The 21(day) Club

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:31 pm

Fantastic news!
Good for you Tracy! :)
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:30 pm

Congratulations and welcome to the club, Tracy! That is a very impressive start.

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:39 pm

i'm finally in the 21 day club!
actually, last friday was my 21st day since i was sick on tuesday and wednesday. i'm really happy that i've been successful the first time I tried it and hope to keep good for many more days :)
have a great night,
Richie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:14 am

I'm so proud of you Richie!!!!
You worked very hard for this!!! :D
You're the best and I love you so much!!!!
8) Mom xxx

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:44 am

Well done Young Man, that is a fantastic achievement.

Have a fantastic Thursday (and rest of your life).

Hugs
Mo
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

turtledove

Count me in

Post by turtledove » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:15 am

I've made it to this club, 28 days actually, and about 5 pounds (for a while now). I don't feel as if I'm suffering at all, and I'm not grouchy about missing snacks or desserts on N days. Reading the book really helped, and I keep a physical note on a wall calendar (a green triangle). When I feel like cheating after dinner, I think about how I'd have to put red on there and start counting over again. I remind myself not to negotiate or rationalize, just to stick to the basics.

So far I have not been successful at starting a real exercise plan. Now it's time, I guess. I think I'm afraid of triggering a fibromyalgia flare, which can happen. Gotta go, but I wanted to post my milestone. Thanks for the great posts, everyone!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:03 pm

Congratulations and welcome to the club, Richard and turtledove!
i'm really happy that i've been successful the first time I tried
That is impressive!
I keep a physical note on a wall calendar (a green triangle). When I feel like cheating after dinner, I think about how I'd have to put red on there and start counting over again. I remind myself not to negotiate or rationalize, just to stick to the basics.
It is amazing how powerful this childishly simple technique can be. I'm very happy to hear it's working for you!

Reinhard

mama-g

21 days and ready for the next round:)

Post by mama-g » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:50 am

I made it, and I am gearing up for the next round of 21 days!

I got here, but I still feel like I need to get this habit entrenched more firmly. So this next round will be more focussed on that, and getting the exrecise in.

I will say this...... its weekend, and I have been sssss-ing to my heart's desire..... but its not as much fun. I have all the snacks I've denied myself all week, and it simply doesn't taste as good as I thought it would. Death of a sweet-tooth.... if only!!! :lol:

Congratulations to all who've made it, and as Dori said/sang so wisely in Finding Nemo "Keep on swimming, keep on swimming swimming swimming...." :D
~Starting Weight: knees hurt, clothes don't fit, kids think I'm still pregnant.
Ideal Weight: I feel good! Clothes fit.... about 20 lbs lighter than I am now~

gymbo

21 days under my belt

Post by gymbo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:32 pm

Okay, I made it through the first 21. I have been true to the program and did not have a "failure". In three weeks, I went from 206 to 193. So kewl.
Then came along came Sunday. We had a Valentines day "fellowship" (Baptist speak: fellowship = FOOD) at our church. Man, I was bad. I guess those days of no deserts just any caught up with me. I ate 2 of any and everything. To add to it, a lady at the church owed me a favor which she repaided by giving me 2 pies (1 buttermilk, 1 almond joy) as we were leaving.
I finally somehow stopped the madness, took and gave the pies( well what was left of them) to some friends (what are friends for), but I feel like crap this morning. I don't even have the nerve to get on the scales ( you live by the scale you die by the scale).
All I can do it get back on the program. Hope to also add some execise this week. I have not been able to do the exercise part because of some lower back issues, but feel ready to at least try the treadmill and the shovel glove program.
So glad to be back on a non S day...........God Spede.........gym
God Spede

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:25 pm

Congratulations and welcome to the club, mama-g and gymbo!
I got here, but I still feel like I need to get this habit entrenched more firmly
Yeah, 21 is a fun number to shoot for, but obviously it isn't going to bring everyone 100% of the way there. Keeping a habitcal is a good way to keep the motivational pressure on in a relatively unobtrusive way.
I have been true to the program and did not have a "failure". In three weeks, I went from 206 to 193. So kewl.
That is kewl! On both counts, behavioral and results. Congratulations!
Man, I was bad.
Hey, it was an S-day. I have some pretty awful ones myself. Big picture, they don't matter. And I think the less you worry about them the rarer such over the top S-days will become.
Hope to also add some execise this week. I have not been able to do the exercise part because of some lower back issues, but feel ready to at least try the treadmill and the shovel glove program.
Try the "14 minutes of ANYTHING every N-day" system. That way you can experiment with different exercises until you find something you like without waiting till you find it to get some real exercise in -- the experiment, the quest becomes the exercise.

