Reporting In After 1st "S" Days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ruthosborn

Reporting In After 1st "S" Days

Post by ruthosborn » Mon May 16, 2005 6:03 pm

Hi there. I'm reporting in after my first S-day weekend. It was satisfying, but I actually ate more than normal. A cupcake, chocolate, movie popcorn, and some ice cream cake, but not over the top in portion sizes. I figure that I'll concentrate on establishing the habit of S, No S and then work fine tune it. There was no binging or even that feeling that I better shove in the sugar while I can. It was actually guilt free because I feel I earned it with five days of vigilant eating.

I agree about food journaling. I've come from Weight Watchers, which I think does a good job for what it is, but the idea of journaling food for the rest of my life was too much to bear. This way feels like freedom and is much easier.

Take care, all

Ruth O

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Mon May 16, 2005 11:52 pm

Yes, I too had my first "S" weekend. It was interesting. Due to family birthdays and business events I had to eat lunch and dinner this past Friday at restaurants. Because it was a no S day I had no dessert. I found this rather empowering: to know that I could actually skip dessert and have the option for it the following day.

Saturday I just had some extra snacks in the form of muffins.

The cool thing was on Sunday I went to a beautiful catered event and was able to eat all kinds of things including dessert and not feel like I was being "bad".

As far as the journaling goes I decided to write down what I eat for the first few weeks just so that I could be accountable. I am a lifetime member of Weight Wathers (which simply means that I met my goal weight once). 17 pounds would put me back at "goal weight". Twenty would get me back into a 2 piece bathing suit.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 17, 2005 1:49 pm

That sounds pretty good, Ruth. If the first few weekends aren't wild binges, you're doing well. A little more than normal is fine. Your weekday behaviors haven't had time yet to habituate you to less, and frankly, even if you continued at a little "more than normal" on the weekends you'd be fine if you were strict during the week.

CVMom, congratulations on your empowering "no dessert." It's funny what a good feeling that can be. It's surprising to discover that yes, you do have willpower, and no, you don't feel resentful because you know this is pleasure you can enjoy later.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue May 17, 2005 3:50 pm

One of the things I really love about this program is that nothing is forbidden. Postponed, maybe, but not forbidden.

On Saturday, I had a little maple syrup on my French Toast, and a morning snack of a bagle with some wonderful strawberry preserves that a friend made. At dinner, I had a second tortilla.

On Sunday, I didn't eat anything special all day, because I didn't feel the desire or need. But then in the evening, there was our daughter's piano recital. She played "Broken Vow", a Josh Groban song. For the first time, she played from her heart and soul, with real passion...she was playing the music, not just the notes on the page. My husband and I were both in tears (you know, proud-parent tears). This is what we have been waiting to hear :D . So, of course, at the reception, I felt like celebrating, and so I had one piece of this incredible chocolate peanut-butter thing. Boy, was it good. On Monday, I was happy to settle back into my no-s days. This program just works out perfectly. Wish I had known about it years ago!

jools

S let down

Post by jools » Wed May 18, 2005 7:00 pm

Welcome to the newcomers!

All this talk of sweets made me remember what happened when my DH and i went out to eat at a very nice restuarant called Tommy Bahamas on Saturday night. we were both really looking forward to a nice evening, good food etc.. and since this was an S day i was going to have a sweet for sure. i chose Key lime pie, my all time fave and boy was i disappointed with the taste. :(
i only had 3 bites and stopped. As I have said before the longer you are on this plan the pickier you get. It just didnt meet up to my standards of a delisciously sinful sweet and i certainly wasnt going to waste calories and fat on a dessert that didnt taste that good. So instead i drank my latte and watched him eat the dessert( which he liked go figure)

I have worked too hard to lose what i have so far(12# and holding)to eat notthing but the tastiest food.It was actually easy to push it aside. I would NEVER NEVER have done that before NOS.

I actually read an article about how thin people eat, it was very eyeopening- first they dont eat more than the size of their fist at any meal, second they only eat the tastiest, juiciest morsels of each food on their plate.If it doesnt taste good they dont eat it at all ! If served alot of food at a restaurant, they immediately cut everything in half and put in a take out box to rid themselves of the temptation of over eating. I thought all of these were great ideas. We all know the very thin people and wonder how they do it without purging or exercising. .. well this is how
"they" do it. :)

Jools

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed May 18, 2005 9:07 pm

Hey Jools,

Your story about the key lime pie was very inspiring! May we all become picky eaters!

jools

Be picky this weekend

Post by jools » Fri May 20, 2005 3:00 pm

HI Jan,

Glad to inspire anyone i can, and i am actually down 1 more pound.
Yeah me ! :D I have along way to go, but it is steadily coming off.

So here we are looking at another SSS'n weekend and i want to encourage everyone to be picky about what they indulge in.
MAKE IT EXTRA SPECIAL. Raise your standards

do this for your self because if you are doing NOS you deserve something special, with no side helping of guilt because we dont need it on this EP.

Have a great weekend everyone

Jools

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat May 21, 2005 12:28 am

Hey Jools:

Good advice. I bought some scones at Trader Joe's earlier this week and I've been planned on having one tommorrow or Sunday. (If my husband and son don't eat them all first).

I am in my 2nd week of No S and while I feel about 100% better (since I'm not overeating and berating myself) I am considering adding another meal to my daily three. I just feel like I am eating too much during lunch and dinner and "stuffing" because I know that I won't have another eating episode for hours.

Has anyone out there encountered this?

Thanks, and have a splendid S day tommorrow.

CVMum

jools

It doesnt hurt us to get hungry before the next meal. REALLY

Post by jools » Sat May 21, 2005 11:22 pm

HI CV

Even though there is no rule against it having 3 + meals, maybe you could just leave some on your plate. Eat til you are full then stop, if you arent sure you are full, get up from the table, press at the top of your stomache lightly, if it feels uncomfortable i stop.
For some people they dont know what it feels like to feel hungry because they are always feeding the machine, which is why 3 meals work for most of us.

I stopped eating too much at meals after about 2 weeks of NOS, i hated the way it made me feel. and i knew if i got hungry between meals i had plenty of fat stores for my body to take from LOL. I grab a water or tea and usually the feeling subsides within 10-15 minutes.
So hope this helps someone, remember the 3 weeks it takes to change a habit. or so "they" say..
Enjoying my SSS

Jools

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon May 23, 2005 4:17 pm

Jan-Tz wrote: (snipped...) Wish I had known about it years ago!
But we did, didn't we? My mother always insisted on three meals, no snacking...
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."