summer reads

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
Grammy G

summer reads

Post by Grammy G » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:03 pm

I'm looking for some summer reading...nothing too heavy..nothing too frothy..not a lot of blood and guts... any suggestions???
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:27 pm

I don't know if you've read the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency Series by Alexander McCall Smith, but these are delightful books about a female private investigator in Botswana. They are easy to read and life-affirming, while giving an idea of culture and life in Botswana. Well worth reading if you haven't already.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:41 pm

idon'tknow wrote:I don't know if you've read the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency Series by Alexander McCall Smith, but these are delightful books about a female private investigator in Botswana. They are easy to read and life-affirming, while giving an idea of culture and life in Botswana. Well worth reading if you haven't already.
Second that - lovely series! :)

Grammy, what do you like? Mystery, general, science fiction/fantasy??

A few things we read for book club (from memory, so may be off) that I liked:
My Stroke of Insight (Jill Bolte Taylor)
Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

I admit a fondness for fantasies, particularly those written for a younger audience (minus the vampire-oriented sub-genre) - Diana Wynne Jones and Bruce Coville are favorite authors in that spectrum. And I've been going through Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files" series lately.

Hope you find something!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:52 pm

thanks ladies! I also love the" No.1 Ladies ....." I picked the first one up by mistake and loved it and continued on from there. I just finished Homesick Creek by Diane Hammond and really enjoyed it..also have read her Going to Bend. I do enjoy mysteries and have probably followed many series...and authors. I was surprised to enjoy Margaret Truman's mysteries and think I have read them all. I enjoy Fannie Flagg's novels for really light reading. I have picked up and read most of Oprah's pics and enjoyed most of them. I loved the Time Traveler's Wife. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver..is one of my all time favorites...as are most of her books. I'm going to hit the library tomorrow morning. I am looking forward to getting lost in a good book again! :wink:
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:00 pm

I just read Spoon Fed by Kim Severson. She's a food writer for the New York Times and writes about how 8 cooks influenced her: Alice Waters, Marcella Hazan, her mother, Rachael Ray, Marion Cunningham, Leah Chase -- and others that I can't remember right now. It also touches on her problems with alcohol, but it's still a good read.

I'm waiting for the 16th volume of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. It makes me laugh.
Last edited by wosnes on Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:02 am

Wosnes..I have been a fan of Stephanie plum but..I think she is getting to long -in-the-tooth to still be trying to decide between two men.. who both seem at bit juvenile, by the way. Let me know how the newest one is. I do love her family!! I wanta be like grandma..but not for a few more years!!

I was just thinking about something I wrote long ago in a discussion of books and I said I always get hungry for whatever the story line features. I just remembered that I started drinking red leaf tea when I read the No.1 Lady Detective series! I discovered Starbucks carried it and bought it drank it every time I read one of those novels!

I need to find a book where the characters eat only one plate of food three times a day! :wink:
Peace Pilgrim

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:31 am

If you like time travel stories, Time & Again by Jack Finney is a classic.

The Aunt Dimity cozies by Nancy Atherton are fun. (Multiple plates/recipes going on, though. :wink: )

:)
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:58 am

I have my little list all ready to go! I am off to see my doctor..yearly physical...and then a "treat" for me..a visit to the library.. a cup (senior rates!!) of MDonald's coffee.. a comfy read on the back porch...aaahhhh! :)
Peace Pilgrim

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:15 pm

Hi Grammy,
Be sure to post what you chose - I'm always looking for new authors to read. :)

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:18 am

OK..went to the library..you need to know I live in a small college town..and could only find the Dresden Files series andTime and Againby jack Finney. I brought home Time and Again and The Rules of Engagement by Catherine Bush. A friend stopped by this afternoon and had a book in her hand she wanted my thoughts about. It is Crazy Time by Abigail Trafford. Subtitile: surviving divorce and building a new life.
now, Iam not getting a divorce..she is (shades of Tipper and Al!!) and her therapist suggested she read this book. I went through that 35 or so years ago, when my kids were small..she is going through it at 60..mmm anyhow, i'm going to read it tonight since it is important to her that we talk about it.
I should probably go to the university library. Right now there are not too many students around and I would probably have more luck finding books. idon'tknowbe sure to look at the other posts here and maybe you will get some good ideas. I do love Barbara Kingsolver's books. Oh..I can't remember the name of her book giving the true account of her family moving to a farm and deciding to eat only what they grew for one year. She throws in a few recipes for good measure.
I will post my thoughts on Crazy Time and hope none of you need the information!!
Peace Pilgrim

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:31 am

Grammy G wrote:Wosnes..I have been a fan of Stephanie plum but..I think she is getting to long -in-the-tooth to still be trying to decide between two men.. who both seem at bit juvenile, by the way.
I don't think Stephanie has actually aged -- she's still early 30s and I know some still going through that. It just seems like she should have aged since the books come out about yearly! I don't think Ranger seems too juvenile, though. Uncommitted, but not juvenile.
Last edited by wosnes on Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:46 am

Here we are having a serious (well.. kinda) conversation about Stephanie and Ranger! i agree.. Ranger is not a marriage kind of person.. I guess I just want to scream, "Move on Steph..you've played this game enough and it is going nowhere!" But..you are right..i tend to think she ages a year with each book...what would that make her? 55?? well..that is crazy too!!!
Peace Pilgrim

