Why Americans are fatter

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

brownstudy

Why Americans are fatter

Post by brownstudy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:56 pm

This is a link to a libertarian economics blog called Marginal Revolution. They quote from a new book that posits the reason Americans are getting fatter is because of their snacking, caused by Americans seeking comfort foods to escape the stress of their daily lives.

Hmmm. Maybe a little exercise and No S-ing would help too? :)

Marginal Revolution: Why Americans are fatter
http://www.marginalrevolution.com/margi ... ans_a.html
Mike Brown

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:36 pm

I do think snacking is at (or close to) the root of the obesity epidemic, and that it's not fair to just blame the greedy companies that are satisfying our greedy appetites (not to let them off the hook either, there is plenty of blame to go around).

But I think the reason we snack goes deeper than stress seeking comfort. For one thing, the high level stress we feel today is nothing like the deeply uncomfortable stress we used to feel when famine, sword, and fire were the most pressing problems on people's minds.

Why do we snack so much now? Because families are smaller and farther flung so social meals are less so, because moms are busier with other stuff so there's no dedicated cook, because (sedentary) commutes are longer so we eat on the road, because science has made convenience food very convenient indeed, and finally, yes, because value added processed food means higher profit margins and advertising budgets for companies selling the stuff. All of these factors feed into and exacerbate one another. Many (most? all?) represent trade-offs for great benefits that we'd probably rather not undo (unless you're for getting rid of the automobile and birth control). In any case, harping on these macro-forces tends not to turn most of us into effective political activists, but rather passive, personal defeatists.

Temptation is not coercion.

Thanks for the link!

Reinhard

Big Phil

Pro-American

Post by Big Phil » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:53 am

Just to add a little balance and put things in perspective I would also add that Americans are per-capita the richest people in the world and have just about the cheapest food. Why do you eat so much rich food - because you can! Same as us Australians. Ordinary calories and food are ridiculously cheap compared to income, so retailers try to upscale you to maintain margins. Why have an ordinary water out of the tap (about $0.06 per metric tonne) when you could have fantastic, sweet, exciting, sexy coke for $1.00 per 375ml ($2667 per tonne).
Poverty has it's dangers - starvation, death, pain, violence and affluence has its dangers - obesity, laziness, disconnection. I just prefer the dangers of affluence for myself and family.
It's just up to us to learn how to deal with the dangers of affluence. Fortunately the Western world, especially post enlightenment, has a good history of dealing with problems as they arise.

Phil.

Prodigalsun

Post by Prodigalsun » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:03 pm

Eating in cars is a big issue in America. I own an Infiniti G20. The car is great, gets 30 miles to the galon, is sporty and luxurious, all in all couldn't ask for a better car in this era of $2.50 gasoline. One glaring problem in the car. One cup holder, that based on it's position, can only take a 12 ounce can of pop. Everything else is beautifully designed on the car, so I was really stunned at the lack of drink holders.

I asked the question on one of the G20 owners forums, and the first response told me all I needed. The G20 was designed for the European market, sold as the Nissan Primera. The car in Europe doesn't have cup holders, because Europeans tend not to eat in their cars. It's a cultural thing.

Perhaps another reason why we're fatter than the French?

Personal note, I'm back on the No S bandwagon, going 2 weeks now. I'll check into the Daily Checkins sometime next week.
--

Starting Weight: 275
Current: 269
Goal: 190

"I shovel well, I shovel very very well."

Prodigalsun

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:06 pm

I've actually heard something else very similar before.

Mercedes Benz. Top of the range European car. Doesn't sell very well in the US and they couldn't work out why...

....til someone pointed out that it didn't have cupholders. :lol: Capiche?!

It seems it doesn't matter how luxurious, sporty or exclusive (read 'expensive') a car is, if it doesn't have cup holders it'll never break into the American market.

I *definately* think that says something.

C.
CaroleJo

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:07 pm

welcome back, btw. I had wondered where you'd got to. :P
CaroleJo

Prodigalsun

Post by Prodigalsun » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:31 pm

thanks, Carolejo, hadn't gone anywhere, just sitting on my couch pounding down Hostess Cup Cakes and watching the belly grow. I have kept up withe exercise, so I've only regained about 5 pounds of the 20 I lost.
--

Prodigalsun

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:26 pm

Prodigal!
LOL..
Stay on the bandwagon and pound down those cupcakes on S days!
Glad you are still exercising strong, and glad you are back!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:40 pm

The Prodigalsun has returned!

(Sorry, *someone* had to say it.)
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Prodigalsun

Post by Prodigalsun » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:28 am

Deb! thanks for the welcome.

Navin, you're right, someone had to say it.
--

Prodigalsun

Michele

Post by Michele » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:33 pm

I had to do a paper recently on illnesses and older adults, the one I wrote on is diverticulitis. It makes pockets in your colon, and is claimed to be the result from eating processed, low fiber foods. google has some interesting pictures of what it looks like, I will spare the details, but How you eat now will effect your overall health in the years to come.
I wanted to call my paper: Diverticulitis, the true pain in the :o
I didn't think it would fly, so, I left that part out. So if we start eating healthier now, we will enjoy our retirement years a little bit better :D

I have been a bad one for eating food that was too greasy, unhealthy whatever, but most of that stuff bothers me now, so, I am glad for the NOS diet.

Have a great day!
S. Michele

storm fox

nodding in agreement...

Post by storm fox » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:31 pm

Very well put, Phil and all. I've done some research on "affluenza" and it's amazing how many problems stem from it or are related to it.