Reinhard's Sample Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:57 pm

Dec 14-15: I traded days for no S (took an S day Friday and and N day Saturday). Social pressure, again. Generally speaking, I think trading is a bad idea, but this is the first time I've done this since I started the habitcal, so I'm not going to get too excited about it. Still, it is officially "funny stuff," so I report it here.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:26 pm

Dec 24,25: NWS days for nosdiet and shovelglove. Christmas eve and day.
Dec 26: NWS sick day for shovelglove.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:26 pm

Dec 31, Jan 1: NWS days for shovelglove and No-S (new years)
Jan 6: weekend luddite failure. Got an OLPC XO for my daughter and she insisted I provide tech support.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:51 pm

jan 21: NWS day (Martin Luther King day) for shovelglove.
jan 26: weekend luddite failure. I'd missed one and a half days of work that I had to make up for because my wife's back went out earlier in the week and then of Friday our three year old daughter fell and had to get nine stitches. Everything is fine now -- my daughter was far more concerned about a prematurely promised purple popsicle than her cut -- but I had to break weekend luddite to catch up with work.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:53 am

Awww!! Poor thing!
I hope she got her popsicle :D
That must have been a bit upsetting for you and your wife.
Hope she's all better now, and hope your wife's back is better too!
Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:46 pm

Thank you, Deb. They're both doing fine.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:21 pm

Feb 24th: glass ceiling failure (1 drink over limit). Met a friend at a bar for lunch, had two drinks. Then didn't resist another at dinner time. Lame, but not a disaster.

I've been getting a lot better at "tasks." Might start reporting "tasks" failures here soon too to see if that little extra pressure will nudge the compliance up a notch...

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:17 pm

March 25: Rough day! Shovelglove failure. The same glass ceiling happened as last time (lunch bar two drinks, then didn't refuse glass of wine at dinner). And tasks failure.

Resolved: I will never let this particular pattern of glass ceiling violation happen again. It's not that in was a disaster in itself, but it's so incredibly lame and unnecessary, and a slippery slope for really dangerous abuses.

I missed shovelglove and tasks because I was so busy between my day job and book publicity (calorielab interview, details pending) that I had to pull an all nighter. Won't beat myself up too much about these. The sleep deprivation was sufficient punishment in itself. :-)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:19 pm

Oh, I forgot to register some NWS days:

March 20: Purim -- NWS day nosdiet
March 21: Good Friday -- NWS day nosdiet, shovelglove

Very moderate NWS days, nosdiet-wise.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:57 pm

Oooh, Good Friday AND Purim...sneaky! :wink:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:05 am

This is what happens when a good Lutheran boy marries a Rabbi's daughter :-)

It's a challenge keeping NWS days down to a reasonable level. I guess on the plus side, if I can lose weight with 2 sets of religious holidays, the majority with a mere single set should have no problem.

Reinhard

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:14 pm

NWS?

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:38 pm

Non-Weekend S days. Also known as the Special S days.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:38 pm

<<oops>>
Last edited by Blondie on Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:21 am

Ah!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:30 am

March 28, 31, April 1, 2: shovelglove sick (NWS) days. Finally got the nasty cold that had laid low the rest of my family most of March.

March 30, April 1: Tasks failures. Cold induced. I was toying with the idea of calling these days exempt because I was sick, but frankly, I could have just been better about setting low expectations and succeeding rather than completely neglecting to set expectations (as I did one day) or setting them way too high (as I did the other). I pulled this off OK the other days I was sick. A lesson for next time.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:58 pm

April 5,6: 2 weekend luddite failures. Had to finally update the nosdiet.com home page a bit because it's getting so many new eyeballs thanks to Woman's World.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:11 pm

April 18th: glass ceiling failure. Just 1 drink over, but this has been happening more often than it should these last few months. I think because I've been considerably more sociable. Still, that's no excuse. Have to be vigilant. What happened this time was I had a couple drinks with coworkers after work, then my wife poured me a glass of wine for dinner before I realized what was going on. I'm haven't quite reached the point where I can pour a glass of booze into the sink... so, red.

Terez

Post by Terez » Sat May 03, 2008 6:31 pm

I haven't quite reached the point where I can pour a glass of booze into the sink
Not saying I would pour it down the sink either. But for those who would like to get a green in such a situation and feel better about pouring out the wine in order to achieve the green, I just want to share a way of thinking I heard applied to food, when someone felt wasteful for throwing food away instead of eating it.

