Ang_grrr's daily check in.

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ang_grrr

Ang_grrr's daily check in.

Post by ang_grrr » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:02 pm

Hi,

I read a link to the No S diet on a friends Blog and decided to give it a try. I was tempted to start on Saturday which would have given me two S days to START me off (ho! ho!) but decided it was a bit cheaty and, hey, Monday is my weighing day anyway.

A little bit of background. Like many people I have successfully dieted and put it all back on (and more!). A couple of years ago I decided that enough was enough and simply stopped dieting. I don't count calories, I don't count points, I don't buy low-fat versions of food and I'd rather eat cardboard than another calorie-counted ready meal. Instead I concentrated on eating healthily and started home-cooking so I could control what I ate.

I was suprised to find that even though I thought I wasn't eating less I lost about a stone in weight over the course of a year. Not so suprising was that I'm now spending a heck of a lot less on food (remember: nothing tastes as good as not being overdrawn feels!).

Sadly the initial weight loss has stopped, probably because I'm eating just the right (calorific) amount. I'd still be overweight but a lot happier if I lost another couple of stone. There's plenty of give, however, because as I've not been on a diet I'm been pretty generous with the Sweets, Snacks and Seconds. Now strikes me as just the right time to tackle my other eating habits before the excesses of the Christmas season and the No S diet sounds like an ideal way to do this, with ideas that match my own on losing weight slowly through long term changes.

Just to check a couple of things:

1) I normally eat a piece of fruit at 4 p.m. to break up a long stretch between lunch (typically 12) and dinner (normally post 6). Should I make myself eat it as part of my lunch or can I designate it a meal?

2) I'm on holiday in France for a few days at the end of November during the week. Should I swap the weekends in or just designate the four days as special? I'm fairly sure they don't add sugar to cake in France (yup, I'm delusional).

I'm Angela BTW. Pleased to meet you.
Last edited by ang_grrr on Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:19 pm

Hi Angela!
Welcome and good luck!!
I am sure this will be helpful to you... You already sound like you were kind of living a NOS life already... Congrats on taking the initiative to help yourself in a humane, and liveable way!

ps.. LOL.. Nah, they have sugarless cake in France... :wink:

pps.. See how you would do adding your fruit to your lunch meal.. I'm guessing if you have a fruit at lunch, it will last you till dinner.. If this doesn't work and you absolutely feel the need for a mid afternoon pick up, then just virtual plate it from lunch, or call it a mini meal..

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:29 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:Hi Angela!
Welcome and good luck!!
Thank you! I'm going to try my best.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:32 am

Aha! So I managed to convert you :lol:
(well, convince you to give this a try, anyhow)

I have always bent the rules a little and said that up to 2 portions of fruit or raw veg is allowed in addition to my 3 meals a day. Usually, I don't acutally need to eat it these days, but it helped a lot at the start whilst I was still getting over the sugar addiction. It still helps now in that I know I can eat some fruit and get on with worrying about the rest of my life, rather than worrying about whether or not I'm hungry!

A lot of other people do it slightly differently in that they leave a space on their lunch plate where the apple (for example) could have fitted. Or they even put the apple on the plate with lunch, but save it for later. This is a virtual plating exercise which can be useful to make sure that you're eating the fruit INSTEAD of, and NOT AS WELL AS some other less healthy part of your meal.

One of the greatest things about this particular eating plan is that it's perfectly allowed to tweak the rules a little to fit your own situation better. Afterall, everybody is different, why should one size always fit all? As long as you're clear yourself what the rules are and you try to stick to them, you'll be fine.

Good to see you, Angela.

C.
CaroleJo

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:12 am

carolejo wrote: A lot of other people do it slightly differently in that they leave a space on their lunch plate where the apple (for example) could have fitted. Or they even put the apple on the plate with lunch, but save it for later. This is a virtual plating exercise which can be useful to make sure that you're eating the fruit INSTEAD of, and NOT AS WELL AS some other less healthy part of your meal.
Ah. That explains the virtual plating thing. I need to get myself a "work lunch" plate so I can stack everything up before I leave to check with myself. Today I have soup, a sandwich, an apple and the life-saving banana. The soup is in a flask so I can put it on the plate without there being an embarrassing incident.

I'm quite good as avoiding sweets but I do struggle with crisps and other salty snack foods. My biggest downfalls are cheese, crackers and chips. Perhaps I should designate C an honorary S until I get the hang of things.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:21 am

actually, Viscount_S (my husband, also known as 'the Boy') did a 'no C diet' a few years back, when he realised that crisps, cheese and chocolate were his major pitfalls.

