sustainability and natural balance - your natural weight

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

carolejo

sustainability and natural balance - your natural weight

Post by carolejo » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:33 am

On Lane's Checkin, Freakwitch wrote:
In terms of weighing, I was on No-S for nearly half a year before I started weighing myself. The weighing isn't the important thing, the doing is. Don't ever forget that. As far as losing weight as fast as me, that will be hard for most people in terms of pounds. But if you think in terms of percentage of body weight, it becomes a bit more in line. Don't forget I probably weigh at least twice what you do, and will therefore probably lose pounds twice as fast.

Put another way (weigh, heh), try thinking in terms of total body weight percentage rather than pounds. I lost 5 pounds in 10 days, but that's about 1.5 percent of my body weight (about 330 or so). So for a 150 pound person, the same percentage would be about 2.25 pounds over that same 10 days.
I really agree with this analysis and I started to make a reply to this on Lane's checkin too, but then realised that it was a much more general point I wanted to make. I'd be interested to see what the rest of you think.

When all you're really doing is eating at a sensible and sustainable level, how quickly you lose weight will definately be a function of how much you actually need to lose. That's another reason why I think NoS is great - your 'final'* stable weight is NOT goverened by some artificial number that either you or someone else thought up, it's governed naturally by your body, which, as it gets into balance, and will gradually get to be the correct and healthy weight for YOU.

I've seen on here that some people come and try to use NoS simply as a way to lose a load of weight, when they might not actually need to lose so much anyway. These people tend to get dissillusioned with the slow pace of things and give up I think. (I can't know this for sure, cos usually they just vanish). Perhaps they're just not ready to hear the message. Our perceptions of what is good and healthy as a society are usually way off - we try and try to get thinner and thinner to reach some "twiggy-style" supermodel ideal, yet all we ultimately get is FATTER overall. The cycle of diet and binge and diet and binge that trapped so many of us in the past ultimately only screws up the metabolism and our bodies go into "preparation for famine" mode, piling on a load of excess fat. Losing the weight isn't that hard. Keeping it off IS. Especially when your body is not in balance.

I guess what I'm trying to say (in my usual long-winded fashion :lol: ) is that the really important thing about NoS for me is NOT the weight loss. It's the fact that I feel like my body is getting into balance properly for perhaps the first time ever. Of course, I'm losing weight. I've got quite a lot of excess fat to lose, so it's not really a surprise. Yes, if you've only got a couple of pounds to lose and you really *do* need to lose it, you almost certainly WILL lose it by doing NoS seriously and properly, but it will probably take a very long time. BUT If you think you need to lose a couple of pounds, but you don't actually need to lose it, you probably WON'T lose any weight here. And I don't think that's what It should be about.

*I realise that there is no 'final weight'. What your healthy weight is will change over time depending on the level of activity you do (muscle mass vs fat), height, build and even age) but by this I mean the correct healthy weight for your body when it is in balance.
CaroleJo

JWL

Post by JWL » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:25 pm

I agree with your analysis, carolejo. Restoring balance is one powerful aspect of No-S, not just in terms of nutrition, but also in terms of one's relationship with food, particularly where food is so abundant. We've all discussed the relationship between food and society, a very complex topic, but No-S allows a person to reassert control over how they consume food in a consumer-oriented society.

As I and so many others have reported, it fosters a sense of balance, a sense of enjoying "treats" guilt-free within the No-S parameters. And as Lane wrote recently, we become grateful for our 3 feasts each day.

This transformation is the real power of No-S. It seems to me that it fixes the root problem of which weight gain is a symptom; for so many of us our relationship with food consumption is so out of balance that we gain weight as a result. So a program that only targets weight loss is thinking symptomatically. But the obesity problem (perhaps most visibly in the states) is a systemic problem, and No-S gets to the root of it.

Once this systemic inbalance is more balanced through No-S, we get healthier and lose weight.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

peetie

Post by peetie » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:26 pm

Carolejo, I am with you 100%. In my case, the reason I came here in the first place was just to get off the diet merry go round. I wanted to eat like a normal person and accept whatever body weight resulted. I was tired of starving to maintain a weight too low to comfortably sustain, and didn't like the wild bingeing that drove me to a higher weight than was healthy or comfortable.

So, I think that put me in an advantageous position here. I came here to accept myself at a healthy weight. To learn that not dieting does not mean eating whatever you want whenever you want....to find the balance between the two extremes of starvation diets and bingeing all over the place with reckless abandon.

Ultimately, unless we want to stay at war with our bodies, we will have to accept the weight we are when we are eating in a healthful, moderate way.

My irony is, I went on my first diet at age 15 (during the Twiggy era you mention, Carolejo) and my weight was a few pounds heavier than I am now. I fluctuate between 120 and 125, and I was 127. I wonder, now, if I'd just accepted that weight and gotten on with my life in lieu of decades of starving and bingeing, if my skin would be firmer today. I know for sure I'd have saved myself all the ups and downs physically and emotionally.

My lowest weight has been 95 lbs. and my highest 165. And here I am, about where this whole thing started....and thinking I look pretty good for an old broad! How sad I didn't know I looked pretty good as a young broad too! Pictures make me wonder how I didn't see it!

Peetie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:53 am

Peetie,
We see with our minds, not our eyes...
I just looked at a whole bunch of old photos of myself over the past 24 years, at my Grandparents home, this weekend... It was truly surreal..
I was pretty slender then, but felt like crap and thought I looked like crap...
Probably I was a good sixty pounds lighter than I am now!
Very strange, and sad.. I really didn't like myself back then...
I really do like myself now...
See you later Prunie, CJ and FW...
:wink: Deb

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:07 pm

I'm with you on the 'seeing with our minds' thing Deb, although in my case the opposite vision is usually true. As I've written before, my residual body image is *still* that of a rather gangly and skinny kid. For some reason, despite all physical evidence to the contrary, I genuinely look in the mirror most of the time and see a skinny person staring back at me...
Even if half the clothes in my wardrobe no longer fit. Even if I get out of breath halfway up my own staircase. :roll: It's usually only when someone takes a photograph that I get a more accurate look at how I'm really doing. It's amazing, our capability for self-deception. I mean, how can clothes that have been sitting in the back of the cupboard untouched for weeks on end POSSIBLY have shrunk in the wash...? :lol:

Liking yourself and feeling comfortable in your own skin is something that is actually not very tightly linked to your actual physical appearance and weight, I think. At least these days I know that as long as I'm 80% good and try to stick to NoS for the rest of my life (no chore at all, really!) my body will find it's own level. I can get on with the rest of my life, knowing that my weight will take care of itself and I'll end up just fine. It's really an amazing feeling.

C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:18 pm

Yay Carolejo!!!!
You see the gangly kid in the mirror because she has never left you...
I really believe that it is with our inner feelings that we view ourselves and the world around us...
Love,
8) Deb