KCCC's 2011 Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

KCCC's 2011 Check-in

Post by kccc » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:14 am

My old thread was getting so long that I decided to start a new one for 2011. Seemed like a good transition point.

Today has been the 3rd in a series of S-days. I will be quite ready for N-days tomorrow!

Starting weight, just for the record, 145.5. Usual range is 144-146, so that's not bad considering the holiday eating.

Prior check-ins:
May 2008-Dec 2010
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3274

March-May 2008 "backsliding" check in
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2706
Last edited by kccc on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:46 pm

Monday, and back at work.

The gym is not yet open, which messes up my morning routine. :( I did manage 15 minutes of Pilates this morning, and am trying to fit in some short walks during the day.

Br - yogurt with honey.
L (planned) - leftover spinach/mushroom strata, apple, cherry tomatoes
D - TBD. Needs to use up mushrooms and bell pepper, though. I'd do omelets, but we just had a big brunch and I'm tired of "breakfast food."

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:36 pm

Nothing like leaving your "smart phone" at home the first day of work to make you feel dumb all day. That's what happened yesterday, so when I was late home, hubby couldn't contact me. Fortunately, he took the initiative to make mac'n'cheese, and I got home as it was in process and added some veggies. Since I am not fond of mac'n'cheese, and my son and hubby can eat a package between them, I had more strate, sauteed mushrooms, and peas and carrots. Very good.

Tuesday
Exercise - 15 minutes gentle morning yoga (gym still closed)

Br - oatmeal with cranberries
L (planned) - more leftover strata (there's a lot of it, lol! Good thing I like it), salad, apple
D (semi-planned) - salad, turkey (not sure what I'll do with it - it's leftover cooked turkey that I took out of the freezer this morning), some sort of carb (potatoes, maybe?) and another veg/fruit. Hm... the family would love mashed potatoes and turkey with gravy. We'll see.

I did quite well with my eating over the holidays - enough to enjoy, not enough to regret - but rather fell off on exercise. So, that's getting some attention now, but the gym being closed is a challenge. Getting up to do 15 minutes of exercise in the morning before I dress and drive is hard for me... I want to sleep during that time, and exercise when I first wake up is NOT what I want to do.

However..."Synchonicity is the universe knocking at your door," a friend of mine says. Yoga Journal is starting a 21-day challenge (do yoga for 21 days) and the copy that came last night offered a VERY gentle short routine to start (along with some recommendations for "self-compassion" when building new habits). The routine was just enough to "count", and nice to wake up with.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:24 am

Dinner ended up being a sort of turkey divan, which used up a lot of odds and ends of veggies as well as the turkey. (Veggies, turkey, turkey broth, half-and-half, pasta). Good stuff. And got in a bit of a walk - not a full-out exercise walk, but better than sitting all day.

Looking forward to the gym being open! :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:13 pm

Wednesday 1/5/11

Anusara Yoga class - an exhausting one. But good. This class challenges me to my absolute limit.

Br - oatmeal with almonds
L - leftover strata, salad, figs.

I usually treat myself at the grocery store by the yoga studio (they have a great food bar), but since I had so many leftovers, I just got a small container of "salad toppings" - stuff I like but wouldn't have at home to put on salad. Split that between today's salad and tomorrow's lunch, which will be exactcly the same thing!

D - TBD. Something on the soft side - hubby is getting a crown today. But I intend to put some whole-wheat bread in the breadmaker!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:49 am

Missed on the bread, so made buttermilk biscuits instead. I had one, plus a cup of 15-bean soup and a banana. Also had some buttermilk, mostly to finish it up. (Bought it to make biscuits for our brunch, and I'm the only one who will drink it.)

LOVE having soup in the freezer for an instant supper. But that was the last, alas... so I'll need to make more soon!

Meal plan for Thursday:
Br - yogurt with cranberries*, banana
L -same as Wednesday
D - homemade chicken fingers and potato wedges (not nearly so bad as bought stuff!), veg/fruit.

*I had some leftover cranberry relish - the homemade stuff, which I love -and tried it in my plain Greek yogurt. Taste test was amazingly good.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Forgot to add that I walked and did abs this morning. Not enough steps, but I'm getting back into it... Nice to get to the gym. :)

Re-read the "finish it up" line about the buttermilk... hm. Thought I was past treating myself as a receptacle for unwanted food, but that's what that sounds like.

I do actually like buttermilk, it's just that I don't normally drink milk (except in my cafe au lait) and wouldn't have thought about doing so if not prompted by the fact that it would go bad if it weren't used. So, once reminded, I decided I did want it.

Just reminding myself that it's perfectly okay to drink it if I want it, and it's ALSO perfectly okay to throw it out if I don't... but I need to be careful not to cross those wires.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:43 pm

Dinner last night as planned. And I added bedtime yoga into the mix - a slightly more vigorous one than intended, but good(forgot my cheat sheet at work, and the podcast I subbed was harder).

Yoga Journal is doing a 21-day "Yoga Every Day" challenge starting 2011. I have decided to take that on, but am setting "what counts" at a low level (15 minutes of gentle bedtime yoga is good enough). The goal is to build some kind of home practice, beyond the few forward bends I do while waiting on my coffee...

Exercise today: Killer step class (and it was, after not doing it over the holidays). And I'll get in my yoga tonight.

Br - yogurt with cranberries, figs
L (planned) - the LAST of the strata, leftover California Blend veggies. Usually I have 3 things, so feel I am missing a fruit or veg... will live, though.
D (planned) - leftover potato wedges, and a reprise of the chicken fingers. I'd planned to do something else with the rest of the chicken, but since we have leftover potatoes and my son LOVED my chicken nuggets, I'll make them again. (And they're easy!) Some veggie/fruit... yesterday was California Blend and cinnamon apples.

The recipe for potato wedges: Cut each potato into 8 wedges the long way. Put on baking sheet, skin side down. Spray with veg oil, then sprinkle with spice blend. Bake 20 min in 450F (preheated) oven. Spice blend - mix equal parts salt, garlic powder, paprika, and half that amount black pepper. (I used 1/2 tsp of the first group.) I used 4 potatoes, expecting to eat 1/person (like a baked potato) and have some left for lunches. However, we ate closer to 1/2 to 3/4 potato per person, so have about half left over for tonight.

The chicken was just cut-up boneless chicken breast dipped in milk and cracker crumbs, then baked.

My son asked what the meal was, and I said "a healthier version of chicken nuggets" (he likes chicken nuggets). He asked "why do you always try to make everything healthy?" I answered "because then you can have it more often. I don't want us to eat fast food very much, but I don't mind making these." He liked the idea that he could eat them more often. However, I think the real win is that they simply TASTE BETTER, and I need to make sure to point that out as well!

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:06 pm

Now I really want to make some buttermilk biscuits, KCCC. Are they difficult to make? Could you post a recipe?

Maybe I'll have an American dinner with my family sometime this weekend... we can make chicken thighs in the oven and eat biscuits with them :)

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Well, now I want biscuits too.... :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Lol! Sorry to whet your appetite, thtrchic and Anoulie!

Here's my recipe for buttermilk biscuits. As breads go, they're kind of high fat/calorie. (Don't go all diet-head about it, but be aware.)

For those of you not used to biscuits... these are not sweets! Split and eat with butter/jam... or sometimes with gravy, though it becomes a fork-and-knife dish then. Best served warm.

Buttermilk Biscuits (makes about 9)

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 teaspoons chilled butter -- cut into pieces
3/4 cup buttermilk

Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a bowl; cut in chilled butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk, and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Turn dough out onto a floured surface; knead 4 or 5 times. Roll dough to about 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter (a glass also works - flour the rim). Re-roll and recut scraps. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 450F deg for 10-12 minutes or until golden.

Enjoy!

(PS - Bisquik belongs on my "not in MY kitchen" list - though I have a substitution formula for those times when I run across recipes that call for it.)

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:38 am

Dinner plans changed... Was getting home late (again) and we needed to go out to a bookstore to get a b'day present. Hubby called while I was on the road, suggested meeting there and eating out since I was running so very late.

It's Friday night, and that sounded like a fun plan. "Family date night" (as we call it when it's all three of us).

So we went to the bookstore and then ate at a steak place. I decided to "do the S-day slide" (which I sometimes do if we're doing something festive on Fridays - start Friday night, and will end after lunch on Sunday.)

So, I enjoyed some extra bread with my steak salad, and had a little chocolate when I got home. Lovely indulgence.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:12 pm

Capturing stuff from the main board...

From Noel
And my reaction...
Okay, Noel, I have just spent a few HOURS on the sites you linked to. (Well, off and on. And I suppose no one was holding me hostage to make me do it.)

And a few puzzle pieces fell into place with almost an audible click.

- On Thursdays, I need to pack an especially portable lunch because I have a meeting that meets right at lunchtime. Most people carry in fast food, but I'd rather have my own lunch... but something I have to heat or spread out in multiple containers is not the best choice, and I'm tired of sandwiches-for-Thursday. I've been thinking about how to make that particular lunch more portable and interesting.
- Playing with bento would make planning it more fun. And one-day-a-week is a good way to try it out.
- Fortunately, I work at home on Wednesdays. So I have a little time to cook things-that-take-time. Like whole grains.
- I almost do bento already - I pack a lunch every day, and sort of have a pattern for it. It's really not that big a step.
- I have plastic containers in about the right sizes, and even a few glass ones for things I want to microwave.

And some of the prior barriers fell...
- No need to fill with traditional Japanese food (I knew that, but good to be reminded)
- I like a different ratio than the traditional bento - but it's exactly the one found on the first site link above (1:1:2). That works.
- It doesn't have to be fussy/perfect/difficult. Keep it at a fun level (Again...yes, I know that, but I need reminding sometimes).
- I don't need a lot of "stuff". I have things that would work. (But I reserve the right to amuse myself with fun boxes later.)
Off to inventory what containers I do have...

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:53 am

Just catching up on 'old' posts and have to say I love bento. I got one for my son and wish I had one, too :)

On biscuits: I made biscuits the other night and they were by far the best I've ever made. The only difference was I used (full fat, Fage) yogurt thinned with whole milk instead of buttermilk, because that is what I had on hand. There have been requests that I continue making them this way :)
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:05 pm

Dandelion! How great to see you! (Okay, "read" you. But you know what I mean.)

I have kept and used buttermilk powder (like dried milk, only buttermilk) because I'm the only one who will drink buttermilk and I don't generally drink much milk at all (except in coffee). REAL buttermilk makes better biscuits, though. I'll try the yogurt trick - I usually have plain yogurt on hand. (I make an Irish Soda bread that uses either buttermilk or yogurt, so that makes total sense.)

We are off work for a snow day - I'm in the part of the South blanketed by snow, and of course there is NO infrastructure for coping. That's true on a personal level as well as a regional one - I do own gloves and a hat/scarf, but my rain boots are a poor substitute for snow boots (feet got cold FAST)... though my old leggings from my aerobic glory days worked well as faux long-underwear under jeans. If I go back out again (and truth to tell, I'm willing to merely admire the beauty through the window), I'll put some wool down in my boots as insulation. The benefits of having a sister who spins - I have some raw wool I can use to make McGyver snow boots!

So far, the power has stayed on, but if we have any sleet, I know it won't from sad past experience. I've done all the laundry and dishes, checked on candles and firewood...and made sure my laptop and phone are charged, lol!

A bit hard to shift back to No-S today... nothing to mark the "return to N" (like going back to work). I'm coping by making "comfort food" meals that fill me up (and maybe piling up my plate a bit). Wish I weren't almost out of flour... I'd make bread for dinner, etc. Oh well.

But I did exercise. Started the 21-day yoga challenge today, with a 45-minute sequence. So that was good. Then I walked in the snow for ... oh, 15 minutes possibly, lol! (I'm really not much for playing in snow.) I may go out again later... or not. A book is calling me.

Br - made waffles, to the delight of my family. Had mine with cream cheese and the rest of the cranberry sauce, which was quite good.
L - chicken quesadillas, chips and salsa, salad and fruit. A pretty big plate, even with only a small handful of tortilla chips on it.
D - I have chicken and barley already cooked - just needs warming. I could put more stock in it (which I made last night from the chicken bones) for soup, or serve as is and freeze the stock for later. To be determined. Will add fruit/veg, of course.

If the power goes off, I have good cheese and crackers, in addition to the usual basic sandwich stuff.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:51 pm

Still a snow day. We have neighbor children over for a bit, which is marvelous - my little extrovert needs the company. Even did an impromptu sleepover last night.

However, coming on top of the holidays, long days where we can't go anywhere quickly lose charm unless there's a bit of structure. So, I'm trying to work that out.

So far...
Enough work to feel a sense of accomplishment.
Enough exercise for energy.
Enough shared activity for connection.
Enough good food for satisfaction.
Enough personal time for a sense of renewal.

The "enough work" is to combat the feeling of time lost later. A few chores-that-I-normally-don't-get-to (like cleaning out a closet) really takes the edge off that. Or a bit of "work work" that needs attention.

"Enough exercise" speaks for itself. If I don't do something, I sink into lethargy and get cranky.

