Humble attempts at improvement

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Big Phil

Humble attempts at improvement

Post by Big Phil » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:04 am

Since we only have 14 minutes to play with, I have been trying to tweak some of the exercises to get as many muscles involved as possible. I have also added some squats and lunges as I don't want my lower body to miss out, but I wanted to do something for my calves as well. Instead of normal butter churns I put a book under my toes (about 3inch thick) and when I go up with the butter churn, I also raise up on my toes. It is easy and hits the calves pretty well while at the same timeworking your uper body with the butter churn. I call this "Pounding corn" after some African documentary I saw where the people were pounding corn in a earthenware bowl with a big wooden club. They would get the whole body involved, calves and legs included, in raising the club and pounding the grain.

The other variation I have come up with is a synthesis of the "flip the switch" and the Persian Meel exercise. I hold the shovelglove at the end but you can probably hold wherever you like. Start with it by your side as per the "flip the swith", then raise by curling your arm until the sledge is horizontal, then continue on and raise up the sledge over your head and behind you until the sledge is again horizontal behind you, as per the Persian Meel. Then return to the start position. I was surprised how much of a tricep pump I got out of this after I finished, I guess that goes to show how much extra force is generated with momentum! Both the bicep and tricep get worked at the same time in this exercise, as well as the forearm, back, abs and shoulders. If you try it, make sure you keep control on the way back down as that puppy can come down with shin-smashing ferocity! I was thinking of calling this "crack the whip" as it is similar to cracking a bullwhip or throwing something. The exercise as a whole has a nice rhythm and swinging feel, very natural feeling and very powerful. Hope someone out there enjoys it as much as I do.
See Ya,
Phil.

Kevin

Holy crap...

Post by Kevin » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:57 pm

... Phil, you do that move with how heavy a hammer?

When you say hold it at the end, do you mean the end with the metal, or the handle end? I don't think I could lever up my hammer from the extreme end of the handle. My forearms would fail. Maybe catastrophically. :0)
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

JWL

Post by JWL » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:42 pm

That 2nd one, the modified curl, looks very interesting. I'll have to give it a try, as "hoist the sack" doesn't really give me enough of a tricep workout.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:39 pm

Great name, and inspiration, "pounding corn."

You must have very high ceilings (or no ceilings) for "crack with whip!"

I'll give these both a shot tomorrow (if I can sort out the ceiling issue) along with the recently posted "paddle the canoe."

Thanks, Big Phil, keep tweaking and posting.

Big Phil

Crack the whip

Post by Big Phil » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:02 am

Hi Kevin,

I meant to hold the hammer at the extreme end of the handle - I only have a ten pounder at the moment. I have my eye on a sexy fourteen pounder with hickory handle at Bunnings but am minding Rein-Hard's admonition to not progress too quickly at the moment. If you are worried about "catastrophic failure" then just choke up a little, it shouldn't affect the dynamics at all. Alternatively, you could get much macho kudos for catastrophic wrist failure - "Extreme Shovelglove Injuries - Volume I!"

On the ceiling issue, the hammer doesn't really go that high as after it is vertical you pretty much rotate at the shoulder to put it behind your head. I do have 10 foot ceilings in the pool room where I workout though.
Have a good workout guys,

Phil.

Big Phil

Feedback

Post by Big Phil » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:02 am

Hi Guys,

Have you given these exercises a go? I was just wondering how you found them. I am quite happy that my calves have added some extra tone with the "Pounding corn" exercise.

Also, my urban rangering has been enhanced with the calf workout and especially the 3D lunges I am doing (to four points of the compass). Increased stride length can really improve your walking I have decided!

Phil

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:59 pm

Hi Phil,

Here's my full newish movement update:

Either you are terrifically strong, or I'm doing something wrong with "crack the whip" (I tried it again this morning). Hmmm. Reading your description over again, maybe "extreme end of the handle" refers to the extreme under the head? That could work... I'll give that a try tomorrow and let you know.

I tried "pound the corn" a few times and liked the calf burn, but had some coordination issues that made me feel like a bit of a doofus... also I need to identify a more suitable book (maybe "Learn outdated technology X in 21 days"). I used to be a preservation librarian... so I have some instinctive reservations to overcome. I'll definitely mess around with this some more.

I didn't get anywhere with paddle the boat (I don't think that's one you posted). For some reason it just feels too awkward. I can't convince myself that the movements I'm doing bear any resemblance to real paddling. I'm sure most of my movements are pretty far off the real thing, but I'm able to suspend disbelief. For some reason I can't with this one.

"Stir the cauldron" (posted by at least 2 different people) is a nice idea, and fun now and then, but it hasn't made it to my daily routine. I think the thing that bugs me about it is that most of your energy seems to go into just holding it up -- the stirring itself is almost cosmetic in comparison. "Who cares?" one might object, "you expend energy just the same." But it kind of ruins the illusion for me.

The one recently posted movement I have been getting somewhat regular about is "pick up the pieces" aka "hindu squats." I've been doing them without the shovelglove both because that's what people have been recommending and it makes sense given the name. I'm not sure I've been doing them in proper "fury"ous style (I don't do the funny arm thing he does in the animation), but they feel right, and they burn.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:15 pm

Hi "Big Phil" :wink:
LOL...
Have you been cracking yer whip today??? LOL...

8) Deb

Big Phil

New movements

Post by Big Phil » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:29 pm

Hi Reinhard,

Nice to hear from you! I did do the Persian Meel exercise for a few weeks, maybe a month or two before I did "crack the whip", just with one sledge. I think building strength and balance with that helped with doing "crack the whip". Also I'm only using a 10lb hammer at the moment, a 16lber would be too much. I do hold at the extreme handle end, opposite end from the head - I think it ends up being more co-ordination and timing rather than strength that gets it done.

For "Pounding corn" I use "Biology of Micro-organisms", Blake and Holdsworthy, 1992 6th edition. Peer-reviewed as the best edition for calf development! But I am sure a block of wood would do just as good if you don't want to desecrate any sacred texts. The most important thing is the angle you get with your feet to stretch the calf and give it more of a movement.

I am very much in agreement with you over "paddling" and "stir the cauldron". I am glad you mentioned the squats - I was going to ask people whether they felt the arm waving added anything to the movement. I just do the squats holding the head of the hammer - it works pretty good and really gets the heart pumping and lungs blowing. I was thinking of trying the hindu squats with arm waving but holding light Indian clubs (small weight) - this would be Indian on several levels, but I will post when I have actually tried. I like the idea of giving the whole body a workout at once.

Have a nice day,

Phil.

Big Phil

Hi Deb

Post by Big Phil » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:33 pm

Sorry, missed your message the first time. No cracking of whips for me today, no workouts at all this week! Hideous hacking cough and snot monster have struck me down! :shock: I am having enough trouble breathing without exercise at the moment, so I am just hunkering down and waiting for it to blow over. :(

Phil.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:41 pm

Oooh! That sucks! (or hacks!)
I had the exact same thing happen about two days ago... I'm finally "declogging"... Weird how the Seasonal changes can cause havoc in our bodies sometimes..
I recommend three things..
1. Sleep!
2. Raw Garlic
3. Any form of Wasabi... that gets the sinuses nice and open!
(and, oh also, 4. Spit alot and drink tons of room temp water too...)

Feel better soon Mighty Phil~
Love,
8) Deb