21-day check-in

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mondurvic

21-day check-in

Post by mondurvic » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:21 pm

Not good. I've had lots of bad days, including a couple of binges. Am up four pounds since last weigh-in, 21 days ago, so have put back all but one of the pounds I took off.

Time to get serious again. Will post intake daily on check-in forum.

Sometimes we have other habits that trigger the eating habit. KWIM?

Judy

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:10 pm

Please don't let yourself get discouraged, okay? Just give yourself more time. Patience and perseverance will get you there.

Loneliness, boredom, transitions, grief, stress, peer pressure, a good time, etc. are all triggers for ill-advised eating. Sometimes you can only learn after-the-fact, but the point is to keep learning and trying.

I find that daily posting is a big help, which is why I keep doing it, day after day.

God bless.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:19 pm

A statement running in my head that has helped me is

"Food is just a memory" five minutes after you eat it whether you ate a spoonful or a plateful the taste is a memory so why put your body through that torture of feeling disgusting and then your mind with hating yourself. When you wake up in the morning and you feel good about yourself all day - thats what feels great!

Kevin

Try, try again.

Post by Kevin » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:29 pm

So you're still down one pound...

Gotta tell you, unless you are weighing yourself at exactly the same time of day, under exactly the same conditions, you have no idea whether you're up or down. I vary four pounds in a single day, almost every day (I weigh myself a lot).

Keep at it. Get the hang of it and let your new habit work slowly, over time.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:00 am

Sorry to hear that you've been finding it tough. The great thing here though is that you can try again... and again... and again... You're not even starting over each time cos the bad days don't outdo the good ones.

If writing down everything you eat feels too much like food journaling, try just 'Success' or 'Not so good', with a little detail on what went wrong. that's what I do cos I'm funamentally far too lazy to put down everything I eat every day.

Hope you find your peace again soon. I'm sure you'll be OK in the longer term.

C.
CaroleJo

inghol

Post by inghol » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:32 am

Hello Judy!

Although I have nothing magically helpful to say like the others I have to say that I am experiencing the same thing at the moment. The weight is just not coming off and other than launching those scales out the backdoor I am not sure what to do.
I have even been glancing at those slimming magazines, toying with W.W. etc.,...but christmas is coming and it would be so pointless.
Better to continue "trying" to build better habits I guess.
I also wanted to say how impressed I was reading in your previous logs about the healthy sounding food you eat. It sounded good!!!!!

Best wishes
Love
Ingrid
Life is what happens while you're busy making plans...

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:24 pm

Hey Judith, Judy, and Jood! LOL...
Sorry you gained back some weight through those nasty binge moments.. It's pretty easy to do.. but don't worry.. You can lose it again.. Then if you feel a bit binge-ish, just find something else to do...
And good for you to just come back, fess up (to us and yourself) and then move on!!! Accept things as they are, don't deny them, but then you will see, once you accept it, you can change and transform it!!!
I slipped up for about three weeks back in the October/November time...
Also, gained about two pounds back, and had some minor binge moments... but they stink, so there's really no appeal for them anymore to me... Working on NoS will bring you terrific satisfaction in the short and long run.. Don't let Winter indulgence turn you into a grizzely bear getting ready for hibernation! (that's what I felt like for a few moments there! LOL...)
Make the commitment, and just don't worry about being 100%... Perhaps, even thought your meals look amazingly healthy, part of you really needs some "crappy" food in your life... Perhaps the binge was your way of getting it, when most diets make it "taboo"...
Well the beautiful thing here is that you really can have your cake and eat it too (sorry cliche I know!) but not screw up the overall plan...
And again, I repeat, don't get down on yourself so hard if you mess up...
Avoid the negative cycle and spiral, and just do what Vanilla Gorilla said in his quote signature.... which I happen to love,,,,

"Fall down seven times, get up eight!"....

ps... I know you ate really well with NOS.. I don't recall if you were doing any exercise... Try that! That is one way to keep your spirit up and enforce the NOS as well.. You do well in one arena and then it spills over to the other... Plus it just makes one feel happier and less stressed!...
Hope this wasn't too much of a soapbox lecture for you... I mean to help and hope to inspire..
Good luck!!!

Peace and Love,
Deb

Kevin

Exercise

Post by Kevin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:49 pm

I have to second what Deb mentioned. Exercise. The best weight loss exercise, in my humble opinion, is also the easiest. Walk!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:08 pm

Judith,

1) it's not that bad. You're still down overall. And most scales are not terribly accurate in that range, so maybe there's been less up and down than you think.

2) Still, it sounds like you think your behavior has not quite what it should be, so maybe you're right to use this as a wake up call. Better get refocused now than after you've gone below your starting weight. You're ahead of the game.

3) do start walking, as Deb and Kevin mention. Trying to lose weight with diet alone is like trying to win a war with air power alone. Besides the sheer efficacy of the "combined arms" approach, both exercise and diet are so much less stressful when you know the other is helping. You can then afford to be moderate in both.

Best of luck, and looking forward to reading your daily check-on again,

Reinhard