"Shared activity" is because the three of us can easily go off into our own individual electronic holes... not healthy, IMHO. Planning a game, or engaging in a shared chore, keeps us connected and affectionate.

"Good food"... No-S is harder for me on holidays and snow days, and the best way to combat that is VERY satisfying meals. And I NEED the 3-meal structure to anchor my daily routine.

And "personal time" is reading or knitting or whatever else I want to do. It needs to be on the list as a RIGHT, an important thing in and of itself. But I am deeply aware that if I take it first, before I've done a bit of work, it doesn't feel good. It feels like procrastination. (Work hard, play hard... in that order. That's what works best for me.)

So, for this morning...

I've done a bit over half an hour of yoga (exercise), and showered. I made pancakes for the crowd (sleepover child's favorite). However, I had a small plain one to make sure they were cooking properly, then decided I really didn't want pancakes and got Greek yogurt for my breakfast. (This is not "being good," it's "listening to my own desires." I consider pancakes a legit No-S breakfast, but I'm just not that fond of heavy carbs first thing, and I had waffles yesterday.)

Lunch will be more turkey-barley soup with homemade bread and fruit (last night's supper). We have a ton, so I've invited the neighbor family - a nice bit of connection time. (Though we may fit in a game or something else as well.) And they are taking all the boys this afternoon, so I'll have down time for me then. And maybe some work time - I do have some deadlines that won't be moving just because we're snowed in.

I've also informed my son that "holiday rules" are back in effect. Essentially, when we're out of school for an extended period, he is required to do "one chore a day" over and above his usual chores. That's SO minimal, but you would not believe the fussing it can entail! However, I think it helps structure the family time better, and sets a good example - and he is learning that he can either choose to resist it for hours or just spend a few minutes and knock it out and be done. That' a lesson I wish I'd learned earlier in life!

Not sure what I'll do for supper... wish I'd stocked up on more fresh veg. We have salad and fruit, but I'd love a lot of the slow-cooking stuff, and all I have in that department are carrots and onions. Oh well. Will figure out something. Tomorrow I'll do a 15-bean soup with ham in it...

So... happy snow day! :)

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi KCCC,
I know this is off track but I was wondering what chores you give your son. I think he and my daughter are roughly the same age (10?) and I'm wondering what to give her on a regular basis. She makes her bed as a rule and sets and clears the table. She also helps by sweeping our front verandah. But I think she's old enough for me to be adding a few more things now. Do you have some suggestions that work in your family?
cheers
Fun
x

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:54 pm

Hi, FunFuture! Yes, my son is 10. I got a book a while back called "Housekeeping with Kids" that had a list of age-appropriate chores in it that we use.

It also has some recommendations we've adopted.
- The number of family chores for kids should equal to "half their age"
- Chores are "individual" (getting dressed, picking up clothes and putting them in the hamper, etc.) or "family" (setting table, doing things that benefit everyone.) Individual ones are non-negotiable. Family ones can be negotiated.
- At our house, "extra" chores can be done for $$, but ONLY if all usual ones are done. (The book recommends linking allowance and chores, but we don't... our stance is that basic chores and basic allowance each are a "given" - part of being a family.)
- Family chores are divided pretty evenly between "daily" and "weekly" chores (just like what it sounds like).
- Everyone does chores. (This means that we make it clear that Mom and Dad also have chores - it's just part of life.)

In theory, we let ds pick his family chores from the list each week. In practice, he keeps the same general list, but if he starts complaining about one we offer the option to swap it for another chore - he sometimes does that, and sometimes just stops complaining!

His current list: Set table (which he sometimes swaps for cleaning off if he's absorbed in something when I ask), feed cats, bring in groceries from the car, help sort/fold laundry, pick up his stuff from front of house wen I ask (that's not daily, but more than weekly).

Other tasks we've included in the past: water plants (I have a tiny garden), sweep off deck, "zone cleaning" (deep cleaning in an area in his room), table-clearing, picking up sticks from the yard, bringing up firewood (with Dad). Probably more, but I can't really think of them right now. The current list is the most stable.

In general, if he buckled down, a chore wouldn't take more than 15 minutes. Of course, every now and then it takes hours of resistance first, lol!

(One strategy I use for time-sensitive chores... I just do it, but he owes me a different chore. I really try to "collect" on those - and make them a bit bigger if I can - to make the point. That evolved from having to fuss too much to get him to set the table - I'd rather just do it and have him do something else than fight when I'm trying to get dinner.)

Hope there's something in there you can use. All kids/families are a bit different!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:46 pm

I like those suggestions.

One thing I'd add, and I think it's been effective in my home, is to foster the idea that we're ALL contributing members of the household, if there's a way to reinforce that. If your kid runs on appreciation (and not all children do), being appreciative is a good way.

I say this because when they're getting close to man-tall, if they GET that this isn't Mama just throwing out chores, but genuinely stuff that needs to be done so the house will run well, and that their effort really does make life nicer on everyone, they're more willing. (The effort I have put into teaching my son to cook has paid off a thousand-fold already!) I think my son is willing to step up to the plate is that he knows that the work he puts in is important and valued.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:28 pm

Good point, Noel. I do try to do that, but could do more in that line.

===
Yesterday dinner: Pasta with Gorgonzola, salad, figs.

Br - yogurt for me, pancakes for them. (No, I'm not "being good." I think pancakes are legit breakfast food if you don't drown them in syrup. I just don't like carb-heavy, sweet breakfasts.)
L (planned) - 15 bean soup (and I put a hambone in it, so it will be hearty!), bread, fruit.
D - TBD. Will either be leftovers or something easy, liked grilled cheese sandwiches or tuna melts.

Yoga - done. I'm on day three of Yoga Journal's 21 day challenge.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:14 am

Dinner was grilled cheese, cinnamon apples, and salad.

In addition to yoga, I shoveled snow...for the first time in my LIFE. Of course, I don't own a snow shovel, but a flat-bladed garden shovel worked. Mostly, it broke up the snow/ice into chunks. Some of it I could shovel off; some of it, I used a push-broom to sweep off - like sweeping up glass. Very much like - my son cut himself on a piece.

In the deep South, our normal experience of snow is that, if it sticks at all, it's gone before noon - play in it fast, or you've missed your chance! No need to shovel, because nature will do the work for you.

If it does last past the first day, that's generally not good... it usually melts and re-freezes, melts and re-freezes. Transplanted Northerners who have been snickering about "Southerners who can't handle a little bit of snow" stop laughing when they realize that the roads are covered in pure ice. (People outside the South don't generally get it, though,)

In fairness, most of us CAN'T drive in snow - just not enough practice. The smart ones KNOW that; the ones who aren't smart enough to know their limits are truly dangerous - added incentive to stay off the roads. There is no infrastructure for dealing with snow because it's not cost-effective to invest in equipment that might be needed once every 5 years. Actually cheaper to shut down for a few days. So, no plows or salt or snow tires... makes a difference. (I don't even own snow boots or pants, and had to McGyver my outside apparel. Layers on the torso worked fine, and I do have hat, gloves, and scarf. Leggings from my aerobics days worked under jeans, and I stuffed my rain boots with wool to add warmth. It worked.)

I actually enjoyed clearing the driveway. It was good to work hard enough to stay warm, and just nice to be outside after being cooped up for so long.

And since this came down as snow to begin with, and melted a bit before the re-freeze cycle began, the power has stayed on!! (Ice usually brings down limbs and power lines.) That's a nice change. I think I could get used to the cold outside if I could come in and warm up.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:04 am

Hi, KCCC,
Thanks for the tips and the suggestion of the book.
That's v interesting about the number of chores and also splitting the chores into individual and family.
Looking at your list made me realise that DD actually helps me quite a bit, just not in an organised way. She always helps me unload the groceries, for example (though I put them away). She is pretty good with her own personal care, as well.

our stance is that basic chores and basic allowance each are a "given" - part of being a family.)
I agree with you about linking allowance and chores - I figure there are things we just have to do to keep afloat and that we as a family have to do them (though, of course, as the parent, the lion's share is mine).

I love the following idea:
In theory, we let ds pick his family chores from the list each week. In practice, he keeps the same general list, but if he starts complaining about one we offer the option to swap it for another chore - he sometimes does that, and sometimes just stops complaining!
The list you provided is actually very similar to ours (although DD doesn't like feeding the cats! and she likes to sort and do the washing - ie turn on the machine- rather than fold. She enjoys folding the sheets with me though.)
I really like the following strategy:
for time-sensitive chores... I just do it, but he owes me a different chore. I really try to "collect" on those - and make them a bit bigger if I can - to make the point. That evolved from having to fuss too much to get him to set the table - I'd rather just do it and have him do something else than fight when I'm trying to get dinner.

All good stuff. I really appreciate it.
fun
xx

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:06 am

Hi Noel,
Many thanks to you too for your suggestions. I have been thinking of helping DD cook one meal a week as part of her weekly chores - she's not that interested in cooking and while she is a good little eater, eats for fuel rather than for pleasure. I may have to pay her extra for that one!

Thanks KCCC for letting me sort that out on your personal thread.
cheers
fun
x

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:40 pm

funfuture wrote: Looking at your list made me realise that DD actually helps me quite a bit, just not in an organised way.

That was exactly my realization on reading the book, too - that ds did more than I gave credit for.

And I agree with Noel about (1) positioning chores as "part of what we ALL do to keep things running smoothly" and (2) showing appreciation. The second one is a good reminder - I tend to focus too much on what needs to be done, instead of appreciating what has been done. (And I do that with myself too, which is why I keep reminding myself to "celebrate accomplishments.")

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:04 pm

Breakfast - PB&J on homemade bread. (Love those!)
Lunch - Leftover Pasta with Gorgonzola and Parmesan, clementine, raisins.
Dinner (planned) - Leftover 15-bean soup, fresh homemade bread, salad/fruit.

Exercise - still with the 21-day Yoga Challenge. Day 4.

And still "snowed" (iced) in.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:20 pm

Dinner as planned, except I made biscuits and had a second one. My bad.

They were really good though - I tried the variation Dandelion suggested and made them with plain yogurt thinned with milk. OMG, they were SO tender and light. I don't think I'll make them any other way from now on. (The bonus: I don't usually have buttermilk in the house. I almost ALWAYS have plain yogurt.)

Breakfast this morning: Waffles again. We had an impromptu sleep-over, and they were a request, prompted by my own son and husband, lol! They are are on a roll, since I mentioned that the recipe was "really no trouble." I had one this time, with cream cheese and fruit preserves instead of syrup, and some OJ, which almost cut the sweetness. Ready for a non-carb-y lunch though.

Lunch (planned) - big salad and some homemade foccacia for me, "make your own pizza" for ds and friend. Hubby has leftover soup and biscuits to take. (He's going into work, I'm not. We're still icy, and school is out.)

Dinner (planned) - salmon. Not sure of sides yet - other than salad, since we have a ginormous container of salad.

Hubby went food shopping on the way home yesterday. We usually go together, and he gets the pre-packaged stuff while I select the produce. His criteria are a bit different from mine: "I got the big container of salad because it's much cheaper per ounce." Well, it is. But we are a family of three, one of whom doesn't like salad, and that amount is likely to go bad. Oh well - I appreciate him going, and a lot of salad for a while is not a bad thing. Just amusing.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:42 am

Lunch had a slight variant... friend went home for lunch, and son got hungry early and asked for leftovers. So I gave him what he asked for, and had a biscuit and cheese with my big salad.

For dinner, another friend came over, and I changed the menu to accommodate... he LOVES my linguine with clam sauce. So, that's what we had, with salad for the adults and carrot-sticks for the salad-hating kids.

And I got in my yoga. However, I am annoyed... today's sequence indicated that yoga blocks would be needed. I have been planning to get some, so, since we were going by Walmart anyway (in the middle of the day, before the roads re-froze), I bought a set. Danskin had a set of two bundled with a strap for a very reasonable price.

Except... when I opened them up, slid between the two blocks was an advisory statement that the blocks contained a chemical known to cause cancer. Lovely. :( I put them back in the bag to return, and did my practice without blocks. Not as well, perhaps, but I still built habit.

AND I am already seeing the effects of consistent practice. The 21-day challenge officially started on the 10th, but I knew about it earlier and began last Friday, I think (the 6th). So I've done about a week now, even if on a few days it was only 15 minutes worth. (Most days, it's been 30-45 minutes.) NONE of the sessions are as intense as my normal class - the key difference is the frequency. Here's what I'm noticing: I am beginning to stretch out into the poses faster, as if the "muscle memory" is stronger and more certain. Usually, I groan at Downward Facing Dog - I always start out so stiff! Until I'm 3/4 of the way through my workout, it takes a lot of effort because I can't get enough weight off my arms and into my legs. Only when I'm truly warmed up can I see how some people actually consider it a rest pose. (I will feel I've "arrived" when that is true for me.) Today, even the first few DFD poses felt pretty good... because I did them just yesterday, not days ago. I like that. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:48 am

Saturday, S-day.

After struggling a good bit during the week (especially early in the week) because I was at home all week... there wasn't much of interest for today's S-day. The ironies of life.

Exercise - Yoga Challenge (30 minutes)
Br - leftover biscuits with brie. The boys had waffles again.
L - leftover pasta with clam sauce and salad.
S - chocolate for dessert (part of a "chocolate orange" from Christmas)
D - salmon, salad, squash, couscous. Seconds on couscous
S - truffles for dessert.

We ate lunch late, and I had to remind myself "it's dinnertime" when it was When you're feeding kids - another friend, this one a little girl who is like part of the family - you need to eat at regular hours or everyone gets off-track.

Come to think of it... eating regular meals (as we have done during this "Snowcation") is an incredibly effective way to "anchor" the normal daily routine. It's 8 days since the last work/school day, and we're getting up close to regular time and eating close to regular time and going to bed close to regular time. And no one is snacking much - when we get hungry, it's always "almost mealtime."

I like that.

Thinking about making something yummy tomorrow, but I'm not sure what...

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:35 pm

Wow, 8 days snowed in! Doesn't snow here, so that's hard to get my head around. I can appreciate the enforced slow-down, routine and rest would be a good thing (despite the occasional cabin fever).

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:09 pm

funfuture wrote:Wow, 8 days snowed in! Doesn't snow here, so that's hard to get my head around. I can appreciate the enforced slow-down, routine and rest would be a good thing (despite the occasional cabin fever).
Well, I'm in the deep South (of USA) so it RARELY snows here. The corollary is that when it does, it's a stopper... we have no infrastructure to deal with snow, and only the transplants know how to drive in it. So schools close, etc.

We're not exactly "snowed in" - took walks, etc., and after the first 2-3 days could even drive with caution in the middle of the day (it would melt, then re-freeze).

But it has been a while out of school/work. Re-entry will be an adventure.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:37 am

Had a reasonable S-day until dinnertime, when the "got to get it now" crazies kicked in. I think it was exaggerated by the fact that I have some fasting lab work tomorrow, so can't have anything after midnight until about 9:30 tomorrow. I don't care about breakfast, but the thought of missing my morning coffee makes me quite unhappy.

So... let's see...

Br - eggs and 1/2 sl homemade bread
L - Chinese buffet. One plate, plus a plate of "little tastes" (seconds, but not a lot).
S - chocolate for dessert (at home)
D - salad with chicken on it.
S- tapioca pudding (my homemade treat) plus quite a LOT of chocolate. I'm very tired of it now.

Ready to be done, I think.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:48 pm

I ended up taking MLK day (and our last "Snowcation" day) as an S-day. Not a great one... I was eating stuff "because." Because I didn't want to go back to work. Because the potluck we attended was small, and didn't really have food I liked that much. Because I was hungry, and wanted chocolate, and... because.

Not the best S-day. I like them better when I have a special treat and meals that I enjoy. But it's okay. After we did our family "Hands On" activity for MLK day (this year, it was clearing invasive plants at our local park) and came home from the potluck, I curled up with a book in front of the fire and nibbled on chocolate. (At least I had good stuff, and not a lot of it.) Eventually, I faced the fact that work started today and I needed to get my stuff together.

I console myself with the reality that what feels like a lot now would not even have registered a few years back. And that I recognize comfort eating now. And it ends more quickly.

So. Back at work. Not quite on routine, but close enough.

Exercise: Walk plus abs. 5300 steps so far. (Which means it will be a bit hard to hit 10,000 for today - need to be at 6000 after morning walk to make it easily). Still need to do yoga for the 21-day challenge.

Br - yogurt and banana
L (planned) - salad, carrots, cheese and crackers. Not great - may go to the student center if I can get company.
D (planned) - tuna melts, salad, fruit.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:47 pm

Food exactly as planned yesterday. Well, I was out of tuna so subbed a can of salmon in the melts - family liked it.

Steps got to 8000. Sigh. But I did get my yoga session in. I did one I'd missed earlier, an evening routine that would have been very relaxing if it had not been interrupted by a 10-year old until I finally asked him not to speak to me again until the session was over. (He did.)

Exercise this morning - a gym session that I really like, but don't normally get to because I usually work at home on Wednesdays. (Of course, I go to my awesome yoga session then, so missed that today. Trade-offs.)

Breakfast - yogurt and banana
Lunch - going to the cafeteria - one plate
Dinner (planned) - sausages, cous-cous, veg tbd

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:36 pm

Dinner as planned last night. Veg choices were broccoli and sauteed onions and peppers, which were GREAT with the sausage.

Did not get in my Yoga last night - first miss. :( It is much harder to fit into the day when I am on "normal" routine. But that's the point of the 21-day challenge - to figure out how to do it. One option would be to use my morning exercise time, but that would displace other exercise that I like and need (some cardio, some strength...). It needs to be an ADDITION, but can be a short one. So... I will count even 15 minutes, and it doesn't have to be the routine for "that day" on the website.

We'll see how I do tonight.

Exercise this morning - walk, abs, stretches. At 6400 steps, so may hit my 10,000.

Br - oatmeal with cranberries and banana
L (planned) - leftover sausage, broccoli, cous-cous, and a clementine
D (planned) - tortellini with pesto, veg/fruit tbd

On lunch... I packed everything but the orange into a 400 ml container - very bento-like. I've realized that the temp issues are an issue for me with bento. I usually have a mix of foods-best-eaten-hot and foods-best-eaten-cold. I also don't have time to heat in the morning, so I'm taking food straight from the fridge. The idea of leaving it at room temp until lunch scares me - feels very counter to all the food-safety rules I know. My usual routine is to use the work fridge/microwave, and I'll probably continue with that. But if I pack the hot/cold foods in one container, that doesn't work well for re-heating. And I don't like heating in plastic anyway.... (Not trying to complain, just thinking through in writing...)

But today, with all the foods that need heating together (in my one glass container) and fruit on the side, it works. I've have dropped in a cherry tomato for color if I were doing a traditional bento. :)

Random comments on board doings...

I've decided to stay out of the Taubes discussion from now on. Like the prior intermittent fasting fad, it isn't something that I intend to do; it just doesn't seem to fit with my own body and how it reacts. (I suspect that, like most diet regimes, there are people for whom it wil work amazingly well, people for whom it will be almost distastrous, and the whole spectrum in between. I fall nearer the "disastrous" end on this one, I think.)

Love Blithe Morning's "Miss Hartshorne." It reminds me of my own "Voice of Reason" internal character, though much more of a persona. (But I have a larger cast, lol.) Hope to see more of "her."

Now, to work.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:04 pm

KCCC wrote:I've decided to stay out of the Taubes discussion from now on.
Like the prior intermittent fasting fad, it isn't something that I intend to do;
it just doesn't seem to fit with my own body and how it reacts.
(I suspect that, like most diet regimes,
there are people for whom it wil work amazingly well,
people for whom it will be almost distastrous,
and the whole spectrum in between.
I fall nearer the "disastrous" end on this one, I think.)
Image KCCC,
Since you are managing very well with your current way-of-eating,
You are probably doing exactly the right thing for you.

Our prior contacts regarding calorie-counting have taught me
that you are an open-minded person who likes to stay informed.
even about things you don't personally embrace.

So even though you have no personal need to do so,
or desire to comment on the subject,
I hope you will continue to follow my Thread
and the ongoing Discussion on Taubes new book check-in thread.

I would very much like to have the input of your thoughts
about how Taubes handles these specific concepts
..not to argue with you or try to convince you of anything,
just to help me keep my own mind open while I am experimenting.

Perhaps when you find time, occasionally you could PM me...
the way we did about calorie-counting???

Whatever you decide...I'm sure it will be right for you,
and Thanks for thinking about it.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:15 am

BA, I appreciate the invitation and will think on it.

==
Got my yoga in today, which I'm grateful for. It felt good, but WAS hard to fit into the evening. Still, the difference that consistent practice makes is rather astonishing, and I'd like to continue for that reason. Will work on how to put it into the schedule...

Dinner veg = California mix (broc, cauliflower, carrots) and salad.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:32 am

BA... some thoughts...a bit incoherent, but I think you can make sense of them.

First, there are two ways to approach new ideas. One is to embrace them fully, almost with religious zeal, try them on, adopt them... and then, over time, see where they don't quite work and modify them, coaxing them into the right shape. Sort of like flinging on a magnificent new cape and parading about in its glory, and then later noticing that it's a bit too long and perhaps a bit wide, and altering it to fit better. And then later deciding that the color is a bit extreme, and over-dying it to tone it down...oh, and sleeves would really be more practical... In the end, it becomes one's own garment, but the process is gradual.

The second is more akin to a scientist or tinkerer, where the first step is to take apart the idea and examine it critically - even if that means breaking it in the process. And only the bits that make it through the examination get adopted. It's a "let's see how this works" approach, and I picture it as involving some intricate mechanical contraption being opened up with screwdrivers and perhaps a hammer. Certainly it involves a large trash can for the unwanted parts.

I tend to be an "embracer" most of the time, and my husband is a "tinkerer"... we had some issues about that in the early days of our marriage, because I'd come in with some bright shiny idea and feel like he'd cut the head off my dolly after he was through dissecting it. (Okay, that's a mangled mash-up of metaphors... hope it makes sense.) It took us a while to recognize our different approaches.

But in this case, I'm watching you (and others) embrace this idea, and I am in the position of being the tinkerer. And I don't particularly like that role. Though there are places where I think the ideas warrant some dissection, I trust that you'll modify them over time yourself, without someone being overtly critical at this stage.

So, that's one reason.

In addition, you've made it clear that you want people to actually read the book before discussing the ideas. That's really not an unreasonable expectation... but I simply don't intend to. :) Life is full, my time is limited, and this book does not make my personal reading list.

I might, however, read your summaries. And if I do, and can frame my observations/critique in a constructive manner, I'll chime in then. :)

But really, I've already said the most important things that I have to say. To reiterate:
(1) I think that the recommendations will work amazingly well for some people... and be disastrous for others. We are all different, and we all have to figure out our own balance. (Life is not "one size fits all.")
(2) I consider this an "advanced discussion," and hope that it will not distract people new to No-S.

Thanks again for the invitation. I do appreciate it.

Sincerely,

KCCC

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:19 am

KCCC, Thanks for the kindness of your thoughtful reply.

I’ve not considered approaching new ideas as either embracing or tinkering.
As for me, first I analyze an idea.. work to mentally understand it.
Then I sort of visualize how it might fit into my life.
Next I consider the cost vs the benefit of trying it out.
After all those things, my next step would be to Experiment with it.
Then…dump it or modify it or live with it.
Tinkering I understand,
but I haven’t really considered at what point “embracingâ€
becomes part of the process for me.
Re the low-carb concepts, I’m pretty sure I’m not there yet.

I’m embracing the Book, embracing the Discussion, embracing the Forum,
but I’d say I’m tinkering with Low-carb Concepts.
I started doing that late last Spring, and I’d say I’ve learned a lot,
enough to be willing to Experiment with them.
BTW...I'm finding my personal Experimenting with low-carb rather difficult,
and a lot of my current online effort is to help motivate myself
to stick with it long enough to get some useful results.

I’ve been thinking that since K and I postponed our actual discussion
of the rest of the book….and I’m putting the summaries up ahead of time,
perhaps after all the chapters are posted,
people who’ve read the summaries would be informed enough to join in too,
even if they haven’t yet read the actual book.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:19 pm

BrightAngel wrote:I’m embracing the Book, embracing the Discussion, embracing the Forum,
but I’d say I’m tinkering with Low-carb Concepts.

Okay. I think what I'm seeing/describing is the embracing of the book.

I love models and concept maps and lists and other consolidations of expertise. They provide lenses through which to filter experience, mechanisms to organize and structure knowledge/thinking, maps of unfamilar territory. When I find a new one that strikes me, I am likely to embrace it and show it off to everyone. "Look at this. Cool, huh?" To use yet-another-metaphor, it's like the infatuation stage in a relationship that might turn to true love or friendship...or end after serious flaws become apparent. It can be especially strong where a model explains something I had previously not understood or known about.

Whether I go on to adopt/incorporate the ideas into some practice in my life is a separate step, after there's more of a relationship established. ;)

And that initial stage looks like where you are with these ideas. (I'm not saying that's REALLY where you are, just that it's how it "reads" to me.) Whether you go on to adopt them is different - it's the "cool, look at this" stage that I'm seeing.

When it comes to low-carb, I'm sort of where I am with calories. I do think they matter, but they're not what I want/need to focus on. It's bad for me mentally to micro-manage my eating at that level. And I don't have to, because while the processes of nutrition are complex beyond current knowledge at the biochemical level, in practice moderation and a few simple rules work beautifully. (Definitely for me, and I honestly believe for most people. I'd expect what you usually see in distributions of populations - a spectrum with extremes at both ends, but most in the mid-range.)

I will read your summaries at some point, and will comment then.

==
Friday.
Exercise - step class. Still need to get in Yoga

Br - oatmeal with cranberries and banana
L - (planned) cafeteria one-plate
D - (planned) Make-your-own-pizza; son is having yet another sleep-over, and that's a fun/easy solution. Add fruit and veg and it's reasonable.