Adjusted for booze, it would be something along the lines of: "Does it really make any difference if it's poured straight down the drain or if it goes through my digestive system first before going down the drain?"

Terez

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu May 08, 2008 12:37 am

"Does it really make any difference if it's poured straight down the drain or if it goes through my digestive system first before going down the drain?"

ooooooooooh Terez I like that ...
Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon May 12, 2008 3:36 pm

Terez -- yeah, you're right. I've said similar things myself about food (guru, help thyself!), but I'm skeptical it will take here -- in addition to the "waste", it just *looks* so alcoholic to pour booze down the sink. Maybe I need to invest in a funnel for the un-pouring of such glasses back into the bottle. Wonder what that would look like? :-)

May 9: Shovelglove failure (ergo tasks failure). Fell asleep. Won't beat myself up too much. I'm way sleep deprived and have been pretty darn good of shugging in spite of this.

May 10: tasks failure (forgot to give my daughter her eyedrops -- a much hated procedure on all sides -- till after she fell asleep)
Last edited by reinhard on Mon May 12, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Mon May 12, 2008 4:01 pm

reinhard wrote: May 10: tasks failure (forgot to give my daughter her eyedrops -- a much hated procedure on all sides -- till after she fell asleep)
Hope she's ok. :D

I can't imagine sticking to any kind of habit or ritual when a sick family member is involved.

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon May 12, 2008 7:55 pm

May 10: tasks failure (forgot to give my daughter her eyedrops -- a much hated procedure on all sides -- till after she fell asleep)
And then once she was asleep, you pried her eyes open and plopped them in???
What Navin said.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu May 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Me bad English major -- that was a poorly worded sentence.

I wish the eyedrops while sleeping trick would work. But I'm loathe to try it because of the risk of waking the little monster. An even more horrible prospect than a splotch of red on the habitcal :-)

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed May 21, 2008 3:06 pm

Sunday May 18: weekend luddite failure. Wife and kids were visiting the in-laws so I had a rare opportunity to catch up on day job work. A productive weekend luddite violation at least.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:34 pm

Monday May 26th: nosdiet and shovelglove NWS day (Memorial day)

Tuesday May 27th: shovelglove NWS sick day (hurt my neck doing stupid daddy tricks for my 3 year old daughter). Don't want to count skipping shovelglove as a failure because shugging while injured is not a virtue.

Thursday May 29th: tasks failure. Nothing unusual in terms of work load or poor planning. Just finally a little too tired to quite keep up.

Friday May 30: vacation NWS day for shovelglove and nosdiet. Glass ceiling failure (1 drink over limit -- not too shabby considering the temptation of meeting up an old drinking buddy after many months).

Sat May 31: another (shabbier) weekend luddite failure (2 drinks over limit). One post midnight drink with aforementioned buddy. Then another with my dad at family brunch (would have been hard to get out of this one). Then two more later that day with my wife's cousins.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:33 pm

Tuesday June 3: Tasks failure. Our youngest had to got to the hospital to get a cut glued. Good excuse, I guess. But I prefer to just take it on the chin and call it "red."

Friday June 6: Tasks failure. More good excuses -- our youngest turned one, our oldest was sick -- but still, red. Nosdiet NWS day (youngest daughter's birthday).

Saturday June 7: Glass ceiling failure. Two drinks over the limit. Wedding. I always go a bit over the limit at weddings, but I've often done some funny accounting to still call it green, "time zone shifting." From now on, I'm going to discard this practice and just take a red when it happens. I'm strong enough in habit not to be derailed by an occasional red, and a transparent "a calendar day = a calendar day" rule is simpler and less liable to abuse.
Last edited by reinhard on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:25 pm

Tuesday June 10: nosdiet NWS day. Our youngest daughter's first birthday "observed" (we had to cancel the party on her actual birthday last Friday because our oldest was sick).

Wednesday June 11, Thursday June 12: shovelglove NWS days. Sick. Got whatever our daughter had last week. Too sick to even pretend for 14 minutes.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:18 pm

June 19: nosdiet NWS day (my wife's AND my mother's birthday).

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:13 pm

Hope your two ladies had very HAPPY BIRTHYDAYS!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:41 pm

Thank you! They did. Can be a tough balancing act (and then there's fathers day right after).

