Wedge versus two-sided sledge head

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
ezuk

Wedge versus two-sided sledge head

Post by ezuk » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:56 pm

Hello,

Around these parts (Israel) sledgehammers are more often wedge-shaped (you know, with a pointy bit on one side) rather than two-sided "mallet" style.

I've noticed all the hammers shown in the Shug Amazon store are "mallet" style.

Do you think if I would go with a wedge-style hammer it might create balance problems?

Is anybody using such a sledgehammer? Better yet, did anyone compare the two types?

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:07 pm

The balance problems might actually give you a better workout. I've noticed a pretty big part of my workout is the stopping before I actually hit something, like the dog. My only concern would be accidental damage to property, but when you are swinging 8, 10, 16 pounds on the end of stick that is going to be a concern no matter what the shape.

Personally I'd go for it.
Heather

ezuk

Post by ezuk » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:05 am

Hey, thanks! :) This morning I went and bought the sledgehammer before I saw this reply.

At the store, at first they told me they don't have any at all, period. (After on the phone they told me they do.)

Then then guy pulls out this used 5kg sledgehammer (wegde-shaped, of course), and offers me a good price on it. I took it.

And then I came home and saw your reply. Great! :)

I'll let you guys know how it goes as soon as I get started.

Spook

Post by Spook » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:51 am

lmt2pt wrote:I've noticed a pretty big part of my workout is the stopping before I actually hit something, like the dog.
:shock: :D

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:05 pm

I think it should be just fine.

But let us know your empirical results.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:21 pm

Wow, I would put some foam and tape it all around the wedge end just to make it safer..
Good luck!
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness