Heidi's daily check in....

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

~hf

Heidi's daily check in....

Post by ~hf » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:10 am

Day 1

Success
Last edited by ~hf on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~hf

Post by ~hf » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:53 pm

Day 2 S day Sat

Day 3 S day Sun

Heidi

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:10 pm

Welcome to the board & the plan!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

~hf

Post by ~hf » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:44 am

Thanks for the welcome. :-)

Day 4 Monday Success Seriously considered taking an S day. I was feeling really bad AF arrived for her visit but I decided being fat felt much worse than my cramps. :wink:

Day 5 Tues. Success but still feel crappy

Heidi

~hf

Post by ~hf » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:13 pm

Day 6 S Day New Years Eve

Whew, I needed that one.

~hf

Post by ~hf » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:59 pm

Day 7 New Years Day Fail

But I'm ok with that. I made a thoughtful choice to eat one piece of chocolate cake with a small glass of milk.

My disabled 14yo daughter had been struggling to make that cake all day and had to make it twice because the first one was ruined because she misread the recipe complete with a 15 minute crying jag. I felt so bad for her so I helped her to make another and then enjoyed a piece with the whole family while we told her how wonderful it turned out, so moist and so on.

It was worth the red day to build her back up. :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:47 pm

Hello Heidi :)
I hope your daughter felt better once you both enjoyed her cake :)
Continued good luck.
Seems you are off to a great start!

8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

~hf

Post by ~hf » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:13 am

She's feeling much better about the cake now, thank you.

Day 8 Success

Day 9 S Day

Day 10 S Day

Heidi

Marjolein

Post by Marjolein » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:05 am

I love reading posts like this one. It is a great motivator for me.

Marjolein

~hf

Post by ~hf » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:53 am

Day 11 Mon. Success

I really over did it over the weekend, but hey, they were S days! :D I was really happy to see Monday coming back around though.

Heidi

~hf

Post by ~hf » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:41 pm

Day 12 Success! Tues

This was a real victory. I had family court today which is always very stressful. Unfortunately it's my home away from home, and no I'm not an attorney...Just a lot of fighting over my kids. Very sad. Anyway yesterday was particularly bad and my first thought was to call it an S day and lick my wounds...

Before, I've compared my current pains against the pain of being fat and which ever hurt the most won.

Well, I decided that even though the pain of being stolen from and finding out my ex has embessled (sp?) my disabled daughters insurance money to the tune of over $400,000 (and now the hospital is holding me personally responsible for the balance) hurts worse today than being fat, it will be easier to beat his ass when I'm in shape!

So it was a successful N day

Heidi

la_loser

You go girl!

Post by la_loser » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:29 pm

You go girl. . . I am sorry for your trials--but proud for you despite yesterday's nastiness; you were strong and were able to make a positive spin on handling this better when you're in shape--emotionally as well as physically!

Good luck to you and your kids.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:43 pm

Oh Heidi...I am so sorry you are in the middle of such stress! Let's all get really fit & go after him all in a herd! We can take him....we really can.

Hugs to you...janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

~hf

Post by ~hf » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:00 am

Thanks guys...

Day 13 success Wed.

still not feeling great today, headache and all but a no S success!

Heidi

~hf

Post by ~hf » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:36 am

Day 14 Success Thursday

~hf

Post by ~hf » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:29 pm

Day 14 Success Friday

Day 15 S day

Day 16 S day

Day 17 Success Monday

Felt really good today. My clothes are fitting a little better and I had a spring in my step.

Heidi

~hf

Post by ~hf » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:24 am

It's been a while but I'm back on track. I was feeling really ill for a few months and it was so hard to cook and keep up with my kids. Turns out I have fibromyalgia. I feel a lot better under Dr's care so I'm back!

Day 1 Success Friday

Day 2 S day

Day 3 S day

Day 4 Success and I'm going straight to bed to keep it that way!!