Reinhard

15n@50

Post by 15n@50 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:46 pm

So I've successfully stayed on habit for as many days as I my old in years ( 51 ) for...
  • NoS
  • Shovelglove
  • minimum 30 minutes walking per day
  • daily checkin
I'm down 15ish pounds.

S days are still sloppy, but the N days are clearly winning so I'm not inclined to worry too much about it.

My brain wants another days-on-habit target but I fear it is building itself a clever progress trap. Sooner or later I'll reach the most days-on-habit I'll ever do and thereafter I'll never be able to attain my former glory and will become a pale, hollow, dispirited husk of my former self spending my days shuttling aimlessly between coffee shop and donut emporioum, burying my sorrows in apple fritters and boston cream donuts.:-)

I think I'll switch to a monthly personal Olympics. That way I've got medium term attainable goals that get reset at the beginning of the month.
Resistance can be beaten. If Resistance couldn't be beaten, there would be no Fifth Symphony, no Romeo and Juliet, no Golden Gate Bridge. - Steven Presssfield

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:29 pm

Thanks a lot Reinhard and Mo! :)
Sorry I didn't write you sooner.
Thanks again for everyone's support and have a great day!
Richard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:02 pm

So I've successfully stayed on habit for as many days as I my old in years ( 51 )
That is fantastic, congratulations!
I'm down 15ish pounds.
That isn't bad either!
My brain wants another days-on-habit target but I fear it is building itself a clever progress trap...I think I'll switch to a monthly personal Olympics.
Good idea. Racking up a string of days is a great way to kick start a habit, but it doesn't have a whole long of fault-tolerance. Monthly Personal Olympics (with or without the habitcal) is a better long term motivational maintenance tool. Good attitude regarding S-day excesses, too.
Thanks a lot Reinhard and Mo!
You're very welcome, Richie.

Reinhard

magicman

Post by magicman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:07 am

As of an hour ago, I've made it 21 days, no failures.

And I'd be in bed if this basketball game wasn't going into it's 6th overtime.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:49 pm

Congratulations, magicman, and thanks for the real time update!

Reinhard

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:42 pm

Oh yeah... I forgot to post here. I made it to 21 days on habit as of 3/15/2009. Wee!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:11 pm

Welcome! And kudos for starting on such a bang -- very impressive.

SavvyV

I'm finally here!

Post by SavvyV » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:15 pm

After about 11 attempts- thanks to vacation, mountain dew and a slew of other things. Thanks for the challenge! This was a good goal to shoot for! :D So now I'm brimming from ear to ear! Going to update my habit calender now!
If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution. ~Author Unknown

You can't lose weight by talking about it. You have to keep your mouth shut. ~Author Unknown

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:26 pm

Congratulations and welcome, SavvyV!

Nothing unusual about it taking 11 attempts (except the fact that you had the commendable gumption to persist!):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dy ... Found=true
Studies show that altering eating habits for good requires 10 to 12 concerted attempts to succeed - which is to say about a dozen failures come before the eventual success.
Reinhard

Doudou

Question: 21 or not 21?

Post by Doudou » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:12 am

I started on April 6th. So today is day 21. Now April 12th was my grandma's birthday, although I had planned to make it an N day (because I had just started NoS and I thought it was too soon for a non weekend S day) I did have a piece of cake. In my mind and on my habitcal I marked it as a red day.

So my question is: was that a red or an S day? Want to know when I can post here! :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:40 pm

Doudou,

It's up to you. If you celebrated with your grandma and this was her birthday cake, I'd say certainly take it as an S-day. If your grandma was thousands of miles away and your cake had nothing directly to do with her, I'd mark it red.

So welcome, I hope?

Reinhard

Doudou

Post by Doudou » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:55 am

Thanks Reinhard for your reply. I did celebrate with my Grandma, went over to her place and had cake.

However no welcome for me, I'm very ashamed to say that I cracked on day 21! How stupid is that? I wrote in my daily check-in that it almost feels like I sabotaged myself on purpose. I mean who would resist 20 days and then consciously and with great determination fail on day 21? I don't know, had a very low point there followed by an angry "i don't care what happens now" day.

I'm starting again. Will call this day 1. I'm a bit scared this time, not feeling so positive about my trial, but will still try. May the force be with me! Let's see if I check in again on this thread in 21 days...

guadopt1997

Counting to 21

Post by guadopt1997 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:27 pm

Does 21 include S days or just N days?