I love our new campus cafeteria. It's easy to eat a nice No-S plate there. They have a salad bar, a stir-fry station, a deli station that includes my favorite "default" if nothing appeals more (a roasted veg and hummus wrap), and various other ones that I pay less attention to. They also post a list of the "healthy" selections with nutritional info. (While I'm not tracking that kind of stuff, I like seeing it when I eat out - it reassures me that this reasonable-looking dish really IS reasonable!)

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:42 pm

KCCC wrote: Okay. I think what I'm seeing/describing is the embracing of the book.

...When I find a new one that strikes me,
I am likely to embrace it and show it off to everyone.
"Look at this. Cool, huh?"

It can be especially strong where a model explains something
I had previously not understood or known about.

Whether I go on to adopt/incorporate the ideas into some practice in my life is a separate step,
after there's more of a relationship established. ;)

And that initial stage looks like where you are with these ideas.
Whether you go on to adopt them is different -
it's the "cool, look at this" stage that I'm seeing.
I think you are absolutely correct in this.
KCCC wrote:It's bad for me mentally to micro-manage my eating
at that (calories and carbs) level.
And I don't have to,
because while the processes of nutrition are complex
beyond current knowledge at the biochemical level,
in practice moderation and a few simple rules work beautifully.
(Definitely for me, and I honestly believe for most people.)
I think that it's wonderful that you have that option.
I wish my body could avoid Obesity through Moderation and a few simple rules.
As one of those who lacks the option, I greatly envy you.

There are many people out there for whom this way-of-eating works well,
but unfortunately, there are also a very great number of people like me,
for whom it doesn't,
and I believe that number is far greater than you suspect.

KCCC wrote:I will read your summaries at some point, and will comment then.
Thank you, I look forward to your comments.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:18 pm

BA,

In terms of "having options"... I actually have a lot of personal "rules" about carbs and about what I eat in general. They're not hard-and-fast rules like No-S, more like softer general guidelines, developed by trial-and-error and attention-to-what-works-for-me.

Most of them are unconscious habit at this point - to the extent that I'm not even sure I can articulate them all.

Here's a handful, just for reference.

- All meals need protein, carbs (preferably complex) and fruit/veg (veg is better, fruit okay).
- Half-plate fruit/veg at lunch/dinner (and I need "at least three items" to feel that I've had a real meal.)
- All carbs are not created equal. Complex carbs are far better than refined ones are better than sweet ones. (I react differently.)
- No artificial sweeteners. (I believe they "confuse the body.")
- Homemade is better than bought. (I don't buy white bread. I sometimes make it.)
- Minimze processed foods in general.
- Avoid carb-centric breakfasts. By that, I mean highly refined/sugary carbs in particular - waffles, pancakes, etc. I'm okay with oatmeal, or a bagel if it has protein on it. (This is because I feel like crap if I start the day that way.
- Avoid eating out (too much processed food, too much hidden junk).
- Corollary: If I do go out, make it "special," not "lazy." (That is, go somewhere nice as a special treat, not somewhere cheap because I can't be bothered to cook.)
- Corollary: Eat at home. And don't keep stuff around that I don't want to be eating. (I don't ever buy corn syrup, bisquik, canned soups...hamburger-helper-type mixes... the list goes on.)
- Include variety. (I could list a BUNCH of related sub-rules here... try to eat fish/beans a few times week, "eat your colors," etc.)
- Drink water. Or herbal tea.
- Coffee limit: 2 cups. Three on a "needy" day, but keep that as an "exception" not a "routine."
- Wine limit: 1/day, but not every day.
- Dried fruit: no more than 1x/day
- The best time to eat sweets (on S-days) is as dessert after a meal.
- The worst time to eat sweets is when I'm genuinely hungry. They do not satisfy, and lead to more cravings.
- Avoid permasnacking, even on S-days. (Again, I feel crappy when I do this.)
- Eat "real food" as much as possible.
- Eat organic as much as possible.
- Eat "local" as much as possible.
- Eat mindfully as much as possible.
- If I'm going to have a treat, the best choice is a small amount of a really-high quality treat.

My taste buds also help... not sure if these are natural or acquired tastes, to be honest. I don't eat mayo at all (unless there are minimal, invisible amounts in some chicken/tuna salads. If I can see "white," I won't eat it). I don't care for most fried food, and don't generally cook it. I dislike sauces over vegetables (dishes like green bean casserole or squash casserole are not vegetables in my book, they're something else that happens to have some veggies in it). I don't generally use salad dressing - I use blue cheese crumbles instead.

This looks like an incredibly long list, and I'm sure I left out stuff that is so unconscious I can't even see it. But I don't even notice them day-to-day. These guidelines are so normal to me that they're invisible - I usually notice only when I have to eat something that lies outside the parameters that I have chosen. The over-riding rule is "be moderate." Michael Pollen's "Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants." and No-S pretty much sum up what I do.

I don't necessarily advocate that other people follow any of my guidelines - certainly not all of them! - and I'm sure others have their own "rules," many of which I have no intention of following. (Drink only black coffee? It is to laugh!). I would NEVER hand them to a new person and say "do it like this" because developing them has been a gradual and personal process, full of attention to "what works for me," and other people should pay attention to what works for THEM. My final list won't look like anyone else's, and that's how it should be. And my list will continue to change over time.

These are "soft" rules - if I miss on something, the sky doesn't fall. But taken as a group, I am sure that they strongly contribute to my ability to maintain my weight. I know they contribute to my "feeling good." And I believe that my body has gradually gained the ability to better regulate itself as I have gradually moved toward "real food" at "regular times."

And I can follow these without any counting of food elements or nutritional calculations... or without even thinking about it very much. Unless something prompts me, of course. :)

(And the point of all this, is that I'm not a lucky person who doesn't have to pay any attention. When I did that, I was fat. But I have internalized simple rules that do work, and I think most people can do similarly.)

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:59 pm

Thanks KCCC, Image

I did not mean to imply that you do not have to work
to eat correctly in order to maintain your current weight.

I, too, have a great many similiar behavioral modification rules,
incorporated over many years, which are mostly now Habitual for me.

Unfortunately, for me, these aren't enough.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:28 pm

BrightAngel wrote:I, too, have a great many similiar behavioral modification rules,
incorporated over many years, which are mostly now Habitual for me.

Unfortunately, for me, these aren't enough.
That is true for you today. But I do wonder if you found the "right" rules, if it might not change. I know my own body's ability to say "I'm full now, thank you" has increased over time as I've followed my path, so that I can now trust myself at a level that used to be impossible.

Perhaps your low-carb exploration will lead you toward modifying what you eat in ways that restore (or create) a better balance between your body's needs and desires. :)

Best wishes.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:13 pm

Back to my own life...

Got home on Friday to find that the other kid's mom was taking them to a make your own pizza place on Sat. Plus I ended up with pizza and salad for lunch at the cafeteria. (Note to self...do not go at rush hour if you don't have time to stand in line for what you want. And NEVER get their pizza again.)

So we went to a Chinese buffet. And I decided to start my S-day....

The "Friday night slide" turned into a crash and burn. Not only did I overeat, but I stayed up way, way too late...not even doing anything useful or fun.

In retrospect, the emotion behind it was "this is the only time I will get to myself this weekend... So I don't want it to end."

Have worked through some of that, but still into "I deserve..." eating. Trying to remind myself that "if hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer" and to look for better answers.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:57 pm

Back from Mom and Dad's. A good visit. I hate going, in part because I hate adding more driving into my week (especially one that already had extra, was already hard because it was a "re-entry" week). But...it was good to be there. I'm glad I went.

Ate a lot, but am ending my S-day right now (mid-afternoon Sunday), so I am within the "S-day slide S-day rules."

One interesting bit... expensive treats can still be unsatisfying. I bought a $3 truffle at a bakery and didn't like it that much. So I threw half of it away. Even though it was chocolate and expensive. It did take an effort, but as I tell my son "you are never required to finish treats" and "if you don't like it, it's not a treat." And that's true no matter how expensive it was.

So, a small victory out of a rather awful weekend (in terms of eating). I'm celebrating it.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:09 pm

Forgot to add that I did yoga both days. It helped that the Yoga Journal routines for both days were short and very relaxing/calming. Felt like a treat.

S-days were properly contained, and though they felt quite excessive, this morning's weight was 145. (My range is usually 144-146.) Oddly, what helped me break out of the snack-fest was looking for a truly satisfying treat... when the expensive truffle wasn't it, I went to Trader Joe's and bought their Lacey Dark Chocolate cookies, which I absolutely love. Ate enough to satisfy me, left the rest for the family, and was back on track Sunday night.

Monday
Yoga class this morning. Not the "official" practice for the day, but I think I will count it.
Br - oatmeal with cranberries and almonds
L (planned) - leftover chicken pot pie, which I made last night, and a clementine. Yum!
D (planned) - Either chicken quesadillas or make-your-own pizza. Whichever we don't have tonight we'll have tomorrow.

And on to work...

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:51 pm

Tuesday.

Exercise - Walking. 6000 as of now, so may make 10,000. Didn't get abs in - running late, and chose cardio instead. Still need yoga. There's a short practice I can do in my chair at lunch for my shoulders/neck, and since I've been doing a LOT of driving and spending a LOT of time on the computer, that would be a good choice.

Br - yogurt, clementine
L (planned) - leftover chicken pot pie and apple. (Yum!)
D (planned) - chicken quesadillas with avocados (a treat - I'll probably make "cheater's guacamole" out of them), salad, fruit.

Last night we had make-your-own-pizza and salad. I used artisan bread dough, so the pieces were thick - but it makes smaller ones than I'd have with a bought pizza. Two slice limit either way... quite yummy.

("Cheater's guac" is an avocado partially mashed and partially chopped, mixed with salsa. If I have lemon or limes, I'll throw in a squeeze. If I have black olives, I'll add them. That's it. It's chunkier than the bought stuff, but I like it that way.)

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:21 pm

Wednesday.

Food as planned yesterday. Made 10,000 steps. Did not get my yoga in, at least not officially - did a few half-suns during the day and some gentle stretches at bedtime (just b/c I was achy) but don't think it added up to enough time to count. Sigh. I am trying not to beat myself up about not reaching my goal consistently, since I know misses are common when trying to establish a new habit, but I find myself falling into the same kind of self-blame that I try to talk everyone else out of.

Seeing that in writing helps...Just noticing what I'm doing. As someone else here (can't think who, will have to check) advised, just observe "there my mind goes, thinking that again..." And don't get sucked into the drama. You don't have to believe all your thoughts. (Sounds like heresy, doesn't it? But it's true.)

Today
Br - yogurt, clementine
L - one plate from favorite grocery :)
D - TBD. When I go to the grocery, I'll go by the meat counter and pick up something for later and something for tonight. And we'll have salad, of course - got a lot to use up.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:11 pm

Thursday...

Wednesday exercise was my intense yoga class. This class focused on "strength," and it was extremely challenging for me in multiple ways. More on that below.

Dinner last night was home-made chicken nuggets (since they got such rave reviews before), potato wedges (about 1/2 potato), acorn squash, and salad.

Exercise this morning - walking and abs. I forgot my pedometer, so got on an Elliptical so I could track my mileage. Wow - may do that again. It gets the heartrate up more than walking, and since running isn't okay for me (too high-impact, messes up my neck), this may be what I need. (I just hate the banks of tvs that I'm forced to stare at...) Got in two miles, which is probably about the usual, plus a few laps on the track to cool down.

Br - yogurt, clementine
L (planned) - leftover chicken, leftover squash and veg (these in a 400 ml "bento" to heat), 3 figs, a serving of crackers (since I don't feel "fed" unless I can see protein, carb, and veg).
D (semi-planned) - I picked up some pork sirloin chop while at Earthfare, but am not quite sure what I'm doing with it yet...

Yoga class... this one focused on strength, and the physical component was butt-kicking. The mental component of this practice was just as challenging... we were invited to examine our beliefs about strength, and what that looked like. How often do we "power through" situations, ignoring our own needs... and possibly doing damage to ourselves? How often, in our efforts to be strong, do we become hard in some way - hard-hearted, hard-headed?

I swear, sometimes I think that instructor is a mind-reader who has picked up on something I particularly need to hear.

At one point, she asked "How can you challenge yourself without being "the mean mommy"?" (Guys can translate that as "mean daddy" - basically, the "mean boss-of-me.") What a question...it really hit me. I do fall into the "beat myself into compliance" mode too often. The reason I admonish people to "be gentle with yourself" is that I need the reminder. Even though I know, truly know, that I work better when I work in "flow," that I can be "pulled to" tasks rather than "prodded to" them, that harshness is unproductive... I still have to watch mentally turning choices into burdens, setting goals beyond my capability and beating myself up for not reaching them, and generally focusing on where I miss the mark instead of what I have done that is good.

Which is why this particular practice (Anusara Yoga) is so good for me.

But the class was challenging. Despite best intentions, and the repeated reminders to work to our individual "edges" and respect our own individual bodies, I overdid and hurt my shoulder a bit. And... I got frustrated. I can see that there are poses I can't do only because I don't trust myself to do them - poses where I have to recognize my own strength and trust my ability to balance and just move into the pose confidently. (Handstand is one example.) Currently, I can get into them with assistance, and I can hold them, but I can't move into them on my own. (And yes, I am exquisitely aware of the life metaphor here - recognize strength, trust balance.)

