New to No S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Flopsy

New to No S

Post by Flopsy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:05 am

Hi,

I came across your website today and it seems a sensible way to eat. I'm going to start this evening at supper. What were some of the challenges that people had when they began this way of eating? :wink:

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:10 am

Hi Flopsy,

Welcome to NoS!

Some of my personal pitfalls (especially at the start) were:
Not running off to buy and eat a random chocolate bar at 3pm. Not going back for seconds, coping with buffet style meals and social pressure to eat more. Learning to recognise when I'm really hungry and when I'm just bored / tired / snackish / want some kind of taste sensation. Not eating enough protein at breakfast to keep me from getting really hungry about 2 hours after eating.

Good luck. It really does get easier, not harder as you go along, unlike just about any other 'eating plan' or 'diet' out there.

C.
CaroleJo

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:09 pm

Welcome, flopsy.

My biggest problem was seconds. Snacks and sweets are so clear. You'd
think seconds would be clear, but "what about soup?" "what about bread?" "what about 'tasting' while you're cooking?"

Now my biggest problem by far is social pressure (though frankly, it's not much of a problem). I hate making a scene or giving offense, and the few times I've slipped up over the last year have been due to the insistent generosity of others.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Hey Flopsy!
How are Mopsy and Cottontail??? LOL..
My S of particular difficulty was also, Seconds... Unless I had pms, then it would be chocolate ice cream...
Stick with it and experiment with keeping a rudimentary account of how it goes for you... The first step in changing ourselves is bringing awareness to our problems...
So, good luck!!!
Love,
8) Deb

Azathoth

Post by Azathoth » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:02 pm

I have to side with everyone else on this as well...

"Seconds" has presented me with the most problems so far... for the exact reasons Reinhard has said. It is truly amazing how quickly your mind and body will begin to try to talk you into why a particular choice doesn't qualify as seconds. I find myself thinking: "You could have fit another pile of cottage cheese on your plate if you had squeezed the chicken breast a little closer to the asparagus", or "This bowl of soup is so awkward, if I really wanted to I could have smashed it right down in the middle of my plate but it would have been messy", or "These [xyz] green vegetables are so good for me, I can have a little more bread on the side because they veggies are taking up so much room on my plate", etc., etc., etc.

My suggestion (from someone who is only the rest of today and then two S-days away from being in the 21-day club): Really try to conciously be aware of these little tricks your mind and body will play and be ready to just tell yourself: "That was a good meal, I enjoyed it" and just go ahead and pick up your plate, rinse it off, and go on with your day. Be aware that up front that you will try to talk yourself into doing otherwise and you will be more ready to combat the problem. Once you get a handle on doing this the excuses will come less and less often (or at least with less intensity) and you will be on the road to success.

Good luck!

jaob

Post by jaob » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:00 pm

I agree w/ the mind games, Azathoth!! I am a newbie so I am slightly excused here, but yesterday I had to go straight from work to my son's baseball game, my meal being a not very small amount of sunflower seeds. Although sunflower seeds are very healthy, they are an addiction of mine, so of course, this led to a bag of popcorn, since I was eating finger food anyway, then this led to me feeling bad. :? Fridays are a traditionally unwinding day so it will be difficult for me to just eat 3 squares!

Anyway, Flopsy, hope that helps. I've had other struggles...such as timing of meals and going without red wine on S days. But I have gotten alot of support from the NoSers here! Good luck to you!
My times are in Your hands. Psa 31:15

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:13 pm

Welcome, Flopsy! You've discovered a most wonderful little corner of cyberspace here on this board.

My biggest challenge is timing of meals. Breakfast is always fine, but sometimes lunch and dinner are going to be late. Then I am starved, and the urge for snack or seconds is really strong. What I have found, though, is that if you'll just be really firm with yourself in the beginning, it really gets easier as you go along. Late meals don't bother me much any more, and I just enjoy my food that much more when I can actually sit down and eat. Also, I have found that balancing my meals with about 1/3 protein, 1/3 starch, and 1/3 fruit/vegetable/salad (in terms of quantity on the plate) really helps to get me from one meal to the next, and from dinner until next morning's breakfast.

I hope you have as good a time on the No-S program as I have been having!

peetie

Post by peetie » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:36 pm

Flopsy, so much of our eating is habit pure and simple. And if habits can be made, they can also be changed. Just give it time....patience and noodging in alternate doses is helpful.

Peetie