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:19 am

The Kingsolver book is Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. It's a good read -- I really enjoyed it. There was a lot about eating locally and seasonally that I'd not considered previously.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:10 am

thanks for looking up that title wosnes! I gave my copy to a friend and told her to just pass it on and now I am sorry I didn't keep it. I guess I will order myself another.
I did start the book Crazy Timelast night and read a bit more today. I think it is a really good book to pass on to anyone going through a divorce. I am glad to be reading it now..30 years too late! The book basically lets the reader know he/she will be Ok..it will take time..what you feel is normal. I am getting some insite into the dynamics of different personalities in relationships.. how things manage to go wrong..and go from bad to worse..
That's as far as I got in my reading.
:wink:
Peace Pilgrim

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:03 am

Was at a bookstore today and ran across others I'd read that you might like

Water for Elephants
Blink (non-fiction, but engaging)
Elegance of the Hedgehog
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
The Eyre Affair: A Thursday Next Novel (first in a series, if you like the rather quirky premise)

... and I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch...

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:27 am

Thanks, KCCC! What a sweetie to think of me while you were at the book store. I've read BLINK and found it very interesting.(It was used as the freshman read at the local university two or three years ago) and I loved the Guernsey Literary...... I'm keeping a little notebook of the titles suggested here in my purse so i will have them with me when I hit the library or a book store again. You can never have too many books!
I was just going through some books and found Like Water For Chocolate bY Laura Esquirel. That book makes me smile just thinking about it! It is a really light and fun read. I was looking for some books I picked up at a garage sale for my granddaughters..now I must read them and try to determine who gets what... which I'm actually looking forward to doing! I am especially looking forward to reading Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi. i will report back to you on that one! I really appreciate all the input!
Peace Pilgrim

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:11 am

I love 'Like Water For Chocolate' - I enjoyed every minute that I was reading that.
2 other good novels are The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Sons by Khaled Hosseini. The Kite Runner is also a film, I think. I don't know if they fit your criteria of 'light' though - they are both a bit harrowing at times, but with positive endings.
KCCC - I'm really intrigued by some of the titles of novels you are suggesting - I'm definitely going to look for some of these. :)

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:55 am

I read The Kite Runner and couldn't put it down. Is the second book as good a read?? i didn't see the movie."..Runner". I usually don't when I have read the book.. the exception being the Color Purple. but, just thought of this, I often read the book after seeing the movie!
When I was at the local library, I noticed their book club was reading The Help (I think that was the title). anyone read that?? my aunt suggested it too. Somehow, I know nothing about it. :shock:
Peace Pilgrim

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:11 pm

The Help is supposed to be amazing. Everyone I know who's read it raves about it.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:52 pm

I try to read the books movies have been based on after I see the movie. I'm always disappointed in the movies. It's how the story has been adapted or who they cast in the parts.

Which reminds me...I'm currently reading Julia Child's My Life in France. Love it! I had Julie and Julia but realized I just don't like Julia Powell's writing style. Blog or book.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:32 pm

I read The Kite Runner and couldn't put it down. Is the second book as good a read??
I generally don't watch films of books I've read either- it spoils the pictures in my head. I really enjoyed A Thousand Splendid Suns - it's from a woman's point of view, in contrast with the first book. I think I read it in a day on holiday last year - couldn't put it down.[/quote]

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:20 pm

Let me put in a couple of recommendations: The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls, The Middle Place by KellyCorrigan and Still Alice by Lisa Genova.

Now, I'll warn you - NONE of them sound promising - Glass Castle is a memoir about poverty and mental illness in a family; The Middle Place a collection of essays by a young mother with breast cancer; Still Alice fiction about a brilliant 50ish professor diagnosed with Alzheimers. But each book is inspiring, uplifting and remarkably laugh-out-loud funny at moments. Loved all of them.

I really liked The Help but I grew up in the kind of town she describes - small, Southern, segregated - in the 60's. So it was like reading about my early life.

I like Elizabeth Berg's books too, although she hasn't published recently. A little bit middle-aged-chick-litty, but well-done with good character development.

Very tired of Jody Picoult. She makes me feel manipulated. As I also felt at the end of Sarah's Key which came highly recommended. Great story about Jews in France during WWII, but the ending left much to be desired.

And I loved Kite Runner - book AND movie - as well as Thousand Splendid Suns

I have the following checked out of the library, so if any of you have read them, would love your feedback: Friday Night Knitting Club, The Ten Year Nap, The Reading Group.

And Stephanie SO needs to just marry Joe and have a couple of Jersey brats! Ranger is cute & all that but.....Good grief!
Last edited by Scrybil on Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Scrybil~

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:44 am

Read the Reading Group and enjoyed it. have not read the others.
I read Saving fish From Drowning a few years ago and it was one of those books my mind kept going to again and again.. don't know how else to explain it.
I also read Julie and Julia and was not very impressed..neither with the concept nor the writing. Spending all that time in a tiny, dirty kitchen..cooking for hour..eating at midnight...no fresh crispy veggies... maybe it is just me or maybe it is the writing style but.. I'd pass on that one!
I love all these wonderful ideas for my reading list. I may just send an order to amazon not do the searching at the library!Keep 'em coming!!
Peace Pilgrim

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:45 am

Scrybil, "The Glass Castle" is one of the ones I was forgetting. Your description is right on target! (I also agree about Stephanie/Joe, though I gave up on her about book 8.)

Have not read "The Help," but it is getting rave reviews.

If you haven't read "Eat, Pray, Love," give it a go. That seems to be a "love it or hate it" kind of book, though. (I enjoyed it, but the author strikes me as rather a high-maintenance sort. Reminded me a bit of Anne Lamont in intensity.)