Sat June 28: Weekend Luddite failure. (unsuccessfully) tried to help my wife get the scanner working. It wasn't much, and I was good about limiting it to that. But still, I want to call it red to keep my guard up. Habitcal machismo. :-)

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:16 pm

July 3,4: Vacation/Independence Day NWS days for nosdiet and shovelglove. Visited friends in Vermont. They own a bakery. Not really possible to resist taking that extra no-s NWS day.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:28 pm

July 19: Tasks failure. Those darn eyedrops again.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:00 pm

July 23: nosdiet and shovelglove NWS day (anniversary)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:39 pm

Monday July 28: Vacation NWS day for nosdiet and shovelglove

Wednesday July 30: Tasks failure. Just overwhelmed.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:32 pm

Monday August 4: sick NWS day for shovelglove and tasks -- hit me suddenly in the afternoon and I'm not going to blame myself for having ordinary ambitions for the day and then being unable to comply with them.

Tuesday August 5: my older daughter's birthday (and still sick!) NWS day for shovelglove and No-s. I've never had allergies in my life before but my doctor tells me I've got them now thanks to this unprecedented "tropical" whether and they're slaughtering me.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:24 am

I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well Rein!
I hope you feel better soon~
For allergies, I discovered the absolute best over the counter med around a few years ago, when I thought I had pneumonia, and it turned out to be bad nasal allergies..
Get your hands on some Alavert.
It's a little pricey, at around 11 dollars for a one week supply, but they are 24 hour tabs, and they have virtually zero unpleasant side effects like dry mucus membranes, or drowsiness..
I recommend it to anyone who has bad symptoms and want them gone.
Don't even think of getting sudafed.
This stuff works 100 times better.
And, of course a little chicken soup and rest :)

Love
8) Deb

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:25 am

ps. Belated Happy Birthday to your "Big" girl! :wink:
Hope she had a great day!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:12 pm

Thank you, Deb! She did have a great day -- I'll check out Alavert. So far I've been through claretin and nasenex. They worked great for a week and then they suddenly didn't. Now I'm on aferin and it's working well too, but I think I can only take it for a few days or dreadful side effects kick in.

Wednesday August 6: another shovelglove NWS sick day. I know it seems like a lot but I've been shugging through these allergies for almost two months now and I'm worn to the bone.

Was back in action last night again, thanks to aferin.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:06 pm

Aug 18-22: Vacation. NWS days M, W, F for No-s. Everyday but wednesday for "shovelglove." Didn't have a sledge, so I just did a ton of squats and pushups). I did so many squats that even now, almost a week later, I'm still limping. Funny how with pushups you just reach a point where you can't do even one more, but with squats you could always kind of do another one -- except you'll regret it the day/week after.

Mon Aug 25: Tasks failure. Just a little too much work to catch up on after vacation.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:37 am

Aug 26: old of my oldest friends was in town from paris and I took him out to a belated birthday dinner. Called it an NWS day (nos and shovelglove) to properly entertain him.

Aug 28: vacation: took a shovelglove NWS day.

Aug 29: vacation: took a nosdiet NWS day.

Aug 31: weekend luddite failure. Thought I'd lost my credit card and bank card (found them later) and had to check online if anyone had been using them. Limited it to that, but calling it a failure just to keep me on my toes.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:26 pm

Thursday Sept 19: did some fast and loose virtual plating at a Korean restaurant. I'm not going to count it a failure because there weren't really any good alternatives and I didn't gorge myself nearly as much as I might have. Knowing that I have to fess up here is sufficient disincentive to keep this from happening too much.

JillyBean

Happy Birthday!

Post by JillyBean » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:58 am

If I remember right, today is your birthday. Have a great day!

And while I have your attention - Thanks again for all you've done here. I know I am not alone in feeling a huge debt of gratitude.
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:43 pm

Yes, it was. Thank you!

Sunday Sept 28: Blimits failure (I'm going to start tracking this now that the habitcal table view makes it easier to track larger numbers of habits). I'm going to lump together both blimits and anti-bookmarks here, since they're very similar.

Monday Sept 29, Wed Oct 1: nosdiet "special" days. (rosh hashanah)

Thu Oct 2: nos and shovelglove special day (my birthday).

