Eating out

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mondurvic

Eating out

Post by mondurvic » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:01 am

How does "no seconds" work in, say, a Chinese restaurant, where you would have a couple of dishes brought to you on separate plates, and the rice in another bowl?

Or three-course meals - say soup, a main course and a salad.

And no doubt buffets are ill-advised!

Is it no seconds of each individual food, or only one plate?

Judy

gj

Post by gj » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:11 pm

Personally, I change the "one plate" rule to a "one dish" rule when eating out. I.e. if the rice comes in a another bowl, no problem. But no entrees, soups or desserts. Salad or a piece
of bread is ok though (green/vegetable salad).

That's during the week, of course. On S-days, anything goes.

Good luck,
Juergen

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:29 pm

Several pieces of advice:

1) try to save the three course meals for S days, that way you don't have to wrack your brains about it.

2) here's ideal behavior at a chinese restaurant: fill up a plate with rice and portions from the dishes, take home the rest in a doggy bag. Chinese food makes great leftovers.

3) you don't *have* to order a million dishes every time you eat chinese.

4) if you're at an event where there's really no way to get around courses without seeming like a barbarian, try to put food from each course on a different corner of your plate. "Clean" plate means you have room for another course there. I call this "virtual plating." It's an advanced move, so be careful and sparing with it. Juergen describes another varient on this above, useful for situations in which you don't even have a single plate.

Sorry I can't give neater advice, it's a messy situation -- one reason I usually eat at home/bring my lunch to work. If you eat out a lot, I recommend trying to stick with the stricter alternatives, especially at first until you get the habit down.

Reinhard