Computer problem

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
gratefuldeb67

Computer problem

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:55 pm

Well, thought I'd throw this out here as the leader of Everyday Systems is a computer programmer and there are probably lots of very informed "geeks" available to give advice.
I thought of going on a tech forum, but I'm too lazy to try and sift through the thousands that are out there.

The problem I have is that the time on the computer keeps resetting itself back one hour every day.
I keep resetting it forward and this just doesn't stick.
I am fairly certain there's something wrong with the Windows because it's not updating properly.. At least that's what I assume it is.
The computer also doesn't shut down properly.
Whenever we go to shut it with the startup menu, and choose Turn off, it always ends up restarting, so we have been having to shut it off manually each time (which I imagine can't be good for it..???)

Anyone know anything about how to fix this?
I'm on the verge of just reinstalling the Windows, as this computer was purchased new and we have the restore disks to do that.
It's just time consuming.
But if that's the answer, I'll just do it.

Thanks in advance!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:56 pm

You may have already done this, but I would check that your computer's time settings are set to the correct time zone ... you can also play with turning the automatic Daylight Savings Time adjustment on/off, and turning the automatic time sync on and off. (Depending on how old your system is and how often you apply Windows updates, you may not have the most current DST patch).

Here is a link that discusses the reboot instead of turning off problem. It has to do with setting the computer's reaction to an error during shutdown. One article I read hinted that the clock problem might be connected to a battery issue, which might cause an error during shutdown (although I'd expect the error to occur at startup):

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... may13.mspx

You never know, the two problems may be related, i.e. if you fix up the clock settings, the shutdown problem might be fixed, too. Good luck!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:51 pm

Thanks Winnie!
.. I'll check the forum about the shut down problem.
This is a fairly new machine.
But it got hit with a few viruses last year when the protection expired, and I think it buggered the Windows to be honest.
The battery could be something, but I'm too lazy at the moment to open this up. I had read that on some forums too. Not too sure about it.
Again this computer is less than two years old.
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:08 pm

Hey Winnie, thanks for that great link!
I just fixed the restart problem.
There was a separate forum for that and I checked what the possible causes could be and one of them said "you have Roxio cd writer on your computer" or something and you need an updated driver.
Well I never use that program anyway, cos the sound quality is so bad, so I just dumped it, and now the computer shuts off like it should!
Will see what happens with the time now.
Maybe that was screwing with the clock as well cos it never shut down properly..
Lets see...
Thanks again!
8) Debs