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:09 pm

Wed Oct Oct 8-9: nosdiet and shovelglove NWS days (kol nidre and yom kippur). Unexceptionable exemptions, but I'm not going to like my summary compliance score this month on habitcal!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:31 pm

Hi Rein, I just wanted to pop in and wish you a very lovely weekend. Hope all is well with you and the family.
Is your little daughter still doing pullups?? Haha :wink:
Love
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:33 pm

Thank you, Deb. Yes, we're all still doing pullups :-)

Sat Oct 18th: weekend luddite failure. Worked on a table of contents for an everyday systems book proposal. Didn't know when else to do it (still don't).

Reinhard

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:05 am

reinhard wrote:Sat Oct 18th: weekend luddite failure. Worked on a table of contents for an everyday systems book proposal. Didn't know when else to do it (still don't).Reinhard
I read your post this morning, but the implications didn't sink in until tonight. Are you actually contemplating an Everyday Systems book?

I do hope so, and let me know if you need any encouragement to continue.

Between No-S, Shovelglove, and Personal Punch Cards, I've really revolutionized my life. It would be beyond great to see the whole Everyday Systems philosophy organized into one book.

I have the luxury of the time to browse your website; many of my friends do not, but they do seem to have the time to read a book, and this is certainly something I want to share with them.

I understand that family, work, personal goals, cats, etc. take priority, but you are onto something so good here ... if you can find the time, a book would be marvelous (and hopefully lucrative ... I would send you the balance in my 401k account had it not gone negative recently!)

No response necessary ... just wanted you to know that I applaud your effort ...

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:30 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Winnie! Yes, I am trying to put something together. The publisher is interested, but it's far from a done deal. Much harder to find the time with two children! (we just had one when I was writing no-s).

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:41 pm

Oct 31: special day for No-s and shovelglove (Halloween).

FAILURE for glass ceiling (2 drinks over the limit). I was in a social situation with > 4 people which always tends to make me a little nervous -- nervous enough to forget that I'd resolved against "time zone shifting." Nothing disastrous, but an unambiguous red. I'm going to put a big "no time zone shifting" admonition on my Big Picture as an extra reminder.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:25 pm

Nov 11: Took Veterans day NWS day for shovelglove.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:37 pm

Nov 18: Blimits failure. 1 gmail check over the limit. Really dumb. Forgot what day of the week it was and all of a sudden thought I had to check an appointment. Not very time consuming, and I logged off immediately when I realized my mistake, but counting it red to keep me on my toes.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:54 pm

Fri Nov 21: fell and hurt my hand while doing my weekly casual jog and so took a shovelglove sick day.

Sun Nov 23: Glass ceiling failure. Had two small (but still two) glasses of whiskey at book club. Then a glass of wine at dinner. I rationalized at the time that the two splashes of whiskey were so small that they should count as just one glass, and although that might have been true in terms of alcohol consumption, that's not the way glass ceiling works. 2 glasses, period. So failure.

Mon Nov 24. No-s diet S-day for a good friends very fancy 40th birthday dinner. I don't think I've ever been to a fancier dinner (he's a recent grad from culinary school and half the people there were chefs). It was a 6 course meal with a small matching quarter glass of wine for each course -- so glass ceiling failure again, though I don't begrudge myself it this time, it would have been a gastronomical crime not to indulge. But I'll call it "failure" rather than "exempt" because I want to keep the psychological cost of going through the ceiling very high -- even if I (very) occasionally decide it's worth it.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi Reinhard!
I'm sorry about you hurting your hand.. I hope it heals soon. Massage and do gentle stretches so it doesn't go into spasm.
Also circular ice massage is great to help the healing process.
Glad you enjoyed your friends party! Good thinking tho, to keep your glass ceiling guidelines super strict.
Have a great week!
8) Debs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:30 pm

Thanks, Deb. The hand is fine now -- just skinned it a bit.

Thurs Nov 27: No-s and shovelglove special day (Thanksgiving).

Fri Nov 28: Another glass ceiling to confess, alas. My father in law tried to convince me that the glasses he was serving at dinner were so small that they should only count as half glasses -- I wasn't about to argue with a Rabbi, so I had two, despite the fact that I'd promised my wife that we'd go out for a drink after the kids fell asleep at this super fancy place in providence (we were staying with my in-laws). As we were about to leave the super fancy place, they offered us a free "limoncello." I'd just been grumbling about our super fancy bill, was intrigued by the name, and decided to indulge. And it was, I must admit, utterly delicious. But no less red. So depending on whether or not you follow the interpretation of my Rabbi father in law, 1 or 2 drinks over my limit. Also took a shovelglove NWS day.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:12 pm

Forgot to report a "tasks" failure on Wed Nov 26. Nothing very profound. Just fell asleep one short of knocking off my minimum quota of 7 "routine" tasks.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:23 pm

Fri Dec 5: Tasks failure. Those darn eyedrops again.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Wed Dec 10: tasks failure. Was working from home in the afternoon and the kids didn't nap -- so my seven task work column quota wound up one short.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:01 pm

Thursday Dec 18: NWS day for nosdiet and shovelglove -- office christmas party. We hadn't bee able to make it in a couple years and figured it was S-worthy. But irony of ironies -- they ran out of dessert before we could have any.

