Reinhard: Is it still OK for me to post?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Kathleen

Reinhard: Is it still OK for me to post?

Post by Kathleen » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:23 pm

Reinhard,
My diet just morphed into a cross between The No S Diet and Intuitive Eating. There is no way that I am returning to vanilla Intuitive Eating, but I am adding concepts from it to the framework of The No S Diet. This is your site. I wanted to make sure it was OK for me to continue posting here. Thanks.
Kathleen

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:27 pm

I'm not Reinhard, but I am POSITIVE that it is okay to post.

No S is not an "all or nothing" plan.
It looks to me like you value, and are using, some of the No S concepts,
while experimenting with your own personal modifications.
Reinhard has repeatedly told us that he supports this.

I love the No S Diet concepts, but I am not a "vanilla No S" person.
I count calories, and switch from food plan to food plan,
In my posts, I make certain that other Forum members know what I'm doing.
and I have always been welcomed here by Reinhard himself,
as well as by the majority of the other Forum members.

I enjoy reading your posts a great deal, Image
am looking forward to seeing you succeed at your goals,
and I would miss you greatly if you disappeared from the Forum.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:17 pm

Ditto to what BA said.

The only thing to watch (just as a courtesy) is that when you give advice, distinguish between what's No S and what's your personal add-on so that you don't confuse new people who are still learning. (But I'm sure you would do that anyway.)

I have complete confidence that R would welcome your continued participation. And I would HATE to see you leave after all this time! :)

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:12 pm

... and don't leave us! No S is the vanilla icecream base, and the other stuff we add are the sprinkles. :wink: I'm always changing the sprinkles, but the No S principles are always there too. It seems that Reinhard even encourages the sprinkles and gives us tips.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi Kathleen :)
I'm also sure Reinhard will be fine with this. He has always been an advocate of basically the *whatever works for you* philosophy and has mentioned in the past in various places that it's ok for people to combine NoS with other ways of eating. I'm sure that there's a lot of overlap with intuitive eating anyway..
I hope that your experience with NoS and the basic framework, will help the Intuitive eating style be perhaps a bit more defined, and I hope that they compliment each other well and you have much success!
ps... I read your recent post that you lost 20 lbs in a year.. That is fantastic!!! My first year on NoS, I failed a good deal, but I still ended up losing 17 lbs. Keep up the great work!!

8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:40 am

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your encouraging posts! I have tweaked this diet ever since I started, but now I think I'll be pulling a lot of ideas and concepts from Intuitive Eating. That's why I wanted to get Reinhard's OK.
Kathleen

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:21 pm

Kathleen,

I am Reinhard and of course I'm 100% fine with this :-)

Many, many posters here have combined no-s with other "diets" or ways of eating. One of the advantages of No-s is how readily it lends itself to this kind of combination.

Looking forward to reading more of your insightful posts now from this interesting new angle,

Reinhard

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:46 pm

Thank you!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:19 am

I don't have much to add, except I think No S would work quite well with Intuitive Eating. I'm venturing back to Vanilla No S for the time being so that I can drop the last of my holiday weight, but before I decided to go back to Vanilla No S, I was sort of combining No S with Intuitive Eating. I took a lot of my ideas from Naturally Thin: Unleash Your Skinny Girl (Bethenny Frankel), which also fits really well with Intuitive Eating. I just used the No S principles to help define how I ate. Usually, I ate three meals, but sometimes, I would eat two bigger meals and two mini meals. It depended on the day and how hungry I was that day.

ksbrowne

Post by ksbrowne » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi Kathleen and clarinetgal, I just wanted to add that I started my weight-loss with a program similar to Intuitive Eating. I used a book called I Can Make You Thin by Paul MacKenna and Diets Don't Work by Bob Schwarz. Both advocate eat-when-you're-hungry-stop-when-you're-full. I began losing weight. My appetite grew smaller and smaller as my stomach shrank. By listening to my body I slowly and naturally arrived at the 3 moderate meals a day, no snacks thing. It really worked and it was easy. I believe in the No-S Diet, but I think it's much easier to get there gradually, by listening to your body's hunger and fullness signals than by jumping in and doing Vanilla-S cold turkey.

Kathy

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:36 pm

It seems to me there is much common ground, not to mention common sense, between NoS and IE.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:18 pm

ksbrowne,

Your story is very interesting to me! I read Diets Don't Work probably 10 years ago and went through lots of books that were take-offs of that basic concept -- books like ThinTuition and The Weigh Down Diet. When I dived into Intuitive Eating, it was a disaster. I gained 10 pounds in six months, and the worst part was that my eating became more erratic rather than less erratic. I was constantly tummy gazing to try to determine my hunger level. Now, with The No S Diet, I could eat what I want but only at mealtimes, and the amount I eat at meals varies from day to day based on how much I feel like eating. I never limited myself to one plateful and sometimes even had a whole bowl of popcorn along with the meal. Finally, my over the top eating is subsiding, and I think the reason why might have to do with the fact that I am assured of eating as much as I want at the next meal.