Norah Ephram's "I feel bad about my neck" was fun, but I did that as an audiobook, and she read it herself, which may have been part of the charm. (It's a series of essays on aging, some funny, some quite serious. There is this totally hysterical chapter about the need for reading glasses...)

More thoughtfully, I just read Geena Roth's "Women, Food, and God" (again, as an author-read audiobook - I do a lot of audiobooks on my commute) and found it thought-provoking. And also funny in places.

Back to Young Adult SF/Fantasy - The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud was great. And I admit to totally enjoying "The Lightening Thief" and all the rest of the "Olympians" series by Rick Riordan - do not be influenced by the quality of the movie, which was NOT particularly good.

Grammy G., thanks for starting this list! I'm taking notes from others too, and enjoying remembering ones I've read. :)

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:43 pm

I enjoyed "Eat Pray Love', but came away thinking she was self-involved, unrealistic, and spoiled. Like I wish I could afford to be LOL
~Scrybil~

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:21 pm

scrybil, I felt the same way!! I haven't felt the slightest urge to read her new book.. but I'm glad I read EPL!
I am just finishing up Crazy Time and have to say again.. if you are going through a divorce or are close to someone who is..this is a book you will want to read! My friend picked it up used on Amazon for a few bucks..
To those of us who "know' Steph, Joe, and Ranger.. I actually watched an episode of The Real Housewives of NJ and then began thinking about those crazy characters on that TV show..is it..Jersey Shore?.. OMG!! I thought the novels were based on fiction!!! :wink: I may have to read one more since I have this new information to add to my mental pictures of the story line!!
Peace Pilgrim

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:37 am

My husband's family is from New Jersey. Those Stephanie Plum books are just like a family reunion. Never have I seen that much hair & makeup outside a Miss America contest! And I live in the South.

The women are all named Dawn. One of the cousins married a guy in the garbage business named Vinnie.

Dawn and Vinnie. Really.
~Scrybil~

la_loser

Cozy Culinary Mysteries

Post by la_loser » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:14 pm

These may have been mentioned earlier and I missed them, but the fun (Plum styled) culinary mysteries by Diane Mott Davidson are enjoyable, especially for food lovers. . . and you can get your taste buds satisfied by reading instead of eating! Her heroine, Goldie, is a local chef/caterer who finds herself in all sorts of predicaments including, of course, stumbling into a who-dun-it or two. Light easy summer reads. I've found most local libraries carry them.

(And yes, to those who are surprised to see me here, school's out; I'm going to have time to actually post on here and keep up more with everyone! Yea!) She even includes a few recipes (probably to be saved for S days!)
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:03 pm

Just finished "The Ten Year Nap" by Meg Wolitzer (sp?)- really well-written, about four 40ish professional women who step off the career path to raise their children. I'm well beyond those child-rearing days, but could relate to much in the book. Recommended!
~Scrybil~

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:51 am

Love all the suggestions! I'd like to keep this going with books we've read and enjoyed and a mention of ones we didn't enjoy too.
I just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett and would highly recommend it. It is a view of southern living in the 1960s from the black maids' point of view. Very well written.
Two of my friends have given me hard copies of Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier. This is the author of Girl With the Pearl Earring which I haven't read. I really value the opinions of these friends so I feel confident in recommending this book. Any of you read it?[/u]
Peace Pilgrim

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:21 am

Read a second - even better - bookby Meg Wolitzer this weekend - "The Wife". Grammy, I think you would like this one a lot....about the wife of a world-renowned author and story of their marriage through late 50's-present. Captures the era, along with dawn of feminism movement. Wolitzer a fine writer.

I love Chevalier - haven't read this most recent book tho - so please do weigh in so I can reserve at library if it's a thumbs up :)

And LA Loser, those Diane Mott Davidson books ARE fun aren't they? But they do make me hungry.....
~Scrybil~

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:42 pm

I've read 'Girl with a pearl earring' which I really enjoyed, but haven't read the other, so would love to hear your opinion on it.
I've been reading 'The God of Small Things' by Arundhati Roy for quite some time now. It's a very good story, but with a sense of foreboding all the way through. You know it's not going to end well from the start - and I've been feeling a bit too fragile to deal with it. I have to take a journey on the train tomorrow, and I'm determined to finish it so I can move onto something a bit lighter. I'll let you know how I get on!

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:09 am

Oooh, sense of foreboding! LOVE that in a book - sort of like knowing you shouldn't look but you can't help yourself,right?

But TRAIN travel! Lucky you!
~Scrybil~

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:29 pm

Finished the book - The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. I definitely recommend it. It is beautifully written but quite depressing - not a book to pick up if you want to feel better about the world
But TRAIN travel! Lucky you!
I wish that were true! English trains are awful - crowded, hot, overpriced and the seats are far too small. I'm not a huge person (English size 14 - which I think is US 10) and I only just fit into the seat! Although travelling to and from London at peak times means you are lucky to get a seat at all. I like being in London for the day, though - there's always something interesting going on.

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:17 am

Well idk, it beats sitting in traffic for hours, burning fossil fuel and getting angry with other,more aggressive drivers.

But, perhaps not?

Doesn't it sometimes seem that GETTING places is more than you want to have to do?We're all readers here on this thread (obviously).....no doubt we'd prefer curling up with a good book!
~Scrybil~

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:16 pm

You are absolutely right Scrybil - I shouldn't be so negative. Driving to central London would have been so much worse - I wouldn't even consider it.

