On Thanks Giving

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

JWL

On Thanks Giving

Post by JWL » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:32 am

As I wrote in my daily check-in, I participated in that quintessentially American holiday today, by utterly gorging myself! I can't believe I used to eat this way every day.... I'm horribly uncomfortable after having eaten so much .... bleah.

So Thanks to Reinhard for devising such an elegantly simple and healthy eating algorithm!

And isn't it funny how in America we've come to associate giving thanks with eating far more than we need to the point of discomfort and then crashing on the couch to watch football, parades, or reruns of Heidi in a dark tryptophan-induced haze! Yet more evidence at how we as a country/society romanticize and celebrate sloth and gluttony!
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Kevin

On Thanksgiving

Post by Kevin » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:09 am

And isn't it funny how in America we've come to associate giving thanks with eating far more than we need to the point of discomfort and then crashing on the couch to watch football, parades, or reruns of Heidi in a dark tryptophan-induced haze! Yet more evidence at how we as a country/society romanticize and celebrate sloth and gluttony!
Hell yes! It's a great country! :wink:
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:44 pm

I don't think Thanksgiving or other feast days are symptomatic of a problem. Feast days are as old as humanity. The problem is that we now feast 365 days a year. Distinguishing between feast days and ordinary days, like we used to, can be a positive help in recognizing and limiting (and, occasionally, enjoying) excess.

If every day is a feast day, of course, then official feast days become monstrous orgies, feasts of feasts (literally so, in the case below). Here are two thanksgiving horror stories that were related to me by coworkers:

1) One coworker doesn't like thanksgiving because he and his wife are the only non-obese people in his family, who eat not one, but two thanksgiving meals. The first an Italian thanksgiving (lasagna, etc), then a few hours later, a full "American" one (turkey, etc.). He feels disgusted at this spectacle and like he's condoning their excess just by being there.

2) Another coworker's family used to compete on thanksgiving. Everyone would weigh themselves before and after the meal. Who ever gained the most "won" thanksgiving. Last year, my coworker gained ten pounds and was sure he'd won. But a cousin gained twelve. They decided then that maybe it would be a good idea to discontinue competitive thanksgivings in the future.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:54 pm

Who ever gained the most "won" thanksgiving. Last year, my coworker gained ten pounds and was sure he'd won. But a cousin gained twelve.
That's totally revolting!!! LOL... :lol:

P&L,
8) Deb

JWL

Post by JWL » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:22 pm

Hi Reinhard, I think we may be saying similar things, from a different perspective.

Feast days are, by definition, exceptional or out of the ordinary. When, as you say, every day is a feast day, it indicates at the very least a society that is out of balance.

To clarify my hastily-written point above, it is the very fact that we don't differentiate much, and that sloth and gluttony have become a cultural norm, that is the problem.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Kevin

Contrarian

Post by Kevin » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:08 am

Hey, I hope I didn't offend FW. I was just being contrary.

You know, I do think a day full of food and football is a good one. I do like eating a big meal and watching the tube (sort of a modern day camp fire if you use it right). I like arguing with my brother in law (a - gasp - Dallas fan) and my other brother in law (a sensible, if misguided Giants fan). It's fun.

But I also understand that in this land of plenty, many demand plenty in excess. And that's sad. All the more sad if they aren't thankful for it, and don't realize that they have this plenty by the grace of God (substitute fate or luck if you wish, I don't take offense) and not through their own hands. That ingratefulness is an aspect of this society that I do find offensive.
Kevin

JWL

Post by JWL » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:46 am

No offense whatsoever, Kevin or anyone else. You'll have to try much harder than that if you want to offend me. :twisted:

I agree a day of football is fun, but for my money every minute spent watching it on TV should be spent actually playing it outdoors. Double the minutes if you are a Dallas fan.... heh

We are a vicarious nation when it comes to sports.... most people would rather watch/listen to the game than go play it.

James, who grew up in Cincinnati and is thrilled to see the Bengals resurgence... Marvin Lewis for President!
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Kevin

Marvin Lewis

Post by Kevin » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:33 pm

Yet another excellent coach that the Skins let get away while they went for flash. Sigh.
Kevin