One of the nicest things about NoS for me is that nothing is actually banned, just delayed. If it helps, you could always do as you suggested and list those things as honorary esses, but is the problem *really* the foods themselves, or is it SNACKING on them? If it's just a snacking thing, then you'll address them anyway indirectly. Afterall, a cheese sarnie for lunch is just lunch, right? If you wanted a bag of crisps with your lunch and they fit on your plate, then it's lunch. Whether it's nutritionally a good thing is another matter, but that's up to you :)

Virtual plating is also pretty useful when there are things that don't really mix well. Like do you want your bread to go soggy in your soup already..? Nah, didn't think so. So virtually plate it instead. Just be careful it's not an excuse for eating more food than would really have fitted on the plate. :wink:

C.
CaroleJo

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:10 am

Day 1.

FAILURE

And you know what, it was completely automatic and I only realised I'd done it when I came to write stuff down.

I was out at the theatre last night. I had my three meals, drank my coffee black and even remembered at dinner to order water instead of lemonade. Once at the theatre the performance featured a lot of dry ice. This makes me cough and so, for the benefit of other patrons, I had three cough sweets. I don't even normally eat sweets! Ah well. Onward and upwards.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:38 pm

Hmmm. Yes. It needs quite a lot of concentration for the first week or so, until it becomes automatic habit!

I had a Fuji-hiro side dish on 'autopilot' during my first week, so 3 cough sweets isn't terrible.

On and upwards though. Good luck!
C.
CaroleJo

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:38 am

Day 2 SUCCESS

Having a fairly hefty breakfast (a bacon buttie!) seems to be seeing me through to lunch with no problems but although I managed the stretch to dinner okay Monday, yesterday I had to eat my reserve fruit at 4 p.m. Obviously this was because I had been thinking very very hard. Dinner was a pork chop, cabbage and potato with gravy but I was a tiny bit hungry when I went to bed. I'll make sure I add a more substantial veg like carrots tonight.

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:28 am

Day 3 SUCCESS

DESPITE the efforts of my co-workers who brought in Scones to try and tempt me. I was resolute.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:35 am

Coworkers can be so mean!!!!

good on you for resisting though.
C.
CaroleJo

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:55 am

They said they'd bought scones because they began with and S and thought I could eat them. They are just being deliberately silly.

I've realised that some people are logging what they eat so I guess I should write stuff down for the past three days. Warning... I've been having an unusually meaty week because I wanted to have a hefty breakfast.

Day 1
Bacon sarnie and 2 cups coffee with milk.
Soup, tuna and sweetcorn sandwich, apple and banana.
Bacon burger and salad (out for dinner)
3 cough sweets.
Various cups of black decaf coffee (I normally have milk but have forsworn it for the first 21 days and we'll see how we go) water and herbal tea. This is pretty much every day.
Day 2
Bacon sarnie and 2 cups coffee with milk. (see the theme)
Ham sandwich, packet of crisps, apple and banana.
Pork chop, cabbage, mashed potato and gravy. (I like to call this "The Day of Pigs")
Day 3
Bacon sarnie and 2 cups coffee with milk.
Home-made scotch broth, cheese sandwich, apple and banana.
Stir fry pork with curry noodles.

While this probably sounds horrific to some people the last few weeks my diet has been more like this:

2 pieces toast at home with 2 cups coffee.
Cake/chocolate bar and coffee at morning break.
Soup, sandwich and crisps for dinner with diet coke
Apple and banana during the afternoon. More coffee
Piece of bread while cooking dinner.
Dinner (pasta, stew, whatever) with cup of tea.
Supper, sometimes, toast
Hot chocolate before bed.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:59 am

Don't feel you have to write down everything you eat. Some people find it helps, but a lot of us never bother. Personally I only write it down if it was particularly interesting to me for some reason.

Also, milk in your coffee is unlikely to make a great deal of difference on the 'macro' scale of things. Coffee with milk is almost certainly less of an issue than a ton of diet coke. Tricking your tastebuds with Artificial Sugar is generally thought to make it harder.... although there's no 'hard and fast' rule about that either, Reinhard put somewhere that "naturally thin people don't cram themselves with diet products, so neither should you."

It seems like you're off to a reasonable start though. Good going so far.
C.
CaroleJo

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:00 am

Oh, and at least all that protein will help you to feel fuller for longer than if you just went back to eating toast for breakfast...
C.
CaroleJo

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:00 am

Day 4 SUCCESS

I'm going to a charity function tonight so I'm starting my weekend today and having Sunday as an noS day. This gives me three noS days before my holiday.