Never mind. Sorry, I just read the beginning of the thread and saw that it's 15 N days and 6 S.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 pm

I'm very ashamed to say that I cracked on day 21! How stupid is that?
Don't beat yourself up. Human nature is a strange thing. According to Dostoyevski, most prison break attempts occur toward the end of a sentence, because the goal is so unbearably, tantalizingly close.

Better luck next go -- just make sure not to think of it (however subconsciously) as a "prison" and I think you'll be alright. :-)

guadopt1997 -- glad you found what you were looking for and looking forward to officially inviting you to the "club" soon.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri May 01, 2009 10:19 pm

Doudou wrote: I'm very ashamed to say that I cracked on day 21! How stupid is that? I wrote in my daily check-in that it almost feels like I sabotaged myself on purpose. I mean who would resist 20 days and then consciously and with great determination fail on day 21? I don't know, had a very low point there followed by an angry "i don't care what happens now" day.
Doudou, take Reinhard's advice to heart and please don't beat yourself up!!
I *totally* know what you are experiencing..
I have actually been toying with the idea of starting a new topic, but I haven't had enough time actually to be on the boards and give it my full energy.. but I have this kind of thing happen *ALL* the time.
My theory, as insane as it sounds, is that you are somehow just rebelling against the structure, not yourself.. but because you are the one who created the structure, it's as if you are rebelling against yourself, or sabotaging yourself, as you put it.
I hate people telling me what to do.. So much so, that sometimes I even hate when *I* am the one doing the telling!!
But the end result is, screwing yourself, which, underneath it all, you absolutely don't want to feel like you are doing, right???

Hope any of that made sense?

ps.. Haha!! I love what you wrote Reinhard, about what Dostoyevski wrote about prison breaks!!
Just never trust your mind people!! It's *always* out to fool you!
Stick to good habits alone... and if you are ever in a Russian prison, or sorry, a Latvian one, make sure you get in touch with this priest to send you a special treat! LOL
(but only on an S day!)

http://www.qt.com.au/story/2009/04/21/p ... into-jail/

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri May 01, 2009 10:21 pm

And furthermore,,, 20 days on habit is AWESOME!!! :wink:
Good work Doudou!!!
8) Debs

Pewari

Post by Pewari » Sat May 02, 2009 7:49 am

Oops, didn't realise that this thread was here!

28 days yesterday - all yellows or greens :) Problem is now to not get too complacent and allow bad habits to creep back in (I've always been fairly good short term at anything I decide to do - it's long term that I have issues with!)

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Sun May 10, 2009 10:55 pm

So this is day 21 for me and since it's an S day, I guess I did it!

I think I'd feel happier if I hadn't overdone it yesterday (Saturday). Now I'm trying to keep it under control since I usually weigh in on Mondays and I don't want to have a nasty surprise tomorrow morning. But yes, yes, I know, focus on the behavior, not on the weight loss! :)

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed May 13, 2009 4:11 pm

:D Awesome you guys!!! You've met my goal!!!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Fri May 15, 2009 11:50 am

Hi,

I just have a few questions on how the 21 day club works:

- does it have to be 21 days in a row of only greens, or is it 21 days of no reds?
- I presume if for example, at day 10 we "get off track", we have to start over?
- do we just post here once we have achieved the 21 days in a row success?

I'm trying to get back on track and, following some very good advice I received, I'll probably start a daily check-in -- but the 21 day club also sounds interesting. I'd just need a little more clarification on what the rules are.

Thanks,
Butterfly

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 15, 2009 5:31 pm

(belated) welcome Pewari and Guadopt!

Butterfly:
does it have to be 21 days in a row of only greens, or is it 21 days of no reds?
21 days of no reds
- I presume if for example, at day 10 we "get off track", we have to start over?
I'm afraid so. It takes many, maybe even most people a few times to make it. But once you do, you'll be a good way towards building a solid habit, and it'll get easier and easier. At some point, if you keep it up, it'll become harder to fail than to succeed.
- do we just post here once we have achieved the 21 days in a row success?
Yes, that's it.

Best of luck and looking forward to seeing you do that,

Reinhard

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon May 18, 2009 4:06 pm

Reinhard said...At some point, if you keep it up, it'll become harder to fail than to succeed.

Are you serious? Really? Now that's incentive!
Please pray for me

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Tue May 19, 2009 2:20 pm

I'm in the club--exercise and NoS both on track--I am discouraged weight wise--not enough to give up, of course--but I am so sensitively biologically organized that S days (the one I am letting myself have) set me waaayyy back. I will persevere, but I would love to have the effortless weight loss (even very very slow weight loss) that everyone here talks about. 'K, thanks for letting me vent, and I am very happy with the internal organization that comes from No S. Many thanks Reinhardt.