Curling up with a good book - a lovely point in the day. Where's your favourite place to read?

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:23 am

idk, I stand corrected -just read your post about hobbling around London in heels. Not fun!

I think I have this romantisized vision of life in England - too many British chick flicks? I want to be one of those dotty old women on a bike with the basket out in the countryside. How about that for the ideal transportation plan? :wink:
~Scrybil~

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:44 am

somewhere I "lost" a lovely post for this site!! Wonder where I sent it? anyhow..I gave IDK advice about her poor feet (soak in cool water and then get them up on the couch while you lie on the floor...and read a book!)
I also said I love to read by an open fire in the winter..so that I can see the fire and also the swirling snow outside. In the summer my place is the hammock stretched between two huge oak trees hubby planted over 40 years ago just for the purpose of hammock stretching! In the spring and fall, I prefer my big sloppy chair and hasssock that is facing a window where I can see trees and flowers and folks strolling by. In Florida, I have a lovely sun room with a long comfy couch, perfect for reading away an afternoon!
I hope everyone shares their favorite place to read...IDK..great idea! :D
Peace Pilgrim

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:26 pm

Grammy - your reading places sound perfect to me. I love the way you link the places with the weather and what you can see while you are reading. I particularly love the sound of the hammock.
My favourite reading place is curled up on the sofa - or outside in the garden on a sunny day. I'm not good at reading with distractions, though - things need to be quiet and still because I'm easily distracted :oops: . I like to read early in the morning - that's been a habit of mine since I was a little girl. I used to get up early before anyone else and sit in front of the fire with an orange and a book - what a strange child I was!!
Scrybil - it's funny how we have views of places based on films or books. I suppose there's a bit of truth in how we imagine places to be, but they are always more complex than described aren't they? The dotty old lady on the bike would be knocked off it by some madman driving too fast in a car, or by a lorry too big for the road on most of our country lanes these days!! Or maybe that's just me being too negative again

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:42 pm

IDK..I also loved getting lost in a book as a child!! My favorite place then was my bedroom with the door closed so my brothers couldn't bother me!
I loved to visit the huge Carnegie library in the Oakland section of Pgh. on a Saturday morning... I can't believe my parents let me get on a bus and then "street car" (kinda like a cable car) to get there on my own..I was in 5th grade and in a special art class for talented students that met at the Carnegie Museum every Sat. I would go to class and then wander through the museum..have lunch..go to the library and the get myself home! So I guess we could both be classified as "strange children"!! Nothin' wrong with that!!
I am about to go to amazon and order books! :D I have given up on the little town library. Going through the list, I realize I have read the Glass Castle and even remember seeing the author doing a little special on it in one of the news programs when it first came out..her Mom was even on the special! It IS a good read! I am going to have to skip the books with foods as a big part of the story..I am one of those readers who wants to eat whatever I am reading about. maybe when I am stronger....
Here is where I am going to start: The Girl w/t Pearl Earring, The God of Small things, The Wife, Water for elephants, and
A thousand Splendid suns.( Not to be read in this order. )That should keep me in reading material while we are gone!
Please continue to post any good books!! Also your favorite reading places... :D
Peace Pilgrim

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:10 am

I LOVED Water for Elephnats - a beautiful book! Can't wait to hear what you think,Grammy!

I have aforementioned hammock down by the water (we live on a small lake) - shady, cool, private. I just finished doing a 'use what you have redecorating' binge and moved acomfy chair & ottoman up to thebedroom where I can read and look out the bay window to the lake - perfect!

idk, I had a guy send me sprawling onto the pavement when I was making my way home with a bike basket full of books last Fall. He decided he should suddenly turn left in front of me & I had to brake hard to keep from getting killed. All these years I've been afraid of the SUVs and trucks - this was a guy my age (old) in a Honda. Just goes to show that the jerks come in all sizes, ages and origins. I DID have some choice words about his origins!
~Scrybil~

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:29 pm

Scrybil - your reading places sound lovely, too - so peaceful and restful. Your incident with the man in the Honda must have been scary, but I have a lovely picture in my head of you shouting rude things at him - made me laugh out loud!!
Grammy - Isn't it funny how much more freedom we had when we were children than they have now? I remember going into town on the bus to the library when I was very young - I wouldn't have let my children do it!
I hope you enjoy your books. I've just remembered that I promised myself a book for my e-reader if I managed an all green week. Think I'll investigate a couple of the suggestions on here - maybe 'Water for Elephants'.
I'm currently reading 'The Alchemist' by Paul Coelho - has anyone else read this. It's a great book - a fable about following your dream. A very quick and easy read and I'm really enjoying it.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:59 pm

Books ordered and at least one should arrive in a few days :D .
Just finished Tracy Chevilier's Remarkable Creatures. This is a very interesting book. Two friends gave me copies and hubby and I ended up reading it at the same time. At dinner a few nights ago, I mentioned to him that I wondered how the author had come up with the premise...We have (in a nutshell) 2 women in the 1800s coming into fossil hunting and friendship from very different backgrounds in the village of Lyme Regis. The attitudes of the times toward women, education,religion, and family structure all play a part in the story. Hubby, who has a Ph.D in geology, told me the names and places are real as are the main facts. i looked at the last section of the book which verified everything that was documented information.
I really enjoyed this read! The women truly were "remarkable creatures" as were their fossil finds. The author did a great job of weaving the philosophies of the day with a story of strong women.. and those not-so-strong. Then there is a wonderful story of geology in its infancy. Give it a try!
Peace Pilgrim

