Swamp Duck's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Swamp Duck

Swamp Duck's Daily Check-In

Post by Swamp Duck » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:54 pm

Rock ON! I promised myself I would quit lurking around NoSLand and actually commit to posting online for at least 21 days. I'm in love with the NoS Concept, and have been trying to stick to it with not so much luck. (I actually work at a Cookie shop... and one of the perks is that we can have all the cookies we want... any time we want them. yikes!! you can imagine.) I really really reaaaally hope that journaling online, rather than just in my own notes will revitalize my committment to balance and wise habits. So, it's almost dinnertime now, and today has been S-ed beyond repair. I will be back tomorrow to report on an anticipated day 1 of SUCCESS.
Last edited by Swamp Duck on Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:08 am

Welcome, Swamp duck. Cookie shop worker... that'll be tough, but very impressive. If online journaling seems awful to you, remember that you only have to do it for 21 (successful) days. Use your aversion as extra incentive.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:35 am

Every day, bring a cookie home. Put in a zip-loc bag and store someplace out of sight. Enjoy yourself on your two s-days each week!

PS. Welcome. Glad you're here!

Swamp Duck

Day One: Ate great, feel great

Post by Swamp Duck » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:36 pm

Day 1 SUCCESS

Reinhard and Jan, thanks so much for your replies! Wow... it actually really does make a difference knowing that there are some like-minded folks out there wishing you luck. Thanks for the encouragement.

- cereal & 2%
- 2 green apples with peanut butter & a bunch of Ritz crackers
- shared a Tombstone pizza with the huz + sm. salad

Only a small amount of funny business to report. The apples and the crackers weren't eaten in the same sitting -- though I counted them together as "lunch" today. I really don't trust myself with "virtual plating" yet. I'm going to try to stay away from that in these first few weeks.

About to take a 20-30 minute stroll. Just got The Lovely Bones on audio, looking forward to walking & listening.

Also -- Jan, I hope you love your new job! I work at a small, locally owned place too... and I adore it. It's a totally different experience working at a place with soul. Good Luck!
- LAUREN

Michele

Post by Michele » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:07 am

WOW to work in a cookie shop would be a job of a lifetime for me! of course being around all those cookies would be very hard as well. Just keep focused on your goal and remind yourself of your dreams and goals whenever you can. You can do it. :)

Have a great day.
Last edited by Michele on Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swamp Duck

Post by Swamp Duck » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:58 am

Day 2 SUCCESS

- 2 packets instant oatmeal
- green salad & a scoop of egg salad
- jasmine rice and green bean casserole

funny stuff: some definite taste testing while cooking, but not bad

Sister Michele -- thanks for your nice words! Are you a teacher?

Michele

Post by Michele » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:12 am

No I'm not a teacher,
Hey, tomorrow is friday... how much do you charge for shipping those cookies? :wink:

Never mind.
Have a great day. Michele
Last edited by Michele on Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swamp Duck

Post by Swamp Duck » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:34 am

Day 3 SUCCESS

- grape nuts & soy milk
- provolone and veggie sandwich, pickles
- 2 spring rolls, 1/2 restaurant portion of pad thai

Funny Stuff: Two post pad thai fortune cookies. I think I justified them in the moment due to feeling of special virtuousness for splitting the pad thai. However, compared to my pre-NoS indulgences, I don't feel like the fortune cookies were enough to merit starting the 21 days over... But I probably should have turned them down, just to really grind that habit in. Hmmm... overall felt it was a pretty good day.

Swamp Duck

Post by Swamp Duck » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:29 am

Day 4: S Day
Day 5: S Day

Day 6: Success!
- 2 packets oatmeal
- sm. bowl soup, 2 slices toast with cheese & tomatoes
- grapefruit juice, bowl w/lettuce, black beans, tuna, oil & vinegar, yogurt

Swamp Duck

Post by Swamp Duck » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:21 am

Day 7: Semi-Success

- grape nuts & soy milk
- cheese & veggie sandwich, some cashews, a few cold veggies & sauce
- juice, BLT & tortilla chips and salsa*

*didn't put the chips and salsa actually on the plate... I think I ended up eating more than what would have looked reasonable on the plate -- a good reminder of the importance, for me, of putting everything on the plate rather than visually winging it... didn't go crazy though -- I still consider the day a success.