Marianna

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 19, 2009 5:33 pm

Welcome to the club, Marianna! I'm sorry you haven't met with more striking results yet, but moderation is a slow business. Keep at it and I'm confident the results will come.
Are you serious? Really?
I am!

Habit is powerful. Be strict and you'll build a psychological ring of fire around the esses. You won't even be tempted to cross.

Reinhard

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu May 21, 2009 2:41 pm

With not so humble excitement, I am very pleased to announce that...

I have made it to day 21 !!!!!!

It's been a rocky road. I've lost 20, gained 20, and now lost 16 again. But better yet, I'm gaining new healthy habits! Thank you very much Reinhad!!!
Last edited by ~reneew on Thu May 21, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please pray for me

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Thu May 21, 2009 2:55 pm

Tuesday was my 21st Day. All greens!

I have lost 7 pounds and gained some control - the second being the most valuable to me.

Starting weight on here 154,

Tuesday's weight 147.

Goal weight 140.

Thanks to you all for your support.

:wink:

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:10 pm

CONGRATULATIONS, ~Reneew!!!!!

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:25 pm

CONGRATULATIONS RENEE !!!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 22, 2009 6:42 pm

Congratulations and welcome, StrawberryRoan and ~Reneew!

Your numbers are great, but even better are your "self control" and "new healthy habits."

Reinhard

jenglish

21 days and counting

Post by jenglish » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:16 pm

:D
21 days today!

I used to permagraze, especially while watching TV or reading.

During this 21 day period, I notice that my body will let me know when it is hungry. I am beginning to recognize the difference between wanting "something" and being hungry.

I don't weigh, I prefer to keep a watch on how my clothes fit. I bought a pair of pants that were one size smaller that the ones I was wearing when I started this 21 day journey. I am just a scrunch from being able to wear them.

I just bought my next 21's (that is what I am calling my one size smaller pants). They are a really cute pair of white Capri's that I plan on wearing to a 4th of July cookout.

I am also going to incorporate a daily walking regiment to go along with my next 21 days, and I will post when I have lost my scrunch!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:49 pm

Welcome to the club Jenglish! Doesn't it feel great to see what you are accomplishing! Good Job!! Woohoo!
Please pray for me

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:48 pm

21 days yesterday! Woo hoo!

Now, I will be humble...
I realize that I've come down this path before, so it is familiar...the great feeling of accomplishment, the feeling of having things in control, the feelings of peace.

The mistake I DON'T want to make is to become overconfident or prideful.

I don't want to feel that *I'm cured* of all my old ways and habits, if you know what I mean.

The grounds are still somewhat shaky...I could fall...

I believe in my heart of hearts that I need to practice and abide by the rules of NoS forever...I pray I have what it takes to do just that.

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

breeze-at-dawn

Chiming in...

Post by breeze-at-dawn » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:49 pm

21 days on plan as of today!!

Not much happening with weightloss yet... I was down 2 pounds on Friday but I don't yet know what the weekend S-days will do.

I recognize that I'm still settling in - new routines, new paradigm.

So lovely to relax on the weekends, and to eat whatever non-sweet food I want on each day's three plates. Feels like being gentle with myself, like good self-care.

I suspect the excesses I can see right now (some VERY full plates at dinnertime, and an awful lot of snacking on S-days) will fade away over time.

I do want to see weightloss, eventually... but being gentle and kind to myself matters even more. I've been a food-and-weight-Nazi far too long...

Happy trails to all,
Cynthia

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:30 pm

Wow, a lot of action in the 21 club over the weekend.

Welcome, jenglish, mimi, and breeze-at-dawn!

Mimi -- you're right to be (optimistically) cautious. If anyone has a "right" to be complacent about no-s it should be me, but I'm *still* keeping a habitcal for no-s as a helpful little reminder of my fallibility.

Reinhard

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:50 am

Twenty One days, No RED!. I've lost 4.2 lbs in those 21 days. :D

It seemed to come pretty easily for me. I really enjoy eating this way.

As to the No S Diet and Reinhard I'd like to say: WHERE WERE YOU 20 YEARS AGO!? hehe! Could've saved me 20 years of fattening up. :wink:
--- Stephen ---
My No S Diet Progress
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:06 am

I made it through 21 days and then decided to go an extra week before posting on here.

I have been adhering to a "no sweets/no snacks except on S-days" regimen for the past 28 days. I've lost five pounds during that time and maybe as much as ten--the scale consistently shows -5, but the other day I saw a -7 and another time a -10. In short, something's happening.

