New Goal

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Justin

New Goal

Post by Justin » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:17 pm

OK, my girlfriend and I both set a goal to lose 5 lbs in the next month or so. I think I have a bit easier deal - she just wants motivation. I weighed in at 189.2 last night - I had to steal Reinhard's scale b/c I don't own one.

My plan is to stick with the no-s lifestyle as usual; however, I'm going to try to shave off my caloric in-take by 3,750 calories per week. That should bring me down by five pounds after 4 weeks, right?

Let's see, that's about 535 calories per day... ouch! I think I can do it. As an added measure, I'm going to try to increase my walking every day. Maybe go for a 20 minute walk everyday at lunch.

Wish me luck!

J

gratefuldeb67

Good Luck!

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:45 pm

Good luck with your goal Justin! I bet you hated standing on that scale eh?
They are evil!!!
I will ask you to consider this before you get all engrossed in your "Input/output" model and goal of losing five pounds...

How would you feel if you lost 2 or 3....
Would that rock your world!? How about, even though you are a long term Nosser, trying to go for that 21 club instead? I bet you will get to your goal without having to count one single calorie~....
Get your girlfriend to join and let that, three weeks on habit, be your mutual goal....

I believe that if you are cutting out 500 calories a day that is purely "S calories" like snacks and sodas, great.. But if you are trying to tweak NoS foodwise to the point where you are not feeling satisfied, it might just be better to reduce your calories by, say 700 per week... (random but more doable... you know 7 days times one 100 calorie soda or snack...)
and just stick it out for a little longer, you might be happier... No it's not faster... But it's still a goal... I just suggest this because even you, yourself, kind of "shuddered" at the daunting thought of trying to cut that many calories a day....
I can't guarantee anything, of course, but I would say, just try to add a little more exercise into the mix... I think Reinhard would say this too...
Why? Because it's fun, and less depressing than going nuts with diet modifications... And anyway, not to minimize your goal or your feelings of wanting to change your body, but you already look "mahavalous!" :lol:

Ironically, your post is remotivating me to get back to having a good goal... Hey, maybe I'll be able to join that damn 21 club after all! LOL...
I'm gonna try to do it all over again, and use the green/red method...
Naturally, I won't be having KFC for every meal.. I think the attempt is very important to my self esteem this month, so I'm gonna ask you for your "luck" wishes as well!!! My personal goal is to stop with the funny stuff.... I haven't been strict, and due to life circumstances, I also, abruptly stopped exercising for the past two or three weeks.... When I stopped that, it became a vicious cycle... My eating started to slack...
I haven't weighed myself and refuse to get on that beast again until I'm feeling like I'm in a happier place... My clothes are all clinging again, and my tapemeasure confirms this.. I'm up an inch on my waist...
I wish to simply get a handle on things again, however that translates poundwise... When I look myself in the mirror and I know I really tried my best and hardest, I am always content with that..

Okay, sorry if this was a little pedantic... Stick with the habits and crank up your exercise!!! That will really do it for you! Don't be swayed too much by pounds per se... Remember, if you increase muscle mass that number on the scale isn't such a great tool for measuring progress.
Muscle is three times as dense as fat~
As for exercise... How's tilling your future farm going? Get your girlfriend to help you plant potatoes! LOL....
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:55 pm

Deb,
You're right... the parts I'd trim are from S foods that have snuck their way in to my life. Things like adding lots of milk to coffee or eating tortilla chips at a Mexican restaurant. Those are exactly the things I'm going to trim out.

I like your idea of doing 5 days of higher calorie reduction. I'll give that a whirl.

Of course, the problem isn't in my current lifestyle since my weight has stayed the same for about two years. The problem is shaving off those few extra pounds now and then finding a healthy no-s lifestyle to maintain that!

J

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:00 pm

Ha ha.. I thought I was suggesting less of a caloric reduction...
You know, just 700 calories for the whole week....
And, by my standards, milk isn't an S....
Tortilla chips... Yeah, that sounds pretty "S'ish"....
I'm sure your walking will make a big impact on your metabolism!
Go for it!!
Peace,
8) Deb

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:22 pm

Oops... guess I mis-read your post. I suppose I was reading it how I wanted to, not how you wrote it! :D We'll see how I do.

J

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:45 pm

Good luck Justin! Is this your first NoS attempt? Regardless, I wish you and your gf all the best in your efforts toward your goal (whatever it ultimately becomes).

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:56 pm

Ariel King wrote:Good luck Justin! Is this your first NoS attempt? Regardless, I wish you and your gf all the best in your efforts toward your goal (whatever it ultimately becomes).
Thanks Ariel. No, I've been doing the No-S lifestyle (for the most part) for several years. I started it when I used to work with Reinhard 3 or 4 years ago. It really helped me lick my snack & sugar cravings.

I've slipped a bit over the past 6 months and it's time for me to rein it in a bit. This will be a good exercise in self-control. Plus, it'll be good to shed a few pounds before entering the dark period of winter!

J

navin

Post by navin » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:59 pm

Ah, but you live in Massachusetts. You may wish you had that extra insulation come winter time. :)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:20 am

The thing about living in places with seasonal temperature changes, is that in the summer, you cook with the extra insulation, but there's a limit to the amount of clothing you can remove. In the winter when it is cold, you can just put on some more clothes. Better longjohns than a layer of fat for keeping warm!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:44 am

Oh Jan! What would you know about a layer of fat! LOL....
All 104 lbs of you! Hee hee....