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:56 pm

Grammy -- do you belong to Amazon Prime? If you order a lot from Amazon it's well worth the price. I usually select 2 day (free) shipping. Because they have two warehouses close to my location, things often arrive the next day.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:49 pm

wosnes, could you explain what "prime" is..I've never heard of it. I was going to say PM me but maybe others here would benefit from knowing about it too! Thanks :D !
Peace Pilgrim

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:49 pm

I like the sound of Remarkable Creatures. I've been to Lyme Regis a few times - we used to go on holiday near to there when the girls were small. We looked for fossils but never found any - lots of people still do, though.
I don't know if you've seen the film of 'The French Lieutenant's Woman', but that is set in Lyme Regis. It also features strongly in Jane Austen's novels (I love Jane Austen!).
I'll add this to my e-reader wish list. 'Water for Elephants' isn't available as an e-book, so I downloaded 'The Help' instead. I've promised myself another book when I've done 2 weeks of green days! Starting tomorrow :D

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:41 am

Nice reward system my friend! :wink:
~Scrybil~

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:01 am

Idon't know, I did see that movie and I'm glad you mentioned it! Now my "mental movie" of the book is a bit more authentic! I am ready to begin a new book tonight,,I usually like to let a book "settle" into my mind a few days when I've really enjoyed it. I'm going to see what I have in my stash since my Amazon order hasn't arrived. I would love to be reading a book at the same time as some of you and have a kinda online book discussion. (I enjoyed our discussion about Steph and her guys). Don't know how we could get that started.... ideas??? :shock:
Peace Pilgrim

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:11 pm

I usually like to let a book "settle" into my mind a few days when I've really enjoyed it

I do that too, Grammy - I like it to simmer in my thoughts and fade gently so that I can make space for the next book. Some books take longer than others, don't they? 'The Time Traveler's Wife' stayed with me for weeks.
The other thing I like when I'm reading is to recognise the point when a book grabs hold of me. I start to think about it when I'm doing other things and can't wait to get back to it. Sometimes that happens quickly and other times it takes a few chapters, but it marks a turning point in my reading. Does that make sense?

Brilliant idea to have a read along thread. Why don't you list what's in your stash and we'll try to agree on something? Really looking forward to this!!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:03 pm

Oh, how I loved The Time Traveler's Wife ]IDK ! I too thought about it for weeks!! I think I will reread it this Sept.
i got all my Amazon books and now must decide where to start and what to take on our month away from home.
(':idea:') I think we should start a new thread and call it "NO-S Book Club" or something a little more catchy and see who wants to join us! I'd love to participate and I'd love it if someone else wants to begin with a catchy post! I am going to be limited by my 'adventuring" until mid August.. just don't how much time I will want to be spending on the computer when there will be so much to see and do. But I would LOVE to be a part of a book discussion group with the ladies who have posted here. I think we could have a lot of fun with it!
Any takers???
Peace Pilgrim

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:57 pm

That sounds like a good idea. I'm not very good at thinking up catchy posts - but I'll try and put my mind to it.
I hope you have a lovely time on your adventures :D - I'll miss you, though :(

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:50 am

Maybe it will be just the two of us discussing books! I do like the idea of a book club so I hope others think it will work too.
I will be doing some posting while I am gone. I think I need the help of all my no-S friends to keep my head on straight! :lol:
Peace Pilgrim

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:29 am

Weighing in late here, and Grammy you are away I know. But I'm all for NoS Book CLub!

(Reading The Heretics Daughter right now - will let you know how it is.....)
~Scrybil~

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Just read The Wife. Looooved it!! What a great author! Thanks for suggesting it ,Scrybil!. I'm going to just give myself time to think about it before I begin another. I will let you know what I pack for the trip cross country.
Peace Pilgrim

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:53 am

Oh yeah, wasn't it wonderful? And I really enjoy her writing style. Intelligent but engaging.

I KNEW you would like that one Grammy! It was 'our era'!

:wink:
~Scrybil~

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:32 am

I read 'The Help' while on holiday and loved it - thanks for the recommendation.
I also read 'The Bonesetter's Daughter' by Amy Tan - I enjoyed this, but not as much as some of her others. My third read was Restoration by Rose Tremaine - this was ok. Again, I prefer some of her other books.
I had just started (and was enjoying) 'Remarkable Creatures' but at this point my ereader died and I had nothing to read for the rest of the holiday :( It's working again now I'm home, so I'll be able to catch up.

Any more reading recommendations??

Mrandy1

Post by Mrandy1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:49 pm

In the spirit of this diet.....

I recently read an old stephen king novel called Thinner ( he may have written it under the pseudonym Richard Bachman)

It was great!!!!! - in my very humble opinion!
Mrandy1

Starting weight 3/20/2011: 176
Weight as of 4/23/2011. 169.8
Weight as of 5/5/2011. 169.5
goal BMI 24.9 = 164 lbs

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:28 am

Well Book Folk..I just reread all the messages here and was amazed at all the good books we talked about and I read because of it! Summer is just around the corner..or so we all hope..and I am ready for more of your great suggestions. I can't say that I read anything this winter worth suggesting to any of you ..sad isn't it!... I hope there are as many great ideas out there as there were last year! I am ready to read! ..or maybe I am just looking for something to do more interesting than washing windows and putting up screens! :roll: Whatever the reason..whatchagot??
Peace Pilgrim

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:32 pm

Last bookclub selection was "The Immortal Cells of Henrietta Lack." Thought-provoking, but easy to read.

