~ Reviving Renee ~

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

~reneew

~ Reviving Renee ~

Post by ~reneew » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:16 pm

I've written my weight loss and goals here at the very beginning of my journey for quick reference so I know where to find it.
:wink: I plan to record my best weight each month.

10/08 - 0 starting weight
11/08 - 15 - 20 down. honest. What am I doing? vanilla No S!
12/08 - 20 down, then I got over-confident, quit and it was Christmas time! I seem to always make it to 20, then bounce.
01 /09
02 /09
03 /09 - 0 down. again :oops:
04 /09 - 10 down.
05/09 - 14 down. (but I got a new scale that reads 3 pounds off of the last, so actually 3 more lost from now on)
06 /09 - 18 Slowing, so I reset my goal :wink: got to 20 and bounced.. again...and again...and again. I have for years.
07 /09 - 18 down. I seem to only be able to maintain this summer. Difficult temptations when the kids are around.
08 /09 - 20 - and very determined not to bounce!
09 /09 - 26 down!
10/09- 21 - quit and tried sparkpeople for 3 weeks... duh. Reset my goal again. :roll:
11/09- 16 big gain during the holidays:roll:
12/09- didn't want to know... weigh day was on Christmas and new years was worse!
01 /10 - 17 down.
02 /10 - 17
03 /10- 20
04 /10 -
05 /10 -
06 /10 - 20 just seems to be my number! ug
07 /10 -
08 /10 - 21 I seem to maintain every summer.
09 /10 - 26 down again!!! Woohoo!!!
10/10 -
11/10 -
12/10 -
01/11 - just don't ask... gaining
02/11 -
03/11 -
04/11 - I try daily... and fail daily all winter. Ug.
05/11 - 0 :oops: yep, back to the beginning! I feel miserable!
06/11 -
07/11 - 0 and starting over with a fresh start
08/11 - 11 down. Yea! 2-3 dishes period. 7 days a week.
09/11 -
10/11-
11/11- 5 down
12/11- 0 down. Back to the beginning. I feel like a fat looser... time to try another plan I think. But then I'm not really doing this either.
01/12- 0 Doing Paul McKenna I can make you thin
02/12- +5 and an new 0 on 3/15/12 :oops: For the past year I've been wishy washy trying everything. Where did it leave me? At a new all-time high! I'll call it zero, but it's a new zero.
03/12- 12 down from my new high. Fresh start the week of my 45th birthday! Vanilla NoS without cut-and-pasting my ideas into it! I went 21 days strictly straight!!!
04/12- 20 down from my highest. I feel like I have the habit: vanilla with a couple double good days a week. Only 1 red this month.
05/12- 22 down. A few reds.
06/12- 23 down. A few more reds. Ug.
07/12- 22 down. Harder to stay 100% when my weekends blow the entire week. Summers with the 4 kids home are tough!
08/12- 27 down. I've started to wait for hunger, get 1 dish, and try to stop at satisfied. It is really helping. 2-3 dishes of food. Also bought a treadmill...
09/12- 28 down. I'm trying to wait for hunger and stop at full along with vanilla NoS
10/12- 32 down so far and lighter than I've been in over 6 years! Woohoo!
11/12-34 down but actually 39-42 because of the broken scale thing. I want to get to half way!
12/12- 30 down but I got as high as only 18 down around the New Year. UG!
01/13- 26 down
02/13- 24 down
03/13- 24 down
04/13- 22 down. Why do the holidays de-rail me so bad? Ug!!!
05/13- 24 down
06/13- 25 down
07/13- 28 down
08/13- 26down
09/13- 26 down
10/13- 26 down
04/15-0 Back to ground zero. Feel terrible and obese.
11/15-O zero, though I think it's a new zero. Someday I'll put the actual weight here. Maybe. Ha
03/16- 0 Bouncing to zero still. Not getting anywhere. Trying everything but noS. So... Im back!
08/16-0 but a new higher 0. This is my max, only 5 under my highest pregnancy weight and I gained 70 when pregnant! Starting over determined!
9/16-10 down doing just vanilla
12/16- 15 down. lingering here. Just want to maintain til the new year.
6/17- 5 down. ug
09/17- 12 down and ready to stop this quitting and searching for better easier and faster ideas. They haven't worked! focus on steady state of peace, not loss at this point. I'm going to do NoS except for special occasions only.

09/18 50 down because I had a pulmonary embolism and started weight watchers. 40 to go but I know I‘ll get there!

2/19 75 down doing Weight watchers, but hating the foods I’m eating

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: FRESH START :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

10/22 20 down and starting over, serious plain ol’ strict noS. Forever.

Start weight 250, current weight 220, goal weight 150 (but realistically this time 180)
Last edited by ~reneew on Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 176 times in total.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:54 pm

Notice I didn't start right away. I had to get inspired!

