What do you do for exercise?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jd4070

What do you do for exercise?

Post by jd4070 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:56 am

Hello I am new. I was wondering what are some things you like to do for exercise? Thanks.
11/8/10 Starting weight 155 lbs.
Today 154 lbs.

Aleria

Post by Aleria » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:16 am

Two hours of aikido, a non-combative martial art, three days a week.
Also a lot of walking and DDR (Dance dance revolution, a fun video game).
Since starting the aikido my inch loss has really improved - I'm noticing losses in my wrists and feet now, as well as my waist.
"I'm not here to decorate your world"
Start: January 2010: 160 pounds, 39" waist
During: December 2010: 152 pounds, 33" waist

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:21 am

I do dvds exclusively (they work best with my schedule), and I try to mix it up. Since I've been sick this past week, I've been doing all yoga and pilates workouts. I'm really enjoying them right now!

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:27 pm

I walk or run with my dog for an hour every morning, and usually take one or two shorter walks with her throughout the day (if I didn't have her, I'd definitely get less exercise. But she's a super energetic terrier, and I don't want her tearing down the walls!). I also practice a vigorous form of yoga three times a week.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:40 pm

I haven't exercised consistently for more than a year. I keep seeing it in my future, though! I've done it before. Since the summer when I went to a dance camp, I've had knee issues. This week I've done two 30-minute resistance routines. I go through bouts of West African dance classes.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:11 pm

I am an urban ranger. I ride my bike to work, to the grocery store, everywhere I need to go that's within a half hour ride. I also walk some places instead of riding (but I really like riding, and plan to ride across Sweden next summer, so I am motivated to keep up my riding fitness).

In theory I also lift weights, but in reality, I haven't done it for a couple of months. It's more of an effort to fit into my day.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:29 pm

MW- yoga
Tu/Th - walk + abs
F - step class

I like classes because they're social and keep me motivated. Plus, since the gym is AT my workplace (one building over), it's convenient. I bring my clothes and exercise before work.

I think it's important to pick
- something you like
- something that you can fit into your ordinary routine.

Lolly

Post by Lolly » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:36 pm

I do spinning classes and weights at the gym although I intend to go more often than I actually do. Some days I walk quite a bit too.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:37 pm

I wear a pedometer and have a goal to stay active during the regular course of my day. If I get over 10,000 steps on a given day -- and my daily average step count is about 13,000, give or take -- I call myself good.

My current "bread and butter" exercise looks a lot like Marygrace's. I walk my energetic dog for an hour every morning and take him out for 2 shorter walks as well. Prior to recently getting the dog, I nordic skiwalked for 45 minutes to an hour per day.
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:42 pm

Kung fu and bodyweight interval training.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:19 pm

I do much the same as sophiasapientia. I walk my dog. She gets one long walk daily and two shorter ones and two very short (around the block) walks early in the morning and just before bed.

I think about weights and stretching exercises, but they almost never happen. If only thinking about something counted!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:20 pm

I work out with DVDs at home. I just finished a three week rotation of cardio and toning band workouts, and tomorrow I am starting a three week rotation of three days cardio, three days barre/ballet/Pilates workouts, and one day rest.

I love the convenience and how DVDs give me access to several instructors at one time. 40 minutes in the morning six days a week and I am set. :)

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:14 pm

I try to exercise a minimum of five days per week. Two of those days I do a circuit training routine with hand weights (pathetic 3-pound hand weights, although I am getting some 5-pounders soon). The other three days I walk - either an outdoor walk that takes 55 minutes to an hour, or a half hour on the treadmill, which is done at a higher speed and I think is actually a better physical workout.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:13 pm

I was doing real well with walking for an hour every morning. Unfortunately, I moved house and got out of my routines and don't have a good early morning walking route anymore :( I really need to find something else that works as well!!!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:14 pm

KCCC wrote:

I think it's important to pick
- something you like
- something that you can fit into your ordinary routine.
This is the most important thing. I used to do a lot of running in college because it was easy to fit into my schedule (I could wake up not too early, eat breakfast, digest, then run before the day really started). Of course, there's no time to do it that way with a job--so I used to force myself to wake up at the crack of dawn to run on an empty stomach. I hated it. I hated the cold, I hated the dark, and I hated feeling hungry and lightheaded while I was running. It just didn't fit into my routine anymore, so I stopped. I'm much happier to exercise now that the workouts I do fit better into my day.

jd4070

Post by jd4070 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:41 pm

Thank you all !
Today 154 lbs.

jd4070

Post by jd4070 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:41 pm

Thank you all !
Today 154 lbs.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:26 am

I have been a "gym rat" in the past. But since about 40 (6 years ago) I started to get almost a revulsion when thinking about working out, running, exercycle, going to the gym, etc. (Although this last March-June I rode an Airdyne 3-4 days a week for up to 40 minutes a shot.)

I do a once a week high intensity SuperSlow workout with dumbells now, at home. (The recession has made me rethink gym dues...)

I find that this approach works for me and don't fear not doing "cardio" or being at the gym 5 days a week. As someone commented in a review of Fred Hahn's "Slow Burn Fitness Revolution" stated: This is a workout for people who don't like to workout.

I have come to realize that I don't like working out anymore.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:58 pm

I've always been a fan of "lifestyle exercise" -- the exercise we get during the course of our daily living.

Walking has always been easy for me. Most of my jobs have required a lot of walking, though I did notice that each successive job seemed to require less and it became necessary to walk more away from work. Even strength exercise was possible at work. I'm a nurse and lifting and moving patients took care of most upper body strength needs.

We've managed to eliminate a lot of the exercise we used to get with various machines. It's been a time-saver and rather gradual, so I don't think we really noticed how much less we moved. From simple things like remotes for the TV, automatic garage door openers, riding lawn mowers, snow and leaf blowers and various motorized trimmers for bushes and such.

I do as much as I can using my own body for the power. Given my health issues, it's not as much as it could or should be, but I'm doing as much as I can.

One very little example -- I've been making my own bread since sometime in the spring. I make it by hand -- no mixer used at all.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:37 pm

For the Cardio : Sprinting, bounding, cycling (Interval training method !)... a few calisthenic exercises, jumping jacks and whatnot + other plyometric cardio agility moves. I'm a very agile bunny. ;-)

For the Muscles, it's mostly body weight training now. Various moves you do using your body weight. Push ups, Squats, Pull ups, etc.

I also do various isometric exercises (A dozen different moves, 1 to 2 minutes for each one). Planks and various upper body, lower body moves to train my whole body. Those seem to be quite effective as I've noticed even only doing them for a few weeks now I am definitely stronger. I can do more push ups, squats, etc. than before I started doing those isometric moves. I read BRUCE LEE was a big fan of isometric exercises and he was super ripped, strong and muscular, heh. :-)

Search Google if you want to find more information about all those good ways to train without any equipment at all.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

38 Years Old, 5'10" Tall
Nov. 1st. 2008 : 280 Pounds
Nov. 1st. 2009 : 190 Pounds
(1 Year : - 90 Pounds)

Current Weight : 193 Pounds