This month I'm adding the no seconds rule, so I will be doing full no-S from here on out.
Blogging my way to a healthier lifestyle at http://www.21days-at-a-time.blogspot.com

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:22 pm

Congratulations, sgstarling and Vigilant2010!

Great "compliance" -- and always nice to see some pounds lost as well.

I'm interested that you're doing a phased approach, Vigilant. There's been some chatter about it over the years here on the board, but (to my knowledge) you're the first to give it a serious (and successful, so far!) go. It certainly makes a lot of sense.

Reinhard

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:32 am

Yeah, successful *so far*! I'm optimistic, though. :D

I don't know why, but I just couldn't do all three rules at once from the get-go. I knew that binge eating on sweets and permasnacking were 95% of my problem, so I decided to work the two rules that would help me most. Now that I'm fairly used to no sweets and snacks, I am cautiously adding "no seconds". If I find I start rebelling against full no-S again, I will scale it down to no sweets/no snacks once more and do that for another month, then give full adherence a second try. It might take several such attempts, but I'm sure that one of these times it will click.

I'm still behaving like an idiot on the weekends, truth be told. But I'm letting that be for now. When my weekdays are "perfect" (all three rules in place, and consistently green), I'll start worrying about the weekends more. My only weekend objective right now is to not sneak anything behind my husband's back, food-wise (it's a legacy from binge eating days). So I'm being an idiot, but it's out in the open.
Blogging my way to a healthier lifestyle at http://www.21days-at-a-time.blogspot.com

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:40 pm

It seems to me that phasing in a series of new habits is a great idea -- get one down, then add the next.

jenglish

Second Set of 21's June 26

Post by jenglish » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:22 pm

I have no RED days, not a one
I reached my second 21 :lol:

No sweets, no seconds, no snacks I've had
This no S thing is not so bad 8)

I've got more energy, stamina and zip
Hey, even my weight has taken a dip :wink:

So here's my toast to 42
I look forward to 63, yes I do :D
This is NOT a diet, for me, it is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE

5.16.09: 210 pounds - - - 06/16/2009 : 200 pounds
1 month / 10 pounds

GOAL 140

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:58 pm

Congratulations and welcome back, jenglish!

Poetry! You really must be enjoying this :-)

Reinhard

missOlea

Post by missOlea » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:03 am

Hi everybody!

I am now an official member of the 21 club! Do we get membership cards?

Just kidding of course, but I really am so excited to be a member - it took a while (21 days, so the minimum possible, but still a long time!), so I really feel like I've achieved something.

I still have to improve a little - my weekends are pretty much Snack Central - BUT this 'project' has now truly become a habit, and I can say "no, thank you" to eating outside of mealtimes during the week. Thanks Reinhard!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Welcome, Miss Olea!

I like the membership card idea, but I'm afraid someone with a better visual design sense than me is going to have to come up with it.... (any volunteers?).

Reinhard

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:21 am

I'll come up with one. Give me a week Reinhard and I'll PM a design draft to you.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:49 pm

Excellent! Thanks. Looking forward to it.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:00 pm

Bushranger just sent me the badge he promised.

I think you'll agree it looks pretty cool!

URL:

http://nosdiet.com/images/nos21.png

Thank you, Bushranger!

Reinhard

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:46 pm

You are most welcome, Reinhard. Glad you think it's cool! :) I hope it adds something extra to the 21 Club.

spleener

Post by spleener » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:17 am

I'm happy to say I hit 21 days and have kept going. This is day, er, 25. It's been amazing to me how quickly this has become such an ingrained habit that I don't think about it anymore. I'm rarely hungry in between meals, and when I am, a glass of whole milk completely satisfies me. I have $150 worth of diet food (powdered shakes and dehydrated entrees, mostly) I haven't been able to bring myself to throw away--but I know I'm not going to eat them.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:04 pm

Welcome, Spleener! That sounds excellent.

It is amazing how habit can really change you.

If only diet "food" were visually attractive... you could keep it around as a sort of memorial to the ravages of a darker time, like the bombed out Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in Berlin. But I'm afraid it doesn't even have good "ruin value." :-)

Reinhard

BigE

27 days

Post by BigE » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:17 pm

I've just returned from a family vacation, and have immediately plunged into long days of teacher trainings. So I just counted out the days on my HabitCal. No reds! As I've said before, if I can make it through a family vacation on No S, then I can do No S any time, anywhere.