I'm still doing good, if I can get out of the kitchen when I'm done eating I'm better. Maybe if my family did dishes and cleaned up all of it.... Ha!
Keep it up! Water water water!
Last edited by ~reneew on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:39 pm

Doin' good. I'm never hungry at breakfast. Food doesn't even sound good. I couldn't make myself eat it this morning. It seems to me that if someone is overweight and repelled by food at breakfast, they shouldn't eat, so I refuse. I'll eat my usual brunch around 11:00 and call it good. I do need to watch those seconds at supper and I'm assuming that snitching more while cleaning up the kitchen counts as seconds... I need to work hard on that. I haven't snacked, so I call that a huge success.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:47 pm

Wow did I enjoy my s days!!! :oops: I need to forgive myself and start the week out good. I'm still following it, I just over-did my Ss. NO COOKIES! NO SNAX, NO SECONDS, NO SNITCHING CLEANING UP AFTER SUPPER! Make it through Halloween, then you can have some candy on Saturday :!:

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:20 pm

WWWWooooooooooooooooooo HHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOO
yesterday was perfectly awesome, I'm back on track from the derailment of the s days. Hmmm. Will my s days always be that bad? I suppose that the habit will eventually take over and I'll be a good girl on weekends too someday.... someday! Try water! Oh, and like I told 'please work' I ran up the steps the other day! Go figure! I'm hauling an extra 60-70 and I ran... up! ..... the whole flight! WWWooooooooooo HHHoooooooooooooo!

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:34 pm

Here's to the start of a perfect day. :lol: :lol:

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:50 pm

Nope, your "S" days will NOT always be that difficult. You'll just naturally start wanting & eating less on "S" days....it's true! And it's brilliant! I think what happens is that your body is learning to need a reasonable amount of food three times a day....and that begins to carry over to the weekends....amazing! But don't worry about it....5 days a week of healthy eating beats two days of "S" eating any week!

Have a great day!
janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:32 pm

I had an awesome yesterday, I'm feeling good again ~ finally recovered from the weekend. I'm expecting another great day :)

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:48 pm

Annother great day yesterday, which is amazing since I make a roast in the crockpot and I could smell it all day. I usually graze on it the whole time which adds up to probably 3-5 servings, THEN have supper. I waited all day and then I didn't even snitch a bite before or after! I AM AMAZED at myself. There is great hope!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:10 pm

Good day yesterday, but I did snitch 2 relatively big bites while cleaning up after supper. :oops: I'm not going to count those because I did so well yesterday and if I think that I failed yesterday, then today will be aweful! If food is in my face, I eat. Today I am doing good so far, but am very very tempted. I need to do something fun. I'll go sew.

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:09 pm

I was very hungry last night before bed ~ too much yard work and not enough food, but I didn't cheat. I'm having lunch now and I'm going to try and eat a little more at lunch because I am usually very hungry by supper...... Last night was crazy so I had no time to eat supper and I didn't eat enough, I'm suprised I didn't blow it. Neither did you ~ two bites were just suppose to be part of your supper you forgot to put on your plate!!! Stay strong......

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:23 pm

I really want a sweet, Saturday is coming right????

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:12 pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:29 pm

RED day yesterday :oops: The bananas did it! They were too ripe, so I made banana bread, then since I spotted the zucchini drying up on the counter, I made zucchini bread, besides the bowl was dirty. Tasted tasted tasted. Sweets AND snacks right? RED DAY! It didn't end there, I snacked on beef jerky I had made and cookies from Sunday's extravaganza, then made and ate pumpkin seeds (once a year right?) then I got a grip... and ate less at dinner. Hmmmmm. Today I bought PAPA Murphy's pumpkin pizza for dinner tonight and I'm really looking forward to it, so I've made a deal... if I snack, no pizza! I need to plan great dinners so that I can look forward to them and abstain. If today works, then that is my plan. I feel less gut, but the scale says nothin'. How about you 'please work'? :wink:

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:24 pm

Let's just say that I'm calling Halloween an S day. My habitcal for October was a little too colorful. I'm going to do better in November. I guess that even my S and failed days are better than before days, because it's Monday and I weigh the same as I usually did on Thursdays, which is 5 lb. less. I usually have at least a 5 lb. diference between Sun. night and Thursday morning. I have great potential for loss this week. Pray for me! woooo hooo! Let's go! :arrow:

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:28 pm

GREAT day yesterday... and great start today. This way of eating sure frees up my mind, which used to think WAY too much about food! I'm sure that I'm loosing, but I want to weigh in on Thursday mornings because I weigh the least then. Hope to hear from you "please work"... I might have to call to be sure you're not quitting in me!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:58 pm

Doin' great! This is so easy to do as far as eating better goes. Controling myself is always hard, but this doesn't take up my life to do this. No counting, no yucky foods, no thinking about food all day. Food is put on the back burner. Pun intended. I'm loosing and I can imagine doing this forever! No other diet has ever been that way and I'm a professional dieter! I will weigh in tomorrow and post my first 2 week's progress!
Last edited by ~reneew on Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sld

Post by sld » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:11 pm

~reneew wrote:Doin' great! This is so easy to do as far as eating better goes. Controling myself is always hard, but this doesn't take up my life to do this. No counting, no yucky foos, nothinking about food all day. Food is put on the back burner. Pun intended. I'm loosing and I can imagine doing this forever! No other diet has ever been that way and I'm a professional dieter! I will weigh in tomorrow and post my first 2 week's progress!
Reneew,

This is GREAT to read. I'm a newbie (1 day new newbie!) to NoS and have been reading as many threads as I can.

