Explosiveness! Punches and Spear Thrusts VIDEO

Here you'll find a discussion thread for each of the canonical and major non-canonical shovelglove moves. If you have questions or comments about any of these moves, just update the existing discussion for it. If you have a new move, add a new discussion (preferably with the name of your new move in the title). Ideally there will be just one discussion thread per move that everyone adds to, but it's no tragedy if a little bit of redundancy creeps in.
phayze

Explosiveness! Punches and Spear Thrusts VIDEO

Post by phayze » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:26 am

ZOMG, Phayze finally got off his kiester and made a new video!!! o_O

I know it's a long one, but if you're interested in trying these things, make sure to stay for the disclaimer at the end - There are special guests in it. ^_-
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:42 pm

Wow, Phayze! When you get off your kiester, you really get it done! Great moves on the video -- will be adding punches (and maybe upper-cuts, too) to my SG workout. Great explanation and visual of using your whole body to drive the punch. And your tips at the end are excellent. I won't spoil the special guests surprise for others by mentioning it here, but I was getting very worried that one of them wouldn't appear until the Grand Finale came on screen -- bravo! Thanks so much for the video and the moves -- much appreciated !!! (BTW, your "pump water" move is still a favorite part of my SG routine).

jules

Post by jules » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:28 pm

Great video! I checked out some of the others you'd done as well. You've definitely come up with some nice variations.

Perhaps a shovelglove hall of fame is in order?!?

jules

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:17 pm

I think this may be your best one yet -- special guests, subtitles, an amusing disclaimer, and the "answer to that age old shovelglove question: what about my legs?" And the moves really look like they kick ass.

It's funny, I've occasionally done "shadow boxing" with dumbbells on freestyle fridays, but it hadn't occurred to me to just use my sledge. A way purer shovelglove experience!

And now that there's a "whole village" in Thailand doing shovelglove, I wouldn't be surprised if it re-emerges after a hundred years or so as an authentic martial art. :-)

Movement page link pending... think I'll add a link from the "stoke oven" page as well.

Thanks again!

Reinhard

phayze

Post by phayze » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:50 am

Thanks everyone! I'm always glad to hear that my little experiments are interesting to people other than me. ^_^

Winnie: When I realized Tux was sitting on me during the disclaimer I thought of you and decided to hold him up for the camera. ^_-

Jules: I'm glad you like my work, but "Hall of Fame" is going a bit far. I'm just another SG-Enthusiast with an iSight and some free time.

Reinhard: Yeah, this one was really a total package! I think it's my longest one, so I kind of worried that it might be too wordy. Integrating the Legs Dilemma was a major reason that I didn't make this video sooner - I wanted to feel like I knew what I was talking about when I actually got in front of the camera, so I've been experimenting with full-body explosiveness in pretty much all of my workouts to get the feel for what I was talking about.

I'm loving the Thai Village thing (I haven't gotten around to commenting on that thread yet). Even if it doesn't get absorbed into the local fighting style, it's a hell of a good way to harden up for a fight.

Oh, and yes. These moves are totally bad ass, and they make you feel like finding that Tae Bo guy so you can show him a real man works out. ^_-

Thanks for the linkage! As always, I really appreciate having my vids where people can learn from them.
1 Picture = 1,000 words

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:23 pm

phayze wrote:... I kind of worried that it might be too wordy.
Au contraire ... I'm glad you took the time to so carefully explain the use of the legs in these moves. I know I would have ended up throwing the punch using just my arms, when getting the whole body involved is so much more invigorating and fun. I liked the "coiled spring" image. And, your comments at the end about not banging the joints, going out to maybe 95%, are very useful for those of us who often need to be walked back from the cliff of over-extension.
phayze wrote:Oh, and yes. These moves are totally bad ass, and they make you feel like finding that Tae Bo guy so you can show him a real man works out.
Or woman! I spent a bit of time yesterday singing along with the video, then added in punches and upper-cuts to my workout - talk about energizing and powerful! I do shovel-churn-drive posts-flip lever, then inserted these moves, which really pumped up the rest of my moves. They're an especially nice lead in to ab killers. Bad ass, indeed - woof!

It was nice to meet Spot (I'm sure she loves her summer cut!), and thank you so much for including Tux -- he sure is a handsome guy -- it's very reassuring to know that he would hate it if I hurt myself!

Now I'm afraid I've been too wordy ... but did want you to know that I, at least, think your level of detail was just right for these type of moves. Thanks again, Winnie

phayze

Post by phayze » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:25 am

Many apologies on the gender-equality thing. I have some bad linguistic habits that I can't seem to get past. ^_-

Glad to hear that you're having fun with it!
1 Picture = 1,000 words

chiangmaiboss

Post by chiangmaiboss » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:47 am

I would like to see Phayze video but my computer will not play it. I have stop doing the shovel routines recently as I am doing so much planting lately I shovel enough with that. I do the other exercises though. You will be happy to hear that now two villages are doing the shovelglove because Marisas mother went home to Nakhon Sawan and showed people there how to do it. Plus these Burmese ladies here are doing it but dont even need to wrap something around hammerhead because they have dirt floor and hammer wont hurt it. I really dont understand why they are because frankly they work construction and get exercise all day long, but they do this for fun I guess. The most important thing in Thailand is sanuk which means like fun and it is important to make everything fun including work and the shovelglove is fun.I believe it is so popular because I have lost a lot of weight which to be honest is not just from shovelglove but also from work and gym. However people see me doing shovelglove and attribute my weight loss to that. Also they believe whatever farangs, which they call us westerners, do is a good idea. Not always true but in the case of the shovelglove I believe it is. Sorry for big long message but I am sitting here waiting for load of topsail and have too much time on my hands.
Chiang Mai and Nakhon Sawan, Thailand

david

Post by david » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:20 pm

There are some good ideas in the video. Here is some unsolicited advice: avoid dropping your chin as you do the movements...also avoid hunching your shoulders up in to your ears. If you improve these postural elements you'll have cleaner power transmission and it's less likely you'll get injured.

--david

phayze

Post by phayze » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:52 am

chiangmaiboss wrote:I would like to see Phayze video but my computer will not play it.
Hm, I'm sorry that you're having trouble with the vids. I'm not sure what would cause a thing like that - youtube is usually very accessable. It might have something to do with your internet connection speed. Eitherway, I'm glad to hear that SG is spreading across Thailand. Give it a few years, and it'll become the new national past-time at this pace. ^__^

David: Thanks for the advice! I didn't realize that I was doing those things, but I'll definitely try to me more mindful of them in the future.
1 Picture = 1,000 words

zenboar

Post by zenboar » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:04 am

There's a couple of other elements you could add into the spear thrusts. One would be to mix it up with high, medium, and low thrusts. Another is you could you combine a lunge and a thrust, like you're dropping low to thrust up under an opponent's shield. Not a really combat-efficient move since you're committing a lot of weight into the lunge, but this is exercise we're talking about.