LYNNES DAILY POST

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lynne2005

LYNNES DAILY POST

Post by lynne2005 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:28 am

Wow, thank you all for your encouragement.
Talk about urban ranger! Ive already done a half hour walk this morning, not out of enthusiasm but out of necessity. Reinhard....... got the spell check running lol.
Last night i had to leave my car at the park, a 30 minute walk away, and this morning my ex met me there to start it for me! very nice of him but he could have collected me and taken me to the car - lol - perhaps he thought he would be cruel to be kind! he is my ex after all. Only joking, was really kind of him. So ive already got 30 mins of walking under my belt this am. hopefully will help me tighten my belt a notch by the end of my 21 days!

It was my own fault that my battery ran out Navin, i left the lights on whilst i walked the dogs and i do this every evening, ho hum! lol

It was porridge for breakfast this morning, a big steaming bowl with a sprinkle of brown sugar and some skimmed milk....... is that ok?
Oh how i long for a bacon sandwich (butty), but im a vegitarian :shock: apart from eating fish and dairy.

Have a great day everybody, and thank you once again for your encouraging posts.

How much has everybody lost??????

Take Care

Lynne
Last edited by lynne2005 on Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
A person with no imagination can never dream, a person who never dreams can never have those dreams come true!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:01 pm

Lynne! I just wanted to say you are so cute!

ps... I bet there's a reason why bacon sandwiches are called "butties"...
I mean, if you eat them regularly you probably will wind up with quite a big bottom eh??? LOL...
Have a nice weekend girly!
pps... A bit of sugar, in teaspoon form is really okay on NoS.. Just not the candybars and soda etc....

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:32 pm

Hey Lynne,

You might find it easier to keep track of if you keep one topic (Lynne's check in or somesuch) and just post replies to yourself each day. It's cute to have one for each day, but I expect it will be a nightmare if you ever wanted to look back over it a few month's later to see how you've changed.

Glad to hear it's going well so far for you. You're doing great! Keep up the good work!

C.
CaroleJo

lynne2005

posting a reply to me !!!

Post by lynne2005 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:55 pm

AAAAaaaaaaahhhhh thanks carol - i wondered how i should be doing it, deb told me but i got it all wrong. In future i will post a reply to myself instead of making a new post.

Guess What!!! Ive been another walk, again enforced lol. I ran out of cigarettes...... what a catastrophe! I had to walk to the local shop, about five mins away, unheard of for me to walk even such a small distance, its all your fault Reinhard! lol

But ............. swinging a lump hammer around is totally out of the question!! It makes me smile, and brightens my day just to think about it, you cant swing a cat in most of my rooms here in my home - never mind a 14lb lump hammer - and im not going to do it outside just to amuse my curious neighbours!!!

Ive forgotten the name of the witch man in america that uses his lump hammer often - thank you for your posts sunshine, they keep me smiling. If i go to look for your name now i will lost this post (i did it just a minute ago when i went to look lol) so i will check next time and make a note, im such a drongo!!!
Take care all, and thank you for the feeling of you checking over my shoulder now and again.
Take Care
Lynne
A person with no imagination can never dream, a person who never dreams can never have those dreams come true!

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:40 pm

I know what you mean about 'previously you wouldn't even walk 5 mins'.

I drove to a new supermarket that opened close to where I live, about 6 months ago now. I pulled up in the car park right in front of the doors, got out of the car, then realised that the doors were up a flight of stairs - not directly in front of them, but about 10 yards to the side. I thought to myself at the time (I'm not kidding!) "Oh no. How annoying. I've got to walk ALL the way over there, go up the stairs, then walk all the way back along the walkway to the door. Humpf!" About a fraction of a second later, I suddenly realised what the hell was I thinking..? How could I possibly have become such a lazy idle slob, that I don't want to walk even 20 yards to enter the supermarket!!?

This was a real 'eye opener' moment for me. I was forced to take a good look at my habits. I immediately moved my car to the furthest side of the carpark, as far away from the doors as possible and walked the whole 50 yards instead. I'm pleased to report I haven't looked back again since. In fact, now, I'm just as likely to walk the WHOLE mile and a half to the store, if I'm not picking up much stuff (helps you not to impulse buy things either if you have to carry it home as well!)

Funny how good we can become at tricking ourselves into not doing anything at all! Fortunately, it's just as easy to trick ourselves into doing lots of additional things without thinking about it much, once you start to build good habits instead.