I am currently enjoying Gretchen Rubin's "The Happiness Project," which just came out in paperback.

We are also reading a series on "The Immortal Life of Nicholas Flamel" - fantasy aimed at the young adult readers. Our family started the series as audiobooks on our last long trip together, and liked it. The author does a good job of mingling myths and legends from multiple sources. So far, enjoying them.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:05 pm

I just finished "A Very Private Gentleman", on which the movie "The American" is based. A very good book. I also have just finished "The God Delusion" which was thought provoking.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:10 pm

New stuff..

I just read the new Elizabeth I novel by Margaret George (I'm a historical fiction nut as well as a science fiction freak). I love her stuff.

I got a Kindle for Christmas and I have to confess I've been downloading a lot of my old "comfort reads" Shogun, Stranger in a Strange Land, The Vampire Lestat, Island of the Blue Dolphins, I Will Fear No Evil...

For the science fiction fans?

Feed, by Mira Grant. It's been nominated for a Hugo and boy, oh BOY does it deserve it.

If you haven't read the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, do. Solid stuff (Yes, I know its YA. I LIKE YA)

For classics for a summer read, you can't go wrong with Three Men and a Boat: to say nothing of the dog, by Jerome K. Jerome.

Then there's always anything by Terry Pratchett if you're into anything that makes you laugh and cry and think by turns.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue May 03, 2011 2:07 pm

Thank you for the ideas... I am hitting Amazon later today. I have a gift card to use that is just calling to me :D
Please keep the good reads coming! I really like to read all year!
Peace Pilgrim

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:17 pm

Reading previous posts has given me some ideas :) I have mostly been going through Amazon's free ebooks. Luckily some of my favorite authors are available - like dickens and Wodehouse. Headed to the library today and hoping to come home with a stack of books.

FWIW, I got tired of The Plum after a handfull of books. It felt like the same old thing every time. It left me with a 'just get on with it' kinda feeling.

Love time travel books, The No 1 Ladies and trains to London (or anywhere), but I was always going for fun (well, mostly), never work. Crowded at times, but I didn't think the seats were small at all.

If anyone knows the book about the gay vampire in a village in England, let me know. I can't for the life of me remember the title or author.
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:38 pm

How could I forget Agatha Raisin. I didn't like her at first, but she really grew on me.
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:02 pm

I've never heard of the gay vampire in the English village, but have just done an Amazon search and found 'Decorated To Death: A Simon Kirby-Jones Mystery' by Dean James - is that the one?

Maybe you are tiny - I am not huge, but cannot bear how small the seats are on English trains. I would rather stand than be squashed in the middle of a seat for 3 people. Just one of the topics I love to rant about..... :x

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:39 pm

Yep - that's the series I was thinking of, thanks! They're slightly strange books - but with a main character like that, what else could it be? :)

No, I"m not tiny by any means. I just don't recall ever thinking of the seats as small. We all have our pet peeves though - and I have many....Do you go through MK Central?

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:39 am

If I'm going to London I do. I work in MK so pass MK central every day - albeit by car. Have you lived in MK?

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:56 pm

Cool :) Yes, we lived there until 05.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:01 am

I just read the last two issues of GQ, does that count? I have been reading some Raymond Chandler, as well as "The Good Book" by A.C. Grayling. (Basically his version of an atheist Bible...)

I need to read "A River Runs Through It" this summer and get ready to read it with my classes this Fall. I have read that enough now I should write a student study guide for it.

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:04 am

For you sports minded people I just read "The Year Babe Ruth Hit 104 Homeruns". The author took 30 years to research and write the book. He makes a pretty provacative argument that Babe Ruth was, and stilll is, the most amazing baseball player (in today's parks he would have hit 104 homeruns in 1921...), and possible athlete in recorded time. He (Ruth) is what scientists would call a "singularity"; they have know explanation for him and his extraordinary baseball prowess.

Grammy G

easy hard boiled eggs (really!) and what to do with them!

Post by Grammy G » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:05 pm

One of my kids just called and said he had to make hard boiled eggs and what a hard thing to get them to peel. I thought I had taught him this method..apparently not..and, with summer here and pickled or deviled eggs on the menu, I thought I'd share this easy method:
begin with eggs that are not just bought. I buy my eggs at a farmers' market and keep them in the frig for a week. Fresh eggs do NOT peel well no matter what you do!!
place the raw eggs into a large pot that is lidded. cover the eggs with hot water and bring to a boil (Unlidded). Boil for 5 minutes. Place lid on pot and remove pot from heat. Let covered pot set for 5 minutes then pour off water...replace with cold water and let set for a minute or so..pour off cold water and replace with very hot water..immediately pour off hot water. Lid the pot and shake (it only contains the cooked eggs) vigorously in all directions. remove lid and look in..eggs should have peeled themselves or need only a tug on a loose shell. If any shells stick...peel under hot running water. Give it a try..
If you now have 7 hard boiled eggs and are looking for something different to do with them, here is a recipe for "mustard eggs"...kinda like pickled eggs but a nice change and they are a beautiful yellow..would looks nice on a plate with pickled eggs mixed in!
Mustard eggs:4 Tablespoons yellow prepared mustard//2/3 cups sugar//1/8 teaspoon salt//3/4 cup white vinegar//3/4 cups water//7 peeled hard boiled eggs
Put all ingredients except the eggs into a small saucepan and mix with a whisk..bring to a boil. Place the peeled and boiled eggs in a heat safe dish or jar and pour boiled sauce over them. cover and refrigerate for 72 hours before using them. will keep for several more days. enjoy!
Peace Pilgrim

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:28 pm

I've always liked Henry Winkler/aka The Fonz. I'd like to read his new book I've Never Met an Idiot on the River: Reflections on Family, Photography and Fly Fishing. You can also read an excerpt here.