Heidi

~hf

Post by ~hf » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:47 pm

Starting over again, ugh. I've successfully dieted myself up into a 2X :evil:

Enough is enough. I'm stepping back into the ring and I plan on getting 21 days under my belt...

June 1 & 2 failure

But today is a new day. I've marked 'em and I'm moving on.

See you all tomorrow.

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:47 am

And your next check-in will be green. Welcome back!
Mimi
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

~hf

Post by ~hf » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:42 pm

I did it! I'm late posting it but, I kept it green!

Day 1 Success Wed.

Day 2 Success Thurs.

Not even tempted today. I'm sort if in the dumps but in a different way. usually I just want to lay around and eat...today I just want to lay around. Snacking isn't even appealing to me. Took my 6yos to buy some cookies a few minutes ago and I wasn't even tempted to ask him to share one with me...so I'm thinking today (day3) will be green but I'm going to wait till tomorrow to post about it.

Already noticing that I don't feel so bloated...

~hf

Post by ~hf » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:16 am

Day 3 Success Fri

Day 4 S Day Sat

Day 5 S Day Sun

Day 6 S Day Mon, my son's birthday

Tomorrow it's back to business as usual.

~hf

Post by ~hf » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:12 pm

Tues Failure

Wed. Failure

I'm not dealing well with stress. For whatever reason when I have a bad day or get some bad news (which right now is practicall everyday) I don't handle it well and I blow No S. I guess I need to figure out some coping techniques. Suggestions anyone, please

~hf

Post by ~hf » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:23 pm

Thurs. Failure

Friday Failure

Sat S day

Sun S day

Monday starts a new week and a chance for me to get some green days under my belt (if they will fit after this horrible week I've had :oops: )

I really want 21 days on habit. I want in the club!!! hehe

Have a good weekend everyone. See you on Monday!

Heidi

~hf

Post by ~hf » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:18 am

Monday success Day 1

Tuesday success Day 2

Wednesday...Day 3....to be determined.....I allowed 1 S occasion today (Wednesday) because I was taking my 6yos on a long awaited mother/son date. If I skip the Ses for the rest of the day and truely limit my Ses to that date I will call today a success. It's only 5:30 and we still have dinner and my dreaded evening/late night time to go but, so far so good!

Counting down my 21 days on plan.

~hf

Starting over again..

Post by ~hf » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:49 pm

Well, I had to use the search function to find my daily check in thread because I has been Sooooo long since I last posted that it was buried! I'm starting over again! I have decided that the No S diet is not mutually exclusive. It is compatible with any way of eating that I might some day gravitate towards. No S is the starting line for my health life, anything else that I pick up along the way is just a bonus...so here I go!

Day 1 S day!! Sunday...going to bake something and enjoy the hell out of it because tomorrow it's back to business!

~hf

Post by ~hf » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:34 pm

Well, I'll make this short. I'm starting over *again* today. I'm getting really sick of saying that so hopefully this will be the last time. I acutally decided Friday night that I would suck it up and give it another go so today is day #3.

I did end up buying a scale so I weighed in today. I'm glad I did as I weighed in about 15 pounds less than I actually thought I weighed. That was a real morale boost! :D

So here goes. I'll try to post tonight...

~hf

Post by ~hf » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:55 am

Today went well.

Day 3 Success!

I am *very* tired though so I'm turning in early, well, actually, on time. :roll:

~hf

Post by ~hf » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:30 pm

Well, I guess I shouldn't have called this a daily check in since I rarely make it here everyday. That being said, I'm getting along well this time around!

This should be a link to the public view of my habitcal...did it work?

http://everydaysystems.com/habitcal/vie ... ofexercise

Heidi

~hf

Post by ~hf » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:29 am

still plugging along, not perfect but still, I'm doing ok.

No S success
exercise...I let myself off the hook since I've had a really rough day. My truck broke down twice today. First time was a dead battery. Second time I ran over something on the freeway and blew out my tire. I'm pooped.

