Seeking sweater-wrapping instructions

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Elsidar

Seeking sweater-wrapping instructions

Post by Elsidar » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:34 pm

I stumbled across ShovelGlove through Wikipedia last week (learning the etymology of "dumbbell"), and I've had a blast so far exercising with my new hammer.

However, the sweater I have wrapped around the head looks like an ugly mess. I've seen some great examples of sweater/towel/padding wraps on the boards, but going from this:

to this:

has left me with an amorphous, shifting sweater-blob that doesn't always pad the whole hammer.

Does anybody have some examples or instructions on how to make a more secure wrap? With hardwood floors, leaving the head bare isn't quite an option.

Thanks!
~Elsidar

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:56 pm

Please consider wrapping it any way that gets the job done, i.e. covering the "business end" of the hammer to prevent/reduce severity of potential injury/property damage. (Shugging done correctly is totally safe to inanimate objects and all living creatures :D ) Be creative. Make it your own.

"This is my Shovelglove. There are many like it, but this one is mine. etc" (With greatest respect & gratitude to the USMC.)

I use a basic "X" folding pattern and it somehow reminds me of putting a diaper on a baby. :shock:

Live the Shug ! 8)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:13 pm

Trial and error? :-)

I'm not especially adept at this kind of thing, and I don't usually get it right the first time. But there aren't that many first times, because when I do eventually get it (usually after two or three attempts), it's months (possibly even years) before I have to redo it.

I'd say just keep trying and don't worry too much about the aesthetics. As long as the arms aren't flapping around, I'd say it's good enough. An "amorphous blob" is fine as long as it's a stable amorphous blob.

Maybe I'll ask my brother to film a sledgehammer wrapping for our upcoming shovelglove dvd...

Reinhard

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:55 pm

Use the handyman's secret weapon: Duct Tape

chiangmaiboss

Post by chiangmaiboss » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:41 am

I found good solution to this problem but not easy for everyone. My wife made crochet wrap for hammer. Entire homer wrapped in yarn so not only does it protect floor but is good for gripping, absorbs sweat and hammer is very attractive and is like an ornament. I have photos of this on forum under Greetings from Chiang Mai posting.
Chiang Mai and Nakhon Sawan, Thailand