Thank you for posting this, it is an inspiration to me - a fellow professional dieter :wink: ...

I'm very happy for you that this is working, your attitude sounds maavalous!

Sherri

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:05 pm

* * * * I've dropped 10 pounds in my first 2 weeks!!! * * * *

(need I say more? I'm extatic!) woooohoooo!
Last edited by ~reneew on Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sld

Post by sld » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:30 pm

~reneew wrote:* * * * I've dropped 10 pounds in my first 2 weeks!!! * * * *

(need I say more? I'm extatic!) woooohoooo!
woo hoo indeed!! :D

Sherri

bizzybee

Post by bizzybee » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:38 pm

Wow, that's amazing and VERY inspiring!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:38 pm

I'm a scale-a-holic and ... guess what happened! Honestly!!! My 10 pound drop yesterday must have made me confident or something, I snacked a lot all afternoon! Duh! So, last night one or all of my 4 kids overloaded the toilet with too much toilet paper so that it clogged, then my "totally innocent" teen daughter flushed AGAIN so hard (wacking hard'll make it go down right?) that the stopper was stuck up and the water had nowhere to go but out... for a long time. So it not only flooded the bathroom and the basement below... it wrecked my digital scale!!! Only God could have had that good timing. I'm taking that as a message to not weigh myself... we'll see how long I can stand it.

As far as the scale goes... if I wiegh and find that I've lost, I celebrate, get confident, and eat. If I find no loss or a gain, I get depressed and rebell, and eat. Hmmmm. I say ditch the scale!

~emilyr

Hello!

Post by ~emilyr » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:41 pm

Okay, I'm having a good day. I had to put in a lot of failed days, but I'm back on track. Did you really lose 10 pounds? Your a maniac. I lost two.............. Sorry to hear about the water mess ~ sounds like a new project coming on.....

turtledove

Post by turtledove » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:20 pm

~reneew wrote:As far as the scale goes... if I wiegh and find that I've lost, I celebrate, get confident, and eat. If I find no loss or a gain, I get depressed and rebell, and eat. Hmmmm. I say ditch the scale!
I do that too! I started to wonder if I was automatically undermining my good intentions. Also, when I felt as if I was permanently giving up things I liked, I would take every opportunity to put them back in the mix. I'm hoping the No S way of life encourages me to wait till the weekends and not to overreact to the scale one way or another.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:08 pm

Nice to hear from ya 'please work'. How's Mom? I'm praying for you all! Well, I caved and bought a new scale. I don't like it (I liked it until I stood in it). I got a dial one so that the decimal numbers won't freak me out. Besides, all of the electronic ones have "memory" to track progress. It also will announce to all what you weigh!! NO WAY!
I ate at God Father's buffet at lunch with Hubby. Not good! I ate 2 Full plates. I'm wondering if I can count that as lunch and supper since I am still so full and I'm sure I won't have supper. I had a half piece of pecan pie this weekend and felt sick. I did pretty good otherwise...considering. I seem to be getting used to less food and not snacking. I'll count today's 2 plates as lunch and supper only if I don't eat anymore. :P

~emilyr

mom

Post by ~emilyr » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:05 am

Ok, I'll be doing really good and then I just have to snack because my mom will upset me, she leaves on Saturday ~ things will get better. It is a great concept and can work, I shouldn't let her cause ME to fail, okay, tomorrow........ :roll:

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:30 pm

Annother red day yesterday. It was good other than the icecream... and extra brat...and cookies. In hind sight, I could have avoided all of the temptation. I bought a turkey and it wouldn't fit in the freezer, so the icecream had to go. Then at supper, I still try to not overload my plate, then get too tempted for seconds, and since I already blew it, I ate more brat. Then I had to make cookies for church, then snitch snitch... So I pretty much had snacks, sweets and seconds yesterday! Hmmm, I guess I'm learning though!!! I like my scale again. I'm thinking I may check in my scale progress on Thursdays or Fridays, just to keep a long term count going so I won't step on it so much. Is there a weight chart on here? I'm finally finishing the no S book. I think that it REALLY helps. I highly recommend it. I'm charged to do a green day today! I have 3 red days this month already because I'm not letting myself do any little white lies to myself. I had 3 red days last month even though it was a half month. I want to not have ANY more this month. Christmas time will be hard enough! Ramble ramble.. :lol:

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:06 pm

:evil: OH MY GOSH!!!!! I did great yesterday until someone brought walking tacos to midweek at church. I am so weak! I could have then skipped supper and called it good but I had a chicken in the crockpot and the smell did it as soon as I walked in the door. I am on a bad 2 day streak. I read in the no s book last night that when you are doing bad to look back at your calendar at the green days. You won't want all of those to be for nothing! So, I'm doing good today. I even grabbed a cookie after lunch and spit the bite out when I remembered. I'm still good, that was my first bite. I guess my good habits are not there yet! I takes 21 days? I need to remember that and do 21 days straight!!! Starting today! Oh, my wieght was the same today, but I'm bloated and going to wiegh tomorrow. My goal is to do 21 days straight...that will be through Dec. 3rd. NO PROBLEM. :?
Last edited by ~reneew on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:34 pm

I just added a weight loss habitcal. Awesome visual!!!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:15 pm

I wieghed today... down 3!!! 13 total! wwoooooo hooooooo!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:12 pm

my weekend was annother S-travaganza! I sure enjoyed it, and now Monday seems hard, but I'm doin' great! Potluck tonight. They better have huge plates!!!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:05 pm

normal sized plate at the potluck last night. I did good. I have problems snitching food that I prepare for the kids... if it's in front of me I grab a spoon! I am more aware of it now, though.
Please pray for me

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:56 pm

Well now I think I am back ~ exercising two days in a row and also following the rules!

