n00b Shovelglover checking in

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
SilentButDeftly

n00b Shovelglover checking in

Post by SilentButDeftly » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:03 pm

So I've had some good luck with No-S over the past few weeks and I'm obviously going to do my best to continue with that, but I've decided to take on some Shovelgloving to help me out too. The other week I stopped by the local Home Despot and all they had were 8-pound and 16-pound sledgehammers, so I decided to start with the 8-pounder. I took a few "trial runs" at shovelgloving for a few days, just to see what it would feel like, and then on Thursday (I figured it would be good to start on Dec. 1, just to turn a new leaf a month early or something) I started up the 14-minute timer and started shoveling away.

I used to consider myself a fairly strong guy and I thought that 8 pounds might be a little light, but it's quite a workout -- don't underestimate the power of torque. Especially "The Movement With No Name" -- by the 5th or 6th time, you can really feel it.

I think I might have a new addiction -- and also good preparation for a New England winter. :wink:
"I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean, S-M-A-R-T! I am so smart!"

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:24 pm

Hey SBD! LOL..
Enjoy your new Warrior status as a Shovelglove practitioner!

SG will definitely help pass the Winter in a nice way!
You will feel like real shovelling is easy after a few months at it!

ps... I always avoided "no name"... It was too hard! LOL...

If you ever want to upgrade... Consider buying your sledge through Amazon and then if you click on the special link, our esteemed leader, Reinhard gets a tiny cut of the sale, with no price increase for you..
(Shameless plug... He didn't put me up to it! LOL...)

Have fun!!!
Peace and Glove,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:57 pm

Welcome to shovelglove, Silent.

Leverage can make 8 pounds very heavy. A while ago someone posted a link to a turn of the century strongman who pumped himself up to Mr. universe levels with (essentially, it was a slightly more complicated device) a 10 pound sledge.

Looking forward to some sox inspired moves,

Reinhard

JWL

Post by JWL » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:31 am

yes, leverage/torque is your friend. Experiment with it. Work with that for a while. If you ever want to upgrade, I had some luck using adjustible ankle weights wrapped around the business end of the hammer.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net