C.
CaroleJo

navin

Post by navin » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:53 pm

Guess What!!! Ive been another walk, again enforced lol. I ran out of cigarettes...... what a catastrophe! I had to walk to the local shop, about five mins away, unheard of for me to walk even such a small distance, its all your fault Reinhard! lol
Ah, so THAT"s the real reason why some people say smoking can aid in weight loss... :)
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

lynne2005

smokin!

Post by lynne2005 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:03 pm

Carol your right, ive become a right lazy so and so, and how did it happen? goodness knows. When i was a kid i used to love getting physical (now now fellas, not that kind of pyhsical lol). I used to swim, run, ride bike, exercise, i even used to have my own exercise class in my home when i lived in south africa (years ago) i was young and full of enthusiasm then!

Next step Navin is to stop smoking so i can walk even further!!! Ive been smoking since i was 12 and im now 51 - perhaps thats why im not as physical as i used to be. Show me the way - im lost !!!! Am i redeemable? I hope so. Ive had a bit of a down day today - dont know why, but lifes like that!
Bye for now all xxx see you tomorrow, oh eating was ok but not great today. Only had the three plates but wasnt really that healthy this evening. Ill try harder tomorrow.
Guess what I did wrong!!! I forgot to weigh myself at the start of all this, so i will do it in the morning and start counting the loss from then on...... Somebody send me some happy vibes will you please. I feel like an ugly toad squirming in the mud!

Byeeeeeeeeee xxxxxxxx

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:21 am

*sends you happy vibes*

Keep movin' and shakin'. You can do it Lynne!

C.
CaroleJo

lynne2005

day three

Post by lynne2005 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:00 am

Hi there everybody.

Well here i am again, bit brighter in mind and spirit this morning, sorry for being a misery yesterday!

Ive not had breakfast yet, but i think its going to be porridge again. Ohhhhhhhhhh I must remember to weight myself, that will blow my sunny mood right out of the window!!! lol

Do any of you just wish that you were one of those naturally lean people? People whos clothes just naturally sit nicely on their bodies and dont have to struggle to find something that looks half way decent.

Ive got big plans for today, decorating my house, (a never ending task) gosh sometimes i wish i had a bloke - lol. Sorry fellas, but you know what we girls say, the only good thing a bloke is for is doing the diy and carrying in the grocery shopping :wink:

My house comprises of two bedrooms, a study and bathroom upstairs ( a total of Four doors (all new) which i have to paint, they have been hung for about 9 months and i still havent got round to doing it! then i have all of the banisters and railings to paint on the landing and all the way down the stairs, i think that must amount to a square mile of white work to paint! Downstairs, i have two lounges, a kitchen and a conservatory which i use as a craft room and general dumping ground. The point of saying all that is that I have not one single room that is decorated!!!! Im sick of procrastinating but still do it lol. Its as bad a habit as overeating......... or is it lol.

Going for my porridge...................mmmmmmmmmm lovely

Wishing you all a good nos day xxxxxxxx
Lynne

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:53 am

Happy S day Lynne! Only weigh yourself once in a while and make sure it's when you are feeling in a good mood... Then, don't let it blow your sunny mood out the window...
Think of yourself and how hard you are trying! Trying counts too Lynne, even when the immediate result isn't always success.. you just keep your spirits up and try try try try... Eventually you will win!!!! Be patient and no calling yourself a toad in the mud (though that was semi comical! LOL...)
As for smoking, I suggest that you try accupuncture for smoking cessation.
I have been told by several smokers that it's highly effective...
It's not painful and really supposed to work!!!!

My dad smoked from the time he was a kid too.. but he quit right around his fifties... Know how?
Heart attack... He survived though, thank God! He never went back and never experienced "withdrawal"... Somehow that just made it so that he quit cold turkey, after all that time.. It's a mental fix Lynne.. Yes there's nicotine involved, but when you really want something soooooo badly, you can make it happen, and hopefully without the heart attack.

Take care of your heart Lynnarooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tootleoooooooooooooooooooooooo
LOL..
ps. You are still so cute!
Wow, it's early, I'm going back to bed!
pps.. I like that part about how you used to be "physical" LOL....
Wishing you all the best on that too!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

lynne2005

Ive blown it !!!

Post by lynne2005 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:30 pm

Ive had a blooming monkey of a blooming weekend!!!!!

If it could be done - ive done it wrong, even to the extent of going over on my ankle and twisitng it - its ok now though.