~emilyr

Post by ~emilyr » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:46 pm

:) Three days on, 18 to go............. I am doing quite well and I feel pretty good!! :!: How is your progress?

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:03 pm

Hi you two!!!

Hang in there...you're doing great! I've been here since late July & you're doing really well....I'm sure there are days that you feel you're not, but every day you have a "No S" day, you're stacking up a habit...like building blocks. When I have a bad day I remind myself that it took me 48 years to get to where I am and I'm not going to have this be a lifestyle in the first few months I'm on this. But we WILL get there!

Once again, you're doing great....!!!!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:05 pm

hmmm... not doin' so good, but WAY better than before. I bought cookies with the thick frosting. Not good. I blew it yesterday. If I could just stop going to Walmart!!! Starting new today. 21 days... and wiegh tomorrow. I'm thinking that I should be more careful on s days.
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:12 pm

My weight stayed the same this week. With Thanksgiving coming I may shorted my S weekend to just Saturday. My kids offer me Halloween candy (I wish it was gone) and then say "oh, you can't have any", then I say "I choose not to today". It makes me feel better. :?
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:33 am

Forget this 21 day streak thing I started... I have enough trouble doing one day. I've done great today. I'm doin' one day at a time. If I get through Thanksgiving without gaining I will really be thankful!!! Just don't gobble gobble gobble!!! :wink:
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:33 pm

great day yesterday! I feel like the tension is building up for the holidays, like I'll fail royally and be back at square one. My habit cal will have lots of green and red for the holidays. I've been doing this for 5 weeks and average only 3-4 good days because I get 1-2 red days a week plus the S-travaganza weekends... just try to go 1 day at a time and go for the green
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:31 am

My Gosh!!! I gave new meaning to Thanksgiving Feast!!! I colored 4 days red, then later remembered that at least Thursday and Saturday were S days. I did good today (Sun) so I'm coloring it green. All in all, I just have 2 red days. Better than I thought. This diet is forgiving. I like it!
Please pray for me

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:33 am

This diet is forgiving.
Renew,

I love that about NO S too ... at a minimum, twice a week, we are completely "forgiven"! :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:02 pm

Off to a good week. I'd like to loose for our vacation on the 17th. During December, just to maintain would be great, but I have great expectations!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:51 pm

:oops: :evil: :oops: :evil: :oops: No comment :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:13 pm

I'd be doing fine if I hadn't have made snickerdoodles, gingercookies, frosted cookies, chex mix, candycane cookies, and of course my famous carmels... and bought nuts galore!!! I am actually making way less that my usual because we'll be gone for a week. No wonder I gain every December!!!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:50 pm

I have been blessed with a terrible miserable cold with which I only crave soup, chips and orange juice and sleep. I am aware that the chips craving is probably because I need more fluids and want salt. Subsequently, I had a good day yesterday, finally! My holiday calendar is looking pretty festive!!!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:47 pm

In order to hopefully eat less, until Christmas, I plan on a desert (yes, a sweet) after supper. I otherwise snack on sweets non stop because if I have one bite, I "fail" and then have sweet-snacks all day. I'll try it for tomorrow.
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:57 pm

Alrighty! My habitcal since Dec. 11th is all red except s days of course and my wieght loss calendar has gone up the entire month also! I baked and baked, then went on a vacation where I only snacked! I'm beginning anew NOW for the new year. I've gained back 11 of the 15 I lost before. At least I know how to loose it...I want to be down 20 by spring at least!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:41 pm

O.K. now that the family is off and running and my schedule is back to normal... I'm starting anew. I walked at the Y today and I'm waitng for meal time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm starting all over.

Are you with me "pleasework"? I know you have too much going on in your life right now. We're praying for your mom and the family! Let me know when you're ready!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:39 pm

I've noticed that the more green days on my habitcal for the week, the more green weeks for weight loss...and the more red...red for weight gain. This obviously works. I just need to... I was going to say focus, but that's not even it. You don't have to think on the no s diet... you just wait. I used to eat this way and I know that my skinny ancestors ate this way too.

