Hi Im new !!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Casey

Hi Im new !!

Post by Casey » Thu May 19, 2005 11:05 pm

Ok I found this today after II I need to lose about 40 pounds. I just hada baby..anyhow. So tonight Im going to competlety binge and eat whatever I want to...And tomarroe Im doing the no s diet. I cant wait to start losing. How ever I got a little problem..I dont have sledge hammer ..what can I do instead for it place? :?

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu May 19, 2005 11:12 pm

Hi Casey!

Congratulations on your new baby :!:

When I began playing with shovelgloving, I didn't have a sledgehammer either, so I improvised using one 5-pound dumbbell. It was very short, but still worked okay. I enjoyed the movements so much I went out and bought my very own sledgehammer.

Hope you enjoy both the diet and the exercise!

Casey

Post by Casey » Thu May 19, 2005 11:13 pm

Thanks for repling :) I can just see the look on my hubby face when I ask for one..Im such the girlie girl when it come to tools..lol..

Casey

Post by Casey » Thu May 19, 2005 11:26 pm

The no sweets part ..does that mean no sugar as well..like natrual sugars?? I had planned on no natural sugars anyhow..but I being extremly dence here I guess. Is this that simple. ?? No sweets no snacking to me it so good to be true type of thing. I so hope Im wrong.

Kevin

About shovelglove

Post by Kevin » Fri May 20, 2005 12:28 am

Hi, Casey. I've been SGing on and off for a year (off sometimes because of an injured shoulder). You can, maybe should, start with something lighter. Does your husband have a baseball bat? You can probably find one at a yard sale. Get the motions down - or make them up. You can pretend your a martial artist - have you ever watched one of them with a weapon? Perfect to start. Swordfight with it. Work up to an 8 pound hammer someday, then a 10 pound hammer. Go to 12 when you are monster strong.

Shovelgloving is playtime. Play.. Make up scenarios - working the mine, storming the gates, fighting the hun, etc.

I'm working on another variation based on an idea I got at another web sight. I'm going to buy two (very cheap) wiffle ball bats and fill them with sand, then play two handed fighter - swing them across each other like weapons, block pretend blows, etc.

You might even find the 15 minutes goes by too quickly - but you never have to do more than that.

Just be sure, be absolutely sure, to have fun.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Casey

Post by Casey » Fri May 20, 2005 2:29 am

Kevin- Thanks so much for that information !! I never thought of that. when Dh (dear husband) got home I told him all about this site..and then I said I need a sledgehammer...he just looked at me like huh?? the nhe made a very valid point. Look at construction workers..there very in shape. I thought for sure he would say something negative about ...so now I have the support at home that I need :) Anyhow I have a hammer here I can start ASAP !!!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri May 20, 2005 11:11 am

My husband looked at me kind of funny, too, when he saw the sledgehammer leaning against the wall in the livingroom. But I explained what it was about and he didn't say anything further. It's a really good workout, so don't exceed the 14 minutes or you will feel it the next day. Less than 14 minutes is also good, in the beginning.

Love your signature!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 20, 2005 11:23 am

Welcome, Casey!

Kevin gives good advice about the shovelglove: start light and keep it fun. Even if fun weren't a good in itself, you won't continue to do the exercise unless it's fun. That's why so few of us can stick with the gym.

Your husband's makes a valid observation about the construction workers. Would make a good scenario, too.

As for yesterdays' binge, well, what's done is done, but it's good to get out of that mentality.

"No sweets" means no foods that are primarily sugar. More here:

http://nosdiet.com/#sweets

Last off, consider starting a daily check-in to help motivate you to get through the critical few weeks it takes to build the habit. Click on the main "board" link at the top to see that.

Sorry for the staccato style of this post, wanted to address a bunch of issues at least briefly. Congratulations on your baby! Mine says hello (loudly, repeatedly, must go...)

Casey

Post by Casey » Fri May 20, 2005 12:51 pm

reinhard- Yes, Im out of the binge thiniking. I started looking at labels last night to see how much sugar was in food..and I was shocked. I didnt realise just how much there was in normal food.

Jan- Thanks about my siggie. Im trying to get it smaller to fit in my avater.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon May 23, 2005 6:55 pm

Welcome Casey!
So I was nosy and looked at your site... is that you and your little one in that pic? What a cutie-pie, and Mama you are a gorgeous gal yourself! :)
The hardest part of No-S after all the calorie restricting/food restricting/exercise to death routines of the past? The fact that you may not lose 40 pounds in a month, or maybe even in a year. But... if you stick with it, you WILL lose it if you give your body the time and opportunity to do the things it intuitively knows how to do! And not only will you lose it, it will stay off, not like diets in the past where you stopped dieting and gain it all back plus some pounds.
The scariest part of No-S? It is quite simple, to the point. So simple in fact it is hard to comprehend that it can actually work. But look at our fearledd leader and others who have been no-essing for a while, and you will see clear evidence that it does indeed work!
Beth
Mom to Nathan and Jessica, born 04/20/2004

Casey

Post by Casey » Mon May 23, 2005 8:57 pm

Beth- Yes thats is my little Layla in the main pic..and well thats me. :oops: thanks ..your making blush :D I know No S Diet is so easy it was hard for me comperhend. I keep going back and rereading it..thinking I was skipping something. It seems very simple !! I just hope over time and a tummy tuck..lol.. I can get all this weight off..lol..j/k about the tummy tuck. I dont mind you were looking at "My Life"..lol.. I put it there for people to read about my absolutely boring life. :: I love your kiddos !! I like the finish on them too. Anyhow thanks for repling :) Are they twins?? Im a twin..We look identiacal !! I havea pic somewhere around here..Ill post it to my blog so everyone can see it :)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon May 23, 2005 9:26 pm

Casey, your kids are so cute!!!! What a blessing children are to us!

Jan

Casey

Post by Casey » Mon May 23, 2005 11:45 pm

Jan
I fee lthe same way about my kiddos. Layla and Kaylei are my miracle kids. Dr. told me couple months b/f I got preggo with Layla that I had pre-cancer in the cervix..so bad that it may need a hystoectomy. Well...I did end up having it bad..but not enough to lose my uterus. Then the Dr. also said we could never have kids..and if by chance we did get pregnant it would be a miracle. DH (dear hubby) has low sperm and they have no clue how to swim. Well we got two determined little swimmer. :D Im extremly proud of my little ones :) Thanks so much for commenting on them. Their the apple of my eye...

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue May 24, 2005 10:56 am

All children are miracles; your story is especially inspiring. My two are grown or nearly so: son is 20, married and daughter is 15. Can't imagine life without husband and kids. You have a beautiful family; I loved seeing the pictures. Maybe I will post a picture of mine someday, if I can figure out how to do that!

Jan, aka low-tech mom

Casey

Post by Casey » Tue May 24, 2005 11:46 am

Jan- I also thimnk kids are ..and I mean all of them are miracles.:: To post a pic you need to go and get a web hosting account. I use www.photobucket.com then you upload them to there. (from your computer) And when you do copy the very bottom tag. It will have Image Come over here to your post and paste it in here with whatever you have said. And the pic will show up. It seem hard..but after a few times it gets easy. Alo with my siggies I do the same..but I paste into my signature box under profile. That way I dont have to keep redoing it ;)

EDITED TO ADD: Photobucket is a free site. ;)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue May 24, 2005 1:02 pm

My daughter uses photobucket all the time. I will have to ask her to help me with it..