Also, tasks failure. Was a little too discombobulated by the party to remember to knock off a full seven routine tasks. Just one short, though.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:41 am

Hi Reinhard. Richie was talking to me about wanting to do a bit of weight lifting, with small weights. He's going on thirteen now and I think he's ready to try Shovelglove with a light hammer. Maybe eight pounds.
I dug out your before and during pix to show him how great you look and was pleasantly surprised to see that you had updated your pic.
I had to drop in on you to say how amazing you look!!
Wow I'm really impressed!
It was also nice to see how you look without glasses.
Also loved the arrangement of EDS props. The timer, the two wine glasses.
The Jabba the Hut I will assume represents Gluttony????
LOL
Anyway, it was inspiring to me. I still really respect how much you have done for yourself to improve your health, and even more now, knowing that you have stuck with this for over six years now!
So I wanted to take a moment to congratulate you!
I'll be really trying to follow your example this year :wink:
Debs x

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:54 am

Glad you appreciated the latest "during!" It's nice to know there are discerning cognoscenti who get all the subtle symbolism. :-)

Hope Richie likes shovelglove, if he decides to give it a try. I'll refrain from my usual warnings about possible dangers because you have a much better sense of them than I do.

Best to you both in 2009!

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:38 am

Popping in on your thread again Reinhard :)
Just wanted to let you know that we actually went to check out eight pound or less, sledgehammers today for Richie.
But he was very uncomfortable with it right away, and said he didn't like the way it felt, and even with the four pound short handled sledge, which I had him try to do a "flip lever", he almost stotted himself right on the side of his head.
So I didn't push it. It was definitely not for him.
We decided to go buy two five pound neoprene encased dumb bells instead.
I hope he uses and enjoys them.
Have a great week and New Years!
8) Debs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:33 pm

So I didn't push it. It was definitely not for him.
Yeah, he's probably a little young... one should probably be of age to operate heavy machinery before attempting shovelglove. :-)

Dec 23: Glass ceiling failure. Met an old drinking buddy when I was in NYC visiting my family and went a couple over.

Dec 24,25: NWS days for shovelglove and nosdiet (Christmas eve and Christmas). Glass ceiling failure on the 24th, 1 drink over limit.

Reinahrd

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:47 pm

Wed Dec 31: glass ceiling failure, one drink over limit. New Years Eve is a little tricky. Took NWS day for Nos and shovelglove

Thu Jan 1: NWS for shovelglove. We were traveling and conditions were a little cramped even for improvisation (no way I was going to risk waking our 18 month old!)

Fri Jan 2: tasks failure. Forgot the eyedrops again. Otherwise fine.

Sat Jan 3: exempt day from Weekend Luddite. Our 4 year old got a concussion and I had to google directions to the hospital. She's totally fine, thank God. Anyway, no way I'm going to give myself "red."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:31 pm

Tuesday Jan 20: glass ceiling failure. 1 drink over the limit. Met an old college friend after work for beers. Justified it to myself at the time as a "time zone shift," but since I'm officially not doing that anymore, red. Also tasks failure: forgot to pray.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:05 pm

reinhard wrote: Sat Jan 3: exempt day from Weekend Luddite. Our 4 year old got a concussion and I had to google directions to the hospital. She's totally fine, thank God. Anyway, no way I'm going to give myself "red."
\
Wow, I missed this before Reinhard!
Hope she is alright now.
8) Debs x

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:09 pm

ps.. I have found that it's good to have the number of the nearest Fire Dept nearby, because they usually can get to you very fast with a paramedic, as opposed to calling 911 which then has to get re routed to the nearest emergency care.