I'm on my third green day in a row
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:39 pm

doin' great and loosin'
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:12 am

All of these snow days make me eat! If the kids are around, it's like a weekend and I eat!!!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:35 pm

WAY too many snow days off of school! I end up eating when the kids are home!!! HELP!
Please pray for me

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:51 pm

Well if you must eat, why not involve them and all make some kind of nourishing and enjoyable meal.
Are they old enough to help you prep the food?
You could always make fresh bread or something and a big pot of home made soup...
I go nuts being inside, and often turn to food if bored, stressed and sad.. all of that happens in Winter for me..But honestly Rene, if you just keep trying and make sure your meals are good and satisfying, you will get back on habit.
At worst, add a fourth small meal.
Coffee and tea help too, for me at least.
Let's pray for Spring to come early!!!!!
LOL
Love
Debs
:wink:
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:27 pm

I've noticed that since I started, I haven't even done a full 5 days in the week green!!! I lost probably 15 pounds during October and November and gained it ALL in December. Instead of feeling down, I'm telling myself... "at least I have 11 months to loose before December comes again!"

I have been reading a ton of new years dieting articles and I've come to this conclusion:

1. If you're a food addict, you need to avoid diets that make you think MORE about food.
2. The first 4 days are the hardest, so get past that herdle, then if you make it a month... it's a habit!!!
3.The brain needs to replace 1 habit with annother, so they recommend a similar habit.. Ex. smell a rose instead of smoking? (arm to face action, and a smell to breathe in) and I think that I'll replace drinking tea for munching. It worked last night and this morning while cooking for the family. I was WAY less tempted to munch when sipping tea!

I'm going for my first perfect week... I'm positive that I'll loose because I always do when I follow this!

Say a prayer for me!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:22 pm

I HAVE been doing this, I just have no computer time lately. Day 7 in a row green (thanks to the weekends!) I have a renewed mentality due to the new month. Also, our anniversary and Valentines day is in Feb. Good incentive to loose. :wink:
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:10 pm

Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:22 pm

After loosing 15lb. in October and November, then gaining it all back in December... January and February were kinda on hold months. I kept tracking and discovered that the end of the weeks are the worst. Pizza every Friday set me off the track for sure! SO - now I've givin up all pizza for lent and set specific goals to meet with exact goal dates and weights and I'm motivated! I'm also setting out 3 dishes (bowl, small lunch plate, and a dinner plate) in the morning to have my meals on. The visual is great for me because I HAVE TO wait and eat on one of those instead of snacking and snitching. I have to save the plates for the meals or run out and then I can't have supper. I'm also not worrying about the sweets thing... I don't usually have a problem with that and I say that if I want it and it fits on my plate... so be it. I need to get back into the groove of coming online for support and ideas. please leave your comments... I get motivated every time!!! And thanks!!
Please pray for me

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:22 pm

Reneew,

I feel your pain! I absolutely adore PIZZA and I can eat and eat and eat it. Good luck with lent. Know that I am there with ya! :P
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!!!

The only way to achieve something important that has been out of your reach is to become more assertive. It'll take stong motivation on your part to bodly go where you need to go

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:38 pm

I can't believe that I was on page 2!!! I've been slacking and it shows! When I don't come on here to be held accountable...I gain! So, yea, the weight's up. I'm going to do a green April and I'm starting today (2 days early) Spring is almost here and I need to do this!!!

:wink:
Please pray for me

~reneew

What an eye opener!!!

Post by ~reneew » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:07 pm

Monday I issued a challenge to be green for the whole month of April. So yesterday, my last day of March, I thought I'd allow myself a couple innocent bites... Then last night when I stepped on the scale and saw that it actually went up a tad, I was mad! I thought that this diet isn't working even when I resist SO hard and have a 'good' day! Then after a while of slam-talking myself a voice inside said "well...you did snitch a bit!" So I decided to think hard and tally them up...then count the calories for my few bites. I was blown away!!! I thought I'd share. Keep in mind that I actually, honestly thought I had an N day!!!

280 cal. - 4 spoons of frosting while doing a cake for a potluck.
440 cal. - 3 distracted minutes of baked potato chips while packing lunch for my son.
560 cal. - 2 rhubarb oatmeal bars that weren't really that sweet - right?(I was on the run!)
125 cal. - snitched 1/2 C. chili to be sure the seasoning was right. (That would explain all of the spoons in the sink!)
180 cal. - snitched about a cup of coleslaw for the same reason(forks in the sink)
430 cal. - half seconds on supper (only halfs!!!!)
-----------
2015 total snitched calories yesterday! And I thougth it was an N day!!!

:oops:

WOW! And I am not exagerating one bit! These are the best estimates that I could come up with because when I snitch I am only 1/4th aware that I'm doing it!!!

:roll:

Well here goes April!!! No snitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please pray for me

la_loser

Good job!

Post by la_loser » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:01 pm

An impressive post--and I'm sure it will prove to be an eye-opener for many of us. . . And I know what you mean about automatic eating. . . there are still times that I will look down and say to myself "how did that get in my hand!"

Good job on that self-monitoring!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:00 pm

Yes, those extra bites add up ... imagine if you had cut down on those, even slightly ... it's hard sometimes to resist, especially when other people prepare the food. The other day I was at my mom's and she brings me this huge piece of cake with cream already all over it. It was soaking in cream. I didn't even want the cake by itself, imagine with all that cream over it.