I am a creature of intellect, and it frustrates me that seeing this doesn't affect what I can do.

But this too is a learning experience if I let it be. Like No-S, I just have to give it time. And when I step back, I can see that I am doing things that I couldn't have attempted months ago when I started this class - I would never have thought I could do a handstand at all.

Celebrate accomplishments.
Savor moments.
Recognize choice.
Be gentle with myself, and with others.
Smile, breathe, move slowly.
Be present.

(Okay, it's a bloggy day.)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:05 am

Dinner was a Mark Bittman-ish recipe... cut the pork thinly and stir-fry with onions that were cooked until soft and brown; add hoisin, soy, and a bit of sesame oil at the end. I served it over noodles b/c I didn't have time to cook rice - delicious! With all the onions in it for veg, just had a clementine on the side.

And there are leftovers for lunch, too.

Did the 21-day yoga challenge today - but picked a gentle, relaxing shoulder opening sequence (Week 2, Day 6). It helped work some of the stiffness out of my shoulder/neck from yesterday... but I think ibuprofen is also called for tonight.

For Friday...
Br - yogurt and banana
L - leftovers and figs
D - TBD. May eat out, may make something fast.

Got a "veggie box" today. Eggplant Parmesan is in our future! By the time I got home, my son had already eaten a pear and was begging for another, lol!

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:45 pm

Best laid plans... help even when the circumstances go awry.

DS threw up in the middle of the night, and woke me. Dealt with the poor little guy, got him settled... then couldn't go to sleep myself. He, of course, is not in school today - 102 fever. Since I had few meetings and hubby had a lot (and, to be honest, because I couldn't go back to sleep, and am feeling "poorly" myself), I am home with him.

I gave him part of my yogurt that I'd packed for breakfast... was hoping it would help his digestion, and I had a larger-than-normal serving because it was the very last and not really enough for two servings. (I didn't give him all of it because I didn't think he'd eat it - and I was right. He's really not eating today.) That left me with a smaller-than-normal serving, and I was quite hungry around 10.

But I had a good lunch planned, and didn't want to spoil it. So I waited for it, and had that while I tried to coax DS into eating something.

So here we are... I'm playing on the computer sporadically, and have played a game of Sorry and checked temperature, etc. We've done one movie, and will probably do another after the dr's appointment. I mixed up some artisan bread dough, and am pondering supper, since I have time to cook (assuming the dr's appointment doesn't take forever).

Did some stretches this morning - 15 minutes, a bare minimum. But enough. Minimum counts, and given how I'm feeling (tired, a bit stuffy and head-achy), it's an accomplishment. If I feel like doing more later, I will, but no pressure.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:37 pm

Off topic, but I ordered and just received the book Housekeeping with Kids. I figure it can't hurt.
Kathleen

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:05 am

Hope it's useful to you, Kathleen. I don't follow everything in it, but it gave us some good ideas.

==
Friday... ran out of time b/c of the doctor's, and ds wasn't very hungry yesterday because of being sick. That actually worried me, because he usually eats - right now, he's in a growth spurt. Got him his fave soup (Imagine tomato) to tempt his appetite (we don't have it often, b/c dh doesn't like tomato soup and I don't generally buy soup that's pre-made - though the boxed is better than canned). For the adults, I fixed food ds doesn't like anyway... ham and summer squash. Plus homemade bread, and it was great.

I did start my S-days, and had chocolate for dessert.

Saturday... walked for 30 minutes.

Br - egg and a slice of homemade bread
Lunch - ham, bread, a bit of soup to taste, banana, raisins. A bit of a hodge-podge as I was going out the door.
S's - homemade choc chip cookies
D - Eggplant Parmesan over pasta with tomato sauce, peas'n'carrots, fruit
S- more cookies, tapioca pudding.

Also snacked a little as I prepped dinner, which ran late. I had a few extra baked eggplant slices for the Eggplant Parmesan, and ate them up. Normally I wouldn't eat that close to dinner, but I looove baked eggplant, and didn't think two slices would really ruin my appetite. (But I did get a smaller serving of the EP than I might have otherwise.)

Ds now has his normal appetite. He was given a medicine that he'll need to take AM and PM for 10 days, starting last night. The bad thing is that milk products interfere with absorption, so he can't have them within two hours of taking his meds. That basically means he can have milk (which he loves) from about 10 to about 4 or 5... and maybe again right before bedtime if he's up late. He also had to skip the EP, and just have pasta... too much cheese on it.

I'd made tapioca pudding as a special treat for dinner, then realized he couldn't have it. So that's why I made cookies too. Ate too many - probably half a dozen spread out over the day.

But I never felt "icky" today, and I enjoyed everything. So, a good S-day.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:35 am

Sunday S-day

Had a yoga class today. Did more than I'd planned to, with my shoulder, and hope I haven't made it worse. I did avoid the handstand, which I think was wise.

Br - yogurt and honey.
L - "Leftover day" Eggplant Parmesan over pasta and squash for me. Plus tapioca and a cookie. (I made THREE batches of tapioca this weekend!!)
S - Figs after class. A bit "iffy" if I should have had a snack that late, since I had chocolate on Friday, but decided that I could because I'd eaten less-than-I-wanted at lunch because I didn't want to eat too much right before yoga. (Yes, this is the "there would have been room..." argument.) But they ended my S-day.
D - BLTs on 9-grain bread and sweet potato fries. VERY good.

Froze the rest of the Eggplant Parmesan, and packed up other leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Good S-days. I had nice treats, but didn't go crazy. For me, the key is to remember to eat three meals when it's mealtime. If I do that, the snacks/sweets just fall into place around them.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:35 pm

Boy, is this a Monday!

Woke up a bit early in order to make it to my Monday exercise class on time for once... and there was an awful wreck on the way that added over 30 minutes to my normal commute. Needless to say, I did not make the class.

I did exercise, after I checked my calendar to make sure I wouldn't miss any meetings/appointments. So, did a quick mile on the elliptical to warm up, then did a yoga podcast, then a few more laps on the track to cool down. Not a lot, but something, and I needed it after sitting in traffic so long.

Then, as I was getting dressed, I realized I had not packed ANY underwear. Any. Well, except socks.

Fortunately, there is a store I like about a mile down the highway. So I went shopping, and am now dressed normally. (And, since this has happened in various permutations in the past, I think I'm going to start packing an emergency set in my trunk.)

Breakfast was split into two parts, since I hadn't packed a spoon (keep them at my desk). Banana on the way to the store, yogurt when I finally reached the office. (I don't mind virtual plating when the amount is pre-determined and normal.)

I'm sort of waiting for the third shoe to drop. I suppose I could count our email being out temporarily (but it was fixed by the time I actually got to work) or the rain...

There's a point where you just have to laugh.

And be grateful, which I am. That I wasn't IN the wreck (it looked bad) and that there WAS a store close by and that I could afford to just buy what I needed (even if not on sale, like I usually buy...) and that I have enough flexibility in my day to absorb the delay.

On to the day.

Exercise - check.

Br - yogurt, banan
Lunch (planned) - ham, leftover sweet potato fries, apple, clementine
Dinner (planned) - italian sausage, cous-cous, veg and fruit - probably broccoli or california blend from the freezer and sliced fruit plate with some of the last pear and clementine sections.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:57 pm

Tuesday.

The underwear saga has a funny epilogue... in unpacking last night, I found my clean undies, that I had packed! For some reason, they were tucked into the grocery bag I put my dirties into, and I missed them when I was getting dressed and packing up. I remember thinking that mornign that "I can't believe I didn't pack this stuff"... evidently with good reason!

Oh well. In addition to new over-priced lingerie, I have two jackets that were on an incredible sale that I saw on the clearance rack as I was walking out. I bought them without even trying them on (I know this store) since I was short on time. They're lovely. So, if I hadn't made that initial error, I wouldn't have them.

BUT... moral of the story: Trust myself. If I can't believe I made a mistake, check carefully before I run to "correct" it. (This isn't the first time I've made trouble for myself by correcting a mistake-that-didn't-happen.)

Back to the purpose of this thread... yesterday as planned, except I didn't eat my apple for lunch (too full with breakfast so late, plus short on time). However, I got hungry in mid-afternoon, and debated eating it. But that felt too snack-y. Instead, I treated myself to an afternoon decaf cafe-au-lait... I had a meeting in the building with the coffeeshop I like, and it was a nasty drizzly day here, so it was a great choice on multiple counts.

Today...
Exercise: Walked and abs. Up to 6800 steps, so think I may hit my 10,000 goal. (ETA: only 9500. Oh well.)
Br - yogurt and banana
L - Work lunch. I understand it will be a fajita bar, which sounds nice. One plate, whatever.
D - Leftover Eggplant Parmesan, broccoli, fruit, bread. The guys are going to a meeting, and eating out together (at a place I don't love, so that's all good).
Last edited by kccc on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:05 pm

I finally did read BA's summary of Taubes - plus some other online reviews - and commented on it.

My short form reaction:

Why We Get Fat (the research) - A+
What To Do About It (the recommendations) - C-

Debated on a D for the recommendations, but decided that the all-meat route probably does work for some people, if not for all (and certainly not for me!). However, I do think his reasoning doesn't "follow" logically from his evidence, so no better than a C. (I am not a scientist, but I do know a bit about statistics and I'm naturally logical... in fact, I made a perfect score on the logic section of the GRE when I took it back in the dark ages.)

Darya Pino of Summer Tomatoes IS a scientist, and identifies the logic gap better than I. I quoted her extensively in my post on the Taube's discussion thread, which I've captured below.

The part of her critique that particularly struck me is that Michael Pollen (one of my nutritional heros) is working from the same data. Not really surprising, but nice to hear.
Okay... some random thoughts...

First, I'm really glad I read through all the summaries. I was initially quite put off by the diet recommendations at the end. As someone said, it leads people to think "this is just a re-hash of old low-carb diets" and that's exactly what I thought.

Here are the premises that I find quite reasonable, and compatible with the prior research that I've read and with my own experience/observations:
1) A calorie is not a calorie (more on that later)
2) People process food differently. We have different genetic tendencies.
3) Refined carbs are an evolutionarily-recent development, and rarely found in nature.
4) The body has an intricate mechanism for regulating weight. Once thrown off, that mechanism may try to regulate inappropriately. (That is, holding on to fat in an unhealthy way.)

Here are the premises I question:
1) Meat-based diets are good.
2) All carbohydrates are created equal (I don't think he actually says this, and I may be doing him a disservice in inferring it. But from what I've read - not just from BA's excellent summaries, but other sources, it's not an unreasonable inference. I truly believe that there are MAJOR differences in how the body reacts to complex carbs, refined carbs... and perhaps even refined-carbs-with-chemicals-added.)

I think both the above statements represent fallacies in thinking, or inappropriate extrapolations of data. And I found a very nice critique of Taubes's work that echoes those same concerns, written by someone who does have scientific training as well as an interest in nutrition. Though she is very complimentary about his synthesis and the quality of his review of research, she questions his conclusions. I agree with what she wrote 100%, so will point you to her article and just pull out a few items to comment on more.

http://summertomato.com/book-review-goo ... -calories/

Some excerpts, with bold added.

Quote:
...But although there are few sources you can trust, some books do stand out as valuable for understanding the basics of health and nutrition. Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes is by far the most thorough I’ve found, and is essential reading for anyone who has an honest desire or need to understand how diet impacts health.

Taubes makes a detailed and compelling case that refined carbohydrates are the primary cause of weight gain and “diseases of civilization†such as heart disease, hypertension and diabetes. In my view, any honest and opened-minded scientist would have to largely agree with him.

...The logical conclusion from his analysis is that all calories are not created equal, despite what we are told daily by the nutrition community and the media. Understanding the logic behind this argument can fundamentally change the way you approach food and is the best reason to read Good Calories, Bad Calories.

Another reason I resist recommending this book as nutrition advice is that it doesn’t offer much in the way of actual advice. Taubes certainly provides compelling evidence that carbohydrates are best avoided and that dietary fat is safer than presumed, but how much of this knowledge can be translated directly to daily life isn’t clear. For practical advice, I prefer Michael Pollan’s In Defense of Food (based largely on the same data).

Scientifically I also have a few issues with Good Calories, Bad Calories. First, the vast majority of the experiments Taubes cites are early diet studies, many from the turn of the century. While these experiments are clearly important, most of them do not reflect long-term (more than 6 months), real life dietary habits. These studies were also almost entirely dependent upon self-reported dietary intake, which is known to be quite inaccurate.

My final issue with the book is how the data was presented to seemingly support a diet of almost entirely meat and animal products. While Taubes does not come out directly and say “the healthiest diet is 100% meat,†people without a knack for thinking like a scientist can easily come away with this impression (I’ve seen it).

My own interpretation of the data presented in this book, however, is not that all carbohydrates are the enemy, but rather that quickly digesting (processed) carbs are the real problem. Taubes never refutes this as far as I could tell, though he does glorify meat-based diets (again remember the Inuit) as the best for optimal nutrition, while belittling the case for a balanced diet. But there is an important difference between saying “meat is good†and “all plants are bad,†which he never directly asserts.