One reflection: I think I truly have a fear of being hungry, like something horrible will happen if I actually experience hunger pangs. By experiencing hunger more consistently, I'm actually able to "face my fears" and the fears are lessening. Because the flip side of hunger is the true satisfaction of sitting down to a delicious meal. I'm never hungry in the sense of physically starving myself; it's the natural hunger of my body preparing for the next meal. Case in point: tonight is my class from 5-8 p.m. and I just realized that I'd rather wait until after my class to have a nice dinner, rather than wolfing down a quick meal BEFORE class when I'm not even hungry yet.

One MORE reflection/connection: In my class yesterday, we discussed the importance of rituals and routines when teaching children to read. In one article, the author pointed out that children need to have predictable routines in place so that their brains have space to think about the more complicated tasks of being good readers. I think that applies to what No S is about: that when you allow your eating patterns to have very simple, predictable routines, then you can devote your brain to other matters.

One question: What happens when you're in a restaurant, and you order a salad, and then there's a dinner roll/chips on the table. What I've been doing is NOT eating the salad or roll until my entree arrives, and then physically putting everything on the plate. It's amazing how few people noticed I wasn't eating my salad right away! (I don't think the restaurant issue should be much of a problem, now that I'm no longer travelling -- I'm on a financial diet at the moment -- restaurants are mostly for S days.)

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:59 pm

I just go ahead and eat salads, but I do leave the chips/bread alone until my plate comes and then add them to the plate if I want them. Fortunately, I almost never eat out during the week, so it's usually an S Day anyway and I can do whatever I please!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:28 pm

I've just returned from a family vacation, and have immediately plunged into long days of teacher trainings. So I just counted out the days on my HabitCal. No reds! As I've said before, if I can make it through a family vacation on No S, then I can do No S any time, anywhere.
That is huge, congratulations! That's a great way to look at vacation/chaotic times: as a chance to "galvanize" your habits under extreme circumstances.
I think that applies to what No S is about: that when you allow your eating patterns to have very simple, predictable routines, then you can devote your brain to other matters.
Absolutely. I find it strange that adults who see so clearly how children learn and are motivated don't see how it also could apply to them. Is it pride ("I'm not a child!") or mere forgetfulness? "Be ye as little children" is sound practical as well as spiritual advice. :-)
One question: What happens when you're in a restaurant, and you order a salad, and then there's a dinner roll/chips on the table. What I've been doing is NOT eating the salad or roll until my entree arrives, and then physically putting everything on the plate.
This is exactly what I do. There are other "legitimate" approaches, but this safeguards the clarity of the rule best, I think. And yes, it is amazing how little other people notice or care what I'm doing.

Reinhard

BigE

Post by BigE » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:48 pm

I've been happy with the aesthetics of the plate. It makes such a great visual presentation, to see it all laid out nicely on one plate. And it has also naturally (meaning I don't have a particular rule about it) guided me into having more balanced meals -- a good combination of fruit/veggies, carbs, protein.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:58 pm

Cool badge... I want one!
Please pray for me

crispytractor

Post by crispytractor » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:47 am

I made it to day 21 yesterday.

This was my first attempt at noessing but It's similar to the way I ate before gaining most of my weight. I've really enjoyed getting back into this way of eating. There was one night when I just wanted to eat sweets and drink fizzy stuff but I didn't, I was having a bad day generally but I knew that these things wouldn't make it better :)

Well done to everyone else who's made it to 21 recently and good luck to those aiming for it :)

masher

Post by masher » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:17 pm

Congratulations!

I have just made it to 21 days too but No S still feels new to me. It is natural, it is sensible but it is not ingrained yet. I esp like Habitcal, and derive inordinate pleasure colouring in those GREEN squares. Makes me feel 5 years old, but in a good way. The thought of a red day kept me from the bite of chocolate after dinner last night.

I am still getting used to plain vanilla, but like the simple structure so far. Will start on the second 21 days today.

Masher

BigE

Post by BigE » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:18 pm

Masher, I'm on the same page as you. It feels good, but it's definitely something I have to work on (especially in the late afternoon).

I too have had two or three close calls in which the only thing keeping me from snacking/sweets was knowing that I'd have to mark RED on the habitcal. I have a seven-year-old and I teach elementary school so I'm very much in touch with that "inner child." If the online "sticker chart" known as habitcal works, then so be it!

crispytractor

Post by crispytractor » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:31 pm

I understand what you're both saying. I'm not out of the woods yet myself, i usually find any change to my diet easy for the first few weeks then start to really struggle a couple of months down the line. I'm hoping things will continue to go smoothly but who knows...

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:40 pm

Congratulations and welcome to the club cripytractor and masher!
I'm not out of the woods yet myself, i usually find any change to my diet easy for the first few weeks then start to really struggle a couple of months down the line.
Use the habitcal, if you're not already. It's a great motivator that you can continue to use indefinitely. And it will nudge you towards long term "habit-think" rather than finite "goal-think."

