[b]Niruma's Daily Check-In[/b]

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

niruma

[b]Niruma's Daily Check-In[/b]

Post by niruma » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:39 am

Hi,

I am Niruma , and have started today. :)

I am 27 years of age, have a 1 year old and i weigh 198 pounds.
My final target is 135 pounds.
But for christmas i would like to be 190.

I hope i am able to do this because its not very difficult like all other diets and the slogan is also good to remeber and remind myself.

I will post my previous days success on the next day.

I Can Do This

[/b]
Regards,
Uma

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:13 pm

Welcome, Niruma! I hope you find success on the No-S plan and that you enjoy it as much as I have. I will look forward reading your posts!

Kevin

Niruma

Post by Kevin » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:34 pm

Hi Niruma, and welcome!

An eight pound weight loss in one month might be too much to ask for - it seems like most folks hit about a pound a week, maybe a little more to start - but at a pound a week, you'll hit your goal in a year. I'll bet it took a lot longer to gain the extra weight.

Anyway, we look forward to having you here. If you really want to turn up the weight loss, may I suggest Urban Ranger as well? In my experience, nothing is better for weight loss than No-S and brisk walking.

Best regards. Check in often.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Lane

Post by Lane » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:28 pm

Hi Niruma,

I'm relatively new to this board as well -- today's my 18th day. I think you'll find a great bunch of people here who are ready, willing and able to encourage you on your way.

NoS is a great plan. If you're starving between meals as I was during the first week, you're just a meal away from that full feeling that you never get with other programs. It's been getting easier and easier. So welcome and good luck!

Lane 8)

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:15 pm

Hi Niruma,

welcome to NoS! I hope it works out well for you, like it has for me so far. I'm a little worried though, in case you're setting yourself up to fail by starting with an unrealistic goal. I agree with kevin's comments that 8 pounds in a month is perhaps a little bit quicker than ideal... Sure, you can lose that amount of WEIGHT, but it's unlikely to be fat that you've lost, so as soon as things settle down you'll probably end up putting it back on again. If you're still not convinced, consider that there are about 3500 calories in l lb of human fat. You'd need to run a calorie deficit of 7000 calories a week to burn off 8 lbs of fat in a single month. That means that if you did no additional exercise, you'd need to eat no more than about 1200 calories a day, which is not comfortable, healthy or sustainable... Not to mention the fact that this is not about counting calories, which is dull and soul-destroying in itself :lol:

NoS is not quick, but it is very healthy and effective. It's about long term, slow, sustainable weightloss and weight maintainance. I'm 29 and from a starting point of 210 pounds, I've lost just over a stone in weight since I got here (14lb) and my weight is still going down. It's slow though - about 1/2 to 1lb a week. If I weigh myself weekly it's almost too small to be measurable. Yet, I know it's working cos I've lost a whole clothing size and feel so much better in myself.

Anyhow, I hope I haven't put you off with what sounds dangerously like an unsolicited physiology lecture!

Really, the best thing you could count or measure is days on habit. Forget measuring weight, it's unreliable and a poor measure of fitness and health anyway. As long as you're addressing the problem and taking steps to lose weight, what does it matter how long it takes? NoS is a plan to eat like this for the rest of your life, therefore you have the rest of your life before you'll be done. There's no "before and after" pictures here, only "before and during".

Anyhow, I wish you every success. I hope you find peace and health on your journey.

C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:22 pm

Good luck Niruma~
Beautiful name!
Are you African?

I lost around three pounds my first few weeks on NoS... It took me about a year to lose about 20-25 lbs (not totally sure how much because I didn't have an accurate scale at the beginning... oh well, whatever! LOL...)

Focus on your habit building and make sure to do some exercise every day...
Hope you have fun!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

niruma

Thanks everybody

Post by niruma » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:37 am

Hi,

I was really nice and encouraging to see so many replies.

thanks a lot to teach one of you. :D

I guess you people are right i will stop couting numbers altogether and try and get into the number of NoS days.

It will probably help then - yesterday was a failure... as i had buiscuits with tea ( i normally have).. but that's not the thing...

i had some deep fried stuff whicle going back from work to home.. this is not routine - its actually a very rare case - but i am surprised it happened yesterday. I had this chaat thing after 2 months so....

i want to be concious of this rules of No S for a few days and begin from Saturday.. because here our weekend is Thursday and Friday so i will make an exception and take my S days as Thurs and Fri..

well Thanks a lot everybody........ shall post here regularly........
BTW i am an Indian and am currently living and working in the Middle East.

Love yourselves
Niruma
Regards,
Uma

niruma

New Thread

Post by niruma » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:00 am

Hi,

Me started a new thread - because i had a long weekend and 3 S days so decided to count the beginning from Today.

Ok then
Pls ping me there
Have a great day :)
Regards,
Uma