Things I wonder about...
1) The diet he recommends allows artificial sweeteners. Does he look at any the research around them? I gave them up because I became convinced that on a biological level, they were very bad for the body... confusing that intricate mechanism for weight regulation. (And I have the same concerns about a lot of stuff added to heavily processed foods, which is why I try to avoid them. Whether my hypothesis is generally correct or not, I know it makes a difference to ME.)

2) Based on my own experience, I wonder if there are not multiple intervention points in the processes he talks about. Again, for ME, exercise made a critical difference in initially maintaining weight loss. If I don't exercise, I become sluggish. If I do exercise, initially it is draining... but if I stick to it, I get energy from it and feel bad when I miss it. It's like my body makes a shift of some kind, once I get over the initial adjustment.

3) I admit that I'm now curious about my own carb consumption, and may check it. During the week, I tend to do the "plate divisions" mod - one half fruits/veg, one fourth protein, one fourth carbs (preferably complex). I almost never have "two breads" at a meal. I'm now wondering if No-S has also led to low-carb for me, and I never cared enough to notice.

The same author I quoted above also has an article on "breaking sugar addiction" (today's article, which caught my eye, and serindipitously led to the GCBC review). Some items there also resonated:

http://summertomato.com/how-to-break-a- ... eedfetcher

Quote:

Cravings exist in both the body and the mind, and you will have the best luck overcoming them if you address both simultaneously.

The first step is good nutrition. A nourished body is a happy body, and permanently kicking a sugar habit requires healthy food.

...Healthy eating will not squelch cravings overnight, but it is essential for permanently cutting sugar because it ensures your body has everything it needs. Once your muscles and organs are taken care of, you can address the cravings in your brain.

I'm struck by how much No-S "gets right" just from the basic vanilla structure - cutting sweets cuts a lot of refined carbs, limiting eating to mealtime allows your insulin levels to drop, etc. But I am wondering if the people who've been most successful in the long run are those who also attend to WHAT they eat.

(Whew! That was long. And took too much time... )

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:12 pm

The Fajita bar yesterday was nice, but they handed me two tortillas at the beginning and I made two fajitas, just like everyone else. One plate, but really full! I left part of it.

But was glad later I'd eaten a lot, b/c dinner was not until 8:00 (usually 6-7ish). By the time it was dinnertime, it almost felt "too late" to eat, so I had my eggplant and fruit, but skipped the broccoli.

Today... no exercise yet. Wonky schedule, b/c of a dr's appointment in the am. Planning a yoga class later.

Br - 1/2 multigrain bagel, banana. I think I miss having PB or cheese on my bagel... starving now, and it's only 11:20. I will wait until at least 11:30 to eat lunch.
L - stuff from the deli bar of my fave organic grocery, combined with at-home stuff, to make a plate. I have some kale and pototoes and a calamari salad... eclectic, but stuff-I-like.
D - more fajitas! DS is taking meds that he can't have with milk, so I am having to plan around milk/cheese. Hard to do! And I have some avocadoes to use up... so this seemed the best plan.

Going out of town for a conference tomorrow, and planning ahead. It's a "local" conference - too close to work for me to be allowed lodging, even though it's 80 miles from my home! So, I'm staying with friends and making it a "girlfriends' occasion"! :) :) :) I'm meeting one group of friends for Thursday dinner at Longhorn's. I like their steak or chicken salads, which feel like a treat but are N-compliant as long as I don't eat a lot of of the bread with it. Willl be "fed" at the conference for lunch on Friday. More or less - I'll deal with whatever. On Friday, I'll go out with my hostess. That will be an "S" evening- I'm taking wine and Godiva dark chocolate almonds for an after-dinner treat.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:59 am

Well, dh went back to work and didn't stay for supper, and while HE would have loved fajitas, ds wouldn't. So I just made chicken tenders again, with potatoes and stir-fried onions and peppers (ds had peppers un-cooked, plus a clementine). Oh well - still good.

And I got in my yoga class - a good one. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:32 pm

Exercise - walking plus abs. At 6500 on pedometer.

Br - Banana and Greek yogurt (small flavored cup this time, instead of my scoop-of-plain with a dash of honey. Wanted something disposable.)
L - Work lunch. 1/2 Chick-Fil-A Chicken Wrap, green salad, fruit salad. Meh. Not quite enough, but I didn't want to go for seconds, so I'll deal.
D (planned) - Longhorn's salad.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:49 am

Ended up with about 9400 on the ped, IIRC.

Thursday evening didn't work out as planned. The Longhorn's we planned to go to (and have been to before) is closed. Still shows up on searches, but is gone. We went to a nearby Olive Garden....

Blew it. Ate salad and breadsticks before my meal. The salad wasn't so bad, but the bread was over the top. Technically, a fail. Rest of meal was the Venetian chicken with asparagus, which I liked well enough.

A fail-event. Oh well.

Friday...
Did 15 minutes of yoga before leaving for the conference. Go, me! I remain in awe of the difference consistency makes.

Br - cereal and banana
L - one buffet plate of reasonable food. I did have to resist a particular dessert, though - just exactly the kind of thing I love. (I did not have it. There will be nice food again...and I had planned an evening indulgence, so decided to wait.)
D - planned S-event. Went out with my hostess/friend to a really nice restaurant - one of those places where the food is really good, but portions small. I had scallops with shrimp risotto - really good, but I wish the veggies with it had been more than garnish. We split a dessert, which was also tasty but not huge, and had some chocolate and wine later in the evening. More window than I normally have, but over several hours...all good. A nice evening.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Saturday - S day. Very much so.

Started off eating relatively well, but I ended up snacking on chocolate all evening. Oh well. Quite done. And I did eat three meals, and enjoyed them.

Let's see if I can remember... a bit of a test for an over-the-top...
Br - Ate out with friend. One huge plate; I ate about half. Still a bit over-full. (An Italian-based breakfast entree that included spinach and mushrooms stacked with toast on hearty bread and egg... good, but a LOT.) Bought a treat for the family from the bakery.
L - home. I wasn't hungry on the road, and was eager to get home. The guys had eaten. I ate a hodge-podge of stuff from the fridge: Leftover potatoes (big serving), a slice of cheese, a double-serving of figs. And we split our bakery treat. I had bought two little tart/cakes, and had half of one. It was very rich.
D- salmon burgers, honeydew, broccoli. That was fine.
S - in addition to the bakery treats, I ate 2 homemade chocolate chip cookies, 3-4 Dove promises, a serving of chocolate mints, a few handfuls of almonds. I think that's it. I finally quit, realizing that I wasn't hungry and was just eating to avoid doing work of any kind - essentially, I was tired and didn't have enough energy to decide what to do, so was eating. Mindlessly.

Exercise was a little bit of yoga in the morning, but since my hostess was in a mood to get moving fast, only 10 minutes. I did stretches at different point during the day, and probably got in the rest of my time, but feel funny "counting" so little. So I won't.

Nice day, though. After breakfast out with my hostess, we went to meet another friend who was participating in an art fair and helped her set up her booth (photos). So good to see her too! Then there was the drive home and reunion with my family. All so good... I enjoyed the "girlfriend time" around the conference, and I was so happy to see my family. Just a few days away reminds me how much I love them. The rest of the day was family activities and clean-up... laundry, etc.

Sunday morning now... waffles for breakfast. I have a yeast-based overnight recipe that makes awesome waffles, really light, and the boys LOVE them (including our impromptu overnight guest - son begged for a sleepover, and we agreed). They drown theirs in syrup; I eat mine with cream cheese and all-fruit jam, plus fruit on the side.

We'll see how the day goes, but right now, it feels pretty "N-ish" to me. One over-the-top day will usually do it for me.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:41 pm

Sunday...

Br - waffle with cream cheese and jam, melon
L - salad, cheese and crackers.
S- 5 Dove Promises after lunch
D - chicken wings, oven fries, broccoli, melon
S - 2 chocolate-chip cookies and (later) 1/2 cup chocolate pudding.

I really was "done" for the day, but Wosnes posted a super recipe for microwave chocolate pudding that called my name out loud the minute I read it. Cake... meh. Not much into cake - it's merely a conveyance for icing in my book. Pudding? Oh, my. Love, love, love pudding.

The "individual" recipe actually made about a cup or a bit over. I shared it with my hubby... though I'm not sure that he recognized what a testament to my love for him that entailed.

Exercise was yoga class, and a walk with hubby. Nice.

==
Monday
Exercise: Yoga class

Br - yogurt and banana
L (planned) - Eggplant Parmesan (from freezer), salad, homemade bread. Yum!
D (planned) - pasta with clam sauce, salad, bread, fruit of some kind.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Yesterday all as planned. :) And I got in ALL my yoga class - got there early enough for it this time.

Tuesday
Exercise: Walk, abs. Not quite to 6000 on the pedometer, though, which is low. Will need to hustle somewhere to get in my steps. Also want to get in 15 minutes of yoga.

Br - oatmeal, figs
L - Not sure. I packed leftovers, then looked at my calendar and realized I'd set up a lunch meeting for today. Pooh! Oh well. If we go out, it will be to Longhorn's and I can get their steak salad, which I like. I just had my tastebuds set for my nice leftovers (spaghetti with clam sauce, salad, homemade bread).
D - black bean burritos, I think. With some kind of fruit/veg, of course.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Yesterday...
Got my 10,000 steps, though the last 500 included a lot of marching around the house feeling silly. And did my yoga - a relaxing bedtime routine.

Lunch was Longhorn's. Salad... plus bread. A "stacked plate" for sure. (Hubby now has the lunch I packed for yesterday.) Dinner was black bean burritos (a surprising hit with the little guy - I don't think he realized I put spinach in them), fruit... and chips and salsa, because. One plate, but a pretty full one again.

This morning, I weighed, and was at the top of my "range" - 146. Not surprising after big meals yesterday (technically No-S compliant, but large, and with a lot of salt) on top of a string of S-days (plus one fail) from last Th-Sun. I'm lucky it's not worse. However, it's nothing to panic over, since a few solid N-days will put me back on track. I will make an effort to watch my water intake today, and will check again on Friday or Saturday morning.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:09 am

Exercise - "Lunchtime Express" yoga class. Not my favorite one, but a good class. I felt it.

Br - Leftover bean burrito. Had some leftover, but wanted something else for lunch. Made a great breakfast.
L - One plate at my fave place, about 1:00 because of yoga. Mostly veg with a little tofu.
D - roast chicken, roasted carrots/onions, salad, rustic mashed potatoes.

For tomorrow (all planned)
Br - yogurt and figs
L - leftover chicken and leftover carrots, broccoli, crackers
D- chicken quesadillas from leftover chicken, veg/fruit tbd

My favorite grocery has revamped their website and evidently their customer database. To entice people to re-register, they gave away a coupon for "dinner" - a chicken, mashed potatos from the deli, and a pack of baby carrots, all free with a $10 purchase (which I would make anyway). So, that was our dinner (with the addition of salad b/c I like 2 veggies).

The bean burrito for breakfast was great. I was out of yogurt, tired of oatmeal, and resigned to a bagel... then I noticed the beans and decided to have my burrito for breakfast instead of lunch. Good stuff. It's interesting how many cultures include beans as a breakfast food, but we don't tend to here. Missing out. (It also brought back memories... when I was a teen, my mom insisted we eat something for breakfast. So, okay, we ate canned chili. Because if it was okay any other time of day, why wasn't it okay for breakfast? Wisely, she let that go. I still like non-breakfast food at breakfast time, and breakfast food for dinner.)

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:32 pm

Snow here... I am going into work late. Have a minute to write while I do some background computer stuff.

Loving the "internal personas" that Blithe and Noel have created - Miss Hartshorne and Madame Bonnevie, respectively. I have a little cast of characters that I use at times - I've written about them before - and it's great to have a group of them because they can "talk" to each other from different perspectives. But none of them have the level of personality that Miss H. and Madame B do. Maybe they need real names instead of just "Voice of Reason" and the like. Or just dusting off... it's been a while since I've used them. (Or maybe, I can just enjoy their characters and stop there... after all, "that's cool" does not necessarily imply "and I should do it too." It's okay just to appreciate and enjoy without adding personal obligations/comparisons. A lesson I keep learning...because, of course, I want to do everything. And do it well, of course. Right. ::laughing at self::)

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:55 am

Thursday was as planned as far as food. I didn't get my usual exercise, and missed it. I did fit in two 15-minute yoga sessions, which "counts" but isn't at the level I'm used to. But that's okay. It counts.

More and more, I think the secret of success with goal-setting is keeping goals small enough. At the "of course I can do that(insert eye-roll)" level. Or the "doh!" level. If it's much beyond that, a busy day will derail you. If you keep them at the "doh" level, you'll do something and feel good about it... and the habit continues to build.

Friday... a weird day. I did fit in a yoga flow class, which was challenging. Had a dr's appointment for me, and one for my son, so didn't go to work. Drove a lot, ran errands, ate out BOTH for lunch and dinner (though decent choices for both). I'm exhausted.

