Urban Rangering shoes?

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
JWL

Urban Rangering shoes?

Post by JWL » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:40 am

I want to ask people for recommendations for good urban rangering shoes. I'm a big guy, and when I walk I'm hard on my feet. The thing is, when I have good shoes I can walk pretty much as long as I want without getting too tired. Most of my rangering is in fact urban, though I do occasionally take hikes in nature (probably 10% of my total rangering).

I was recently given a pair of boots from LL Bean that are too big and will need to be returned. I wrote about it in my log, but wanted to duplicate it here for others' input.

The thing is, I'm thinking of returning them for something other than boots. I have a pair of good LL Bean boots that are 4 years old, quite worn but very comfy and still serviceable. So I think I'm going to save those boots for those few occasions when I really need boots (ie, snow that hasn't yet been plowed, hiking on muddy trails, etc), and get a pair of really good Urban Rangering shoes.

Here are the contenders:

LL Bean Mountain Tread Low-cuts. These are the updated, low-cut version of my boots, and are the safe option.

Merrell Chameleons also look interesting, though they aren't available in wide. These also have Gore-Tex, which is nice to have in Maine for the winter. There is also a version of those sans GoreTex.

What I think I will do is go to the LLBean store, try on the merrells, see if I like them and if they fit well, and compare them to the mountain treads.

Anyone have any suggestions for good urban rangering shoes?
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:09 pm

I'm fond of tevas, but they might not be so ideal for wandering around in the tick infested woods.

Reinhard

JWL

Post by JWL » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:25 pm

Hi Reinhard, yeah Tevas are awesome. I have a pair and they are definitely my summer shoes. I wear them as late into the year as possible, to be sure.... with thick socks I can pretty much wear them until it starts snowing, which is all-too-soon in Maine....

This inquiry is for my winter shoes....
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

navin

Post by navin » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:40 pm

As far as shoes, I've had good luck with New Balance walking and/or running shoes. I don't have any good recommendations for boots though - I still have yet to find a pair I actually like...
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:25 am

I've been wondering about shoes, too. Walking boots are good in the countryside, but for city walking I need more cushioning.

Please could anyone advise? Would running shoes be appropriate for walking?
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:27 pm

I have to say I think the most comfortable pair of shoes I have ever owned are my current pair of Dr. Martens boots. I had wanted a pair all through my youth and finally got a pair as an adult. I will say they were HELL to break in, but now they fit me like gloves. I am sorry they are starting to wear out.

As for walking, I am personally thinking of going the opposite route. I am seriously considering picking up a pair of Vibram five fingers: http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

For me the price is a bit high and being a bit self conscious is an issue, but the supposed health benefits are drawing me to them.

I am also considering spending as much time barefoot as I can.

Call me wacko. I know it.

Edit: Just to answer the above question, in my (limited online) research, shoes marketed for walking and for jogging are supposedly different in design due to the difference in gait and the body mechanics between the motions of walking and jogging. If you are going to walk, you are "supposed to" get a "walking" shoe, and if you are going to jog or run, you are "supposed to" get a "running" shoe. Even then, different shoes are marketed as designed towards different people depending on their "pronation" or some such. It has been a while since I was poking around about it.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:46 pm

I buy $10 sneakers at Wal-Mart. I am a Bad Consumer.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:01 am

The folks at my local running store told me that running shoes are fine for walking. I've been using them and I have no complaints.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:04 pm

I have decent hiking boots for trail walking, but I do most of my day-to-day walking in my neighborhood running errands or window-shopping, and I want to wear reasonably cute, light shoes. My solution has been Sketchers -- super-comfy and light, and they provide enough support for the type of walking I'm doing on paved sidewalks.

I think the most important thing is GOOD SOCKS! My mom sent me ridiculously high-end wool hikers' socks, and it's like having your foot floating in a cloud.

kwidener7

Post by kwidener7 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:24 am

Finnigan,

I have recently gotten into running and have been doing tons of research on the subject and shoes. Most of the latest research has been saying that shoes are awful for our feet.

So after some debate, I decided to buy a pair of the Vibram Five Fingers. I got them on Friday and took them out for a walk on Saturday and I'm loving them so far. I'm not confident enough to run in them yet, I have kind of flat feet and I want to build up my foot muscles first. But I already am feeling like my shoes are too restrictive.

It was really a lot of fun to feel the different textures and hardness and softness of the different areas. I even enjoyed walking on the sidewalk and could feel the temperature difference between grass, sandy areas, and concrete. And I didn't have to worry about scrapping or cutting up my feet. :D

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:10 am

I spend all summer in Vibrams. Get funky looks on occassion, but last summer they took me over and around the Redwoods.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:42 pm

Thank you very much for your advice, Finnigan, NoelFigart, Spudd, Thalia, kwidener7 and Over43. I had some shoes fitted at a running shop yesterday and also bought good socks, so I'll see how I get on with them.

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:24 pm

Best of luck Too solid! I think I am a way s off from doing any running.

Thanks also for the comments on the Vibrams. I'm pretty set on getting a pair, it might just have to wait until my BDay/Christmas.

I did walk a good bit the other day barefoot (maybe 3/10 of a mile, then put sneakers on for the rest of the mile). It made my calf muscles quite sore.

As for my soles, smooth pavement was fine, but I got to older pavement that was very rough, then opted for the grass at the side of the walk. Eventually this turned to stones and I went back to the shoes.

baby steps.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu May 20, 2010 7:19 pm

Thank you all for the advice. The combination of well fitted shoes and good socks is wonderful. I can do a lot of walking with no discomfort in my joints, which is great.