I was whining about it cos' I only wanted a small portion of cake and no cream on it, u see. Other people make it harder, always offering you food that you're not supposed to have. The other day I was thinking if I lived in a small cabin somewhere up north, way out there, no visitors, etc. I would have had total control over everything and I would have lost even more weight by now.
51 pounds in 5 months, it could have been 60 or more with a totally controlled environment, which is impossible to achieve ... but anyway ! I would have gone crazy probably, 75 pounds in 5 months, something like that, with total control on the food and the exercise, without any temptations in sight.

I was thinking my mom was trying to sabotage my weight loss on purpose. Always trying to get me to eat huge pieces of cakes and whatnot ... grrr ! ;-)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:05 pm

Good luck Rene!
Just put your food on a plate and don't snack.
Even if you have the chips and chili and call them a meal, that's better than unconsciously stuffing snacks in.
Congratulations for breaking the cycle of denial.
No matter how "cute" that word "snitch" or any other for that matter (ie: "fudge", "sneak", etc....) it's snacking.
So just keep a very watchful eye for that one.
I *bet* once you tackle that one, you will do great!
8) Debs x

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Oh, btw, do you keep a Habit Cal for NoS?
That is the best tool I have found for keeping myself honest.
This morning btw, I ate three small bites of leftover birthday cake that was in the freezer..
Even though I had a perfect day on NoS till then for Tuesday, I decided to mark it as a failure because of those little bites.
I almost talked myself out of it, thinking I'd be happier if I just "let it pass" and moved on and leave the day green.. but I am actually quite happy I "owned up" to myself.
You will feel really good for taking a realistic look at your habits because then you can actually do something about them.
The vicious cycle of denial will come crashing down, and you move forward with a clear conscience and a good attitude.
8) Debs

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:38 pm

yep, I've done a habitcal everyday since I started. If I didn't actually come on here to punch in the green, I later colored it red. My habitcal for the last 6 months has been very colorful. Now it will be green and yellow!!
Please pray for me

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:50 pm

Marc, in those situations, why not take a couple of bites to be polite, then set it aside and keep chatting and sipping your coffee or whatever? I bet her feelings wouldn't be hurt, as long as you aren't outright rejecting her offering.
The other day I was thinking if I lived in a small cabin somewhere up north, way out there, no visitors, etc. I would have had total control over everything and I would have lost even more weight by now.
I think if the trade-off becomes "I can either be around other people and have a rich and pleasurable life, or I can have total control and lose weight very fast" -- then losing the weight is simply not as important as having a life with love and friendship and meaningful connections, right? That's why I like No S -- it doesn't force me to choose between staying fat or being a hermit, walled up in a fortress with my perfectly controlled food supply! It's not the fastest way to lose weight, for sure, but I can keep doing it forever and not give up any of things that make life more worth living.
No matter how "cute" that word "snitch" or any other for that matter (ie: "fudge", "sneak", etc....) it's snacking.
Deb, that was a fantastic post! Yep, it's snacking -- and in this case, sometimes snacking on sweets. Eating standing up in the kitchen doesn't make it less of a snack -- it makes it worse, because you're fooling yourself into thinking it's not real. If you sit down and eat it on a plate, at least you know what you're doing, and you'll probably enjoy it more into the bargain.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:09 pm

Thanks Thalia!

Well Rene! Hopefully both our HabitCal's will be less patchwork looking for this month!
I will post my results on Success and Failures on my own thread weekly as part of your challenge!
8) Debs

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:21 pm

"Marc, in those situations, why not take a couple of bites to be polite, then set it aside and keep chatting and sipping your coffee or whatever? I bet her feelings wouldn't be hurt, as long as you aren't outright rejecting her offering."

********** Good point, you are very wise ! Many times my mom would serve me a big piece of cake and then she says ... "Well, you don't have to eat it all ..." ... or she makes grilled chicken with the skin on and says : "You don't have to eat the skin..." Sure, but it's hard, once it's right on your plate. Grilled chicken skin, I can't resist that, when it's all crispy, you know !! ;-) That's why I prefer not to have the big piece of cake or grilled chicken skin on my plate in the first place, u see. I think in the future I'll cut the piece of cake I want myself, this way I can control the portion I have better.

"I think if the trade-off becomes "I can either be around other people and have a rich and pleasurable life, or I can have total control and lose weight very fast" -- then losing the weight is simply not as important as having a life with love and friendship and meaningful connections, right? That's why I like No S -- it doesn't force me to choose between staying fat or being a hermit, walled up in a fortress with my perfectly controlled food supply! It's not the fastest way to lose weight, for sure, but I can keep doing it forever and not give up any of things that make life more worth living."

