A tip to stay on track

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

marygrace

A tip to stay on track

Post by marygrace » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:14 pm

In the past, I've been known to abuse the NWS day rule of two allowed per month. Sometimes those NWS days would go towards legitimate causes, like birthdays or major holidays--but if I didn't have two birthdays or major holidays in a month, I'd just give myself permission to randomly take an NWS day if I felt like having a treat. Technically, I suppose this is OK, but it's not really conducive to keeping habit, and part of me always felt like NWS days should be planned in advanced as Special Days, not on-the-fly days where I felt like having sugar.

For instance, this month I know Thanksgiving will be an NWS day, but I didn't have any others. So on Monday (Nov 1) I decided on the spot that I really wanted a cookie from the coffee shop, and made that my other NWS day. Like I said--technically, this is fine, but it definitely felt like I was bending the rules.

From now on, I've decided to mark my NWS days in advance on HabitCal. That way, there's no room for fooling around--plus I have these days to look forward to.

Nicest of the Damned

Re: A tip to stay on track

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:34 pm

marygrace wrote:From now on, I've decided to mark my NWS days in advance on HabitCal. That way, there's no room for fooling around--plus I have these days to look forward to.
That's what I do. In fact, I've got a pocket calendar, and I wrote S's on all the S days in it for the coming year (it's a Jewish calendar, so through September). On HabitCal, I mark all the S days for a month near the beginning of the month.

It didn't really occur to me until after I started No S that one could take S days on the fly like that.

On the subject of planning, I try to plan something I really like for dinners on S days, too. I don't want to waste my S days on stuff I don't really like that much. This is probably good- I read somewhere that people who plan meals tend to eat more vegetables than people who don't. Planning meals in advance is hard for me, and a little extra encouragement is a good thing.