Protein Bars/ Power Bars?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

demonic_angel3

Protein Bars/ Power Bars?

Post by demonic_angel3 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:13 pm

Hey, I have a question about eating Protein/power bars during the day. I am an avid weightlifter, rock climber and water polo player- combine that with being a vegitarian for the last 5 years, and you will find I need lots of protein, especially after a hard workout. I know that you stated that the bars can be detrimental because they are hard to account for, but if they were limited to one a day, would that be appropriate? What about alternate forms of muscle recovery, gatorade and powerade for example. Do those fall under an S?
-Anne

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:20 am

Hey there Dem-Angel!
I think the two main considerations are:

1. How much of this bar is Sugar based?
2. Are you eating this as a meal or just a snack, which would make it an S.

As for Gatorade... You can get something else, I think it's called Smart Balance or something like that, which is from the Glacieu company..
It's water with the electrolytes added and no sweetners..
Gatorade is better than soda, as it's only about 5O calories for an 8 oz glass... But chances are, if you're so active, you may wind up consuming three or four glasses of it in a workout...

I hope I'm not being a hypocrite or anything, as the amount of sugar and soymilk in my coffee would probably be the same as that and I have about 3 cups of coffee a day... LOL..

I just steer clear of Soda, Sweetened ice teas or lemonades, and other liquid S's, like Frappucinos...

Good luck!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:15 am

Hi Demonic Angel Anne,

If you eat it with a meal, and they aren't actually just cleverly branded candy bars/sugar soda, you can indulge with a clear no-s conscience. Though I suspect you may have a problem on both counts...

That being said, if you work out that avidly, you might be able to afford a stretcher or two. The trick is being honest with yourself about whether that is indeed the case, and then keeping it limited. It's fine with me if you use no-s as a point of inspiration for a more personalized system.

Best of luck, whatever you decide,

Reinhard