********** You are correct of course, very wise. I was just venting cos' it's frustrating when you try to be good all week and then when it's time for sunday dinner with the family, the whole week is ruined in 15 minutes due to excessive rich food being there (Well, maybe not ruined ... but a set back, takes me days to get back to where I was in the first place before the big sunday dinner...) In the end I'm still the one eating the food of course, but if I lived in a remote cabin up north, the temptations wouldn't be there, that's what I meant.
;-) - Marc

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:51 pm

As far as the moving away and being a hermit goes... hmmm, I've thought of that! Have you ever duct-taped your mouth shut? I have. :roll: . Still green...
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:35 pm

still green today and tomorrow is an S day. WOO hoo!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:35 pm

Friday was hard! I gave up pizza for lent and I made lasagna instead of my every Friday pizza. I had to bring it to my son in the car and put up with the smell for a half an hour! It smelled exactly like Godfather's combo (my favorite food) but I lived to tell about it. I didn't think I would!!! Great Successful awesome green day!!!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:15 pm

My s days blow my n days! I'm on a weekly rollercoaster. If there were no weekends, I'd be thin! I need to read the mods for this to see how others do on just 1 s day. If Saturday was the only s day, there'd be less damage! I still call it yellow, therefore my month still has no red :wink:
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:56 pm

Green so far this month (no red anyway). I've been reading back over my daily check-ins from last October when I lost 15 or so , then gained it back over Dec. I know that when I do it, it isn't painful, it seems natural and when I get into the swing of it, it isn't even hard. Remember that 3 days is the hardest, so keep it up on the weekend and just plan in 2 excused slips on the s days, so then when Monday rolls around it isn't like starting over, just continuing! I haven't done an entire monday through Friday green yet, so this is my week!!!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm doing great. When you get on a roll it gets easier. I'm kickin' my snack habit. I haven't gone a whole week m-f green yet, this april challenge I issued helps!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:07 pm

I've changed the name of this 'check in' to just have my name on it... "please work", if you come back, let me know.
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:19 pm

Been doin' good, but the kids have no school for 5 days for Easter and I bake and eat way too much when they are home. This morning I made an army load of waffles... Hmmm... I haven't even gotten to the holoday! Can I count Maunday Thursday, good Friday, Easter saturday AND Easter?????????????????????? I better not count on it. I'm still green. :P
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:34 pm

I am still green! I can't believe it! One more day and I will have made my first full week green AND be on a 10 day straight streak!!!!!! WooHooo!!
Please pray for me

woods38

Post by woods38 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:48 pm

Yea for you! Look at you go! Stay strong!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:36 pm

I did my first ever Mon- Fri green week and I'm on my longest green streak ever...10 days so far!
Please pray for me

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:33 am

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Way to go Rene!!!!!!!! :wink:
I'm so glad to see you on a success streak!!!
Keep it up!!!!!
Love,
8) Debs xx :D

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:32 pm

I made it through the weekend with less than average damage because I followed Debs suggestion and limited my S es. It was Easter and food was all around and I feel that I dun good. :wink:

Still green!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:21 pm

I made it through lent with out any pizza and called Easter Monday an S day... I shouldn't have done the pizza buffet, but yum! I still am feeling the buffet hangover... and I don't think I'll be hungry for a while!! :oops: I need to drink more water! I do better when I do, and I feel better. ..That's it... I'll drink some weight away! Also, I hate my scale...and I asked Reinhard how often I should weigh myself. We'll see what he says...
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:09 pm

I have officially made it through half a month all green!!! I can't believe it! I'm doin' my best, absolutely no cheating and I do microbites on S days. It's getting easier too! Last night when I was really craving something salty and crunchy, I said "I REALLY want popcorn!!!" My son said "You can't, you'll have to tell everyone on the internet!" That stopped me in my tracks. I have 4 little referees watching me!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:59 pm

My daughter's 16th birthday is today and I feel old! :? I can't have any chocolate (total caffeine intollerance) so I'm lucky she chose chocolate cake with chocolate frosting! Still green this month. I feel like my temptations are just as frequent, but less difficult. I'm breaking the habit, but I do know that it's very easy to put it together again.
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:38 pm

Aaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! I blew it! Red day yesterday. I did 15 days straight green , then blew it! It wasn't even anything good, just a couple of meatballs making spaghetti. I was PMSing and caved to temptation like a spineless wimp! It would have even fit on my plate. Of course I keep trying to tell myself that... I'm a cheater and that's such a small one. :roll: If I give an inch, I 'll go a mile! So... red day yesterday. :cry: My son isn't helping anymore. He's a teen and thinks it's funny. He keeps saying "want some?... Oh, that's right, you CAN'T!" So Funny :evil: The good part is that I recovered and didn't snack even when they made extra butter microwave popcorn. My ultimate snack.
I know I could've/would've let it slide, but my cheater self needs strict no S and I snacked. There goes the 21 day club. Now I'm trying to make it a 1 red day month. I first thought that I'd wait until May and do a May challenge, but I need to stay on track.

I'm now down 13 since the new year. Woo hoo!
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:34 pm

... therefore Friday was a red day. I lost my steam... but I'm starting over today and going for the 21 day club.
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:38 pm

green day 1 yesterday

It's Tuesday and I've started tracking my exercise on habitcal. I color a day yellow for 15 minutes and Green for 30 or more. I used to write it on a calendar, so I've written them on my habit cal. I need a bit more accountability. Since I'm not weighing myself until Friday, I feel like I might be gaining. I think that I'll give it a week. It's really hard to not weigh. I also occasionally feel so frustrated with the speed of loss that I think about skipping meals. I know in the long run I'll have more, so I remind myself that slow and steady wins the race. I'd rather be a rabbit!

I think that the whole deal is that I'm a 'do'er person. I like to do something about it. It's the lack of doing something I have a hard time with. Waiting for time for lunch etc. The wait is hard. I don't do well in the patient category... I can exercise... I can drink water... help. What else can I 'DO'?

