Angelar's Quest: An anticipated daily assessment

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Angelar

Angelar's Quest: An anticipated daily assessment

Post by Angelar » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:40 pm

Hello, My name is Angela. I was doing the ol' internet search to decide the lasted fad diet I should be into. I was about to get all complicated, strict, and coffee enima'ed when I stumbled (literally) on the NoS diet. Boy am I thankful! I'm one of those people who can be desperate enough, but the reality of it is I need the simple, straight-forward, realistic slap upside the head every once in a while. Everything I read on this site has shown me that. I have been reading for about a week and found myself subconsciously testing to see if I could actually do this. I went 4 days before I ate 3 chocolate chip "cookies" and didn't remember I had done so till the next day. That instant I had an ephipany how I usually eat on autopilot and don't think about consequences until later. NoS'ing makes you focus only during that meal because you aren't supposed to focus on food any other time than that. I like that! So I'm going to give it 21 days to see what I can learn about myself.

A bit about me: I live in Temecula, CA (40 miles north of San Diego). I am married, quite happily to the most amazing person, and we have spawned two munchkins 1 boy and 1 girl, they amaze me daily. We just moved into a new house with our two cats, fat Razzy and Cloudkit (Baby).

I have been NoS'ing for 1 week and starting my second week, 10th day. Wow! That seemed crazy to write! 10 days! Last week was SUCCESS until the 5th dayFAILURE with the cookies, then my S days which I didn't go too crazy on, and back on the wagon on the 8th day.

So here's to a good learning start! Yeah! I'm ready!
C-ya!
Ang :lol:

Azathoth

Post by Azathoth » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:07 pm

Welcome Angela,

No-S is a good tool for helping your body re-learn how to feed itself properly. It is not difficult to stick with, and it does not force you to punish yourself needlessly. Eat foods you enjoy (healthy choices are always better, but that is up to you as long as they are not sweets), fill your plates as much as you feel you need to at first and you can slowly work on portion control after you have established the habits of sticking to 3 solid meals and avoidling all snacking opportunities.

I am on my 3rd week since I started recording my daily check in of my No-S activity, and it has been very easy for the most part. Every now and then the old urge to grab a snack will rear its ugly head, but with each time this happens and each time you pass on the opportunity and stick to your No-S rules it will get easier and easier, and you will feel much better about yourself with each small victory.

Good luck and try to enjoy yourself, this isn't a "diet", it is just a lifestyle that is easy for anyone to maintain.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:50 pm

Hi Angela.

Welcome. I hope you like NoS. It is slow and steady but very effective. I've been doing it since June and I've lost close to 10 pounds. The first few weeks you have to think because like Aza said the habits that got you to the state you are tend to be automatic. Still, eating in this fashion allows you to focus on other areas of your life and not think about food all of the time. So, good luck. Post if you need to or want to.

Dru

PS. I have to kids too. Boys ages 7 and 11. And cookies are what used to be my downfall. :D Now if I want one I just have one on the weekend.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:00 pm

Angela!!!
That coffee enema comment totally had me smiling from ear to ear!!!
LOL..
You are funny!
And yeah, when you find NoS it just seems to "Click" for so many people..
I think you hit the nail on the head by saying you had an "epiphany"!
Rock on girl!!!
I know you will love this plan... Good luck and best to your cool named cats!!!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Angelar

2nd checkin - not day 11 though!

Post by Angelar » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:14 am

Thanks all for your great advice and replies. I certainly looked forward to that!

Day 11
Technically a FAILURE cuz at dinner I didn't portion out my food because it wasn't ready at the same time to fit on one plate so I think I overate because I don't really know how much was eaten. But Breakfast and Lunch were spot on, so 2 out of 3 ain't bad. LEARNED: Need to get a better handle on cooking dinner with a plan and wait until everything is ready b4 I start.

Day 12
SUCCESS!! I started off with a hearty plate of breakfast, but not so much food that I stuffed myself. (Progress!) Lunch was late so I just decided to make my meal something that would "tide" me over because dinner would be only a couple of hours away. Then we went to dinner and had pizza by the slice so my plate was already portioned and I didn't have to play the "fit as many slices in as you can" game, just 2 please. LEARNED: I only thought about my meals during them not obsessing throughout the day like usual. Even though I was starving and my stomach was growling I was able to make a good decision food wise because I hadn't been thinking about food all day and what I "need" to have. I can be satisfied with a smaller portion when my day doesn't go exactly to the plan, then I can enjoy my 3rd meal because I didn't overdo it and throw my schedule all out of wack.

Yeah! S day tomorrow! I'm not sure what I'm gonna eat but I'll definitely make it good!:wink:
Ang

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:26 pm

Hi Angela.