Br - yogurt and figs
L - Local burrito chain, with "choose yours stuff" burrito. I stuff mine with veggies and a bit of chicken - really good. For once, I left almost all the chips. Just too full.
D - One plate at health food deli that I love so much. Mostly veg and tofu.

I wanted a treat tonight, but settled for a glass of wine. Tomorrow will be here soon enough. And I have some nice treats lined up. :)

Funny... still have chocolate left from Christmas, and here it is Valentine's. That never used to happen... and I don't think we're buying more at Christmas.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:35 am

S-day. Got in a 15-min a.m. yoga session and a bit of walking. Wish it had been more, but okay.

Br - 2 eggs
L - green beans, cinnamon apples, cheese and crackers.
S - 2 Dove Promises, 2 cookies (Lacey's, from Trader Joe's. My current fave. Wish I could find a recipe for them.)
D - Out for Valentine's, at a nice restaurant with my sweetie and some other friends. I got shrimp and grits. It was good, but didn't really have any veggies beyond a few peppers and onions for garnish. I ate about half, then ordered a small side salad and ate that instead of finishing the entree - couldn't take not having veggies. Skipped dessert, only because none of them really appealed. I decided to wait until I got home and have some more cookies.
S - Two more Lacey cookies.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:58 pm

Sunday... no exercise, over-the-top eating. Such is life.

Breakfast - yogurt and figs.
L - there was a buffet of finger food at church... no plates. I mostly had savory things, but no idea how much. Felt a bit full... and in grazing mode for the afternoon. When we got home, son was still hungry (too busy playing to eat), so he had soup and I had cheese and crackers with him.
S- Grazed through the afternoon. In addition to the stuff at the buffet, I had TWO servings of Wosnes' chocolate pudding and about three cookies. At book club, I ate a chocolate strawberry (because I totally love them) but left the rest of the stuff - too full.
D - back on track with a real meal - tortellini and salad and green beans. Nice and light
S- chocolate for dessert... while I still could. :(

Glad to be back on an N-day.

Exercise this AM - Yogalates class. A lot of strength poses today.

Br - yogurt, apple
L (planned) eggplant parmesan, salad, bread
D (planned) - chicken with chard over rice, salad, maybe bread.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:42 pm

Yesterday's breakfast and dinner as planned. Lunch ended up being at the student center - I had meetings down there on either side, and didn't really have time to trek back to my office. One plate, two mini-quesadillas (4" tortillas, one bean, one veggie) and salad.

EDIT: OMG, totally forgot that I had two squares of chocolate in honor of Valentine's. (1/2 serving, according to the package... but all I wanted.) An S-event.

Today
Exercise - walk plus abs. However, only at 5600 steps. Will be a challenge to hit 10000 today. (Someone else here does a weekly target, and I've toyed with that... but I think for now it would add stress, so I'll keep it in mind for another time.)

Br - yogurt, apple
L - yesterday's packed lunch
D - TBD. Though I'm thinking fried rice with the leftover rice from the chicken and chard (I always cook extra while I'm cooking), and I have some brussel sprouts. Need to pair something with it that kiddo will eat willingly, though. (When I have one veg I know he dislikes, I try to make sure the other is acceptable.) Maybe carrots.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:59 am

Made my steps yesterday. 10700. Took a walk at lunch.

Today... Steps were under 2000. That's b/c I had 4 hours of driving for a meeting.

I did make it to most of my yoga class, which was extremely challenging. I have shoulder issues, and the class was focused on opening shoulders. AND included a lot of down-dog, chatteranga, and cobra - all good for me, but not easy. Actually started getting shaky and a little sick feeling... It felt to me like I was releasing toxins or something...but it may just have been menopause weirdness, since I'm dealing with some of that right now. At any rate, I made sure to drink a lot the rest of the day, and felt fine soon after.

Br - 1/2 bagel w/pb
L - sushi and figs and sesame balls (car food that I could eat with one hand while driving - a better choice than fast food, I thought.)
D - spinach salad and pizza. Not my fave, but my husband had already promised my son by the time I got home... And I wanted to visit with them.

Weight this morning back to 144.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:24 pm

Today

Exercise - walk and abs. Steps currently at 5900 - again, will have to push a bit to get to 10,000. And I want to do 15 minutes of yoga too. Consistency really matters on that, and hitting "5 of7" for yoga is my February goal.

Br - oatmeal with craisins and nuts
L - leftover shrimp-fried-rice, brussel sprouts, salad, and figs. A little large, but mostly with veg... and I think it would be one full plate.
D - TBD.

Okay, thinking about dinner...Son is going to a skating party that includes pizza, the most cardboard kind. He likes it, and I will let him have it, but I want something better. Time is an issue on this one: another mom is taking the kids, but we're tagging out when I get in from work and I'm taking them home. And the rink does not allow outside food.

Hm. Probably a good thing I have a big lunch - the easiest/best thing would be to wait until we get home to eat, which is hours later than normal. However, during times when meals are delayed, I think about all the intermittent fasting folks who manage for 24 hours (or so) at a time. I have no interest in intermittent fasting, but the "If they can do that, you certainly can manage 2 hours!" self-talk helps.

Let's see... I have some really nice cheese (I love good cheese) at home, and can have that with some crackers or homemade bread. And a sliced pear, which goes wonderfully with cheese. Maybe carrots or another easy veg. That's a meal that I'd like but don't get that often because it's not satisfying to the family.

Good. Having that to look forward to will keep me out of the cardboard pizza.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:38 pm

An informative post by Funfuture that I want to refer to later....
Thanks, KCCC.

The book is "Eight Steps to Happiness" the science of getting happy and how it can work for you" by Dr Anthony M Grant and Alison Leigh.

It's based on a TV series called "Making Australia Happy". The website for the series is at: http://makingaustraliahappy.abc.net.au/
That website also has a link to the book.

The TV series took a group of volunteers from a Sydney suburb that was found in a national survey to have the lowest rates of "wellbeing" in Australia. They then filmed them over a couple of months as they took the "8 steps to happiness".

The website's a bit of fun. You can take a test on it that measures your happiness levels. The idea is that you test again once you follow the steps they suggest. The happiness ratings of the 8 volunteers skyrocketed as they completed the course.

The people who made the show tested the participants before and after in a range of ways - psychologically and physically. They found their cortisol and stress levels dropped; melatonin levels increased by an average of 60%; three people in the group had high blood pressure to begin with but this dropped significantly (35/16); cholesterol dropped by a minimum of .5 of a point; immunoglobulin levels increased; pain tolerance increased markedly; neural activity decreased by an average of 50% (a quiet brain is a happy brain)...etc...

The website gives activities to complete that are part of the first three of the eight steps to happiness (a taste of the program).

One of the first things the book and the program recommend is that you write your own eulogy - so that you get a good feel for your own values and how you want your life to turn out (ie not based on the expectation of others, but on what you really want).

It also recommends that you eat well, exercise regularly and get enough sleep as health is a good foundation for happiness.

But the 8 actual steps are (or the headings for them are...)
- Goals and Values
- Random acts of kindness
- Mindfulness
- Strengths and Solutions
- Gratitude
- Forgiveness
- Social networks
- Reflect, review, renew.

The book has a section on the science behind the recommended program.

I've been dipping in and out of it, but so far I've found it very interesting. What's surprising about it is the science behind it - Basically, the 8 steps boil down to what our mothers always told us...That a "good" life involves
- having compassion and kindness towards others - being altruistic
- staying true to ourselves
- appreciating the moment rather than living in the past or the future
- appreciating what we have - gratitutude
- letting go of resentments and anger
- working on relationships with friends, relatives, etc. Strong social networks increase happiness
- expressing yourself openly and honestly (journalling your thoughts and feelings, e.g., is apparently a very effective stress release and promoter of happiness).
- self-reflection - understanding our own role in our circumstances and taking responsibility for our own lives/futures.

But it is fascinating to see hard evidence of the difference taking the course made to the volunteers - psychologically and physically.

Interesting stuff.
cheers
fun

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:55 pm

Managed to avoid the cardboard pizza with the thought of my nice dinner awaiting me. I had banana (forgot I'd intended to have pear) and salad with my cheese and crackers.

It was so good I decided to have it again for lunch today. :)

AAAND... I managed to get my 10,000 steps (by walking around the house for the last 1500) and did a bedtime yoga sequence. I went to bed filled with virtue. ;)

Today
Exercise - killer step class. It's so tough that it makes me think that I really need to "up" the cardio on my walks. Which I'd already been thinking... I haven't been mixing in running because the impact bothers my neck, but means that the walks don't get my heart rate up much. Hm.

Br- yogurt and banana
L - (planned) Cheese, crackers, salad, leftover brussel sprouts, figs
D - (planned) Either tuna melts or salmon burgers - will consult with the guys. (Either way, it's "fish from a can," lol!), salad, fruit.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:15 pm

Went out with the guys instead of doing the tuna melts... and did the Friday night slide. But even though I did taper off on Sunday like I'm s'posed to, it felt like a failure. I think b/c I ate less mindfully and more "out of stress" than I like. So, I've put it down as a fail on my Habitcal.

Friday night - Ryan's. Seconds (small). Followed by mass quantities of Trader Joe's dark chocolate orange candies - close to half the box. On the plus side... I got in my 10,000 steps and did yoga.

Saturday - no exercise, and too much time in the car. (Went to see Mom before her next operation. A really good visit.) I regret the yoga - missed my personal goal of 5/week, even though I hit the "official" challenge of 3/week.
Br - totally can't remember, but something normal-ish. Bread and cheese?
L - Steak! (BIL can get really good ones from a butcher, and cooks them out on the gril for us. Since Mom can't eat out b/c of the salt issues this is our new family indulgence), baked potato, salad, homemade rye bread (which I contributed b/c my mom loves rye bread and can't use bought).
S - small piece of pie I made for my folks. Stevia-sweetened, no salt.
D - Steak salad made with lunch leftovers, potato.
S - snacked on almonds and prunes through the day. Wanted chocolate, but none around.

Sunday
Br - Toast from the homemade bread, banana
L - "Breakfast in a cup" at a convenience store deli on our way home. Surprisingly good - made from scratch, not boxed. Grits in a styrofoam coffee cup, topped with cheese, scrambled egg, and bacon. (Okay the bacon had been cooked ahead and crumbled, and was microwaved to re-heat it. But it was real bacon. Grits were real grits, in a crockpot, and they cooked the egg while we waited.) My son did comment that "food in a cup" was like Wall-E. Too right!
S - Most of the rest of the pack of chocolates from Trader Joe's once we got home. (blush) My S-day stopped there.
D - pesto tortellini with ricotta, salad, strawberries.
Exercise - went for a walk when I got home, and did 30 minutes of yoga. Felt so good.

Weight this morning was 144.5, so not too bad. It's usually a tiny bit higher right after S-days.

Monday

Exercise - yoga class. Nice and stretchy.
Br - yogurt, banana
L - TBD. I brought salad and frozen bean soup, but am not excited about them. May go to the cafeteria.
D - homemade chicken "nuggets" (boneless chicken coated with cracker crumbs and baked) and oven fries, plus veg and fruit. A family favorite, and SOOOO much healthier than fast-food versions!

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:08 pm

Yesterday - went to the cafeteria. One plate of various things, mostly veggie. And I allowed myself an extra coffee after. :)
Dinner - as planned except we had sweet potatoes, not baking. So we had sweet potato rounds (baked with a sprinkle of cinnamon), sliced pears, and salad.

Today
Exercise - walking and abs. Up to 6400 on the pedometer. Target is 10,000 by the end of the day.

Br - yogurt, apple
L - yesterday's lunch, with the addition of leftover sweet potatoes.
D - TBD. I have leftover chicken from yesterday, so need something I can do with a small-ish quantity of sliced boneless chicken breast. Probably a stir-fry of some kind. Or a fajita-type dish.

ETA: Lunch was really good. Why is it that 2 food items don't feel like "enough" to me, but three do? Even when the food items are complex dishes, like my bean soup and salad - really enough food, but "felt" incomplete. The two slices (yes, that's all) of sweet potato totally changed my perception of my lunch. Irrational, but real-to-me on some level.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:44 pm

Dinner last night was stir-fry with the chicken and sliced onion, couscous, peas'n'carrots, and sliced apples and pears.

I did get in my 10,000 steps, but only through a rather ludicrous amount of marching in place while folding laundry, etc. (I've decided that if I can't make 10,000 steps on the days I walk for exercise.. that's too pathetic to accept. So, am trying to do at least that much. Good grief, I have a sedentary life!)

Also got in "bedtime yoga," which felt great.

Today...
Exercise - Yogalates class. Not my beloved Anusara Yoga class, but a good workout.

Br - yogurt and apple
L - planning for "one plate" at the cafeteria
D - TBD. Probably the tuna melts or salmon burgers I have yet to make...

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Decided to make last night's dinner a treat, and stopped by Trader Joe's and got sushi, peanut-ginger noodles, and nori snacks. Delish!

Then I drove the 2 hours to my folks. Today, we're at the hospital - Mom's having a pacemaker put in. Had to leave the house at 4 AM, so am tired. Will be doing "relaxed No-S" today - vanilla with no worries about what's on the plate.

Br (about 8:00) - bacon, biscuit and gravy, potatoes, fruit. And I could have eaten more, but recognized that it was because of stress.