Have been noticing some headaches and fatigue before dinner lately. It's not exactly hunger -- but it definitely makes me want to snack. I'm hoping it will go away naturally as I adjust to the snackfree way... I'm trying to keep drinking lots of water.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:06 am

The headache could be sugar-withdrawal, or some other 'body detoxing' side effect. It could also be a mild dehydration. Are you drinking enough water each day?

It will almost certainly go away in time. If it doesn't, you could consider eating a single piece of fruit mid-afternoon to balance out your blood-sugar levels. If your body is telling you that this is the way to go for you, it's perfectly allowed to 'tweak' the rules a bit.

It's looking great though. All these SUCCESSES! Fantastic effort.

C.
CaroleJo

Swamp Duck

Post by Swamp Duck » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:31 am

Day 8: Success

- apple, baby carrots, bowl of romaine w/oil & vin
- sauteed artichoke, sundried toms, spinach w/a piece of foccaccia
- romaine w/oil & vin, WW pasta with butter & parmesan (also snuck
some bites of hub's pasta), grapefruit juice

tea w/soy milk throughout the day

Great day! I'm trying to work toward regularly having the recommended "five a day," and this is the first time I've been able to do it in a while. I always feel so much better when I do.

Swamp Duck

Post by Swamp Duck » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:57 am

Day 9: Success

- grape nuts with soy milk, V8
- sesame bagel with a scoop of chicken curry salad, 5 ritz, lettuce and tom
- schlotszky's chipotle chicken -- sm size

Great on portion sizes today. Felt good.

Swamp Duck

Post by Swamp Duck » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:02 am

Day 10: S Day
Day 11: S Day

Whew -- Sunday night, these last two S Days were much more balanced and reasonable than my S Days last week, so that feels pretty good. I can definitely tell that my "full-o-meter" is more sensitive after 5 days of eating sensible no-seconds style meals. We went to a Mexican restaurant, where I would normally go way overboard, but today I felt really tuned in to when I needed to put down the fork. Went on a great walk today too. I really love this NoS plan. Best of both worlds.

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:18 am

Swamp Duck wrote:Day 8: Success

Great day! I'm trying to work toward regularly having the recommended "five a day," and this is the first time I've been able to do it in a while. I always feel so much better when I do.
Oh, it's a habit that is well worth cultivating. Since making sure I get at lest five a day my skin, hair and nails are fantastic, I'm never hungry after a meal and, um, certain digestive problems have lessened. It's at the stage now where I don't feel I've eaten a "proper" dinner unless I have some sort of vegetable on the plate. Even traditionally meaty meals can be vegged up with shredded carrots, or quartered mushroom and if I have home-made soup I find I'm having 8 or 9 portions a day without even thinking about it. Being about a week behind you on the No S I'll be following your progress with interest.

Swamp Duck

Post by Swamp Duck » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:06 am

Ahhh! Finally back online after a three day bout with spotty wireless! Ang_grrr -- if you're checking in... thanks for the comment! I completely agree, the five-a-day thing is practically life changing. I'm still at the stage though, where if I don't make a really conscious effort to include the good stuff I'll look back on my day and realize I've chosen all starchy bready things. I'm trying to really make it a habit, as it sounds like you've done. (Congrats on starting NoS, by the way, and on committing to the 21 day thing!)

Alright, down to biz

Day 12: Success
- just V8 for breakfast today (totally unheard of)
- kidney beans, spring mx, yogurt, oil&vinegar
- red apple, bowl of All-bran with soy, rye crisp crackers with neufchatel
bizarre food choices today, but really satisfying. pretty good workout.

Day 13: Success
- 2 pkts oatmeal
- BLT, grapefruit juice
- 2 sm. slices pizza, spring mix
great workout

Day 14: Semi Success
- yogurt, 2 slices sourdough toast w/butter, V8
- chips, carrots, white bean hummus, grapefruit juice
- tofu "cutlets" with awesome mushroom marsala sauce (marginal "seconds" situation at this dinner)
okay workout

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:36 am

Swamp Duck wrote: I'm still at the stage though, where if I don't make a really conscious effort to include the good stuff I'll look back on my day and realize I've chosen all starchy bready things.
Mmmmm. Starchy bread things.

Your food for the past few days sounds lovely but I don't think I could eat V8 for breakfast!