Waiting for Lunch

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sinnie

Waiting for Lunch

Post by Sinnie » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:42 pm

Hi everyone,

Well, I don't do No-S perfectly, in fact I had given up for awhile, but I am still trying to do it as much as I can. I find my problem is between meals I get hungry, and when I am hungry I get irritable and can't concentrate on my work.

Like this morning, I wasn't overly hungry at all, but I had a toasted small bun, one half with light margarine, the other half with natural peanut butter and coffee with light cream. I know it wasn't the most substantial, but that's all I could eat.

Then around 11am I couldn't wait any longer to eat again. So I started eating some peanut butter, small handful of walnuts, bit of cheese, nutella spread...a bowl of cheerios with skim milk..couple bites of soup...I am the queen of picking at foods. I didn't overeat, but was full and felt good. So instead of calling it a failure because it was actually supposed to be a snack, I decided to call it lunch and just not eat the pasta I have cooking in the oven right now.

Do any of you have this problem? I find I usually can't hold out very well...

Thanks for any input,
Cynthia

peetie

Post by peetie » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:16 pm

Hi Cynthia,
I think since you weren't really hungry when you had breakfast, you could try to wait next time until you are hungry and then just have a later breakfast. That way you could eat something more substantial, and that should be able to hold you better til lunch.

Some people on this board who have a problem between two particular meals even after tweaking up the meal, add a mini meal in there.

Peetie

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:46 pm

Thanks Peetie, you do make an excellent point. I should have waited to eat breakfast. I guess the most important thing is making this work as a life long plan - not a diet that has to be adhered to perfectly.

spiralstares

Post by spiralstares » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:02 pm

I agree with Peetie, have a later breakfast.

You may still get hungry but that's okay. A little hunger (the kind that arises between meals) is a good thing. It means your body is beginning to burn stored energy. That's what you want. You'll get used to it.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:02 pm

Hi Cynthia,

Three (re)suggestions:

1) eat bigger, later breakfasts so you don't get painfully hungry. It can take some trial and error to get these important details right.

2) As spiralstares suggests, reinterpret (mild) hunger: it means "I haven't been overeating. I'm burning more calories than I've taken in. I'm succeeding." At the same time, think of how much you'll enjoy the next, coming meal. With a little nudge from your conscious self, hunger becomes intimately associated with feelings of triumph and anticipation.

3) if 1 and 2 won't cut it, consider the mini-meal as Peetie suggests.

Keep us posted,

Reinhard

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:07 pm

Thanks all so much for the suggestions. I read them with such anticipation! I love learning from masters.

Anyways, today I my problem was not breakfast or lunch - I nailed those two. My problem arised at Dinner (or prior to). I got home from school at 4:30pm and I knew I just couldn't wait for dinner. I didn't feel weak or have a growling stomach, but I felt very hungry, like I would not be able to run my errands or start my work until I ate. So I did. And I lost a bit of control. I even had half (or a little more) of a pastry. I felt like I couldn't help myself.

Rather than write this off as a total failure and keeping eating, I'm going to count it as my third meal (albeit one huge meal) and I don't expect to have any problems resisting the rest of the night.

The only small accomplishment here is I would normally keep on binging until I go to bed. It is 5pm now, I have a bunch of stuff to do, a fav TV show on tonight and hope to workout, all b4 bedtime at 10pm. I should be ok not eating anymore.

Does this ever happen to anyone here? Maybe I just need more practice, but when I get that hungry, it's like I am useless until I eat...such a pain in the butt!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:50 pm

Oh yes, I know what you are going through. I'm pretty successful with no-s, but there are times when I really get hungry between meals. I can't drive like that (we're in the country and everything is highway and many miles away) and sometimes it's even hard just to work around the house or church. If I were in school, and trying to study, it would be impossible! Fortunately, this doesn't happen very often, but when it does, I just break down and have something. My favorite between-meal hunger killer is a glass of orange juice. If I really and truly can't wait to the next meal, a small glass of juice will do the trick. It's fat-free, not too high in calories,contains no added sugar5, all-natural, and filled with vitamins. Maybe you could try this and see if it helps?

piratejenny

milk

Post by piratejenny » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:30 pm

When I get super hungry between meals, I will often have a glass of milk. Or, if I'm concerned about calories, I might make a large pot of decaf coffee (or buy one from Starbucks etc), particularly flavored coffee because it tastes like a treat. (I looooove coffee!) I put milk or cream in the coffee but no sugar. After drinking that down (the larger the better), I find that even the small amount of milk/cream is enough to take the edge off and tide me over until my next meal. It works way better than a glass of water.

I expect a cup of tea with milk would have the same effect.