An amazing concept

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Shameless Hussey

An amazing concept

Post by Shameless Hussey » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:17 pm

This amazing concept actually came to me on my very first "N" day.

I was wondering what I would place on my single plate for dinner, and I realized that I could eat anything I wanted without calorie accounting.

I can eat what I want. Wow! I can cook from a real cookbook.

Today, I am boxing up all my "diet" cookbooks, diet inspirational books, diet program books. I am not confident enough to send them to recycling yet, but I am putting a date on them. If I haven't opened the box in that set span of time, out they go!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:08 pm

Good for you!!! :D

navin

Post by navin » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:25 pm

Today, I am boxing up all my "diet" cookbooks, diet inspirational books, diet program books. I am not confident enough to send them to recycling yet, but I am putting a date on them. If I haven't opened the box in that set span of time, out they go!
Or give them to a library. They'd be great in the "history" section. :)
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:34 pm

Hello you Shameless Hussey (love the name! LOL)

Before I got rid of all my DIEt books I wrote "www.nosdiet.com" inside the front of each book. It made me feel better to know that while I was passing along a diet book it also contained a message of hope.

Liberating to toss them isn't it?

Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:37 pm

Good for you!
It is such a great reason to be on NOS....
Like Reinhard said, there's, for all intensive purposes, an "infinite" number of different types of foods to eat...
Why should we exclude any of them
(except Nathans famous "arsenic sauce sandwiches" ala The Grinch Song)
Today I had two "grandma" style slices of pizza for lunch...
They fit perfectly on a plate!
Ah... Delish!

Have fun you Huzzy!
LOL...
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

mondurvic

You're braver than I am

Post by mondurvic » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:25 am

I have SO MANY diet books and programs and charts and CD's, but I'm afraid to get rid of them.

Not to mention over 100 cookbooks, though I hate to cook and hardly ever do.

I've had a professional organizer in the past week, and we got rid of so many things, but I never even steered her toward the books. The money I've put into them makes them feel like an investment - although I've made bad investments before.

Maybe I should toss one book every 21 days that I'm Nossing, though even the thought makes me shiver. Any theories that would explain this?

I have a friend who believes she owns almost every diet book ever written, and she lost them all during Katrina!

Judith

Shameless Hussey

Post by Shameless Hussey » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:52 am

cvmom wrote:Before I got rid of all my DIEt books I wrote "www.nosdiet.com" inside the front of each book.
Dru, that is inspired! I will do the same!

mondurvic wrote:I have SO MANY diet books and programs and charts and CD's, but I'm afraid to get rid of them.

I have a fear that when I die, my heirs will find all my diet books!

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:01 pm

I guess the diet books are just like any other 'prop'. You might not actually need them, but you feel like you do, so you don't want to let them go. I felt like that about my childhood soft toys! In the end, my sister took my toys to the charity shop for me and I took hers. There's still a dozen or so I'm not prepared to part with, but at least I no longer have a whole mountain of them.

Actually, having so many diet books *must* be counterproductive. I mean, I bet they contradict themselves over and over, right?
It's like that saying, "a man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with 2 watches is never entirely sure"
Well, a person with one diet programme to stick to knows what and when they should eat. A person with hundreds of diet books is only going to get confused.

I'll tell you what I'd do. I'd write www.nosdiet.com in the front of them, give them to someone else and tell them to donate them / give them away etc so you have no idea where they went. I'd also instruct them not to give them back to me under ANY circumstances and in fact to get rid of them anyoldhow as quickly as possible so that there's no chance I will be able to have them back. I bet you won't even MISS them when they're gone. Afterall, it's not as if you could actually EAT any of them is it? :lol:

....hmmm. I wonder what they would taste like? I wonder if they would taste somehow different depending on the style of the regime they advocate.... There's a bizzare concept!!
CaroleJo

peetie

Post by peetie » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:54 pm

Judith,
My theory is that you aren't completely sure yet that you have found the answer, and until you do, you are hedging your bets. It's the same reason I kept my "fat" clothes in the closet for so long. Just recently I FINALLY came to believe that I am going to actually not need them again, and let them go. But with all the yo yoing the diet world has provided me with, I just couldn't believe, til recently, that those days were TRULY gone.

I moved all my diet books into the garage. I consider it my "half way house" for diet books. The next step will be donating them to the library, but love Dru's little hint in the front cover.

And, yes, they DO contradict eachother. They HAVE TO in order to sell books. Gotta say something different. No matter that it doesn't work in the long haul! Desparate dieters will buy just about anything....I speak from experience!

Peetie

mondurvic

Diet books

Post by mondurvic » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:58 am

It is true that I am not yet sure that I will never use them again (or worse, buy new ones). This is still too new. Also, for all that I say it's OK with me if I don't lose weight, I don't know how I'll really feel if I don't. I'm in no rush - if I got 20, even 12 pounds a year, I'd be content.

Question: I see the doctor on Monday, which means I may get weighed. Should I allow myself to be weighed, even though it's not 21 days yet? By then, I will have been on no S 11 days. Not very long, plus Monday is after two S-days. Not that I took advantage of them last week.

I don't want to think or make any decisions.

Judith

snazzybabe

Post by snazzybabe » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:40 am

I don't think diet books are to blame for our lack of control when eating. We are the ones that wanted a quick fix so obviously the market was flooded with all types of diets.
With NoS you can eat whatever you like but doesn't anybody want to get healthy too? I think GJ has the right idea considering white bread as a sugar. Anyway, just my personal opinion.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:51 am

Judy...
For someone who doesn't want to think or make decisions you sure think alot! LOL...
The 21 days on habit says nothing about not weighing during this time..
Why don't you see how you feel that day?
It's only one day, and one weigh in...
You decide!
LOL..
Love,
8) Deb

(just don't eat a whole package of mushy lox the day before... LOL...)