Inspiration - Fred Anderson

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ariel King

Inspiration - Fred Anderson

Post by Ariel King » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:17 pm

Some of you may have heard of this guy already, but I just wanted to post a link to his story because he lost 175 lbs, a few years ago, using measures based on the same philosophy as NoS - plus exercise of course. Though he didn't do NoS specifically, I find him to be a fantastic example of the power of common sense.

http://journal.vituperation.com/bp.php? ... 20710.html

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:40 pm

I like the idea of contributing weight in pounds lost in equivalent weight of canned or packaged foods to the local food shelf! No-S: Good for us, good for others, too!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:11 am

Thanks for posting this, Ariel. It sounds pretty no-s-like, including an exempt day. I'm always encouraged when I read about independent discoveries like this.

The charity part is a nice touch. There can be something so self absorbed about self improvement. Giving it a generous, outward component helps balance this, and I think it some weird way, drives it forward. It's morally "natural," right, and satisfying that even the most personal virtue should help others. In a a world of scarcity (most of the world for most of history, including today), restraint is generous in straightforward way: what you don't eat needier others will. In our age of seemingly infinite excess, it takes a little conscious effort to make it so, but not all that much.

I used to spend a lot of change on vending machines. Obviously not something one can continue to do on no-s. Now I just throw it in a pot and once a year dump the whole thing into a coinstar machine for a charitable donation. Instead of junk for someone who really doesn't need it, it's nutritious food for someone who desperately does. It's not a fortune, but it's been over a hundred dollars each year. Besides this direct good, and the significant reduction in personal temptation of changeless pockets, I've found that even little acts of charity like this serve as important attention building exercises: most people give less than they could/should not because they are misers, but because they simply don't remember. And what better way of being reminded than by the jangling of your own charity cup? You don't get defensive, your first reaction isn't to concoct excuses as to why you can't afford to give, instead you think, "gee, I'm generous. This is a nice feeling... you know, I could do more."

I posted this as a little everyday "subsystem" a while ago, called donate your spare calories
Last edited by reinhard on Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:32 pm

I really like the "donating spare calories" idea. Sounds like a great way to cut back on the self-absorbedness of self-improvement, and help shift the focus a little toward others, even as you're doing good things for yourself. What a great strategy.