Spook

Post by Spook » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:23 am

reinhard wrote:Sat Jan 3: exempt day from Weekend Luddite. Our 4 year old got a concussion and I had to google directions to the hospital. She's totally fine, thank God. Anyway, no way I'm going to give myself "red."
Glad she's OK. I've got to say though, you've done pretty well to get through 4 years without having to know where the hospital is - maybe we're just bad parents, but I'm pretty sure they know us by name at our local childrens' hospital by now!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:47 pm

Thanks for your concern, Deb and Spook! She's fine.

We've actually been to the hospital PLENTY over the last few years, I really ought to know how to get there. My problem is I'm such an urban ranger that I hardly every drive.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Thursday Feb 12.

Took a special day for Nosdiet and shovelglove. Personal day in NYC to take my mom to the doctor -- for which she insisted on rewarding me by stuffing me with sweets from Zabars.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:02 pm

Zabars is amazing!
If any treats are worth NWS days, they would come from there. :wink:
Hope your Mom is okay Rein.
Have a great Valentines day and weekend!
8) Debs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:23 pm

Thanks, Deb. My, mom is doing fine.

Yes, I love Zabars. Their chocolate babka and apricot tartlets are among my (many) favorites.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:14 pm

Mon Feb 16: President's day (no-s and shovelglove special day)

Thurs Feb 19: no-s special day for fancy dinner at friends'. I was on the fence about whether to try to single plate it, but decided to err on the side of hospitality.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:58 pm

Mon Feb 23: Tasks failure. Just one "errand" short. Sort of a meta-task failure: didn't get my weekly big picture update done.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:13 am

Monday March 9: Nos and shovelglove special day (Purim)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:25 pm

Sunday March 15: glass ceiling failure. 1 Drink over the limit (1 after seeing Verdi's Otello late Saturday night, one with dinner Sunday, one cocktail later with my wife). No disaster, but no good excuse.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:56 pm

Saturday April 4th: Glass ceiling failure. My first "tandem" glass ceiling failure with a fellow practitioner. He'd had a rough breakup and needed some consolation. 2 drinks over the limit.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:44 pm

Wed April 8 - Thu April 9: No-s and shovelglove special days (passover)

Wed April 15: No-s special day (vacation)

Wed April 15 - Thu April 16: Shovelglove special days (vacation)

Mon April 20: Shovelglove special day (vacation)

I actually did remarkably well limiting my nws days this vacation (6 weekdays). Knowing that I'd have to tick them off on the habitcal was helpful.

Reinhard
Last edited by reinhard on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Saturday April 18: Glass ceiling failure. 1 drink over the limit. I'm amazed that's all it was -- saw an old drinking buddy on my vacation, a genius of drinking games. The glasses were on the large side, but under the circumstances, I'm pretty pleased with how it went.
Last edited by reinhard on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:56 pm

Hey considering you used to be a gold medal drinker, that's pretty great!! :wink:
Have a nice weekend!

8) Debs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:36 pm

Thanks, Deb!

Friday April 24th: tasks failure. Missed 2 work tasks. It's been a while! Using the habitcal to track my "personal punch cards" task completion has been astonishingly effective.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 15, 2009 5:25 pm

Thursday May 14: Tasks Failure. Got too caught up with work stuff and neglected hebrew study routine.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon May 18, 2009 3:43 pm

Friday May 15th: no-s and shovelglove special day. We were invited over to a good friend's fancy housewarming dinner. He'd mentioned that his girlfriend had baked a fancy molten chocolate cake, so no no-s was a no-brainer, but I also knew we'd be getting home too late for shovelglove not to be torture. A little borderline because not technically a holiday, but a deliberate, up front decision -- and well worth it.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:11 pm

Mon May 25th (memorial day): nosdiet and shovelglove special day.

Sat may 30th: weekend luddite failure. I decided it was worth chalking up a failure to get the part 2 of the mods and tweaks trilogy out already.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:29 pm

Sat June 13: Glass ceiling failure. 1 drink over the limit. 2 beers at our younger daughter's 2nd birthday party, then surprise babysitting allowed mommy and daddy to go out for a drink later. Unusual enough an opportunity to be worth a (small) failure, I thought.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:32 pm

Friday June 19th: no-s and shovelglove special day (my wife AND my mother's birthday).

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:58 pm

Wed June 24:

Shovelglove "sick" special day. Tweaked my wrist doing heroically trying to carry a bit, full cast iron pot on Tuesday. I did my 14 minutes Tuesday night, mostly legs, but since I jogged Wednesday afternoon, my legs were pretty much shot Wednesday night. I decided to give myself a "special" day to allow my wrist to recover. By Thursday night I was back to normal.

