My "Mods"

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

burghermeisster

My "Mods"

Post by burghermeisster » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:18 pm

Since I have a significant amount of weight to lose (100lbs) and since my eating was completely out of control, starting straight vanilla No S was a scary prospect. My mod is essentially the gradual integration of the forbidden "esses" one by one, for 21 days each, until total compliance.

The first habit I developed was no eating - none at all - after 8PM. This is sort of a time-limited No Snacking mod for 21 days. Next, I focused on eliminating all snacks throughout the day...I was still eating some seconds/sweets, but just at three discrete meal times. Again, 21 days.

Once I was practicing "no snacks" regularly, I moved on to adding "no sweets". This was relatively painless as I found I could wait for my S days for these sweet treats, but I did this 21 days until I moved on to....

"No Seconds"...by the time I was at this point, I had learned felt much more in control of my cravings, my eating in general. I was generally more mindful about a lot of things. So.... No Seconds has come pretty easily and I am just at 21 days of total No S!

I LOST 34 POUNDS since that first evening with no snacks!!!! Though I've only been doing COMPLETE NO S for 3 weeks, I have been modifying my behavior and developing good habits for just 12 weeks. I haven't tried much in terms of exercise, just walking for a bit after dinner, but that will be next.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:07 pm

Congratulations. I burn with envy at how fast you're losing, but am delighted that you are doing so well.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:43 pm

Wow, that's fantastic! Congratulations--and keep up the great habit-building work!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:48 pm

I'm thrilled to hear it -- not just for your sake (though that's plenty) but also because proceeding "one S at a time" seems so sensible but until now I haven't heard any evidence that it works. I updated the section on the home page about this with a link to this discussion.

Reinhard

goldbru47

Post by goldbru47 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks for the post. I, too, am new beginning today. Best of luck to you and "to us". Have a great weekend. :)

donnao

thank you !

Post by donnao » Sat May 01, 2010 4:23 pm

i am so glad that you shared this !!

it is exactly what i needed to hear !

i added 3 regular meals as a first step to my seriously disordered/ erratic eating a while back, and was wondering what would be the next right thing for me to do..

and thru you, my HP has answered my question

bless you, and thank you for sharing

Donna O

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun May 02, 2010 5:42 am

You're doing great! I love your approach! I've been sort of doing No S off and on since last year, and I sitll haven't quite been able to get to Vanilla No S. I've conquered the No Snacks and No Seconds, but the No Sweets is still a tough one for me. Maybe I'll try it in more gradual steps like you, and see if that will eventually help me to conquer the No Sweets rule.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:34 pm

Thanks for sharing this, I'm reading this for the 2nd time and its so encouraging!! I'm going to send this to my friend who's having trouble. An update on how you're doing would be great if you have a chance!
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

confusionisnext

Post by confusionisnext » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:40 pm

Sweetness wrote:An update on how you're doing would be great if you have a chance!
I second that!