too late...

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
ThomsonsPier

People for whom even No-S may be too late...

Post by ThomsonsPier » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:44 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5219884.stm

The article above is vaguely worrying. I have a friend who works in a hospital and tells me that there's an increase in the number of people who won't fit in CAT scanners. The solution they use is to take them to the zoo veterinary hospital and use the scanner designed for rhinoceri.

I imagine that would be rather embarrassing.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:40 pm

Thomsonspier,

Thanks for posting this -- though I sort of wish I didn't see it. I don't mean to disrespect anyone on this board who may be x-ray proof fat, but man, to do that to yourself, it's beyond gluttony, it must come from some deeply self destructive, self loathing impulse. It must be hard work.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:56 pm

Apologies about the tone of my last post. Gluttony is a powerful thing, and probably doesn't do much to help self esteem. Too fat? Feel worthless. Feel worthless? Might as well eat more. Might as well punish worthless self. Even fatter? etc. If I hadn't come up with nos/shovelglove/urbanranger, I might very well have wound up Reinhard the Rhinoceros.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Thank God you did Reinhard!

We love you!!!!
Peace,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

JWL

Post by JWL » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:20 am

Hi Reinhard.... you are right, in a sense.

Though I would say that more immediately, it comes from a sense of numbness rather than some deeply self destructive, self loathing impulse.

I mean, clearly anyone who stops and thinks about how such a habit of gluttony is self-destructive can pretty easily see it. But that's the point. You just don't think about it.

Psychologically speaking, I think it's more denial than anything.

It's proof, to me, that improving one's health won't happen until the person is ready to "admit they have a problem" and do the work....

And yes, I'm speaking from experience on this.... there is a 350lb weight limit on the MRI machine at my local hospital, so I wasn't able to get a test my doctor wanted a few years back.

Luckily, now it's not an issue.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:04 pm

James,

Thanks for posting here. Because you're proof that no-s isn't too late.

Good point about the numbness. It sounds like it's largely precisely the feeling that it is "too late" to do something about a problem, so what the hell. Thanks and congratulations for showing that even in these cases it isn't. It might be hard, but hard is so much better than impossible.

Reinhard

JWL

Post by JWL » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:15 am

To someone so fat they cannot fit into such a machine, as I used to be, the thing to remember is that such a condition does not happen overnight. It comes from many years of neglect, which can come from the aforementioned numbness, depression, ignorance, injury, illness, etc etc.

But it is tangible proof that our habits shape our bodies.

Which is why you rightly put so much emphasis on habit with ES stuff....
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

ThomsonsPier

Oops...

Post by ThomsonsPier » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:28 am

Perhaps that was a poorly chosen subject heading. It was intended to be light hearted.

Allow me to state that I maintain, save in my darkest hours (haven't had many of those lately), that it's never too late to do anything. Except, perhaps, cooking pasta al dente after boiling it for an hour. That pasta is probably overdone. It's too late to cook it properly. Though you could dry it out and cook it again if it's not egg-based, meaning that maybe it's not too late after all. Am I rambling?

Granted, it's harder, and will take longer, to reverse any changes in state the longer you wait. It doesn't mean you shouldn't try. <twee>As soon as you take responsibility for your own actions, you can do anything you want, providing you want it enough.</twee>
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

foxylady

Post by foxylady » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:20 pm

I have just finished reading this post with the attendant replies. I find that it has really pulled on my heart strings. When feelings this deep and personal are shared with me or others, I cannot help but feel that we are on hallowed ground. Thank you all for risking on this level ---- in hopes that something you have experienced might help others. I have been lifted by it.

Reinhard ... I agree with Deb. You are a blessing !

So Glad To Be Here,
Foxylady (Kathleen )
Within your weakness, there lies your strength...... sleeping. ( Sylvia Brown's grandmother )

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:26 pm

May I add my thanks as well. None of us would be here if we hadn't or didn't experience body image pain on a deep, almost cellular level. Not all of the pain is other-inflicted. Sometimes we do the most damage to ourselves. I'm finding that this is a good place to heal.

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

Informatix

Post by Informatix » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:18 am

Obesity is truly an epidemic in today's world. Most cardiac catheterization lab tables, similar to MRI and CT, have a weight limit of around 350 pounds. It's true that image studies of larger people are simply not as clear as those taken of thinner people. It's also true that it's harder to defibrillate or "shock" a larger person out of a fatal dysrhythmia because the electricity tends to skim over the subcutaneous tissue (AKA fat) instead of traveling through the heart where it needs to be. It seems ironic to me that the people who perhaps need these things the most, receive the least benefit from them.

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:14 pm

Informatix wrote:Obesity is truly an epidemic in today's world. Most cardiac catheterization lab tables, similar to MRI and CT, have a weight limit of around 350 pounds. It's true that image studies of larger people are simply not as clear as those taken of thinner people. It's also true that it's harder to defibrillate or "shock" a larger person out of a fatal dysrhythmia because the electricity tends to skim over the subcutaneous tissue (AKA fat) instead of traveling through the heart where it needs to be. It seems ironic to me that the people who perhaps need these things the most, receive the least benefit from them.
Jeepers cats you've just scared the daylights out of me, especially since I have a newspaper article posted on my refrigerator about large bellies being the possible harbinger of Alzheimers (because people who are "apple" shaped usually have a lot of deep fat surrounding their vital organs). I've had MRIs and CTs and it was uncomfortable enough at my weight, so I can only imagine how painful (on so many levels) it would be for someone 350 pounds or over. I believe I either read somewhere, or saw on TV that these machines were now being built to accommodate larger individuals and that's a good thing. However, the hospitals and facilities that now have MRI and CT equipment might find it cost-prohibitive to add/replace existing equipment. I absolutely agree with your comment!

SO it all comes down, once again, to the best thing for everyone is to maintain healthy eating habits and healthy weight-ranges.

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:59 am

Hi, I am new to the NoS diet. I am happy to hear that it is not too late for me. I have tried so many diets and now I am much larger than I ever was. I was not too heavy growing up but started gaining in my 30s. My mindset was dieting, falling off and saying "Oh well, I'll eat today and start again tomorrow". I now have diabetes and am very uncomfortable even getting my socks on. I am only 5' tall and weigh 269 lbs. Reading about this diet tells me that I have to think of the long term not a fast weight loss fix. Growing up I never had snacks like we have today. Now I eat all evening long, a little bit here and a little bit there. I have to change my habits, so here I am. I hope I can keep it up. I just have to.
Thanks for the posts I was able to read.
Wanting to live again.

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:02 pm

Sparrow -- Welcome aboard, and you're absolutely right: it's not too late! No-S is a a truly wonderful way to change not only your weight, but your life as well. I would encourage you to try out the HabitCal on this site (update it daily!). Also, although everything you need to no about No-S can be found here, Reinhard's book is a great read and very motivating to have around. (I leave my copy out on my kitchen table and just looking at the cover gives me incentive to keep on track). You say you "hope I can keep it up" -- yes, you can! No snacks, no sweets, no secords -- you can do that! Be sure to check these boards for encouragement. Best wishes to you!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:28 pm

Dear Sparrow,

Welcome! You've got the right long term mind set -- that's hugely important.

Patience is hard, though. Even if you intellectually understand the need for it.

The great consolation with No-s is that although it may take a long time to lose all your excess weight, it's a very pleasant journey. Almost immediately most people find they start to enjoy food much more. The ancient Greeks had this idea that "virtue is its own reward," and in the case of moderation in eating at least, this really is true. You don't have to wait for the "payoff" on the scale (although that will come, too) to start reaping benefits.

Reinhard