Reinhard

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:00 am

Back again!

I made it into the 21 Club in 2005 when I first began no-s-ing, but it's been up and down and in and out since then. I have tried so many times to come back and stick with it but was never able to succeed for any stretch of days.

Guess the time and my frame of mind are all lined up right now, because I finished 21 days again as of today.

I am just so determined that this habit is going to become permanent this time! It's really important to me. To that end, my next goal is to complete 100 days of faithful no-s eating. Tomorrow will be day 22 in that stretch. I think that 21 days is a good start, but I want no-s to be a firmly ingrained habit and I think that 100 days should do it.

Thanks, Reinhard, for dreaming up No-S and for all the support you give everyone here. And thanks, also, to everyone on the board for the interesting and helpful discussions.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:21 pm

It's great to see you here again, Jan. Welcome back to the club!

Best wishes on making it to 100 days and beyond!

Reinhard

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:35 pm

I really wish I'd noticed this thread before last week's screw up! I've hit the 21-or-better mark twice since I started No-S back in April: 36 in a row from May 21 - June 25, and 25 in a row from June 27 - July 21. The reason I wish I'd noticed this thread is that I need some motivation to stick with it. Not stick with the diet, but to overcome the voice in my head that says, "you've been good for so long, have that ice cream that you're being offered, it's not like 300 calories will make a difference." I need to overcome it because that voice is, unfortunately, right. Having that ice cream didn't make a difference--I didn't spend the rest of the day pigging out because it was already a failure, because No-S is a habit for me now. However, I hate looking at those red blotches on my habitcal! Being a member of the "club" is now my extra motivation for no red days!
Shovel glove? Isn't that the size of prophylactic I use?

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:15 am

Hi all!

As of Sunday I joined the ranks of the 21 day No-S'ers!

I am so glad that I found out about this plan. It really makes life much more simple, and I've saved money too! ;)

As of my Friday (unofficial) weigh in, I lost 6.6 lbs in 21 days! Amazing what cutting out the extra snacks and the daily binges of junkfood can do for a person!

Today was Day 1 of my second set of 21 days. :D

Thanks Reinhardt for sharing your story and plan with the world!
5'9 -- Laura --

Started July 23, 2009 -- 246.6
Restart: June 13, 2010 - 241.6
July 18, 2010 -- 235 .... - 11.6 lb loss in ~1 yr.
Back Again: January 13, 2012 -- 242.2 lbs

laniebelle

Post by laniebelle » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:21 am

Hooray, I've made it to the 21 Club (actually 28, but who's counting :lol: )! Nothing much in terms of weight loss so far, but there was no gain, either, and that's great. I'm one of the people with PCOS, so I expect I'll have to do a little carb control eventually to see much weight loss. But for just a little while I'm content to maintain. Eventually I hope to lose 30 to 40 pounds. I lost 29 lbs. last year doing a sort of Protein Power/South Beach type diet, so I'm hoping I can tweak No-S with a few lower carb options to get the weight loss moving again. But first I'm just trying to get the habit down pat. Wish me luck!

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:52 pm

I hit 21 days on July 27, 2009. Since then, things have completely fallen apart, and now I just lie around every day eating cookie dough directly out of the tube, switching to pork rinds in the evenings. (Kidding, kidding. Going strong into month two.)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:37 pm

Welcome, sporkfancier, frugaltexan, laniebelle, and DaveMc! And sorry it's been forever since I popped in. Love the "cookie dough out of the tube" and "pork rinds" :-)

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:03 pm

I made it! 21 days as of yesterday, August 30! No reds, and I'm loving doing No S. I can tell a difference between how I felt about food 22 days ago and now. Eating snacks on S days now feels odd and not desirable.
Natural Eater

kwonset

Post by kwonset » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:28 am

My 21 days are completed as of today. I had some failures before I began the "1st" day as I was unable to not snack if I drank wine in the evening; so for three weeks now my glass ceiling has been two glasses, but only if I am out and about, not at home. Giving up the two glasses at home was easier than I expected, and the 21 days went smoothly----I love this way of eating!
Now to work on the exercise.....

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:17 pm

Congratulations and welcome, kwonset and buttercreampillow!

I like your modified glass ceiling, kwonset. I keep thinking I ought to do something similar...

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:54 am

Congrats Kwonset on making the 21 day club. :) Just in time for the next challenge. :D (my username on sp starts with la....g)
5'9 -- Laura --

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:01 am

Return member of the 21 club, here. Both for No-S and shovelglove this time!

