Tips for a newbie?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Echo

Tips for a newbie?

Post by Echo » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:03 am

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for a new person. I am a homeschooling mom so I am home more than some people and that is a big snacking downfall. The other thing I have a hard time with is wanting something sweet to eat in the evenings.....so hard, especially since I love to cook and bake and do so for part of my job. I clean houses and as a treat leave a few baked items, kind of my signature.

I did get motivated to go out and do the urban ranger thing (I guess, only discoverd all this a few days ago) and walked to the pet store with the kids for cat food. About a mile each way I would guess, maybe more. Also I still need to look up the way to do the exercises, I fell in love with the idea of shovelglove but am a little afraid of what it could do to my toes......I am a bit of a clutz. I moved 2.5 tons of pellets for our wood stove from the front of the carport around a tent trailer to the back, one 40 lb bag at a time the other day and after that told my husband that if more exercises were productive type ones I might do them more, as apposed to grinding away on an elliptical (which by looking at me you know I don't do :D )

Also until I can convince him my husband is a big snacker (with almost no weight prob.) any ways to help distract against the bad influences? I will probably try to start no s tomorrow (friday) and then really get going on monday. Any helpful words would be great thanks!! Its hard to see but it seems that people really have lost from this common sence method, if you feel like it please let me know your loss so far.

Thanks Echo

Looking for health and a smaller pants size!!
I have nothing of wit to say at the moment, but most people don't mind so much.

Inge

Post by Inge » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:50 am

Hi Echo! I too just started, though it's my second attempt. My first attempt failed because I grew uneasy with the simplicity, and my mind started drumming up problematic future scenarios ("What about your book club? That's always on THURSDAY!! Face it, these artificial constraints will never work...") Etc. I have a very chatty mind.

So this time, I'm taking it one day, one meal, one moment at a time. Not thinking too much about it. And putting the tired old story of "me and my big problem" behind me.

Also, a great tool is the daily check in board, where you can set up your own log of "days on plan". There's some great reading there, very inspirational and funny and enjoyable (especially if you're nosy about what others eat, as I am.)

Good luck tomorrow!!!

Inge

JWL

Post by JWL » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:35 am

Hi Echo!

I can totally relate; I'm a homeschooling dad! It's especially hard for me to do No-S because my daughter is a grazer. I do make meals and snacks for her during the day, but she's 8 now so she can get her own food much of the time. Typically what happens is that I cook the meals and eat them with her, but if she wants a snack she's on her own. If she needs help and asks, I'll help. But I had to retrain my thinking that just because she's eating, it doesn't mean I have to eat also.

I'm a bit of an anomaly since I eat 2 meals per day...

In terms of exercise: forget all about the gym and the elliptical. I used to do them both, but there are alternatives that work better for me. Walk walk walk, as I rediscovered tonight, esp if you can work up to walking briskly up steep hills. That will do more than the elliptical ever did.

Shovelgloving is a lot of fun. Start with an 8pound hammer. Experiment, do it outdoors at first if you can.

I also do a lot of hindu squats, and some other exercises that involve deep breathing and using your bodyweight. They are derived from yoga.

In short, stick to No-S, and find ways to move your body. The key is sustainability, not short-term results. Build new habits.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:01 pm

Hi Echo...welcome to the No-S program! I'm a homeschooling mom, too. This is our 16th and final year, and then I will have graduated both children. Pre-school through high school, what a wonderful adventure it has been!

I really struggled with the snacking thing, too. What helps me is decaf coffee and herbal teas, iced tea or an occasional diet soda. Instead of eating, drink!

Conquering the snack monster is tough, but if you stick with it, it gets easier and easier, and you will be really glad you have done it.

Post often. Accountability and support will go a long way toward helping you with success in the program.

Best wishes to you!

Echo

Post by Echo » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:25 pm

I am really looking to this to help me with the accountability, the idea that so many people seem to comment and keep track of others progress seems to me like it would be motivating! I plan on starting daily check-ins on Monday. Glad to hear there are some other homeschoolers here!! I am actually just starting out in my homeschooling journey, my dd is in 1st grade and son is kinda in K (according to officials he missed cut off by 5 days but by next year he is gonna be one smart homeschooler). So far doing ok on the snacks.....except in the evening, something I noticed was that even on drink seems to set off the sweets munchie monster!!! Thanks for the reply's and if I get bogged down homeschooling maybe I can talk to you about that too! :wink: (somewhere else of course)
I have nothing of wit to say at the moment, but most people don't mind so much.

Miss louann

Post by Miss louann » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:49 pm

Hi Echo, I also am fairly new to this. Less than a month. I also work from my home, with small children. I know the temptations well. One thing that has helped me is to give the kids their treats and then get rid of it or freeze it for a S day. that way I don't feel like I'm missing something. My husband is a diabetic, so he has to snack some. It doesn't seem to bother me so bad in the evenings, if I have fixed us a lovely meal and take the time to really enjoy it.example... Pretty placemats and napkins. relaxed atmosphere. Keep in touch. Louann

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:35 pm

Echo, I would LOVE to talk about homeschooling with you! There is an "Off Topic" thread around here someplace, so that would probably be a good place.

The snack monster is just like a playground bully: it talks and acts tough, but if you stand up to it, it will mostly just slink away.

planner lady

Post by planner lady » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:42 pm

I'm a homeschooler, too. Well, I was. I graduated my second and last last year. I homeschooled two from k-12th. It was a great experience for our family. I'm kind of sad it's over but ready to move on at the same time.

Patty