Tasks Failure. A bit of work panic knocked me off course. Missed one work item, a routine task (hebrew study), and an errand (update my big picture). I also stayed up way past bedtime unsuccessfully scrambling to get everything done.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:04 pm

Congratulations on your Wife and Moms Birthdays Rein!
So she is a Gemini then?
They are supposed to be one of the best pairings for a Libra btw..

Hope you are all better from tweaking..
You must have been cooking a heavy meal! LOL

Have a great weekend!
8) Debs

jenlio97

Letting go of mistakes

Post by jenlio97 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:01 pm

Yesterday was day 11 and I gave into seconds at a party. But there were soo many temptations. seconds was not that bad for a N day. today I am trying to stick with the N day routine before I go to a wedding later. My binge monster is telling me to eat because I can but I like the self acceptance I feel when I stick to the S's and do not want to feel unneccesary guilt.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:54 pm

I'm not sure about the Zodiac...

Though I get along pretty well with both of them, so who knows. :-)

And I'm all recovered from my le crueset injury, thanks for asking.

I took a no s diet special day yesterday to take my older daughter to the ice cream (toscaninis!) shop as a reward for having done her new "chore" for a full week. A little iffy, perhaps, I guess I could have just watched her eat her ice cream, but I decided I'd rather do that than take Friday which I have off for the 4th.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:17 pm

Friday July 3: took shovelglove special day (vacation day, 4th of July "observed")

Sat July 4: glass ceiling failure. 2 drinks over the limit. They were weak, and one was "partial" (total of 3 cans of bud and a scant dixie cup of white wine at the beach) but a glass is a glass. Great 4th overall. I didn't realize I could feel so strongly about a hot dog, but Saugies are amazing.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Sat July 18th: glass ceiling failure. 1 drink over the limit. We had guests over for dinner and there was a tiny splash of much better wine than I normally drink left over in the bottle. Didn't seem worth saving, but a pity to pour down the sink... so with the help of a little rationalization, red.

Sunday July 19th: Weekend luddite failure. Had to look up an address. I was good about getting right off after, but I find it helpful to be very strict in my criteria. Keeps me on my toes.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:03 am

reinhard wrote:Sunday July 19th: Weekend luddite failure. Had to look up an address. I was good about getting right off after, but I find it helpful to be very strict in my criteria. Keeps me on my toes.
Great move on calling the failure, Reinhard. I'm with you on the strictness thing. I was going to go over my Evening Luddite time last night and put down a success since it was only 15mins but I couldn’t bring myself to do it as I saw it as cheating so I turned it off at midnight 3/4 of the way through my TV show. Needless to say I have a true success now and am much happier for it.

I am noticing a lot of people on the forums excuse their failures and take a success when it's "close". I've seen it on every manner of habit. If that's what they feel they need to do that's their prerogative, who am I to judge them. I don't think it's very wise though and sets a dangerous precedent of being able to fail and not call it a failure. I remember you did a podcast, number 22, In defence of Failure, on this exact issue.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:17 pm

Thanks, Bushranger.

Yes, I'm a big fan of strictness :-)

But I understand that people are different, or at least in different places, and may need to ease into it a bit. So I try to gently nudge them rather than harass them about it. Strictness doesn't mean meanness, after all :-)

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:09 pm

Wed July 22: nosdiet and shovelglove Special day (our 8th wedding anniversary).

Reinhard

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:10 am

reinhard wrote:Wed July 22: nosdiet and shovelglove Special day (our 8th wedding anniversary).

Reinhard
You have my belated warmest congratulations Reinhard. :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:25 am

That's nice Reinhard!!
Congratulations!!
You've adhered to your wedding vows even longer than Shovelglove! :wink:
What did you guys do to celebrate? :D
8) Debs x

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:37 pm

Thanks, Bushranger and Deb.

We went to a fancy local restaurant called Oleana.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:13 pm

Wednesday July 29: tasks failure. Fell asleep and neglected to do my Hebrew study. Oh well. It's been a while.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:24 am

Friday Aug 7: Glass ceiling failure. One drink over the limit. Rough couple days at work. Had a couple drinks with coworkers after work to recuperate and didn't object when my wife poured me a glass of wine at dinner. No disaster, but red.