Here's to making it to 21x2!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:37 pm

Hey wow.

I was just checking my Habitcal and realized that I've made the 21 day club with no failures on No-S. I wasn't shooting for it, specifically. I was just making sure that I didn't break habit on eating.

Now to do the same for exercise. How nifty.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:26 pm

Congratulations and welcome back, Sporkfancier!

No need for reservations at the 21 club, Noel. Welcome!

Reinhard

Starla

Post by Starla » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:14 pm

Yesterday was my 21st day. Thanks so much for the idea of the 21-day club, because as I'm sitting at my desk, a co-worker walked in with apple bars. We don't eat those on weekdays in the 21-day club, do we?

I'm a little afraid of what will happen when I DO finally have a red day, but so far this seems almost too easy. I think the "no seconds" part of No S has become habit for me, and that makes me really happy. I think I've finally learned that there's nothing pleasurable about stuffing myself with more than one plate of food. I'm still having to make conscious decisions about snacks and sweets, but so far I'm making the right decisions.

Thanks so much to Reinhard and to everyone whose posts have been such a huge help.

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Starla wrote:I'm a little afraid of what will happen when I DO finally have a red day
:) You just start again at day 1. No biggie!

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:37 pm

Yippee! Today is 21 for me!

On to my next goal 8)

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:05 am

Congratulations Dandelion!
5'9 -- Laura --

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:20 am

Thanks!

I"m just getting started :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:00 pm

Welcome, Dandelion!

Mrs. Toast

Post by Mrs. Toast » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:06 am

Today is my 21st day! And I weighed in today at 159.4 lbs, so I'm out of 160 ville, where I had been stuck for way, way too long. Losing four pounds in three weeks may not sound like much, but it's a big deal to me to not see 160-whatever on the scale, very motivating. I actually feel like I can reach my goals this time, because No-S is sustainable.

-Tana

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:08 am

Way to go, Tana. Four pounds in three weeks is just about perfect - why would you want to lose faster? And breaking those 10 pound barriers is a great feeling, isn't it?
tlang313 wrote:Today is my 21st day! And I weighed in today at 159.4 lbs, so I'm out of 160 ville, where I had been stuck for way, way too long. Losing four pounds in three weeks may not sound like much, but it's a big deal to me to not see 160-whatever on the scale, very motivating. I actually feel like I can reach my goals this time, because No-S is sustainable.

-Tana
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Mrs. Toast

Post by Mrs. Toast » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:19 pm

Kevin,

No I'm in no hurry to lose any faster. I seriously could've lost 1 lb and if it put me under the 160 mark I would've been just as happy. Something about those 10 lb barriers, I don't know what it is because it's just another number, but a great feeling nonetheless.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:13 pm

Welcome and congratulations, Tana!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:45 am

I just finished my third 21 :D !! That time went so quickly!! I have been posting my progress on my thread so won't go into it here. I did just make myself copies of the "21 Club" badge and am going to hang one for each 21 I complete on my study wall..dated and stating what I learned about myself during those 21 days.
I have, almost painlessly lost 5 pounds. That may not seem like much but it has meant a whole new attitude toward food and eating and exercise. I really feel I am on the path I will stay on for the rest of my life.
My husband has jumped on the bandwagon as have several friends. The very nice thing about that is, when we go out for dinner during the week, the interest is in the conversation at the table and not the amount of food on it! We skip "openers" and desserts and just enjoy the company! We have also been planning some bike riding and golf outings instead of dinner and a movie. You can teach an old dog new tricks!!!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:23 pm

Another 21 day milestone. Unfortunately, I can't seem to string these together--I tend to slip up around day 30.

Well, this time, I'm shooting for 42. That would be December 7th. Honestly, No-S has been so easy lately, that I have no excuse.

EDIT: Ugh. I made it to day 43, then failed on day 44. Idiot.
Last edited by sporkfancier on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:53 pm

Welcome and congratulations, GrannyG and Sporkfancier!

Love to see repeat customers here.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Reinhard

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:03 am

In 5 days I WILL be a member! Whenever I'm tempted to take seconds or a sweet, I think 21. I'll see you Friday!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:09 am

As of Friday, Dec. 11 I made it!!! I did It!!!
I've never in my life stuck with any diet or any self improvement thing for so long in my life. I find it easy, and when I'm tempted, I think 21.
Thanks so much Reinhard for No S and for the 21 day club!
I'll see you again on ! january 2010!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:44 pm

Congratulations and welcome, mrsj!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:53 pm

Congratulations and keep going!!!
Please pray for me