Dandelion,

My return to Intuitive Eating lasted less than a week. When I started once again to try to rate my hunger, the result was a binge on Friday.

Unlike ksbrowne, my prior experience with Intuitive Eating was not positive: I did not naturally return to a three meal structure. Instead, I was eating more often and absolutely stuffing myself out of fear that it would be a long time before I experienced hunger again.

It's been 17 months since I started on The No S Diet, and my Exception Days are finally getting to be more reasonable. I don't have to rate my hunger or take a time out during eating to gauge hunger or try to make my eating more conscious as is suggested in Intuitive Eating. Instead, I just eat as much as I want. Finally, the amount I want to eat is lessening. I did buy Haagen Dazs bars today, and I had one.

I guess people react differently to different diets. The three meal structure, I think, does eventually lead to a person eating what they want at meals, and what they want is to satisfy hunger. For me, the path to eating to satisfaction was with The No S Diet rather than Intuitive Eating. Even combining The No S Diet with Intuitive Eating didn't work for me, so I'm back to a slightly modified The No S Diet.

Kathleen

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:18 am

I think I understand where Intuitive Eating fits in: I will follow The No S Diet for when I start to eat (at mealtimes on N Days) and for what I eat (no sweets on N Days), and I will follow Intuitive Eating for when I stop eating (after I've reached last bite threshold, which means when I'm satisfied). My approach is going to be a combination of the two approaches.
Kathleen

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:25 pm

Kathleen wrote: I will follow The No S Diet for when I start to eat (at mealtimes on N Days)
and for what I eat (no sweets on N Days),
and I will follow Intuitive Eating for when I stop eating (after I've reached last bite threshold,
which means when I'm satisfied).
My approach is going to be a combination of the two approaches.
Kathleen
I am interested in watching your experiment with this.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:59 pm

So am I.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:54 pm

I'm questioning the necessity of reaching last bite threshold. I think that what I'm doing is just not restricting how much I eat (no portion control). While my son (and BrightAngel!) see this as potentially self-deceptive ("magic diet", according to my son), I am placing trust in my body that I will eat the amount that makes me feel best, which is the philosophy behind Intuitive Eating. Intuitive Eating has the philosophy that you should eat as soon as you feel hunger. That did not work well for me because I always felt hungry and would eat a ton when I did feel hungry because I wasn't sure when I would next feel hungry. I'll eat at meals and eat the amount I want. If it does result in the loss of a lot of weight, this would be a really easy diet to follow for life.
Kathleen

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:35 pm

It sounds like you're doing pretty well so far. Definitely keep us posted on how you're doing.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:59 pm

Kathleen,

Thanks for the update!

My issue with IE is that because of bad habits, I think most of our intuitions about food have become pretty corrupted. They may have been reliable once (though I'm not sure they were ever really good enough to deal with the problem of modern superabundance), but they aren't anymore.

Where I think IE and No-s can mesh is that No-s doesn't simply ignore your intuitions, like many other diets, but rather it retrains them. Sure, no-s starts with explicit rules, but it winds up at the level of intuition. If you stick with the no-s rules, your intuitions start to become repaired. They'll start to coincide with the no-s rules. They may never overlap 100%, but I think, in time, they'll become pretty darn close.

This is very different from substance accounting diets, which may be effective as long as you're paying careful attention, but are never going to become intuitive.

Reinhard

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:55 pm

That's very interesting, Reinhard, and it makes sense. I know for me, I can definitely feel my intuition more and more the longer I stick with No S. I'm much more in tune with the foods my body wants and needs, and I'm finding that the foods my body really wants now are healthier things like fruits and rice and veggie dishes.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:13 am

Reinhard,

My big problem with IE (other than weight gain!) was that I was eating when I felt hunger, which did not coincide with mealtime, and the result was my eating was disrupting our family. The No S retraining, for me, seems to be that I feel hungry now at mealtime and not at other times because I'm pre-disapproved, as you put it in your book! Since very early, I have allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted at a meal so long as I didn't go back for seconds -- the IE "unconditional permission to eat".

It chilled me when our archbishop, at our son's confirmation Mass earlier this month, preached about how "You are what you do with your body." He was referring to sexual immorality, but I sat there thinking about the abuse I have heaped on my body with will intentioned efforts to tame my appetite through conventional dieting. There's something much more respectful towards my body in how I am eating today. And, yes, I now want to eat foods that are good for me. It took lots of weekends of eating lots of caramel macademian clusters and Haagen Dazs bars for me to get to that point, but I'm there now! The diet is working, and the success is measured in much more than pounds lost. I've got my life back! Thank you!!!

Kathleen