ETA: Mom made it through the surgery. Such a relief! (This is supposed to be routine, but last time was supposed to be as well...and wasn't. So we were all anxious.)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:23 pm

I'm glad your Mom's procedure went well.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:49 pm

Kevin wrote:I'm glad your Mom's procedure went well.
Thanks, Kevin. Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only now that it's over can I admit how scared I really was. Last August she wnt in for a "routine" heart cath and ended up with an emergency bypass and nearly died. Her recovery took months...it was a really frightening roller-coaster.

So, when we were faced with another "routine" procedure that was supposed to be sort of on the same level as the cath...we all kind of tensed.

But this time, she was sitting up an hour after, perfectly coherent, and not even seeming to be uncomfortable.

It's a great day.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:30 pm

Hi KCCC - I'm so pleased your mum's procedure went well. The last few months have been such an anxious time for you and you must be so relieved that today went well. Thank you for taking the time to post on my thread when you have had other things to think about :)

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:23 pm

KCCC,

Hi there, just stopping by to say hi! Always read your thread and enjoy it. I am also glad that everything went well with your mom. Sounds like you are busy as usual. :wink: Your food always sounds so good and I love hearing about the little guy, you seem to have a wonderful family.
Berry

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:59 pm

Thanks, IDK and Berry. Today has just been a lovely, lovely day... after about 9:30 our time, when the dr came out to say that it all went well. :)

We've just been hanging out with Mom in her hospital room. I've been on the computer when she's sleeping... keeping up with work email, starting on taxes, and visiting here. :) ("We" is me and my Dad and my youngest sister. My other sister can't get here until tomorrow.) The room is nicer than some of the other hospitals we've been in, and we can all fit in pretty comfortably. And the big delight is that Mom is alert and just "herself," which feels like a small miracle. I called my guys to let them know, and everything is fine on the home front.. (As expected. Hubby is a good dad.)

And I do think I have a lovely family, Berry, though I'm highly biased! I feel very, very fortunate in that regard. (That's not to say we always see eye-to-eye, but we always care about each other. One sister summed it up in the cute ornaments she gave me and my other sister for Christmas. It said "We are sisters. Same blood, different planets." I laughed SO hard!)

===
Food...
Cafeteria food all day. Okay, but not great.

L - salad, chicken breast, crackers. Not being "good," it was just the most appealing of the options. I did consider fries, but decided to wait until dinner... but then they weren't available at dinner. Oh well. "There will be nice food again."
D - roast pork, salad, whole-wheat toast, figs (packed in my bag, b/c I love them, and virtual-plated).

Exercise... none official. However, I am up to 7300 on the pedometer, mostly because the cafeteria is a long way away!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:03 am

I'll be thinking about you and your family. I'm sorry you all are going through such a stressful time, and am glad your mother's procedure has gone well.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:18 am

I'm thinking of you too, KCCC. It sounds like the procedure will make a difference to your mother's future health, so it is great that it went well.
Fun
x

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:27 pm

Noel, Fun, thanks!

Everything seems to be checking out okay on the new pacemaker. We're waiting on the doctor to come to release Mom now. She had a good night, and seems fine. Dad and I stayed here (he will NOT leave when she's in the hospital, but knows he can't hear her if she needs something, so one of us stays too), Sis went to her house (she's local, and has school-age kids), but is coming back in a bit.

I got up to 9500 on the pedometer last night, walking around for exercise, but couldn't manage the last 500. Too tired, and it was reaching the point where people were looking at me funny for walking the halls (that "are you supposed to be here?" look).

Br this morning - bacon, fruit cup, biscuit with sausage gravy. Not the most nutritious choice, but I do like biscuits and gravy and they're way too much trouble to make for myself! Plus a latte... I normally drink cafe au lait at home, which I make using the microwave, so a latte is as close as I can usually get when I'm away. Ridiculously expensive...Oh, well - my choice to pay it (when I could get free coffee) because it's what I like. (One of my beliefs is "Recognize choice"... the longer form is "choose what will make you happy, then be happy with what you chose." Sometimes a challenge.)

I'm meandering. There's not much to do here, so I'm writing... A little tired, but very content with life at this moment.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:57 pm

KCCC wrote:A little tired, but very content with life at this moment.
Thanks for sharing the good news about your mom.
I hope you are taking good care of yourself in this very difficult time.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:14 am

BrightAngel wrote:
KCCC wrote:A little tired, but very content with life at this moment.
Thanks for sharing the good news about your mom.
I hope you are taking good care of yourself in this very difficult time.
Lol! Oh, yes, I am taking care of myself, BA - thank you! No-s is some of the best self-care there is when I'm stressed. That, and whatever exercise I can manage...and sleep. The three-legged stool of health: Reasonable food, exercise, and rest.

Sleep has been the most neglected, because of circumstances. But I'll make up for that tonight!

==
L - Cafeteria food, because the doctor didn't make it by to release Mom until about 1:00. Salad, those sweet potato fries I wanted yesterday, and some chicken wings. Rather a large serving, but I enjoyed them.
D - back at Mom's house. Fish, salad, strawberries, homemade bread, and some of my figs for a treat.

Exercise - none to speak of, alas. About 5000 on the pedometer, but that's it. Might fit in bedtime yoga if I don't crash first.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:52 pm

Mom was released about 1PM on Friday. I left for home Saturday afternoon, and am back. Now I have a dr's appointment for me today (Monday), so am a little off schedule... but kind of like having an extra day at home. (I took sick leave for the day, but will probably do some work anyway.)

Saturday...(from memory)
Br - omelet with cheese and mushrooms and toast. A big breakfast.
L - huge salad, beans/rice/sausage (Sis was experimenting with low-salt homemade sausage for Mom, which came out well. My own experiment with low-salt cottage cheese did not - I threw it out.)
D (at home) - chicken quesadillas, salad
S - LOTS! A bunch of figs, eaten in the car on the drive home. (Not good - car eating is never a good choice). 5 chocolate truffles left from Christmas (3= 1 serving). Half a chocolate bar that I bought but didn't care for, so stopped eating. Two Tootsie rolls. I think there's more, but can't recall anything else... but it felt like more. Felt like a lot, though below "feeling sick" point.
Exercise: Bedtime yoga. Not much, but I did well to get that in.

Sunday
Br - egg, toast, milk
L - one plate at "4th Sunday" (Church dinner). None of the desserts looked appealing, or I would have had one. Did have one bite of icing from hubby's cake.
D - chicken salad (that is, green salad topped with chicken breast), orange slices, bread
S - 3 Truffles when I got home from lunch, a mini-canoli and some sesame/honey candies after yoga (really good quality treats!), 2 homemade chocolate chip cookies after dinner.

Exercise: Yoga class.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:58 pm

Monday...

Exercise - morning yoga (20 min - barely enough to count, but it does count)

Br - 1/2 multi-grain bagel with PB, 2 figs
L - Cup of miso soup, PB crackers, clementine, red pepper strips
D - Cup of tomato soup, ham sandwich, cantaloupe

Boy, more of a "soup day" than normal!

Sore from yesterday's class, which included a lot of hip openers. Since I sit a lot... well, I suppose this shows I need them.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:49 pm

Tuesday

Exercise - walking plus abs. I'm up to 6900 steps, so should make my 10,000 today. [ETA" 10,500.] To get that (and get my heartrate up), I did a little running, and am hoping it will not bother my neck. I stretched it carefully after... we'll see. Yoga is helping me align better in daily movement, but I'm too used to mis-alignment, so it takes some adjustment and sometimes creates soreness from muscles that are not strong enough to do their job. Working on it.

Br - yogurt, clementine.
L (planned) - stuffed shells with tomato sauce, canteloupe, figs
D (planned) - stuffed shells with tomato sauce, veg/fruit TBD

I made the shells last night, for today. The lunch ones are the "broken" shells with the leftover filling and a bit of sauce. Pre-leftovers, lol!
Last edited by kccc on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:11 am

Dinner ended up being the rest of the tomato soup, a ham sandwich, and a clementine. Hubby called to say he had a work meeting, and they were having pizza... so I chose the easy road, used up leftovers from yesterday, and will have the pasta shells tomorrow. All good.

March already.

I managed yoga at least 3 days of the week in February. I'd hoped for 5, but didn't hit that... but 3 was the official goal on the challenge. "Aim at the stars, and hit the moon." Better than I was doing.

For March, continuing yoga. Also doing "29 gifts", which I'm pleased will roughly coincide with Lent. (See http://www.29gifts.org/). Got one today. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:10 am

Exercise - Yoga class. Had to miss my intense one and do "yoga express," but it was still good.

Br - 1/2 multigrain bagel with PB, juice
L - One plate at my favorite place.
D - Pasta shells, broccoli, clementine, small slice homemade bread.

Tomorrow will include an "S-event" for me. There is a work party planned, and I was asked to pick up the cake that someone ordered as a gift. This cake is from a renowned local baker; in this town, if you say you got "a Cecelia cake," people know what you mean. Her cakes are expensive. And worth it. I intend to have a slice, because (a) a Cecelia cake doesn't come along often in my life, and (b) it's definitely S-worthy.

But that's an S-event, not an S-day. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:31 pm

Thursday

Exercise - walking (plus running) and abs. Up to 6900 on the pedometer as of this morning.

Br - yogurt and clementine
L (planned) - leftover shells and broccoli, figs, small slice homemade bread.
D - (planned) Tuna melts, salad, other fruit/veg tbd
S (planned NWS) - Slice of cake

Kind of a carb-heavy day, I'm noticing. Between the Taubes discussion on this board and the diabetes education we got while Mom was in the hospital, I"m noticing carbs more. Not sure I want to, though...

On the education... Mom has diabetes, and needs to watch what she eats. The sodium has been such a killer for her that we've been focused on it to the exclusion of other concerns (too much to manage, just from a cognitive/logistic perspective). Of course, we've watched pure sugar, but she's eaten a lot of sugar-free things that we thought were okay. Now that we have sort of a handle on sodium, we're trying to do better overall.

Sugar-free does not mean carb-free... even though sugar is a big source of carbs, of course, and one that causes an immediate spike in bloos sugar.

One serving of carbs is 15 grams. So, you can look at the nutrition labels and figure out how many "servings" something is. You can take off for fiber (slows absorption), and if the sugar alchols are over 5, you can take off half of those (so, if they're 6, you can take off 3). That gives you "net carbs".

They figure the number of servings you can have based on caloric intake - the target is 50% of calories for Mom, which works out to about 13 servings according to the dietician. I think that was based on 1600 calroies, but would have to do the math to confirm. (And I think I'm missing a variable - how many calories a gram of carb has. Nine?)

The key is spacing out the carbs she's allowed - not too many at once - and always having protein with them. And she also needs to time her meds a little differently, so that they kick in about the same time the sugar from the carbs does. Since her sugar tends to be very, very low in the mornings, she needs a tiny PM snack that includes carb and protein.

So, all of this info has made me notice that my lunch has double carbs, followed by cake.

Oh well... I think most of my carbs generally come from fruit/veg/dairy, so I'm just not going to go nuts tracking.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:56 pm

KCCC wrote:Between the Taubes discussion on this board
and the diabetes education we got while Mom was in the hospital,
I"m noticing carbs more. Not sure I want to, though...
Image KCCC, I enjoyed your post today.
Sometimes knowledge sucks.

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:04 pm

KCCC,

Carbs have 4 calories per gram, same as protein.

Fats have 9 calories per gram, and

Alcohol has 7 calories per gram.
Eileen

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:08 pm

Eileen7316 wrote:KCCC,

Carbs have 4 calories per gram, same as protein.

Fats have 9 calories per gram, and

Alcohol has 7 calories per gram.
Thanks, Eileen! I knew I remembered 9 from somewhere, but it didn't "sound right."

The math for Mom's "allowance" does work, then: 15 (grams/serving) x 13 (servings) x (4 calories/gram) = 780 calories, which is just under half of 1600. (I love how the measurements cancel out as you do the multipication.)

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:03 pm

My planned slice of cake today was absolutely worth it. "Spanish Lemon," with 7-minute icing. Lovely. I'm not normally a big cake fan, but the ones from this baker are different.

But I couldn't finish it. So... I didn't. I stopped eating when I stopped enjoying it.

I feel that this was a well-chosen and well-managed NWS event. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:04 pm

Dinner last night changed... Hubby called, and asked if we could eat out because "it had been a hard day." I agreed, and we went to a favorite Italian place that we love.

I virtual-plated a bit, but think I had one full plate. They serve delicious but huge plates of pasta. I ordered a half-size spinach salad first, then ate what I consider a normal serving of my pasta and boxed up the rest for lunch today. (Actually, lunch for me AND hubby!! A lot of pasta.) The quantity felt right in my tummy.

Got in my 10,000 steps... but despite the good start, it took marching around the house at the end of the day to get it. Sigh. Also bedtime yoga, as a cool-down, which felt good.

Today...
Exercise - Killer step class... which was a little less "killing" as I'm getting in better shape for it.
Br - yogurt, clementine
L - leftover pasta, salad, apple
D - the tuna melts we didn't have last night...

All good.