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:53 am

DAY 5. S-DAY

Had and apple betty with my lunch. This is a apple turnover with cream and very nice it was too. Later on I had a pint of guinness and some shandy at the charity do plus about 10 peanuts. I didn't eat the pies and sandwiches offered and I stopped at a couple of drinks.

The time has come to start thinking about doing some exercise. I've been reading about shovelglove and while it intrigues me I don't think there is enough room in my tiny house for me to fling around a hammer. Not with my accident record. My dancemat for the PS2 is at my parent's house (for their grandkids. My Mum and Dad don't get down to the groovy beats) so I think I'll get it back I try this for 15 minutes a day.

My favourite exercise is walking and while I like the idea of urban rangering it's not practical for me to walk to and from work (I'm 6 miles away and work on a university campus which happens to be in the middle of a vice zone!). Instead I take myself away at the weekend for a couple of hours of good quality wandering. The merseyside coast is great for this although I'm a member of the National Trust which gains me access to a number of country estates. The problem with this is that I need a clear weekend to be able to do it and this is the first one for ages. Now I need to decide where I am going to go tomorrow!

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:03 pm

Disaster!

I'm ill. A weird head cold and associated headache which is leaving me feeling out of sorts. Still...

Day 6 - SUCCESS
Day 7 - S day

I'd originally planned to NoS Sunday but on Saturday I felt ill enough that I accidently followed the plan so when I wanted a raisin danish on Sunday I had it.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:21 pm

Feel better Angela!
Sorry about your disaster..
Rest and drink tons of warm fluids...
Soup!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:29 pm

I'm drinking lemsip at medically advised intervals.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:49 pm

Don't forget that Sick Days also start with an S.

Do what you have to do to get better quickly. Hope you're all fixed up in no time.

C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:46 pm

What's "lemsip"???

Try hot lemonade "tea" with cayenne pepper and a little maple syrup or honey for sweetener...
That really loostens stuff up!

Peace,
8) Deb

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:09 pm

Oh, it's a lemony paracetamol decongestant drink. I've no idea what it's called in other countries but it's a british institution. Like the Queen, but in soluble form.

Current concession to being ill: milky coffee before bed.

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:45 am

Day 8 - SUCCESS

I'm having three meals a day. I'm not even thinking about snacking in between meals. Yesterday I did have a mince pie a friend had made but it was tiny and it was with my lunch.

I've decided that stopping the milk in my coffee was going a bit far - it's meant to be a sustainable change and there's no way I can keep this up. I'm addicted to calcium. I've not had any sugary drinks. One last day of having some control over what and when I eat before the chaos of a family holiday.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:00 am

Good for you. Sounds like you're doing really well.

Not having control over what and when you eat can be a real pain, but at least it doesn't mean that its automatically not 'noS friendly'. Afterall, you've not got to ask everyone to cook special foods for you!

C.
CaroleJo

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:31 am

Indeed. My main worry is that the week or so with no carbonated drinks is going to collapse under the pressure of Disney. Say no to Mickey! Say no to Diet Coke!

My plan is to eat a hearty breakfast and try and avoid the inevitable junk-filled lunch. I'm going with my cousin and her kids and I don't think we'll be strangers to the burger bar.

Tonsha

Post by Tonsha » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:37 am

Hi Angela!

Welcome to the group. Thought I'd just say hello and chip in with a bit of unsolicited comments/advice/controversy.

I know what you mean about wanting something 'extra' around 3 or 4pm. Before I made my initial attempt on the 21 day run, I decided that this would count as a snack. Instead, I got myself a hot chocolate from the drinks machine at work. I knew that this was 'stupid' at the time - the Hot Chocolate's GOT to have more calories in it than an apple or banana, right? - but PSYCHOLOGICALLY I knew I wasn't having anything to EAT. And that made a difference to me in terms of thinking success/failure.

Nowadays I just have a hot drink without sugar at around 3pm. I don't drink tea or coffee, so I have Caro or Barleycup (and if I was at home it would probably be hot vimto!).

DaveA
"The best diet is the one you don’t know you’re on" - Brian Wansink

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:32 am

Mmmm. Vimto!

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:54 am

Paris... The breakdown...

Wednesday 23 Nov.