Oh ya, I finally fixed my picture so I should have a profile pic starting with this post.

~hf

Post by ~hf » Wed May 12, 2010 12:34 am

Well, No S is coming along well. I think this time it's really sticking. There was just too much going on before and my attempts were really weak. Not this time, I'm going strong. I made the 21 day club...which was a nice surprise since I wasn't really tracking for that..just noticed it mentioned in someone post on the general forum so I thought to check my habitcal and count it out...!

I have mostly green days now. only 2 or 3 since I started over a couple of months ago. I haven't weighed in yet but I will at my next Dr. appointment next month. I'm feeling great food wise, my clothes are fitting a little looser and my cheeks are slimming so I think I'm on track. :)

My challenge with be next month when my dd (16) goes in for surgery. She'll stay for a min. of 3 days afterward. Oh, and the hospital is over a hundred miles away so I'll have to farm out my other 7 kids so I can just stay up there with her. When she comes home she'll need round the clock care...so we'll see how things go...if I can still manage No S when I'm facing the possibility of irregular meal times and intensive care

:(
Last edited by ~hf on Wed May 12, 2010 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:40 am

You can absolutely use No S while you nurse your daughter. In fact, I would think it will be obvious that you are going to feel better and be more aware for her if you are doing it. I would bet the staff will be aware of your needs and will want to keep you there without wihtout it being a big deal. Good luck
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

~hf

Post by ~hf » Wed May 12, 2010 6:07 am

oolala53 wrote:You can absolutely use No S while you nurse your daughter. Good luck
As in breastfeed?? No, no lol. She's 16. :D But yes, I agree, No S is totally suitable when nursing!

The cafeteria food at this hospital is horrible! The few times that I have tried to eat something there ended in GI distress...I'll have to go out to get my meals and I don't know how I'll feel about stepping out....she's having brain surgery and post-op and recovery is a *itch.

Then once she gets home she will be totally dependent on my for *every* need for several weeks while we wait for the swelling to diminish...so that will potentially cause me to stumble. That and I'll be totally nerve wracked over the whole thing. Just not sure how I'm going to deal. Don't have a spouse..no family within 200 miles and a house full of kids. I see a lot of pizza in my future.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:09 pm

Yeah, those "nursing" days are long over. Actually, this sounds a lot more stressful. All the kids are younger? Seems like you should be able to martial a few of them in to help. One of my best friends had five siblings. Each kid, from the 9-yr.-old up, had a laundry day when he/she washed everyone's stuff. Mom never did dishes. Even with that,I feel for you.

Get the pizzas. Just get a lot of frozen veggies, too. Crockpot chicken and potatoes? Raw scrubbed carrots? Food is your friend--3x a day. You can do this.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~hf

Post by ~hf » Wed May 12, 2010 3:10 pm

Thank you, you're right. I just need to make sure I have plenty of groceries in house and several things I can make with out too much effort. And of course I'll keep a stash of pizza coupons and bagged salad on hand for the really rough days. Most of my kids are younger. I do have an 18yos but he is autistic so he's usually more work than help...I talked to a friend of mine and, although she'll be out of the state for 2 weeks during this time, she said she'd come help me clean before she leaves and after she gets back.

I love No S. It is a port in the storm of life.

kara

Post by kara » Wed May 12, 2010 7:00 pm

Hi Heidi -
I just read your thread, and I hope your daughter's surgery goes well. Bless you for having so many kids at home and still trying to find an eating plan that works!!!

I just wanted to mention that you should start now in making freezer meals that when the time comes you can just take out of the freezer and put in the oven, or microwave, etc! I'm sure that there will be a lot of days that are very taxing, leaving you with no energy to cook, so if you start stockpiling your freezer now, you can avoid those last minute bad decisions.