I watched the video clip and particularly liked something he said at the end: You have to learn to concentrate. You have to learn not to force the issue. You can't push. You can't push on the river because the fish will break the line. You cannot force yourself in a scene, you have to find your rhythm with your fellow actors. So true. It reminds me of the title of a book from the 70s: Don't Push the River (It Will Flow by Itself).

Recently I've read the 16th in the Stephanie Plum series, Sizzlin' Sixteen. The seventeenth has just come out and eighteen will be out this fall. For those of you who read this series, she's supposed to pick between Morelli and Ranger in 18. I have no idea which I'd like her to choose!

I've also read Brava, Valentine and Don't Sing at the Table: Life Lessons from My Grandmothers both by Adriana Trigiani. I very much enjoyed them both. Brava, Valentine is the second in a trilogy.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:14 am

wosnes wrote:I've always liked Henry Winkler/aka The Fonz. I'd like to read his new book I've Never Met an Idiot on the River: Reflections on Family, Photography and Fly Fishing. You can also read an excerpt here.

I watched the video clip and particularly liked something he said at the end: You have to learn to concentrate. You have to learn not to force the issue. You can't push. You can't push on the river because the fish will break the line. You cannot force yourself in a scene, you have to find your rhythm with your fellow actors. So true. It reminds me of the title of a book from the 70s: Don't Push the River (It Will Flow by Itself).

Recently I've read the 16th in the Stephanie Plum series, Sizzlin' Sixteen. The seventeenth has just come out and eighteen will be out this fall. For those of you who read this series, she's supposed to pick between Morelli and Ranger in 18. I have no idea which I'd like her to choose!

I've also read Brava, Valentine and Don't Sing at the Table: Life Lessons from My Grandmothers both by Adriana Trigiani. I very much enjoyed them both. Brava, Valentine is the second in a trilogy.
I have always liked Henry Winkler as well. He has done a good job in the Royal Pains series on USA Network. I also remember how devastated he was when John Ritter died.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:19 am

John Ritter was one of the good guys, as is Henry Winkler.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:04 pm

I just finished In Deadly Combat by Gottlob Herbert Bidermann. It is a memior of Bidermann who spent 4 years of the Russian Front and another 3 years in a Soviet work camp. I am beyond amazed that anyone ever survived WWII.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:22 pm

Scrybil wrote:I enjoyed "Eat Pray Love', but came away thinking she was self-involved, unrealistic, and spoiled. Like I wish I could afford to be LOL
I just found out that Elizabeth Gilbert had been paid the advance for that book before she left for Italy. So, essentially, she had an idea and was being paid to have the experiences and write about them.

I just finished The Help. Loved it! I'm not sure if I'll see the movie or not, but I thoroughly enjoyed the book.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:10 pm

Oh..NO!! Paid in advance!!! :cry: ( that kinda takes the edge off that adventure, doesn't it?)
moving on.. I'm not sure I am going to see The Help either. I have all the characters fleshed out in my head and I'm not sure the movie can live up to my imagination!
Whatever happened to the movie version of Water for Elephants? Anyone see it? I saw the previews for it and read about it..but that was it! I do live in a small town, but I thought I'd at least see that is was playing somewhere nearby or that the DVD was released. I loved that book and would consider seeing the movie because of the old time-y circus settings.. and Reese Witherspoon fit my mental image of her character!
Peace Pilgrim

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:10 am

Grammy G wrote:Oh..NO!! Paid in advance!!! :cry: ( that kinda takes the edge off that adventure, doesn't it?)
moving on.. I'm not sure I am going to see The Help either. I have all the characters fleshed out in my head and I'm not sure the movie can live up to my imagination!
Whatever happened to the movie version of Water for Elephants? Anyone see it? I saw the previews for it and read about it..but that was it! I do live in a small town, but I thought I'd at least see that is was playing somewhere nearby or that the DVD was released. I loved that book and would consider seeing the movie because of the old time-y circus settings.. and Reese Witherspoon fit my mental image of her character!
I'm not sure why, but I couldn't get a good "vision" of the characters in The Help. Now that I've seen the trailers for the movie, they seem right to me.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:55 pm

I've just finished 'Her Fearful Symmetry' by Audrey Niffenegger. I really enjoyed it - a ghost story with a twist.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:02 am

I just finished "Ultra-Marathon Man" by Dean Karnazes. Marginal... I also finished "Carte Blanche" by Jefferey Deaver writing as Ian Fleming. Not bad. He kind of reinvents Bond.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:47 pm

Over our Fall break I read "Killer Elite", which is the book the movie is very loosley based on. I also read a motivational book called "Mindset". Not bad, but the author had incredible issues with John MacEnroe.

