S. Michele's daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Michele

S. Michele's daily check in

Post by Michele » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:27 pm

Today was not as sucessful as I would have liked, but I can finish the day by not slipping up any more than I have. I go to school in the early evening, I am wondering if it would be bad to eat a small apple during class before I can get home to eat supper? Would this be considered cheating?

I try to drink plenty of water while I am at school, it lessens the hunger a little.
God bless and have a great day! 8)

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:03 pm

One of the great things about this plan is that it's perfectly alright to tweak it a little for you, if you feel you need to. Personally, I've always said that an apple or a raw carrot or some other small portion of fruit are acceptable, up to twice in a day if I really want / need them. They helped me a lot in the beginning before my sugar cravings lessened, and as I would have eaten them anyway along with lots of junky snacks, I couldn't see it being a problem.

Nowadays I'm still 'allowed' to eat up to 2 portions of fruit a day outside of my 3 meals according to my own version of NoS, but mostly I don't actually want or need to do this. Just the knowledge that I CAN, helps me. I suppose it's kind of giving myself another safety valve, another allowable way for 'controlled failure'. Afterall, if the alternative is emptying the vending machine of sweets in a short space of time, isn't it better just to eat an apple? :lol:

Of course, the classical version of the rules will tell you that you should eat the fruit 'instead of, not as well as' some other less healthy thing in your diet. Basically, whatever you decide will be fine, as long as you remain true to yourself and know where the boundries are. For me an apple is OK, but a pile of crackers or a bag of crisps is not. a raw carrot is fine, but even a small slice of carrot cake is not.

Good luck whatever you decide, and please let us know how it goes.
C.
CaroleJo

Michele

Check in

Post by Michele » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:27 pm

Well, class went pretty good. I guess the apple is a better choice than the bag of chips from the vending machine. I would feel worse eating the chips anyway than I would the apple. I made it through class with out dieing of hunger. And I think eating something small because its later around 7pm, is better than having a big meal, because I go to bed around 9, does this sound like a good idea?

Thanks for your help, I really apprieciate it. :)

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:50 am

You're welcome.

The other way to do this whilst trying to stick to the 1 plate = 1 meal, 3 meals a day format is to virtually plate your apple. Leave a space on your lunch plate that it would have fitted on and eat the apple later on.

C.
CaroleJo