New here Hi

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Gman

New here Hi

Post by Gman » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:11 pm

Hi Been lurking a week, I spotted shovelglove about 6 months ago and did it a few times,but I am here too stay now.Been on The Nos diet for 5 days now and shovelglove 3 times this week,I need to lose about 10lbs.
Just a question how do you include fruit in the diet is it always after the main meals, cannot wait untill tomorrow so I can reward myself with a bar of choccie.

spiralstares

Post by spiralstares » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:12 pm

I believe the doctrine of No-S would dictate that if you want fruit it should be included as part of your breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

From the No-S page...

What about healthy snacks?

Eat healthy meals. If you know you have just three, you'll make them count. I'm perfectly aware that an orange between meals is not going kill you, that, taken in itself, it's perfectly healthy. But the idea is to have the orange instead of, not in addition to, and in justification of, some unhealthy part of your meal. The problem is primarily one of self-discipline, and if you start making all kinds of exceptions, you'll fail.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:48 pm

Personally, I modified the rules to suit me a bit better and allow myself up to 2 servings of fruit a day in addition to my 3 meals. Generally I eat none or one only, and usually I 'virtually plate' them with my breakfast or lunch anyway.

The official version (like Spiral said) is to include it in your healthy meals. If you don't want to eat it with the other stuff on the same plate (apples in gravy isn't really the best combo in the world!) then leave a space on the plate big enough for the apple (or other fruit) to balance on and keep it separate that way.

As long as you decide in advance what the rules mean to you, knowing what is sensible and achievable and then stick to your version of these rules, you can't go wrong.

Have fun!
C.
CaroleJo

Gman

Post by Gman » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:59 am

Hi Carol
What can I say but respect (10lb shovelglove)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:11 am

Carolejo is one respect worthy chick alright!

Gman... You will shed your ten pounds with no problem at all!
Enjoy making NoS your new way of eating...

I almost always virtually plate my fruit, or it represents my whole meal...
This morning my meal was an apple and coffee..

For dinner I decided to have a bowl of cereal with strawberries mixed in.
In that case it was alright to mix the fruit in, but yeah, bananas and "gravy" usually don't make the best combination, so it's fine to just use the "virtual fruit" rule..
Just leave a little space where it *would* have gone on the plate.

Good luck with your goal!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:15 am

Thanks *blush*.

I can't do more than about 7 or 8 minutes with the 10 pounder though! Got some more working up to do with that one.

Tis a good exercise program - I like anything where you can vary the load so much and so easily to make it comfortable for you. Depending on where you hold the Sledge handle, you can make the exercises really tough or a little easier (of course, I'm still hanging on to it right near the head end most of the time for a minimal lever effect :lol:

Hope you get your own set of NoS rules set up and running for you, Gman. Best of luck and enjoy the journey!
CaroleJo

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:28 pm

Welcome, Gman. I eat fruit with my meals. It keeps the rest of the meals smaller, and keeps the habit of only eating at meal times.

A trick I've occasionally resorted to and others here have used profitably is "virtual plating" fruits. In other words, if you're going to have fruit before or after a meal, leave a conspicuous place for it on your plate. That way you're not using the fruit to justify some excessive and/or unhealthy part of your meal.

But I would try strict "mealing" before resorting to virtual plates. It's cleaner, less vulnerable to abuse, and will build the habit better.

Gman

Post by Gman » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:55 pm

Thanks reinhard.
You really have some good ideas,I thought my diet was pretty good already but I think I must let myself down with snacks (before nos)
I am now below 13 stone for the first time in about 2 years after just over a week on the diet with SG and 15 mins or so extra walking a day.

Azathoth

Post by Azathoth » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:56 pm

Keep up the good work, Gman. I'm new to this myself and attempting to take off the excess weight I've gained during and since college and the combination of the three everyday systems seems to be just what the doctor ordered. I'm walking more, driving less, and doing shovelglove in the morning. Instead of dreading workouts or worrying about being hungry all the time I've found that I'm excited to get up and toil with my sledge and my body is always satisfied because I plan good, healthy, single plate meals and have found giving up snacking to be easier than I thought.

One thing I might mention that has helped me in the past few weeks (even before I discovered the No-S diet, I was beginning to cut out snacks): Drink LOTS of water. I'm drinking a minimum of 144 fluid ounces per day (more if I can). Water is exactly what your body needs and drinking more of it will only help with your weight loss. Studies show that an active person should be drinking 1/2 to 2/3 times their weight (in pounds) in fluid ounces of water. In other words, if you weight 150 pounds and are active you should drink 75 to 100 ounces of water daily.

Of course this is just a rule of thumb, but by drinking more water you will fill your stomach up (so you'll think less about snacking), you'll take more trips to the water cooler/sink (good to be up and moving periodically), you'll take far more trips to the bathroom (especially when you first start drinking more water, your body will adjust after a week or so and you won't have to go nearly as often), and most importantly drinking a good amount of water helps keep your metabolism up, which is what you need to be losing weight. My policy is: If I feel like I need a snack, I drink a large glass of water.

Hope any of this helps you out a bit, it has helped me the past 2 weeks and I'm already down 6 pounds (only 39 more to go). Good luck!

LALA

JUST STARTED

Post by LALA » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:02 am

I will be starting tomorrow, but I am a little confused can I eat anything I want as long as it is not sweets? and only theree meals per day? :o

snazzybabe

Re: JUST STARTED

Post by snazzybabe » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:11 am

LALA wrote:I will be starting tomorrow, but I am a little confused can I eat anything I want as long as it is not sweets? and only theree meals per day? :o
Yes you can eat everything as long as it is not sweets, junk food etc. 3 good portion sizes. On the S days you can then have some snacks.