If you belong to any social groups like church, etc, perhaps it's worth speaking up and asking for help to build your aresenal of ready made meals. With that many kids, you're going to need large meals, and if some people could pitch in, I'm sure it would be a huge relief to you.

You can google recipes for great freezer meals, and if you go buy the large disposable lasagna pans (should be plenty for a family of 9) you won't have to worry about dishes either!

Good luck, set yourself up to succeed, not fail!! :)

~hf

Post by ~hf » Thu May 13, 2010 4:40 pm

Oh ya, freezer meals...that's a good idea. I made some spaghetti sauce last week and froze half and there's a loaf of french bread in there with it...I should make a few trays of enchiladas and some other favorites. I'll get right on that.

No S is coming along. We had pot pies last night. As a child it was my favorite meal that my mom made. She was not a good cook so I looked forward to pot pie night since they came from a box! Anyway, even though I usually cook from scratch I sometimes make them for the memories. This has traditionally been one meal that I could really pig out on. Not last night. Even though I had forgotten to eat lunch and dinner was at 8pm! I could barely finish one small pot pie a serving of rice and some corn. It felt like a brick in my stomach all night and here it is 9:30 the next morning and I'm still not hungry. :-( I'll probably skip breakfast today.

I'm just not into food much anymore. I guess that's ok. not sure though...

I posted in another thread that when Friday night rolled around last week my son brought me a cookbook and and told me that since it was about to be the weekend I could have anything I wanted so I should pick something we could make together...After browsing for 30 minutes nothing looked good so I didn't make anything. I just had a coke and some ice cream just to say I did and left it at that. :(

~hf

Post by ~hf » Fri May 14, 2010 11:32 pm

So for the last few months I have had the feeling that something inside of me has changed. That I'm just somehow different so this time my "attempt" at No S is not an attempt, it just is. And so it is...I'm finding that I react (or don't) totally differently than I would have in the past. For many years I have had this little demon in me that causes me to be out of control... of my behavior, my eating, my reaction to others and stressful situations. Not anymore. He has been evicted (I'm not sure how I managed that but I'm glad he's gone!) and now I am free...yesterday being a good example.

Let's just say having a child in crisis is a horrible place to be in life, especially when her choices have devastated the family irreversibly. I can't imagine anything more painful than what her choices have bought upon us. And still I can't help but think that the worst is yet to come...but I haven't smothered my worries with a pint or two of Ben & Jerry's, chips, soda by the gallon. Even if I felt the impulse (which I don't) I can clearly see that behavior for what it is and I want no part of it. Won't serve me well...won't get me where I want to be...why punish myself?

~hf

Post by ~hf » Mon May 17, 2010 7:42 am

I took an S day (well evening actually) on Friday then of course on Sat. and Sun. also. I'm feeling pretty good as far as compliance goes. My face has thinned out some and my clothes are fitting better. I started No S this time wearing a tight 2XL. My hope is to fit my XL clothes comfortably by the end of this year. So far I'm on track.

I made a big dinner with dessert tonight. It was great fun. This kids were really surprised because we had a rough day so I think they were expecting something quick and easy then off to bed. We ate late but it was worth it!

Tomorrow it's back to business. :wink:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:42 am

S days are important business, too-but I know what you mean. Keep it up!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

~hf

Post by ~hf » Mon May 17, 2010 3:23 pm

True, true.

Ugh!!.... :shock: I can't believe how crappy I feel today. I have become super sensitive to sugar over the last year or so and even more so now that I'm No S-ing. My fibro usually acts up a bit on Monday but today I feel like I've been worked over. I think that the S event I added Friday night was enough to put me over the top. It's happened more times than I care to remember that my S day indulgences have caused a flare lasting till Thursday! I'm trying not to tamper with my S days yet because I want my N days to be solid. I still have a couple of allowances built into my week that have helped me get back into No S that I would like to drop successfully before I think about limiting Ses on S days, kwim? Actually, in light of how I feel this morning, I can see that my Ses might naturally become self limiting.