I had to cut my walk round the park to just one circuit last night because of it......... and the dogs are still sulking. I gave them loads of treats to compensate, real pork sausages, crab sticks, im cooking them breast of lamb at the moment (i dont eat any of this stuff) im veggi!!! But boy do i eat loads of other stuff: May i list exactly what i had to eat Friday night and yesterday? I really blew it! Yes I may? ok here goes, Perhaps this will act as a confessional for me!

Friday day went ok
Friday supper, with daugher consisted of:
Half a 12 (where the blooming heck is the inches symbol) " found it. half a 12" margareta pizza, two slices of deliciously soft english bread, butter, yes BUTTER! cheese, yes CHEESE, lol an english sulatan scone with BUTTER! JAM! and CREAM!!!!!! oh and half a tomatoe!!!!
When i got home i felt like hanging myself !!! and a small handfull of crisps.

Next morning:
Porridge with a sprinkle of Organic sugar and skimmed milk, only a smidgens!
Four, yes FOUR! little pieces of bread, toasted with BUTTER and marmalade, four shortbread biscuits(THE MOST FATTENING BISCUIT IN THE WHOLE WORLD) Then I had FOUR little pieces of bread again, to make tuna sandwiches(with a smidgens of home made mayo!!!!!!!! Its no wonder im so bloody FAT!!!!!!!

Ive been depressed coz of a lack of sleep (due to my new bed) which is a whole new story - and on account of not wanting to be too boring i wont go into it here. Fortunately last night i did manage to get some sleep, but this morning i have already had one piece of toast with butter and marmalade. Im sick of myself!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody got a gun, sharp knife or piece of strong rope???

See you tonight all xxxxxxxxxxx
PS. The worst of it all is that its my dads 80th birthday at the end of October and I am doing a party for him and all the family, and i have to parade my grotesque self in front of them all !!!!!!!!!

Told you i was depressed lol.

Tonsha

Post by Tonsha » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:01 pm

Hi Lynne!

You are doing great! Don't worry about what happened over the weekend. As Reinhard has said:

You Cannot fail on S Days

(This is becoming a bit of a mantra for me, but it is so true!)

S Days are what makes this diet work. Especially for the first few weeks, because we *all* need to be able to 'blow' the diet off at some point, and S Days allow us to do this perfectly legally, EVERY SINGLE WEEK!

The great thing is: as you begin to get the N Day habits ingrained, they will carry over to S Days. Freakwitch was talking about the B&J's Ice Cream, and I've had a similar experience too.

So everything is fine. N Days are N days and S Days can be S Days and everything is OK.

Finally: Don't forget that this is a long term thing. Other diets draw you in by telling you how much you can lose short term. No S is all about running the marathon. Changing gradually, one day at a time, one meal at a time.

It may not seem so 'quick' but it is very sutainable.

Keep at it.

DaveA
"The best diet is the one you don’t know you’re on" - Brian Wansink

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:33 pm

Hey Lynne!
Just kick your ass to be good during the week!
Use a big plate if you have to.. Put as much lovely bread on it as you wish, and lovely mayo... But stick to three plates a day..
If you keep this up for three weeks, I bet you'll still lose weight regardless orf the bread and mayo...
Either way, you probably won't gain....
Try putting on some soothing music a little before bed and maybe take some time to just breathe and meditate... This might help with calming down and sleeping.. I know you said you have a new bed, etc...
Anyway...
There's no hanging allowed here... Just get your cute chin up and put your nose to the grindstone...
When you mess up, leave the judgements for a higher authority...
You probably are so used to beating yourself up, but it's wasted energy...
Just give yourself a little shove and have a good week...
Tonsha is right about S days... Don't even think about them... Just focus on the weekdays...
All the foods you mentioned are all okay... Just make sure you put them on a plate.. Eat them slow.. Relish them and stop judging yourself!!!!!!!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

tracyj64

Post by tracyj64 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:57 am

Lynn,
Please dont be so hard on yourself, YOU ARE DOING GREAT!!!

In May I made a decision to change my whole lifestyle which included losing weight and quitting smoking. I managed to do both, but had some trying times in front of me. This is not just a "Diet", it is a lifestyle change. With LIFE sometimes you fall, so you just gotta dust yourself off and get back on track. Learn from your mistakes. I made one this weekend, I know I cannot have walnut brownies in my house. I gorged myself, but when I got up this morning to go for my morning walk I knew I cannot do that until I have better control over that. I am usually good about not making a pig out of myself but I certainly did this weekend.