Flight is at 7.30 so I leave the house at 4.30 am. Breakfast is a Boots meal deal and a cup of coffee. Sweets on the plane (can you travel without a sweet to suck? I can't). First burger of the day in Disneyland Paris - chicken breast and salad but still a burger. Tea is in McDonalds. In between coffees and, I confess, a bottle of Sprite. Paris is cold.

Thursday 24th Nov.

Humungous breakfast from the buffet means that when it comes to lunchtime, in another burger bar, I only have a kids fish-shape and chips meal with a yoghurt and water. Throughout the day lots and lots of coffee because Paris is now *wet* and cold. My evening meal is a nutritious combination of a cheese string, packet of crisps, doughnut, chocolate biscuit and a bottle of wine.

Friday 25th Nov.

Breakfast buffet is now down to a fine art and I can cram 40-50 croissants in. Okay, 2 rolls, 2 toast, 1 pain au chocolate and associated cheese and meat. Plus a bowl of fruit. I don't bother with lunch (apart from a packet of maltesers) but in desperation search for something healthier to eat for tea. This turns out to be a rather sorry looking baked potato and a dessert of crepe. Another bottle of Sprite keeps my spirits up until I get back to the hotel for a yoghurt I'd hidden in the mini-bar.

Saturday 26th Nov.

After spending the night dreaming of brocolli I wake up to another breakfast buffet. I do my best but it's getting hard to be enthusiastic toward the croissants so I have a bowl of cornflakes and pretend the vitamins are real. At lunch it's back the Mucky's where a chicken sandwich is probably the healthiest thing I can have (apart, of course, from the salad, but I find it hard to eat iceberg lettuce when it's snowing outside). This sees me right through to the evening when I buy a pasta meal from a supermarket shop. It's got almost real carrot and courgette in.

So there you go. It could have been so much worse (my travelling companions pretty much constantly ate crisps and sweets) but it really could have been better. Sadly eating well at Disneyland Paris costs far too much. There wasn't any sort of cheap italian or chinese, all the snack places where diners, and any more exotic restaurants cost upwards of 20Euro for a main meal. I couldn't even find a shop that sold fruit. I've probably lost some weight but I suspect it's malnutrition.

This morning I'm going to sit and plan my meals for the week while I wait for the supermarket to open. Fruit will probably be the first thing I buy.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:55 am

This morning I'm going to sit and plan my meals for the week while I wait for the supermarket to open. Fruit will probably be the first thing I buy
*chuckles out loud*

I know what you mean about that!

Well done, anyhow. It doesn't sound too bad really. Just think, there are people who deliberately eat like that all day every day!

C.
CaroleJo

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:27 am

Day 15 FAILURE

Stupid unconcious stuff again. A couple of crackers and butter before I went to bed.

I'd be tempted to start counting again from today but if I keep this count up I hit day 21 of my second 21 days on Christmas day. I quite like the symmetry of that.

I did manage to get food to eat this week and I have my meals planned out for the next few days at least. Stops me buying fatty takeaway on the way home.

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:44 am

Day 16 SUCCESS

Although I was really really hungry at 4 o'clock I resisted snacking and had a "quick" dinner of baked potato, cold chicken and salad rather than the veg and gravy I was planning.

I have a dilemma. Advent calendar. I've sewn one for myself and I was looking forward to having a sweetie every day in work. Do I put the sweets in, take them out every day, and hide them until saturday or do I put in little paper IOUs so I don't tempt myself?

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:24 am

I dunno. I know officially the rules would say "leave them til the weekend", but it's kind of a special thing. Personally, if I had an edible advent calendar I'd make an exception for the one little sweet or chocolate each day from it. Fortunately I'm spared this dilemma because my calendar is the kind with little pictures instead. I also usually burn an advent candle, but I haven't found one for this year yet. I don't know if you can even get those over here in the Netherlands.

If you're just having the one little sweet each day, I can't see that it will do much harm in the longer term. What do the rest of you lot think?

C.
CaroleJo

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:04 pm

I think I'll ask the question over on general...

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:27 pm

probably a good thing. Not everyone reads the checkins and it's the sort of general interest question that fits.

C.
CaroleJo

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:50 pm

Thur 1 - Day 17 FAILURE
Fri 2 - Day 18 FAILURE

I've been eating suppers of cheese and biscuits. I've just sort of totally collapsed toward the end of this week.

I'm staying here, though, and writing things down because where's the trick when you are only fooling yourself.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:02 pm

never mind. At least you're still here and still having a go, that's the important bit.

Good luck getting back on track on Monday.
C.
CaroleJo