I was suffering serious hunger pangs during my few few days of No S. I was like a baby that hadn't been fed. Cranky, irritable and mean. But then I just forced myself to deal with it. I told myself, "It's only another 2 hours until feeding time, can you deal with that?" And I kept myself occupied. Eventually it became a habit. Somehow my body adjusted because I tend to get hungry every 4 to 6 hours.

Have a good S day.

Dru

peetie

Post by peetie » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:16 pm

Like Dru, I also had the same problem with waiting between meals. I had so bought into the snack all day school of thought, and gotten USED to it, that it was a tough habit to break. And it was a habit.

The problem I always had with those "non diet" approaches where you listen to your body, is my body cannot be trusted!!! It has been so abused with starving and alternate bingeing through the years, it needed my head to intervene and provide some guidance.

Peetie

Angelar

Thanks guys!

Post by Angelar » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:24 pm

:D Thanks Dru, Deb, Aza, and Peetie! Your words of advice and encouragement are certainly helping me stay on track and motivated!

Off to start my S day. I think I'll keep it (sometimes) unless something really good rears it's delectable tasty head!:twisted:

Have a great day today!
Ang

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:05 pm

Yo Angela!
Sounds like you are doing great!!!!
Stomach growling means your were actually hungry.... That is a good thing to experience... it means you weren't snacking!!!
Good for you!
I suggest drinking much more water if you can muster it....
Even finish your meals with a big glass of water...
This could be making you feel a bit hungry?
Keep up the good work!
Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:53 pm

Welcome, Angela! I know where Temecula is...I grew up in L.A. and have family in Riverside/San Bernardino area.

You sound like you are doing well on the program. Best wishes! :D

Angelar

Whoops! Day 16

Post by Angelar » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:18 am

I missed a couple of days back there! Let me sum up:

Day 13
S-day
I think I did pretty well here. I didn't pig out and wasn't all that focused on "must eat bad things!", so that is a HUGE plus for me. I am so obsessed with consumption of food that I will eat for the feel of it. I really need to lose that habit.

Day 14
S-day
I did well here too. I think I snacked a little more today. I noticed that I snack generally out of boredom and that I want to be eating something, anything. Then we bought pie, because Marie Callendars is having their pie sale and I thought pie sounded good. I've put it completely out of my mind, except for now that I'm talking about it!, but I don't have any desire for it. I don't even notice it when I open the fridge. My family is probably making their way through it but I could care less because I know that I understand the rules.

Day 15
Monday SUCCESS
This day I wasn't sure of as I was going to Hollywood to see my good friend from college, and since I didn't know where I was going I had to plan carefully the timing of my meal so I wouldn't get hungry too soon or not be able to eat. I ate a real good breakfast and then ate lunch out with my friend and came back home and decided I wasn't hungry at all so I didn't need to eat. I was very proud of myself.

Day 16
Tuesday
SUCCESS
Had a real good breakfast. Made homemade bread with the breadmaker so toast was definitely on my plate this morning. Had a big lunch today to keep me until I got home later tonight. Sub sandwich, sm bag of chips and a diet coke. For dinner I had a cheese sandwich with the homemade bread and a half of a bratwurst. I wasn't too hungry, so I decided on something small. Now that I look back on today, I sure had A LOT of bread. I should have added some veggies. I'll make it a point to incorporate that. Learning curve.

Angelar

Life is what happens...

Post by Angelar » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:38 pm

I "intended" to come every day but I can only hope for every day and I guess that is good unto itself.

I've counted it up and I'm on day 26. I think the habit principle is working very nicely to be second nature. I've been eating only 3 meals sometimes two when I'm extremely busy and haven't had any snacks in 2 weeks. It makes me think, "what the heck was that all about" eating every 4 hours. Probably ate enough for 2 or 3 average people with all those meals! Anyway, I feel focused and liberated at the same time since I don't need to obsess about what to eat.

This morning the funniest thing happened to me. I was looking at myself after showering and feeling a little miffed that I've been following but I'm not seeing. So as I decided, "yeah this is stupid, it's not even working" I got on the scale to see how much it wasn't working and the stupid thing said that I lost 5 lbs! Can you believe that! This stuff has the nerve to actually WORK, and I'm not really working that hard let me tell you. So I backed off the scale and decided that maybe I'm not so miffed at myself and slow and steady is the ONLY way to win this race. Besides, I don't have to pee on a swizzle stick, drink a shake of dirt water, or figure out a GD point. So I'm happy.

Happy day everyone!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:19 am

No diet will ever win me over by expecting me to pee on, in, or anywhere near a swizzle stick!!!! :lol:

Glad you lost 5 pounds Angela!!!!!!!
Yay!!!!!!!!
You are a rocking!!! :wink:
Love,
8) Deb