Trying again (for the 2nd/3rd time)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Bunny88

Trying again (for the 2nd/3rd time)

Post by Bunny88 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi there,

I'm trying this for the second time (or third, as I tried something similar to this many years ago). I started a few months ago, but got very frustrated with the limitations of dieting in general, and ended up gaining more weight. I'm 20 pounds up from what I was a year ago and feel awful.

I've made a deal with myself to try updating at least during the week (I'll be gone part of this weekend without computer access so I can't do it this weekend).

Anybody have any tips for staying motivated? I am just so *sick* of dieting, of control, control, control. I chafe against it. I hate my body, yet I find it really hard to stay motivated.

Thanks.

Bunny

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:40 pm

I think the secret to motivation is being committed to doing what it takes -- doesn't matter what you're trying to do.

In terms of weight loss, I think it's more important to be committed to the doing what it takes (No-S and exercise, for example) than trying to reach a specific goal. We can't guarantee "x" amount of weight loss weekly or monthly; we're really not in control of that. But we can commit to doing what it takes to lose the weight.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

HealthPrincess9

Post by HealthPrincess9 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:19 pm

I've been trying to look at NoS not as a diet - but as a lifestyle. I have to say, it's really been working for me. I don't eat sweets, snacks or seconds... why? Not because I can't, just because in my new lifestyle, I don't... I also like to think about how much I am saving on my grocery bills without my constant snacking/going back for seconds :lol:

Good luck! Keep us updated! :D

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:23 pm

Well, when my dieting collapsed, I gained 60 pounds! I think that what happens is that dieting triggers a survival mechanism in your body against dieting because you don't want to starve. The closest analogy I can give it is when my brother held me underwater when I was 10. I suddenly had great strength to get to the surface of the water!

My tip to you is to not worry about your weight but instead focus on your health -- exercise, eat right, limit food intake during the week to three meals.

The first step is to regain some control over your eating.

Kathleen

Starla

Post by Starla » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:20 pm

hilly6000 posted something I've found helpful when I've been tempted to waiver:

But then I just thought, "Well, when are you going to really change?" So I guess that's what got me.

And that's it. If not now, when? How many more chances am I going to get? If I can't do No S, which is the least restrictive diet I've ever been on, what can I do?

And this is a little silly, but I also have a song I listen to when I need it: "One Last Chance" by James Morrison. Or I look up quotations on change. Here's one I liked a lot:

"When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power."
Hugh White
US politician (1773 - 1840)

Or I pick out a thread in the daily check-in section and read it. I did this a LOT when I first started.

At this point I know some days are going to be bad, but things aren't going to stay that way. When I'm struggling I'll take inspiration anywhere I can find it.

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:50 pm

Toss out the deadlines and goals. Focus on one day at a time. Break it down and I bet you find that there are only a few areas that give you trouble. For me it was wild S days, so there was no weight loss, which is very un-motivating. And the only problem I had on N days was the late night munchies. Although I didn't succumb to it, but it was a constant nagging problem and getting rid of that sort of obessive feeling was something that I was trying to do along with losing the extra pounds. Sometimes I wonder what is worse, how I look or how I think too much about how I look, ya know? So here is what has worked for me on my second attempt at No-S.

N-days: I now do 4 meals instead of 3. Of course I must keep them small and low cal to account for that extra meal. But I find I am much calmer knowing I can eat 4 meals.

S-days: I am allowing myself 6 S's per weekend. I find myself waiting for something special rather than grabbing just anything.

I have only had 2 weekends since I am back, and they both went great, and in the 8 months I did this before, I can't remember having anything but horrible weekends. So I think I am really onto something. Also I will only weigh in on the first of each month. Since I know the calorie deficit is small I am only expecting to see a loss of around 3 pounds or so. But if I don't see any loss then I will just slightly adjust things and see how that goes for the next month. I have decided not to stress about how long it takes because I want this to just be how I am.
Dawn

Bunny88

Post by Bunny88 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:55 am

Thanks everybody for the tips. I find it really encouraging. I did fine for today, now time to make this a habit!