Meanwhile, I say, just cook naked in the Summer, and grab someone in the Winter!
Ha ha!!!!

Yes, I am in a lecherous mood right now! Hee....
Love,
8) Deb

Justin

Post by Justin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:27 pm

Wow! I've forgotten how tricky it is to change lifestyle. I feel like I'm re-starting NoS, but with a bit sharper edge to it. I'm certainly noticing my hunger from a slightly lower calorie diet, but overall I fell more energetic. Also, now that I'm much more focused, I realize how much I was actually dipping in to the 'S's without even thinking about it.

J

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:20 am

Focused and clear all at once!!!
That is a good combo :D

It's very easy to get into the status quo Justin, and then not even really realize it, sometimes, until the damage is done...
Kudos to you for refreshing your outlook and seeing where you are now!

I think I have to shake myself up a lot more now too...
The more I think about it, the more I really like and admire Reinhard's great "monthly resolutions" idea... Whatever our personal goals are, why not make them manageable and less daunting... I think when the pressure to complete the goal is lower, we can really devote our minds and will to them much more effectively...
I'm really into this 21 day attempt...
It's nice to have a goal.. You feel like you deserve a pat on the back!
Keep up the great focused work in your new life!
Love,
8) Deb

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:35 pm

Success so far! I weighed in on Reinhard's scale last night at 186.6. It was after supper and at the same time as last week. That's 2.6 pounds in a week -- which I find hard to believe. I'd guess that roughly one pound is due to a normal fluctuation. That means I lost about 1.5 lbs last week which puts me on track for the 5 lbs in a month.

The best part is that by refocusing on NoS, I feel much better. I used to feel bloated all the time and now I realize it was because I was unknowingly overeating.

Yesterday was actually an 'S' day for me b/c it was my girlfriend's birthday. Still, I tried to limit my intake - actually I was fairly full.

It's really fun re-discovering NoS.

J

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:35 pm

Yay Justin!!!!!!!
You go farmer boy! :wink:

Keep it up... I agree about rediscovering NOS, since I'm starting a kind of new "phase" of my NOS growth myself now.... It is really fun to take a look at where you are and where you were in your NOS life.. It's always good to shake off cobwebs when they start to creep into the picture...

ps.. You will never see me stepping on a scale in the evening after a meal.. LOL....

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Justin

Post by Justin » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:16 pm

Things are looking good for my goal of losing 5 lbs this month. Monday night, I weighed-in at 185.2. That's about 1.25 lbs less than the previous week. I'm definitely not starving myself. Just reducing my caloric intake by a smidgen. I also still feel quite a bit more energetic.

J
Last edited by Justin on Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:04 pm

Good for you Justin!!!!!
I tried to write about this a while back but made my explanation really long and complicated... I'll give it a go, again now though since you are reminding me of it...

One of the most energy consuming functions of the body is the process of digestion... It takes a lot of our energy... I too believe that when you have less to process, it just taxes our system less and we reap the benefits of increased energy levels... Not only that, the simple comfort of feeling lighter is enough to raise your spirits and make you feel light and energized!!!
Every smidgen counts and lets face it, it's easier to cut down by smidgens than by huge amounts... It's maintainable and even, as you have found, preferable!

Good for you!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:38 pm

I guess it's good in a way to step on the scale after dinner to get the most pessimistic numbers -- reduces unpleasant surprises and increases pleasant ones, but I have to confess the only time I get on is empty.

Justin

Post by Justin » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:49 pm

reinhard wrote:I guess it's good in a way to step on the scale after dinner to get the most pessimistic numbers -- reduces unpleasant surprises and increases pleasant ones, but I have to confess the only time I get on is empty.
When I first started the goal, I thought of weighing myself right after a tasty supper. So, I've continued with that for consistency. If weight is the choice for measuring progress, it seems best to be consistent when you do it b/c of the fluctuations throughout the day.

Also, I guess I want the pessimistic numbers so that I can feel better if they come out a bit high!

J

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:56 pm

You guys crack me up!!!
Love,
8) Deb

Justin

Post by Justin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:19 pm

Quick update this week. I weighed in Monday night after dinner at 185.4, but realized I really had to pee and I had a big belt buckle on. After fixing those two problems, I was 184.2. So, in theory, I've reached my 5 pound goal! But the month isn't over yet. This morning, I walked two miles and I'll walk one more on my way to work. I've definitely found that for the most part, my appetite is down to normal. Even when I have a feeling of hunger, it doesn't overwhelm me anymore.

J

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:46 pm

Nice job.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:18 pm

Justin!!!!
That was funny!!! :lol:
Glad you resolved your "needs" and really glad you reached your goal!!!!!
Awesome!!!
I bet you can feel a difference in yourself!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Justin

Post by Justin » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:57 pm

After a month (more or less), I officially weighed in last night. I lost 6 pounds! And that was after a weekend of over snacking. I'm going to go for another 5-6 pounds this month. Then I'll be darned close to my target weight. I won't bore y'all with the details this month.

J

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:33 pm

It is not boring Justin!!!!
Fantastic news!!!!! :D
Good boy!!!!
Yay NoS... (ps... how'd your Girl do??? hee..)
Love,
8) Deb