Today is a new day.

lynne2005

Thank you !

Post by lynne2005 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:30 pm

Lots of love and big thank yous to you all. Im feeling a bit brighter - got some sleep this weekend.

Thanks all for being there xxxxxx

Lynne

lynne2005

i think this is day 5

Post by lynne2005 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:39 pm

Hi Everybody,

Feeling a bit brighter today !!!

Breakfast: Weetabix n skimmed milk
Lunch: Stir fry veggies n butter beans

so far so good............ Im feeling on- track so there shouldnt be any trouble at today......... got what a weekend.

Bye for now

Lynne

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:13 pm

Glad to hear your week got off to a good start. Keep going! Every little 8 hour period of the day where you stick to the rules is 8 hours where you suceeded. Even failing somewhen else can't take those sucesses away!

(Man, I'm sounding more and more American with each passing day :lol: )

Hope you've feeling even more cheerful today. Don't know what the weather is like your side of the pennines, but over here in Leeds it's a glorious blue-sky sunny day. Hope it's as good over there, then you'll have another thing to be cheerful about!

C.
CaroleJo

lynne2005

Here we go again!

Post by lynne2005 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:56 pm

Yipeeeee Im feeling much better guys, thanks for all your support.

I did it yesterday..... and did it well
Im doing it well today too.
Surprising what a bit of decent sleep can do.

Its blooming windy here today Carol, blowing over from your side!!!

Good luck to everybody else today, hope you have a good one

Lynne xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cant remember how many days ive been doing it - ill check later

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:11 pm

That's great Lynne!!!
See how cool this plan is?
I agree totally, that lack of sleep can wreck the day...
I've always needed at least 9 hours to feel decent the next day...

It's breezy and sunny here too!
Wish I didn't have to go in to the gym.. This seems the perfect weather for a nice walk!
Maybe in the early evening :)

See you later! :D
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

MerryKat

Go Lynne

Post by MerryKat » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:13 pm

Hi Lynne

I just wanted to add my encouragement for you - You are going great guns and you CAN do this.

As Dave said - you cannot muck up S days, so enjoy them and in time they will regulate themselves.

What part of SA did you live and run an exercise class in??? (I am a born and bred South African with Scottish parents)

Have a marvellous day
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:16 pm

Yeah, it's blowin' pretty well over here too... but at least that means any clouds don't stick around long enough to rain!
C.
CaroleJo

lynne2005

evening again

Post by lynne2005 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:49 pm

Hi everybody,

Its evening again and ive done it again - woweeeeeeeeeeee - thanks to you for all your perseverance with me and support. And a special thanks to Reinhard for doing this just coz he can, and not for personal financial gain! Your special!

I put my evening meal on my plate and thought to myself, mmm if its nice ill have some more after this!!!! Woooaaaaa!!!!!!!! luckily i remembered 'no seconds' while i was eating! I didnt put myself a massive plate out in the first place but i thought to myself, well youve already put a plate full out, why would you need an overflowing plate. Anyway - I ate and enjoyed. Didnt have anymore, and feel pretty good!!!

Carol- come and get your weather back, its howling here and pissitively possing down !!!

I lived on either side of the vaal river Kat, in the Free State for a while and in the Transvaal for a while. I loved it, but that area wasnt particularly pretty, you prob know what its like there, a bit arrid and barren, but i still loved it. I know the feeling of waiting for the first rains, ohhh and that lovely smell that comes with it. Ohhh nostalgia is lovely. Thanks for reminding me!

Debs, GET TO THE GYM LOL

im wondering if i should walk the dogs or not in this weather, I SHOULD!! they dont care if its raining or not !!!

Does anybody mind my lack of use of capitals and punctuation. If it bothers anybody ill stop !!!! and do it properly. Its a sign of misspent leausre time - chatting in chat rooms where hardly anybody uses punctuation properly or capitals. Let me know.

See you tomorrow xxxxxxxxxxxx

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:09 pm

Dear Lynne! LOL...
How dare you use uncapitalized and unpunctuated English!!! I mean, you are British!!! Aren't you supposed to be using English correctly??????!!!! LOL.....

I doubt any of us are anal enough to care if you do this! I certainly don't...
(Though I do, kind of cringe, when people start making up weird stuff like saying "Ur" instead of "you're"....
That's just plain moronic and, yes lazy!!!! LOL...
(Hey maybe I am a bit anal after all! LOL...)