Currently I am reading Richard Dawknis' "The Magic of Reality". Good stuff.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sun May 27, 2012 12:04 am

Once again..it is SUMMER and once again I'm looking for a good read or two..or more! There are a few I need to check out from previous posts but.. what has anyone read that would be a great summer read? Thanks..you have been very helpful in the past!
Peace Pilgrim

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed May 30, 2012 11:33 am

Grammy, have you ever read The Beach House by Mary Alice Monroe? She has a brand new one out, Beach House Memories, that is supposed to be the prequel to the other. Another author that I love is Kristin Hannah - read Winter Garden this winter :lol: and have Night Road to read as soon as school is out.
Just finished The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared by Alice Ozma...can't help it - I'm a reading teacher. It's a beautiful memoir of their 10 year read aloud streak.
In the process of reading The Lucky One, Nicholas Sparks...fast read, if you're a fan of his.
There were other good ones that I read this year, but I'm not at home where I can check my bookshelf!
Oh, Jason Wright is another good author to read - very clean, wonderfully themed books appropriate for any audience...always leave you with a way to be a better person.

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:43 am

Thanks to all for the recommendations.

I would highly recommend the wonderful Ann Patchett's latest, State of wonder. I was completely enthralled, and everyone I have recommended it to has also found it engrossing. It has an exciting and unpredictable plot, and is thought provoking. A rare treat.

I also enjoyed Love virtually by Daniel Glattauer, translated from German by Katharina Bielenberg and Jamie Bulloch. A modern epistolary novel told in emails, again this was entertaining and absorbing.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:22 am

Your mention of a book written in emails reminded me of another one I read earlier this year, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It is written totally in personal letters to and from different characters and set in London and Guernsey Island in the aftermath of WWII 1946. Wow - great characters and I learned so much history that I wasn't aware of.
Lisa Scottoline, a writer of crime fiction, is another good author. I've read Save Me and someone just gave me Mistaken Identity to read over the summer.
Now, if summer will just get here so I have more time to read!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:32 pm

The Good Book compiled by A.C. Grayling.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:23 am

I read The Life of Pi today. Very interesting and thought provoking.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:14 am

Bumping as there is lots of talk of reading on the check-in threads.

I have loved Wolf Hall and Bring Up The Bodies by Hilary Mantel. If you love the Tudors these are great. The writing style takes a bit of getting used to, but I couldn't put them down. I've also loved The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, and The Secret History by Donna Tart.

Anybody else got suggestions?
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:10 pm

Oh my..IDK!!! Just got notification that you bumped this and I am sooooo glad as I have read some great books and am always looking for something I might otherwise miss. A few of my fav's that haven't been mentioned: "The Invention of Wings"// "The Supremes at Earl's All You Can Eat"// The Hare With The Amber Eyes". The first is fiction based on real sisters and is authored by the lady who wrote "The Secret Life of Bees" (loved that too!)
The second is fiction and has a great story and lots of fun to read. The third is a serious non-fiction that I would suggest you read in a version that has the illustrations/photos/maps included. All I will share is that if you enjoy history and art..you will enjoy this book. "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed (she gave herself that surname) is an interesting book about a person (Cheryl) finding herself as she hikes the PC trail. If you have ever done any hiking..or wished you had.. this is a great read. Oh my..I could go on and on..
Happy reading one and all!
Peace Pilgrim

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:05 pm

Grammy G!!! Miss you on the boards and lovely to 'see' you again :D
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:04 am

Grammy!!!!!! It's so good to 'see' you again!

I just read The Invention of Wings a couple of weeks ago, and The Supremes a few months ago.

I just finished Water for Elephants a couple of days ago, and Divergent today. I teach middle school and all the kids were reading Divergent so I thought it was time I learned what all the fuss was about.

I'm listening to a book called The Beautiful Mystery in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Series by Louise Penny.

I've got a book on my kindle that I'll start later tonight. Can't think what it's called..something about a pig in a suit I think.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:18 am

Oooh, I forgot all about The Help! I loved that book!

And I'm currently reading The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson - so far so brilliant and an easy read as well.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:16 am

I am just finishing up Sisavath's Babylon series. A zombie/vampire hybrid race takes over earth.

I also read the first Longmire mystery novel this summer. Not bad.

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:58 pm

Interesting, I need to get more reading done, too. Is the Longmire mystery what the TV show is based on? I've never seen it, but I love good mysteries - I may have to add it into the rotation.

I've been going back and reading some of the classics. I read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and I just finished Frankenstein. I thought I knew the stories (of course I knew the general plotlines), but both were so much deeper. Frankenstein was great!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:56 pm

Yes, the TV series, which I quite enjoy, are based on these novels. Frankenstein is excellent.

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:45 am

If you like Zombies - I just finished World War Z and it was incredibly and surprisingly good. Well written and very interesting. Not at all like the movie.

I'm currently reading I Am Pilgrim but I'm not yet sure about it - early days (it was cheap on Amazon and was recommended to me by friends).

If you like classics - Vanity Fair was quite enjoyable.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:22 am

WWZ was a great book. I find that the zombie genre has outpaced the vampire genre. I blame Ann Rice for that. Either way, Max Brooks hit a homerun with WWZ.

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:09 pm

Lol Over43! Just saw your comment now and it's so true. Apparently "The girl with all the gifts" is also great but I haven't started it. I'm currently reading "I am Pilgrim" and like it enough, although it wouldn't make my top 30.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:10 pm

Summer starts for me Friday. Anyone have anything good to read they want to suggest?

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed May 27, 2015 9:40 am

For something a bit grim but gripping: Child 44. I just read it and liked it a lot. I found it fascinating how the writer managed to create the atmosphere of Stalin's Russia. Although some of the storyline is a bit fantastical I still enjoyed it a lot.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016