S Day Examples

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sinnie

S Day Examples

Post by Sinnie » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:49 am

I completely understand that S days you are allowed to let loose, but I tend to take it too far. I guess I just need some form of comparison.

Would you guys mind posting a typical S day, with rough portions?

Thanks a million :D

snazzybabe

Post by snazzybabe » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:55 am

Its all individual. You are allowed to have whatever you want. Trust yourself and give yourself permission to have the snacks. The first couple of times you might feel you've overdone it but gradually your snack days won't be so huge.

If you are really struggling try and have only really special snacks that you will enjoy the most. Don't just snack on anything in site just because it is snack day.

navin

Post by navin » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:37 am

Okay, hopefully my post will encourage you. From reading others' posts, I have the most flamboyant S-days of anyone here. In spite of that I've still lost 24 lbs over a 2-year period. Yeah, I'm sure I'd lose it quicker if I had a little more sensibility, but then again, it might make it harder to stick with the whole thing to begin with.

So here is my log for this weekend. Prepare to be shocked. :oops:

Saturday: breakfast of a banana smoothe and 4 Nanaimo bars (chocolate, lots of sugar, and some coconut)
Lunch was some leftover pasta.
Dinner was at a Chinese buffet. 1 full plate of food, 1 full plate of dessert (well, and an extra Crab Rangoon)

Sunday: cereal for breakfast.
Dairy Queen for lunch, including a small Blizzard
Snacks: several "fun-size" Kit-Kats and Milk Duds (my parents keep stuf like that stocked)
Dinner: Logan's Roadhouse - chicken sandwich plus a few rolls and a bunch of peanuts.
11:00 Snack/Dessert: "Dealth by Chocolate"

So there you go. My one redeeming factor is that my hockey league has started back up, and I played a game tonight. If hockey happens ona n S-day, I almost always have a post-hockey snack, which today was the death by chocolate.

So, there you go. Can't say I recommend this to everyone, but it is an example that if *most* days are good (the 5 N-days) you don't have to be as strict with yourself on the other two days.
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:37 am

Crab Rangoooooooooooooooooon....
LOL..
That sounds funny..

Wow Navin, you are full of S's!

I guess this plan really is the best around!

Here are the S's I had this weekend... Sat and Sunday combined..
One glass of lemonade, one 20 oz coke slurpee, 3/4 large brownie...
A (very lame) Entemanns fruit filled thingy, seconds of homemade chili (still in me now, Oy! Where's my antacid tabs??? Burp! LOL..)
about 4 oz of very lame soft chocolate ice cream cup from Carvel

(which used to be really really good when Tom Carvel, aka, "Fudgie the Whale", was still alive, but now I think is some kind of franchise and is owned by a very lovely Asian family who somehow totally ruined this really good classic soft ice cream...)

I gave the remainder to Richard.... What is s S world coming to when you don't want to finish ice cream??????!!!!!
Next week it will certainly be Haagen Daaz....
This was an excessive weekend for me, compared to most, as I usually have one good S day, and the next is usually pretty dessert free, but I guess the urge to sweet was there this week... Maybe the pms? LOL..
Navin, what's your excuse!? LOL....

See ya Cynthia! I too have lost fairly slowly, but that's fine with me... 20 lbs, roughly, in one year is just fine with me.... This year I hope to lose around the same!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:08 am

This weekend (in addition to the 3 'normal' platefuls of food I would usually eat) I ate the following additional things (in no particular order)

5 large pieces of homemade shortbread
4 bags of crisps (in the UK, 'chips' are what we call french fries. 'crisps' are what the Americans call 'chips'. Our crisps come in little bags with about 45 grams in each. I've no idea how many ounces that is though)
a fruit scone
100g bar of Green and Black's chocolate
2 Mars Bars
a large bowl of vanilla icecream
half a dozen toasted marshmallows
a second full portion of BBQ food on BOTH days.

So DON'T WORRY. Like Navin, my S days are generally pretty heavy. I let these 2 days be heavy so that the rest of the week doesn't have to be. Don't forget, I also ate 3 normal sized healthy meals in addition to the above 'Esses'.

