Ingrid's detox

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

inghol

Ingrid's detox

Post by inghol » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:30 am

Well, here we go. As regards to sweetners I did badly yesterday. 3 cans of diet Pepsi and 2 big glasses of diet Pop (with a spot of gin as it was a night off ) 4 very big mugs of tea with 3 seetners each. Now as that is my daily averageI am determined to do better.
So, starting today I am not buying any more coke or fizzy pop!
Breakfast: Porridge with honey and nuts, 2 mugs of tea but only the first one with sweetners as I couldn't face it solo straight away.I've already had lots of water as well so that will be my cunning plan for the rest of the day. I hope to report success in the next few days (hopefully not from a mental institution)
:roll:
Life is what happens while you're busy making plans...

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:25 am

Don't forget, you can still have your coke and fizzy pop - but ONLY on the weekend! :)

That way it's easier to say to yourself when you find yourself craving it "Oh, you can have that on Saturday if you still want it! Hell, I can have 30 cans of it on saturday if I really want to!"

good luck with the detox. It's hard. Really hard. but it does genuinely get easier.

C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:37 pm

Hey Ingrid!!! Good luck!!!!
Carolejo, I think thirty cans would be really pushing the NoS envelope...
Actually, if you look at Reinhards homepage, you can find the section where he poses the question,
"What if I have a gallon of ice cream on S days?"...
I think the answer was
"You will be fat and die young..." LOL....

I always loved that one! LOL...

Hey Ingrid, I wrote you a bunch of stuff about the diet coke on your other thread... I wonder if you made your decision partially because of it??
Either way, I am very happy for you!!!
On S days you can have a few real sugar sodas and not die from it or get fat from it....
Meanwhile, go for the H2O!
Good luck and don't substitute one addiction for another okay..
I don't want to see you posting a "I started smoking a pack a day" or something weird in it's place~ LOL...

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

inghol

Post by inghol » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:32 pm

well, food wise yesterday was a good day, no funny stuff. I guess it,s because it,s a habit now.

But going cold turkey on sweetners - it,s like someone's taken my crutch away.
Deb & CJ - your comments were brilliant and I,m definitely a sucker for empathy!!! The seed for ditching the sweetners was planted when I read some old posts but I couldn,t even contemplate giving up before because I was so scared of ending up needing 4 sugars in my tea etc. and putting on loads of weight.
What you said,Deb, has reassured me that I can have some sugar without that happening.
So although I managed to get through yesterday without any more sweetners I did feel a bit yucky. I,ll try having little sugar in my tea to cheer me up!! :)
Thanks again Love Ingrid

inghol

Post by inghol » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:45 pm

Halleluja, I've gotten through another day without sweetners. Drinks don't taste quite so horrible now, especially with the occasional teaspoon of sugar . It has definitely helped knowing I would have to confess online if I slipped up.
On the downside I had a cracking headache yesterday without any reasons for it , i.e. work /period etc. so I am putting that down to not having those chemicals!
The foodside's been easy at least.
Here's hoping..

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:31 pm

Probably you're right and the headache is Detox for sure.

Try some herbal teas (Camomile or peppermint are pretty good, I find) with a little honey in them. The honey is sweeter than sugar and might help wean you off those artifical sweetener chemicals a little more gently.

Watch for Caffeine crash at the same time :!: I think it's easier to deal with the sweetener issue first, then cut back on caffeine, but some people would disagree and say that's just prolonging the pain :twisted:

It's looking good, anyway. You'll be all fixed up and ready to retox yourself in next to no time at this rate! :lol: :lol:
CaroleJo

inghol

Post by inghol » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:52 pm

:) :) :) :) :) that's how many days I've now managed without artificial sweetners and I'm still alive, no nervous ticks nor have I started smoking...
Drinking soda water and herbal teas with honey has helped tremendously.
I don't want to risk anything by going back to it on my s day. Besides, I'm too busy eating chocolate, cakes and snacks ( not as many as I used to though, by a long shot).
I haven't lost any more weight but lost an inch off my hips - good riddance , long may it stay off!!
Delighted and relieved
Ingrid

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:27 pm

That's fantastic Ingrid!!!
The mind is amazing... We hold onto ideas that we can or can't live without things for so long, and when we just decide to change that, and make the commitment mentally, the body often just follows...
(Though usually the body speaks before the conscious mind... LOL..)
Glad you are relieved... That is priceless!
Good job!!!
Love,
8) Deb

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:34 am

excellent work!

Bet you're really pleased.

C.
CaroleJo

inghol

Post by inghol » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:11 pm

Thanks for the moral support, Debs & C. !

It's still going well on the no sweetner front. In fact I almost can't believe that I ever took so many. The fact that I feel better for it is also quite telling in itself. I am now reading labels more carefully, too.

Food wise I'm still o.k. provided I have a substantial amount for my meals. Whenever I skimp i feel like flaking out some 3 hours later which is a blinking nuisance if I'm on night duty wtih the next meal some 10 hours away...

Ingrid

inghol

Post by inghol » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:07 pm

Guess it's time for an update to keep myself on track.
Last week has been good in that I can actually drink tea & coffee without missing sugar/sweetners, so I'm still chuffed about that.

I've also been able to ignore the sweets at work and stick to 3-4 meals.
Until Friday, that is.
My s day started early.. Well, we had to go to this dinner/dance thing and it would have been sacrilege not to indulge. And I suppose the vodka & wine didn't help. :oops:
Saturday was spent recovering and Sunday was a family Do where I was obliged to help clear the remaining cakes.
So it's not surprising I'm finding it a little harder today to stick to the rules. My lunch plate was a bit bigger than usual..
Back to the straight and narrow me thinks.

I

inghol

Post by inghol » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:25 pm

:? I have to admit I am finding it hard this week. It is that time of the month, however, so its probably not surprising.
I gave in to a milkshake last night - instead of small salad because I was trying to avoid having another meal. I have been having big meals again with not the best choices (how bad is a croissant or two ?).

There are also some jobchanges ahead so I guess I am using any excuse to find comfort in food. Whinge whinge whinge

inghol

Post by inghol » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:54 pm

Right, I thought I better call this day 1 after a very depressive and self-indulgent phase. I took the kids to see Harry Potter yesterday and totally O.D'd on sweets, amongst other things.
I feel much better today!
So I am planning a -stick to the rules week- with a weigh in on Friday!!!

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:57 pm

Hi Ingrid,

Hang in there! There will be good days and bad, easy days and hard ones. There's not even always a logical pattern.

Hope your next few weeks go well. You're doing fine and well done for picking yourself back up and restarting.

C.
CaroleJo

inghol

Post by inghol » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:20 pm

Thanks for the support, CJ!
Without going into Success or Failure mode , the week went pretty well.
Funny stuff did happen, a small meal at work when I had wanted to try witthout. My timing is a bit out , I should just have a couple of pieces of toast when I get up in the afternoon , to last me until dinner at six and then I could class my meal at work as my "lunch". I have to work on that one.
I also had some hot chocolate with cream....
My weigh-in today is best not mentioned. But hey- the measurements are still down. Nust go and do some SGing now...

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:25 pm

Its the measurements that are the important bits! That and how you feel within yourself. The scale is so arbitrary, so contrary, so inaccurate and your weight will be variable during a single day by anything up to 4 pounds anyway, so it's essentially meaningless unless you leave a good long time between measurements (like 6 months worth of good habit building) and don't take it too seriously.

Glad to hear your measurements are down. Go You!
C.
CaroleJo