Ideas anyone?
Please pray for me

Daisy73

Post by Daisy73 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Play with your kids, clean out a closet, look at clothes you used to love that don't fit right now, do your nails, call a friend, brush your teeth, clean house, etc. Whatever it takes to focus on something besides food/dieting.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:41 pm

A manicure is a great idea - -it's fun, it makes you feel pretty, and you definitely can't eat for a while!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:13 pm

Wow! Just when you think that nobody is ever reading this! I just got an acountability boost!

Thanks... any other ideas?
Please pray for me

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:19 pm

Well, I listen to Bollywood music and dance around the kitchen, but that might not work for everyone. :oops:

Other stuff I like -- window-shopping (exercise! And consumerism! Combined!), bubble bath, bike ride, needlework, bread baking (keeps you occupied, makes the house smell amazing, and you aren't tempted to eat it until hours later, hopefully timed for dinner), go to the library (you can't eat there, and for me it's a mental candy store). If you're bored and want to eat because of it, getting out of the house is always a good idea.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:18 pm

I'm on day 6 green of taking 2 red days off. I'm going for the 21 day club! I do have to say that the skipping snacking and sweets is getting easier. The snacking is still a huge temptation because I'd just snack if it was there. Now I think 'Wait a while and have it at supper". I sometimes plan chips and a lot of junk to have on my dinner plate, but when the time comes to eat the junk at a meal, I just get the real food. Hmmm.. didn't I read something about that in Reinhard's book? I should re-read it, it's been 6 months and I have a short memory :roll:
Please pray for me

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:25 pm

Same with me. I'll think that I'd love some spicy peanuts and will save them for a meal and then change my mind and go for zucchini instead! How weird it that!

Also, at the grocery store I saw they had red hot chips on sale, which I love, especially with lime juice (i've been known to eat the whole bag at one sitting). I was going to buy a bag right then and there to save for the weekend. Then I decided to wait for the weekend and see. And then I forgot all about them, so that was that!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:53 pm

Yea, I just need to not have snacks on hand. They have little voices that call me!

Yesterday I developed a migrane... I'd get it under control, then bad again... then better etc. So I ended up eating some comfort snacks at my pitty party. So then this morning, I think "I'm not on a streak anymore because I blew yesterday and it's Friday, tough day anyway, so you might as well eat that monster cookie!" Duh, what's with that?

So anyway... I've read the posts about eating breakfast and have heard that around the world people tipically have tiny breakfasts. I've also heard that most overweight people don't eat breakfast and that most thin do... I've thought it didn't matter for me because my thyroid is messed up anyway (hypothyroidism) so it didn't matter. Maybe I was wrong and it's not the metabolism thing.

I'm goin to try eating a tiny breakfast (1 toast and juice) to see what happens. I'm going to actually follow No S. Imagine that!

Annother edit after thinking... (my Dad always says that's the problem...thinking) I've been studying my habitcal for faiures and my exercise for a trend and here it goes...
I generally exercise and have more successful days on Monday and it goes down hill from there. I'll use that to tell myself that I had better do well early in the week because it gets worse, and later in the week I'll want to break my trend. :wink:

yet annother edit... I did the weight commander chart and love it!
Please pray for me

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:55 pm

Me too! Hope it motivates us to stay focused! :D

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:01 pm

I posted to see how often everyone weighs themselves and decided to only weigh once a week on Friday mornings. I did and gained while not looking at it... Hmmm. So, I've decided to weigh daily (once) and only write it down on Friday morning. I am down 11 from New years, and I know this works when I do it and I know that it's the easiest diet out there and that I can do it forever... so just DO IT!!!
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:13 pm

So, after much self-evaluation.. my plan: Strict No S. If I'm not feeling up to breakfast (usually not), then skip it. Lunch on a 'lunch plate' and supper on the regular dinner plate. Aim for 8 waters a day, minimum of 1 hour of exercise a week, no sweets or seconds and STOP SNITCHING PREPARING AND CLEANING UP SUPPER!!! I seem to go all out on my S-travaganza weekends, so I plan to follow no S, but add 1 desert after my suppers and allow for 1 snack a day. That's easy to remember... 1 sweet, 1 snack, and 1 second on the S days. Lets go :arrow:
Please pray for me

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:30 pm

Feelin' good. Day 5 green. Only 3 green days this month. After reading about all of these people doing all perfect green months, month after month, I'm motivated! This has been the best month so far. I think that if I wouldn't have had that 1 meatball I'd have been green all month. It snowballed into the 3 days red. I need an emergency escape plan for when I'm on the brink of disaster. Maybe I could pop in a jolly rancher... they're so sticky that you can't chew (or loose a filling) and they will last during the whole meal-prep time. Yea, that's a plan. I'm ready for May! :!:
Please pray for me

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:40 pm

Or else some sugarless gum. There are so many new brands and fruity flavors!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:19 pm

I clench my teeth at night and have jaw pain... so I can't. That used to work for me though. Sugar free hard candy works for a bit, but I bite it and have to eat more and more. My Dad always chews on a toothpick... yucky splinters...any other ideas?
Please pray for me