I do feel bound to point out though that for me, I ACTUALLY USED TO EAT LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME before NoS came along. In fact sometimes I would even eat more than this. Again, perhaps I might lose more weight even quicker if I cut back, but as long as the weight is going in the right direction, I'm not in any hurry to get there. I've got the rest of my life to keep getting fitter and healthier and I'm aiming to be able to keep doing this for that long too. If I stopped eating so much stuff on weekends than pretty soon I'd get fed up and start eating 'junk' all the time again instead. Yes, I might do better in the short term, but this is a long term thing. So far I lost about 10lbs over the past 4 months. That's good enough for me.

C.
CaroleJo

Kevin

S days

Post by Kevin » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:28 pm

My S days are often as heavy as the ones listed here, with the addition of beer, which I usually don't drink much of during the week (even with meals).

The one rule I do try to stick to is not eating anything much after dinner. I don't sleep well on a full stomach anymore.

And, like Caroljo says, my S days are no worse than my previous every-days.

Caroljo, people in the States aren't completely metric-unaware, even if some of us would like to be. Our snack chip/crisp bags are typically weighed in a round number of grams, and an odd fraction of ounces (like 45 grams, 1 7/8 ounces).
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:47 pm

Thanks for letting me in on your S days. I wasn't sure if I was the only one who had more than one piece of chocolate! haha

Do you find that you gain a few pounds after two S days? I weighed myself this morning and I am at the highest weight I have ever been at. Was horribly depressing. But since I am starting over today I wanted to know what the starting weight was. I won't weigh in again until October 26 (exactly one month later).

How often do you guys weigh in?

Kevin

Cynthia, stop worrying

Post by Kevin » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:05 pm

You're worrying too much. If you want to mind your S days a little, go ahead; it might make you feel better. I did for the first two weeks. I had only seconds and allowed myself a beer with dinner.

The whole idea here is: don't worry about the small stuff. Eliminate snacking, sweets, and seconds, and you'll do fine.

I started in May at 197 pounds. I'm now at 175, and dropping. If you are going to weigh yourself frequently, do it at the same time every day. You weight can vary a lot in one day - I can vary 4 pounds.

And I invariably gain a pound or so every weekend. Then lose it. Then stop losing. Then plateau. Then go up a little... but month by month, I drop about 3 or 4 pounds. I'm sure this will cease when I hit a more ideal weight.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:23 pm

I think weight is like investing in shares - you've got to look at the long-term picture, not the daily fluctuations. So I make a point of only weighing myself once a week (on Saturday morning, before breakfast :). And then, whatever the changes may have been from day to day, I know that overall I have lost (say) a pound or a kilogram since last time I was on the scales. It's more encouraging and probably more accurate.

It's getting more long-term too. If I can't get to the scales on a Saturday (e.g. away for the weekend) then it can wait until the next week - which is (usually) a pleasant surprise.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:40 pm

Good analogy Silverfish!
Good attitude!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:14 am

I definitely agree that weight fluctuates a lot day to day! I probably should've made myself more clear by mentioning I rarely weigh myself - so it was a surprise to be up five pounds (btw, this is not due to NoS!). I only want to weigh in once a month - just wanted some comparisons as to what others do:)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:32 am

It's cool Cynthia! No need at all for any apologies, or being defensive! Your not overthinking this... I have to totally disagree with Kevin (sorry Kev's! LOL..)
You are a newbie, and it's totally normal to have lots of questions and concerns...
Your doing great!
Weighing once a month was pretty much what I did for most of this year... Only in the last two months or so, have I checked more often, but it's never more than once a week...
Love,
8) Deb

JWL

Post by JWL » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:12 am

I've been doing No-S long enough now that I find I just don't want to overeat like I used to. I mean, I relax the rules, but when I enjoy a treat, I really try to enjoy it (for me it's usually ice cream). But after a pint of ice cream I'm usually pretty stuffed. I can't cram it in like I used to.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:28 pm

So I have a pretty good indication now that everyone just relaxes and enjoys S days. One major reason that I love this board, and what draws me to it, is that I havent't really noticed anyone obsessed about weight loss - we just kinda let it happen as it may.

I have belonged to other weight loss boards and people were just too fanatical for me - weighing everyday, counting every morsel and so on. I couldnt stick with that...but this, this is awesome!

Have a great day y'all :D