anti-barbells and fulcrum bells...the old timers Shovelglove

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
oldfox

anti-barbells and fulcrum bells...the old timers Shovelglove

Post by oldfox » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:59 pm

Not sure if you guys have seen this before. A large man named George Jowett apparently was big on leverage exercises too. Looking up Edward Aston with his anti-barbell, I found Jowett's Fulcrum-bell. He looks to be from the same era. This page actually shows drawings of the movements. Maybe we can come up with some additional "chores" we can base on them to make them into tool moves. :wink:

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition ... wextra.htm

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:14 pm

Hey Foxy!
Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!
Thanks for those diagrams!
Yeah, George Jowett was so hardcore! I think when he was little his father used to drop anvils over his head in the crib, so he started early!

My fave is exercise 8 position #2.... But sorry, I can't think of any daily movements it replicates! LOL....
Also, I love the detail in the pictures, which shows the weird leather laced workout shoes of the time... I guess there wasn't any Nike Air back then!
Have fun up in the highlands (is Cornwall Northern country?)
Have a good day/evening!
8) Deb

oldfox

Post by oldfox » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:55 am

Greets Deb,

To answer you, nope Cornwall is southwest in fact the most south and west of the island. But it sort of like the image you may have in mind. It is craggy and windswept and has cliffs and beaches and so on. Very pretty place. I'm actually an American though the wife is from here.

Yeah those shoes are sort of Roman looking to me but are not the most outrageous muscle man garb I have seen. Tarzan getups were pretty popular too back in the day. :) Then you have the guys posing with clubs etc.

Amazing how what looks good changes so much over the years.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:11 am

Oldfox,

Thanks for posting this. No, I hadn't seen it. A few things strike me:

1) this really is similar to shovelglove. I'm continually amazed by how much precedent there is for this crazy idea. I thought when I first posted the site I'd have chiropracters sending me desperate emails "stop! this is murder!" or "thanks, keep up the good work! My practice has never been busier."

2) Maybe it's just the drawings, but the movements look wierd and unnatural. They seem to be missing the labor metaphor which I think is so critical for shovelglove.

3) Man, you can get strong doing this...

4) What an awesome sig this guy had!

Yours for Lordly Strength like the Oak,

Reinhard

Gman

Post by Gman » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:01 am

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:38 am

Hi Gman.. thanks that was cool..
See Reinhard! Now all you have to do is take the sweater off your sixteen pounder, go and get a job at a quarry, smash granite for 18 hours a day, and you will be at Madison Square Garden in no time...
Now...All you have to do is pick up a 56 pound sledge from the very end and your set!
No problem!
LOL...

That guy had unbelievable arms! Plus you can really see how his core is totally cinched in... He had the power from his middle...

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Gman

Post by Gman » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:25 pm

I've got that DVD on order should be here soon..I'll let you know what it's like.

Kevin

Gman

Post by Kevin » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:59 pm

Thanks for the link... let me know how the DVD is.

What did we do before the internet?
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."