Ideas for adding more protein to my breakfasts

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

clarinetgal

Ideas for adding more protein to my breakfasts

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:25 am

Hello! I'm looking for ways to add more protein to my breakfasts, so I stay fuller longer. I generally don't have a problem eating enough protein with lunch or dinner; it's just breakfast where I'm still unsure. I know I can do eggs or toast with peanut butter. I can't do much dairy, because I'm lactose intolerant. I do eat sausage patties, but I don't want to eat them every day. I know I could also add a handful of nuts to my cereal. Any other ideas? Thanks!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:31 am

Nearly all whole food has protein, so maybe you just need to eat a larger volume of food?

I have a hard time with the idea of needing more protein since we already eat far more than people in most of the rest of the world. I myself rarely eat an animal source of protein for breakfast OR lunch. Occasionally there's a little milk, cheese or eggs, but no meat. I don't even routinely eat peanut butter.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:21 pm

What wosnes said. Also, beans.

If you're so inclined, making a batch of breakfast pastries with high-protein flour might provide some variety.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Here's a recipe for a Quick and Easy low-calorie, High-Protein Breakfast I use frequently.
14.7 grams of protein and 157 calories plus 35 for syrup = 192 calories

EggWhite Oatmeal PancakesImage

Stir together
1/4 cup uncooked old-fashioned or 1-min oatmeal (Not Instant);
3 slightly beaten egg whites (OR 1/2 cup eggbeaters)
1 packet Splenda
1 tsp ground flaxseed.

Spray skillet with non-stick coating.
Pre-heat skillet.
Pour into two pancakes on hot skillet.
Cook pancakes until brown on both sides.
Serve with 1/4 cup of sugar-free syrup made with Splenda (no butter)
ImageImage Image
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:57 pm

I'm another one who needs protein at breakfast, or I am starving at lunch. During the week I eat a bagel with peanut butter; I don't want to take the time to cook. How about a breakfast burrito? There are lots of recipes out there, and that structure would allow you to vary the ingredients so you're not eating the same thing every day.

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:05 pm

When I have oatmeal for breakfast I like to mix in peanut butter, it's tasty and proteiny all in one. I think there's protein in the oatmeal itself too because I find it holds me over till lunch quite well even if I don't add the PB.

Have you tried soy milk for your cereal? I like vanilla soy milk on cereal and that's proteiny as well.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:06 pm

It's probably mostly the fiber that's holding you until lunch. There's some protein in oatmeal, but not tons. Of course, add the PB and the milk may make the protein in the oatmeal a lot more complete, so yeah, it might be the oatmeal. :)
Spudd wrote:When I have oatmeal for breakfast I like to mix in peanut butter, it's tasty and proteiny all in one. I think there's protein in the oatmeal itself too because I find it holds me over till lunch quite well even if I don't add the PB.

Have you tried soy milk for your cereal? I like vanilla soy milk on cereal and that's proteiny as well.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

kclark

Post by kclark » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:29 am

Yogurt.

~hf

Post by ~hf » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:02 am

Here's one of our favorites . I heat left-over, partially mashed and seasoned black or pinto beans, top them with over easy fried eggs (1 each for the kids and 2 for adults) adding salsa on top. Yum! We use this for breakfast and quick easy dinners. That being said I think protein so totally over rated. I just make it because we like the combo. :wink:

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:14 am

Thanks! Those are some great ideas to work with. Brightangel, I'll definitely try the pancake recipe!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:28 pm

becauseIcan wrote:That being said I think protein so totally over rated.
Me, too. Especially since most other people around the world eat considerably less than we do. It's one of those dietary mysteries. Why are we taught we need more when other folks don't? It's not genetics.

Gee, could it have something to do with Big Food's influence on our buying and eating habits?
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:22 pm

Wosnes. I wonder about that, too. I do know it helps me stay fuller longer, and I know it has a lot of benefits, but I wonder if we need as much as some of the sources say we do. I went on one diet site that said I need 60-over 100 grams of protein a day, and that seems a little high. I think I'll ask my doctor about it at my annual physical this coming Spring.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:32 pm

One thing I noticed when traveling to various countries, next to the eggs and bacon for the tourists, each country had their own specialties for breakfast - bowls of yogurt, fish, cheese, sliced meats, rolls, soups - not 'breakfast foods', just normal foods that they happened to be eating at breakfast time. When you think that way, it opens up a whole world of possibilities.