Just so you know, "going to the gym" didn't mean working out, for me... It meant, waiting around in a basement for people to come and get massage, while the sun was shining brightly outside!
And, by the way, no one came!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

But I did do 20 minutes on the boring elliptical thingy machine...
Snore..........................

LOL..

So glad to hear about you avoiding seconds on dinner tonight!!!
Don't make yourself nuts about portions right now... It's really okay to have a fairly overloaded plate in the initial months.... You are forming a "No Seconds" habit... The portions shouldn't look too small, or you will have a harder time convincing yourself not to have seconds...
Great job today girly!!!

Hope the "pissy" weather goes away!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:17 am

Lynne:

I can't believe that you are reading everyone's posts!!! That is great. It got me curious about my own post so I started to read through. What strikes me is that we all sort of go through the same "conversion" with No S. The excitement of a new plan, followed by the inability to do it, followed by commitment, etc.

The most wonderful thing about No S is that unlike other plans the amount of time accrued works to your benefit. For example, I felt like I was in a rut a few weeks ago. I was kind of on a plateau and thinking that I may need to tweak my portions. Well today I put on a pair of board shorts that were tight 3 weeks ago. And they fit perfectly!! I almost have forgotten to be obsessed with my weight and just live life like a normal person. How exciting is that????

I would like to see the No S plan over take all those dumb plans out there that rip people off. But sadly, there are some people who just won't get it. The other day I told some lady at the pool about it and her response was, "Well, I just need to quit eating bread and pasta and mac and cheese" Hello? You can have that on No S! But, it was one of those times that I decided not to push it.

Well, I'm glad you are doing so well Lynne. You are on an exciting journey.

Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:12 pm

Hey Lynne!
I had a really weird dream last night...
(I was eating late again... Rah!!!! :evil: )

I hope you laugh now...
You were in it... For some reason, you were standing outside in a driveway talking to everyone who passed by, nonchalantly, while only wearing a green satin lingerie thingamagig! LOL.....
You had a lot of make up on too, and bleached blonde hair!
I guess I must think you are some kind of tart eh????
Then again, my only psychiatrist I ever had, said that every person in your dreams is really a part of your own self... Even if they are a male..
So maybe I think *I'm* a big ol' Tart!!!! LOL...

Are you laughing???
LOL...

Hope you had a great day, and please,,, get out of that driveway in those undergarments... You'll catch a death of cold!
LOL...

Love,
8) Deb
(Who has an imagination, and likes to dream! LOL...)

lynne2005

laughing my head off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by lynne2005 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:17 pm

Debs, what were you thinking lol

Youve got me down as a tart, lol im not lol - honest !!!

Nor do i wear my pjs on the drive, lol unless im sneaking out to get my mail, MAIL not male - lol

I am blonde, (naturally) lol, doesnt come from a bottle, ive got blue eyes, im five foot seven, WIDE lol - only joking. Im told ive got a happy smily face. So yes - it must have been you you were seeing in your dream lol.

Ohhhh if only that were me - id be such a happy bunny lol

PS, Tonight at the veggi dinner i went to, i wore make up for the first time in months !!!! If you want to see what i look like then you can see me on Yahoo messneger as scarlett988 !!

I am pretty gregarious though, i do talk to anybody that passes by, if they talk back to me, hey thats a bonus !!!!!!!!

Keep dreaming those wierd and wonderful dreams deb........... keep me in them !!!!!!!!!!! The prettier and thinner I am in them, the more i will like them !!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care,

See you in your dreams

Love Lynne

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:14 pm

Hey Lynne

While the part of SA that you lived in may be barren I still think it is one of the most beautiful parts of the world to live. I am further into the old Transvaal and live near the Jan Smuts Airport in Jhb.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:42 pm

Yo Lynne!
I couldn't look at your picture because I don't have a Yahoo account..
Can you post one here, somehow?
Hope you are having a lovely day in Lancastershire (sp???)
That reminds me of that Beatles song "A Day in the Life"..
So you're *not* a tart eh????
I guess the dream was about me!
LOL!!!

(Though I don't own any emerald green satin lingerie and don't have blonde hair! And almost never wear any makeup.. LOL....)
Any luck with NOS? I am starting up another try at a good three weeks..
Even if I only manage to do this with 80% success, I'll be okay with that..
Love and Hugs,
8) Deb
ps.. How's the poochies today???