Advent Calendar.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ang_grrr

Advent Calendar.

Post by ang_grrr » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:07 pm

I don't really bother with an advent calendar but this year I've sewn one and I'd like to use it. This leaves me with a dilemma (outlined in my check-in). Do I put in ordinary sweetie treats then take them out on the appropriate days and hide them, or do I write little IOUs to myself.

Carolejo thinks that one little sweetie every day isn't too bad. What do you think? Or have you an idea for something else to put into those little pockets.
Last edited by ang_grrr on Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:28 pm

To save lots of to-ing and fro-ing, here's what I put on Angela's checkin:
I dunno. I know officially the rules would say "leave them til the weekend", but it's kind of a special thing. Personally, if I had an edible advent calendar I'd make an exception for the one little sweet or chocolate each day from it. Fortunately I'm spared this dilemma because my calendar is the kind with little pictures instead. I also usually burn an advent candle, but I haven't found one for this year yet. I don't know if you can even get those over here in the Netherlands.

If you're just having the one little sweet each day, I can't see that it will do much harm in the longer term. What do the rest of you lot think?
C.
CaroleJo

Kevin

Advent calendar

Post by Kevin » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:31 pm

I think eating a treat every day is not in keeping with the spirit of No-S. At least, that's my thought.

I'd save them up and eat them on the Sabbath.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:45 pm

Hey Angela!

I have no clue how long advent is, but I agree with Kevin, as I'm assuming it's several days or weeks...
The other idea, is to celebrate your "sweet treat" with some kind of non food indulgence like CJ said.. a nice candle ceremony.. maybe light some incense, and have a nice hot bubble bath...
And, by the way, they do make very nice oils and stuff which even smell like chocolate and all that stuff, so you can satisfy your senses in a non-sugar based way..
If my ignorance had made me say anything remotely offensive to our Catholic contingent, lets hope it also made you laugh.. LOL..

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:10 pm

Advent calendar takes the form of 24 windows/pockets that count down from 1st December until 24th December. It's just such a shame that having made it I won't use it properly.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:27 pm

I don't suppose you could get non-edible goodies to put in it? Do you collect thimbles or something else similar (lame, I know! I'm clutching at straws here *grin*)

An IOU in each pocket might be nice though. Then you could use it but still within the rules proper and know that your treats are waiting for you at the end of the week.
Maybe put a song title that you really like on each of the papers and listen to it specially each day? you could even combine it with an IOU for the weekend.

I also think it's a shame that you made a traditional advent calendar and yet you won't be able to use it as such!

Hope you work something out.
C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:50 pm

Time for the council of Reinhard the wise...
Giver of advice...
Founder of us guys... LOL...

Love,
8) Deb

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:55 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:Time for the council of Reinhard the wise...
Giver of advice...
Founder of us guys... LOL...
I bet he tells me I can't have my sweeties *pout*

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:59 pm

Hey you never know! LOL..
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:01 pm

Wow, it's been a decade or so since I've had one of these (I've become so sadly adult). I'd say, go ahead if you want to do it. It's a beautiful tradition and honestly it's probably less calories than the sugar you're allowed to put in your coffee. If the beautiful tradition starts causing all kinds of appetite control problems, then revisit the issue.

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:04 pm

carolejo wrote:I don't suppose you could get non-edible goodies to put in it? Do you collect thimbles or something else similar
Hey, I could put the thimbles on all my fingers and it would stop me picking out my chocolates!

:)

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:12 pm

reinhard wrote: I'd say, go ahead if you want to do it. It's a beautiful tradition and honestly it's probably less calories than the sugar you're allowed to put in your coffee.
You are a truly wise and benevolent leader.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:23 pm

See!!!
LOL..
You are a truly wise and benevolent leader.
Benevolent, wise, kind, cute, strong and courteous..
Oh, the list can go on more but, let's just say...
He is the best Leader in the Entire Universe!

Enjoy your edible calendar! LOL...
Love,
8) Deb

So I guess Richard is allowed one sweet a night for each night of Hannukah??? Oy! LOL...

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:58 pm

Hi Angela,

how was that first advent treat then...? Bet it was good.

C.
CaroleJo

ang_grrr

Post by ang_grrr » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:51 pm

It was nice. I bought a packet of mixed mints so I have a humbug, everton mint, mint toffee, glacier mint or some other thing I don't know the name of each day. It was a humbug to start.