I find fat content has a whole lot more to do with feeling full longer than anything else. Carbs and even protein disappear in no time, but if I have a decent amount of fat in it, I stay energetic and focused, and don't get hungry til well after noon. Which is good, since I work til 1 :). But of course, that is what fat is for.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:38 pm

Dandelion, It definitely helps to add fat to your meals! I find that if I eat something like a bowl of cereal for breakfast and I don't get a lot of fat, I'm always hungry within two hours.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:31 am

clarinetgal wrote:Wosnes. I wonder about that, too. I do know it helps me stay fuller longer, and I know it has a lot of benefits, but I wonder if we need as much as some of the sources say we do. I went on one diet site that said I need 60-over 100 grams of protein a day, and that seems a little high. I think I'll ask my doctor about it at my annual physical this coming Spring.
I wouldn't bother asking a doctor. They know about as much as we do. They get virtually no education in diet/nutrition. It's about 3 hours (clock hours, not credit hours) and most of it has to do with infant nutrition. Most recommendations are way too high.

The World Health Organization recommends much less. This uses their calculations (it came up when I googled World Health Organization protein recommendations):
http://www.indoorclimbing.com/Protein_Requirement.html

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:24 am

For your own purposes, if protein or high-quality fat makes you feel fuller, then eat some.

There's another theory floating around this site that it's more the variety than the ratio between protein/carb/fat. That (observation-based) theory says you need at least three distinct foods to feel satisfied. You might want to give that a try.

wosnes wrote:
clarinetgal wrote:Wosnes. I wonder about that, too. I do know it helps me stay fuller longer, and I know it has a lot of benefits, but I wonder if we need as much as some of the sources say we do. I went on one diet site that said I need 60-over 100 grams of protein a day, and that seems a little high. I think I'll ask my doctor about it at my annual physical this coming Spring.
I wouldn't bother asking a doctor. They know about as much as we do. They get virtually no education in diet/nutrition. It's about 3 hours (clock hours, not credit hours) and most of it has to do with infant nutrition. Most recommendations are way too high.

The World Health Organization recommends much less. This uses their calculations (it came up when I googled World Health Organization protein recommendations):
http://www.indoorclimbing.com/Protein_Requirement.html
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:53 am

Wosnes, Very interesting! Kevin, I think that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:43 pm

Dump the grains! They raise your insulin and make you hungrier.

Ideas for more protein at breakfast?
Warm up a leftover porkchop from last night.
Saute a breakfast steak and serve with 2 eggs.
Steam some salmon or polluck with eggs.
have an omelet cooked in butter.

:)

Although I do noS, I also do grain (gluten) free, casein free (dairy) and no soy.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:24 pm

Tiffani, All of those ideas sound good -- especially with the cold, rainy weather I'm having right now.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:09 pm

Happy to help :)

It is hard to get away from the traditional breakfast ideas.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:34 am

Tiffani, Do you find it hard to do no soy? So many things are made with soy. Do you just have to read the ingredients really carefully? I was just curious. One of my sisters has breast cancer, and although my doctor said it was okay for me to eat soy, I try to avoid it whenever I can.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:50 am

Not really. I read labels as best I can and avoid the things I know that will hurt me.

Like tonight-another duh for me, pickles. They have msg in them, as does ketchup. "natural flavors" So I doubled up on msg, and now have a headache, digestive upset, and a swollen foot.

It sucks being intolerant to so many things. The more I eliminate- when I add them back, yowza.

If you want to avoid soy, read ingredient lists on the labels, that should keep your exposure down.

HTH :)
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:49 am

I'm going to do that. I made the mistake of buying some non-dairy creamer for my coffee, and (I should have known this), it has soy. The two days I've had it, my stomach has bothered me afterwards. It could be the coffee, but I don't remember black coffee bothering me like that.):

amicamom

Post by amicamom » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:05 pm

Protein Shake
Mom Of Five

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:54 pm

About the protein recommendations -- I found this article in the New York Times today. While I hadn't heard the specific recommendations previously, I'd read that less is best from numerous sources.

ItsTime2Shine

Post by ItsTime2Shine » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:06 am

i was eating protein breakfasts also. I poached my eggs hard and put them on wheat toast with red beans with some hot sauce to add a bit of spice.

Oatmeal is always good or a protein shake with your breakfast too.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:38 am

Very interesting, Wosnes! I've figured out that I need some protein with every meal to help me stay fuller, but I'm not going to worry about eating a huge amount of it, then. I am going to aim for eating more fruits and veggies, though.